• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer 6: What would you like to see ? [aka save the Arcade Racers !!!]

ourumov

This E3 was a bit dissapointing in the sense that I expected some RR6 footage and nothing appeared. It's quite understandable considering Ridge Racers has just been released in JP and US an has yet to be released in Europe but well...

I think that at this stage it's pretty clear that the Ridge Racer family is split between those that look for cool style (RRT4 and Rage Racer fans) versus those that just want great gameplay (RR5 and Rave Racer lovers).
Of course Ridge Racers came as the solution to this dilema offering for the first time all the great things from all the Ridge Racers. It has the great gameplay from V and Rave while it keeps the style in track design only RRT4 and Rage have.

That said, RR6 has a tough job to surpass the almighty Ridge Racers. Well, in my opinion RR5 is still the king but Ridge Racers would be the winner if we considered the averaged opinion we all fans have.

Considering all this, RR6 should accomplish many things in my opinion.

1. Regenerate the Arcade Racers genre. It's pretty clear that the genre needs a formula to be on top again. Most successful racing games are just mere wannabe-sims copying the GT formula and the arcade genre is slowly dying. Something needs to be done !
I think the main problem is the durability of the genre. Some strategies to make games longer include doing tons of stupid championships that have the same tracks...or just beat X trophies to gain the Y car...I think it's pretty stupid. They should think in other things !

2. Focuss in it's own style. Burnout 3 separates tracks in different zones from the world, those being pretty easy to identify...This is a good strategy but it's booooring.
I think it's much better to have your own style ! (think in Rave City Downtown or the Amusement Park from Daytona 2). Ridge Racer series are placed in a nearby future in some obscure city from Asia...they should stay there.

3. Following the previous point, I think another thing they should improve is the surroundings. RRV was astounding in the sense that it seemed alive. That's what I loved from RRV's city ! Sure we are talking about a racing game, but this little details is what makes the difference ! The same could be said about Super GT or Daytona USA 2 tracks, which have tons of elements on the backgrounds that helped them being legends !!!

4. Evolving gameplay. In my opinion RR series should bring gameplay to a next step. Sure the drifting system is cool as hell and I think they should keep it as it is. But I think they should make more elements enter into action. For instance, in Daytona USA/2 the manual drive is pretty important in order to take turns. Perhaps RR should give more importance to this. I won't enter in the nitros matter since even though I enjoyed them in RRacers some purists want them out of the game.

5. Music. Considering this an important subject of discussion, I think they should try to fit the most possible styles there. Either if you love the Acid Jazz from RRT4, to Mijk Van Dik's RRV soundtrack or Ayako Saso/Shinji Hosoe/Khota/Sanodg music, you should be able to find the tracks you like there.

6. Graphics. Even though we don't know if this game is planned in any form...If it will be for X360 or PS3 (or Rev...) I think we should expect a lot from Namco. Their first gen titles always are the ones with best graphics and I doubt this is different in RR6.

rr5-ss03.jpg

1.) Improve on Rage Racer's gameplay
2.) Keep the artstyle of RRV
3.) RRT4's music style (also include some Ridge Racers songs such as Disco Ball)
4.) Online play

ourumov

I would like Namco to concentrate on a single platfform whatever it is...And bring the best they can do with it. :)

Wherever RR6 is, I'll be there :p

I was pretty happy when the RR5 for GC rumour appeared. I wondered if they would add something or not, if it would be better graphically, etc.

What a pitty they killed it !

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
Noooooooo.

I don't care what platform it falls on as long as they don't port it around.
Why not? I'd like to see a multiplatform RR6 (PS3/360/Rev) with interplatform online play. Maybe even a scaled down release for PS2/PSP.

Most likely though, we'll get a PS3 only offline RR6. :(

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
jarrod said:
Multiplatform.
Good ol' jarrod. Keep the dream alive ;-)

Anyway I would like to see Ridge Racer VI: Arcade Battle use a data card and upgrade system ala Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune I/II. Not necessarily keeping track of what opponents you have beaten rather what tracks you have placed first in. Should Ridge Racer VI offer a upgrade system for your car? I think so, but again in the same vein like Namco's other racer WM:MT.

