• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riddick Blu Ray Hype thread: Chronicles of Riddick Butcher Bay and Dark Athena Replay

chroniclesofriddickassaultondarkathena-theme1.jpg

+

DualShock_4_13614638446048.jpg

Starring:

vin-diesel-picture-1.jpg

cole_hauser300.jpg

image.jpg

ron-perlman-hellboy6.jpg

Joaquim.De.Almeida.Clear.and.Present.Danger.JPG

xzibit-happy.jpg

John_DiMaggio.jpg

=

159.gif

In celebration of the upcoming (and somewhat divisive) Blu Ray of Riddick on Jan.14th, join me in a Hard Mode play through of the game that started it all! ….and it's solid (to me at least) sequel.
Championed by what is now mostly Machine Games (upcoming Wolfenstein: The New Order) and was once Starbreeze, this is the game that arguably kept the franchise alive for the almost 9 years.
Released in 2004 exclusively on the OG Xbox, the title broke the fucking mold in establishing that a licensed IP can work.

I just started Butcher Bay on Hard mode and noticed that you will die quick as soon as you take gun fire, so this'll be interesting...
Right away what STILL stands out to me is the performances, writing, and excellent (though obviously a bit dated) presentation.

More impressions to come!

Grief.exe

If you guys are going to be playing the PC version, make sure you grab it on GOG.

The Steam version, which isn't even available on Steam anymore, is riddled with horrible DRM.

epmode

Riddick and Half-Life 2 were released in the same year. Unbelievable. Whatever happened to awesome single-player first person shooters?

edit: WITH A DECENT STORY

Evo X

Escape from Butcher Bay is one of my favorite games of all time. God DAMN, that game oozed atmosphere.

Lain

In celebration of the upcoming (and somewhat divisive) Blu Ray of Riddick on Jan.14th, join me in a Hard Mode play through of the game that started it all! ….and it's solid (to me at least) sequel.
Championed by what is now mostly Machine Games (upcoming Wolfenstein: The New Order) and was once Starbreeze, this is the game that arguably kept the franchise alive for the almost 9 years.
Released in 2004 exclusively on the OG Xbox, the title broke the fucking mold in establishing that a licensed IP can work.

I just started Butcher Bay on Hard mode and noticed that you will die quick as soon as you take gun fire, so this'll be interesting...
Right away what STILL stands out to me is the performances, writing, and excellent (though obviously a bit dated) presentation.

More impressions to come!

Why is it divisive?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Riddick and Half-Life 2 were released in the same year. Unbelievable. Whatever happened to awesome single-player first person shooters?

edit: WITH A DECENT STORY

Consortium just came out today and is supposed to have a pretty good story.

Call of duty happen

The original Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2 have probably some of the most unique stories in all of fps actually. That's not to say that they told good stories, but they weren't something you see everyday.

Grief.exe

The original Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2 have probably some of the most unique stories in all of fps actually. That's not to say that they told good stories, but they weren't something you see everyday.

I swear you have Stockholm Syndrome with the Call of Duty series lol

Watevaman

Man, I loved Butcher Bay but I could never get through Dark Athena. Don't even really remember how far I made it, but I might have to give it another try.

Stitch

Gold Member
The Steam version, which isn't even available on Steam anymore, is riddled with horrible DRM.

People make it sound worse than it actually is.

It prevents you from installing the game more than 3 times in 30 days. I'm not sure why anyone would do this.
After 30 days you get all your installations back.

Grief.exe

It prevents you from installing the game more than 3 times in 30 days. I'm not sure why anyone would do this.

It also implants its self into your registry and scans other installs on your computer.

Tages is pretty dirty.

Totally fucked up my install on my laptop after I played the game.

CronoShot

I watched Pitch Black for the first time the other day. Pretty decent movie. I'm watching them in order, so Chronicles of Riddick is next. Heard it's shit, but oh well.

Anyway, I definitely need to get around to playing Butcher Bay. I've had Dark Athena on PS3 for a while now, but I've never gotten around to playing it.

geomon

I watched Pitch Black for the first time the other day. Pretty decent movie. I'm watching them in order, so Chronicles of Riddick is next. Heard it's shit, but oh well.