Ridge Racer VI Tuning cards like this:
card.jpg

When you place first place enough times or earn enough points, you can tune your car slowly with no real external changes(yet) to either more handling(more drift or more grip?) or more speed:
tuning_screen.jpg

And after you win against someone in battle mode you earn more stars:
mode_screen4.jpg

jarrod

Banned
Defensor said:
Good ol' jarrod. Keep the dream alive ;-)
I know... first Namco ignores a golden opportunity with Tekken 5, then they allow a Sony moneyhat to kill Soul Calibur's multiplatform brand momentum. I don't doubt we'll only see RR6 on PS3. Unless NST ports it. :/

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jarrod said:
Why not? I'd like to see a multiplatform RR6 (PS3/360/Rev) with interplatform online play. Maybe even a scaled down release for PS2/PSP.

Most likely though, we'll get a PS3 only offline RR6. :(

99% of the games released on all systems end up suffering in one way or another. Developers end up generalizing many of their techniques (avoiding the strongest unique areas of each systems hardware) while failing to maximize performance. To be fair, Soul Calibur 2 was the best multiplatform effort I saw last gen, but it had a few issues that would not have been present in a single platform game AND did not take advantage of each platform as well as it could have.

I want fully optimized games created for specific systems. One platform often means more polished technology and more time for the developer to focus on the game itself. The end result is a better product.

I will own all next-gen consoles as I own all current consoles. So, it will not matter which platform receives which game. You only own handhelds at this point, correct? Does this game even matter to you? Does online play even matter?

Elios83

Namco should really think about where they want to bring the series.
The same gameplay of the 32 bit episodes with updated graphics won't work anymore.
I'd like Namco to use PS3 capabilities to introduce a really impressive phisics simulation,of course keeping the 100% arcade style.A next gen Burnout without traffic could be cool.
I hope the game will be shown this TGS.

dark10x said:
99% of the games released on all systems end up suffering in one way or another. Developers end up generalizing many of their techniques (avoiding the strongest unique areas of each systems hardware) while failing to maximize performance. To be fair, Soul Calibur 2 was the best multiplatform effort I saw last gen, but it had a few issues that would not have been present in a single platform game AND did not take advantage of each platform as well as it could have.

I want fully optimized games created for specific systems. One platform often means more polished technology and more time for the developer to focus on the game itself. The end result is a better product.

I will own all next-gen consoles as I own all current consoles. So, it will not matter which platform receives which game. You only own handhelds at this point, correct? Does this game even matter to you? Does online play even matter?

I pretty much agree with this. I am playing Metal Arms PS2 right and I gotta say, this is the worst port ever! It's even worse than Grandia II PS2. Ports usually turn out bad when the devs outsource them to smaller, untalented devs.

Ubisoft and Namco are good at ports. Beyond Good and Evil and Soul Calibur 2 were good ports IMO. But Ridge Racer 6 will most likely be PS3 exclusive.

What I want to see with RR6:

Car Damage similar to Burnout 3 with RR gameplay
Lots of tracks and pretty much everything SSx said.
Lots of cars on screen

Rave Racer tracks. Ok so they were on the PSP but it would be nice to see them on a big screen and preferbly have the city track set in the day time instead of night as it looked no where near as good at night time. Also include Rave racer audio tracks it has some of the best music from the series.

I agree with you on the handling ourumov, they made it way to simple in the PSP version and could do with making it a bit more challenging.

dark10x

Beyond Good and Evil and Soul Calibur 2 were good ports IMO

See, I don't really agree with BG&E. There was not a single version of BG&E free of slowdown. They all teased us with bits of 60 fps, but ALL of them dropped at times (the PS2 version was especially severe). I FULLY believe that, had it been released on just one platform, the framerate could have been a rock solid 60 fps. The game we received was damaged by its multiformat release.

Heck, the PC version was even more half-assed. It also had performance issues, even on high-end PCs, while also failing to offer any sort of gamepad support (forcing you to find something like Joy2Key). It wasn't tailored to any specific platform and the end result suffered...

dark10x said:
See, I don't really agree with BG&E. There was not a single version of BG&E free of slowdown. They all teased us with bits of 60 fps, but ALL of them dropped at times (the PS2 version was especially severe). I FULLY believe that, had it been released on just one platform, the framerate could have been a rock solid 60 fps. The game we received was damaged by its multiformat release.