Anyway, I definitely need to get around to playing Butcher Bay. I've had Dark Athena on PS3 for a while now, but I've never gotten around to playing it.

Watch the director's cut of Chronicles. It makes it a lot better.

epmode

The fact that it requires a server check beyond Steam's is reason enough to avoid it. It's another meaningless point of failure and I'm positive that those authentication servers won't be around for much longer. And unless we see another Riddick game to revive interest in the franchise, Atari or whoever won't pay to have Tages patched out.

I'm pretty happy with the GOG release though!

Stitch

Gold Member
It also implants its self into your registry and scans other installs on your computer.

Tages is pretty dirty.

Totally fucked up my install on my laptop after I played the game.

mh never had any problems and installed the game several times.

I'm watching them in order, so Chronicles of Riddick is next. Heard it's shit, but oh well.

nah, only the theatrical version.

dhonk

I fucking LOVE Escape from Butcher Bay. In fact, I did my first (and thus far only) lets play of this game.

It feels like the videogame equivalent of a really good R rated movie if that makes sense. Incredible art direction, atmosphere, voice acting. Truly top notch.

Watch the director's cut of Chronicles. It makes it a lot better.

Just watched it again a couple of months back...

The scale, fucking rad art design, inspired wirework, and characters (sans Dame Vaako and Jack) are still awesome.
Its the goddamned too on the nose writing that almost undoes all of it. Its the complete opposite of Pitch Black's badass dialog.
Flick admirably tried to bring Space Opera back though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Not too interested in replaying the game as much as I liked it, but definitely gonna have to watch this non-theatrical cut of Chronicles...

"Wherever Riddick has gone, you lens him out and cleanse him."

Richard B. Riddick: Remember that favorite game of yours?

Kyra: "Who's the Better Killer?"

Richard B. Riddick: Let's play.

uuugggghh :(

Linus Roche aka Bruce Wayne's Dad aka The Purifier was a total boss though and needed MUCH more screen time.

ridd_013LinusRoache.jpg

"...In this verse, life is antagonistic to the natural state. Here humans in all their various races are a spontaneous outbreak. An unguided mistake. Our purpose is to correct that mistake... because there is another verse. A verse where life is welcomed and cherished. A ravishing ever-new place called Underverse... but the road to that verse crosses over the threshold."

FrsDvl

Damn i can't believe it's actually been 10 years since i've played this almost.. I was 14 when it came out, and played it for hours on an end. I might have to buy this again.

Holy shit, EFBB on Hard is gross :(

It's... Just... Not.. Fun

Enemies shots kill you in pretty much one hit and the AI basically either always knows where you are or has a .5 second reaction time.
The heavy controls aren't meant for twitch reactions either.

velociraptor

This port is atrocious.

I've enabled triple buffering and forced V-sync through the Nvidia control panel but the game has horrendous lag.

It's a shame because it's probably the one of the best FPS experiences you can play on the PC.

Got excited for second cuz I thought these were getting a PS4 release :/ I have em on my computer but it doesn't run very well. I should get back to my playthrough though, the game is sick.

Stein3x

This port is atrocious.

I've enabled triple buffering and forced V-sync through the Nvidia control panel but the game has horrendous lag.

It's a shame because it's probably the one of the best FPS experiences you can play on the PC.

I love the game but i have the same problem , i cant enable v-sync without taking a big hit in frames.I'm able to play it on 4k+4AA with a solid 60fps but once i turn on the f.vsync it stays in locked 39fps which doesn't make sense at all -_- cosidering there'a available power to run it properly.

velociraptor

I love the game but i have the same problem , i cant enable v-sync without taking a big hit in frames.I'm able to play it on 4k+4AA with a solid 60fps but once i turn on the f.vsync it stays in locked 39fps which doesn't make sense at all -_- cosidering there'a available power to run it properly.
How do you run the game at 60FPS without enabling V-sync? Do you get tearing?

Top Bottom