Heck, the PC version was even more half-assed. It also had performance issues, even on high-end PCs, while also failing to offer any sort of gamepad support (forcing you to find something like Joy2Key). It wasn't tailored to any specific platform and the end result suffered...

hmm interesting. I played the PS2 version and thought it was awesome, the slowdown didn't bother me.

dark10x

Doom_Bringer said:
hmm interesting. I played the PS2 version and thought it was awesome, the slowdown didn't bother me.

The framerate was AWFUL on PS2, though. It was still possible to enjoy the game, of course, but the framerate spent a lot of time below 20 fps...I can say that much. It was very choppy.

It SHOULD have been 60 fps...

Trustus Jones said:
Rave Racer tracks. Ok so they were on the PSP but it would be nice to see them on a big screen and preferbly have the city track set in the day time instead of night as it looked no where near as good at night time. Also include Rave racer audio tracks it has some of the best music from the series.

I agree with you on the handling ourumov, they made it way to simple in the PSP version and could do with making it a bit more challenging.

One old emulator runs Rave Racer so you can see how the original tracks look like on a bigger screen.

But personally, I think they're too easy. Rave Racer has always had that weird powersliding system, it's like the game helps you take corners with an invisible wire, a bit like in the original Batman movie in one chase scene. :)

dark10x said:
The framerate was AWFUL on PS2, though. It was still possible to enjoy the game, of course, but the framerate spent a lot of time below 20 fps...I can say that much. It was very choppy.

It SHOULD have been 60 fps...

yes I agree with your point. Multiplatform games suck.

Shompola

Banned
dark10x said:

The game was running at an unsteady 60 frame rate? Man the game felt like sub 20fps.. so horrid and I played the so called better version of the game, i.e. the xbox version.

edit/ were they aiming for 60fps but it dropped way below that? Anyway the framerate was horrid in that game and I am personally a person who almost never gets distracted by framerates.

dark10x

Shompola said:
The game was running at an unsteady 60 frame rate? Man the game felt like sub 20fps.. so horrid and I played the so called better version of the game, i.e. the xbox version.

The max framerate was 60 fps...and there were areas where it hit that. However, it spent more time at sub-20 fps than it did at 60 fps. This applies to all versions of the game. The PS2 version, however, has the worst framerate.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:

Well, Soul Calibur 2 just proves Namco has what it takes to do multiplatform games right. :p

Even so, next gen machines will be so capable overall I don't see multiplatform games suffering for the same reasons. In fact, multiplatform development will likely be encouraged thanks to the high costs of new game R&D and diminishing returns stemming the need for console specific architecture R&D. Launch games rarely push platforms much anyway, I don't see RR6 benefitting much from being "tailored" to one machine really.

dark10x said:
Cute. "I'm going to buy everything but you only own a handheld" certainly puts me in my place.

The End

I played the GC version of BG&E and thought it was excellent.

That said, I blame the multi-platform approach for the slowdown in the ps2 version of SC2. After playing Tekken 5, i expect SC3 to be flawless.

duckroll

I hate multiplatform games. I believe that games being on one platform gives both that platform and the game itself some sort of unique identity. It also allows developers to focus more effort on a polished engine which takes specific advantage of that platform. If I wanted "multi-platform" type games, I have my PC for that. :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
don't have cars that go too fast. You just end up with the screwy slides of Racers.

I like the idea of next gen physics married to arcade gameplay. I have no idea how it would work, but it sounds good.

Rage racer track designer please - it was the most '3d' track design ever, and I loved the way you had to consider your momentum going into steep hills.

And a proper living city please. No cars (obviously), but stuff going on. Cranes moving in the construction zone, boats in the harbour, people behind the barriers.

dark10x

Cute. "I'm going to buy everything but you only own a handheld" certainly puts me in my place.

I asked only questions of you.

My comments and questions don't seem particularly out of place, though. There is truth there, yes?

xexex

Banned
ourumov said:
This E3 was a bit dissapointing in the sense that I expected some RR6 footage and nothing appeared. It's quite understandable considering Ridge Racers has just been released in JP and US an has yet to be released in Europe but well...

I think that at this stage it's pretty clear that the Ridge Racer family is split between those that look for cool style (RRT4 and Rage Racer fans) versus those that just want great gameplay (RR5 and Rave Racer lovers).
Of course Ridge Racers came as the solution to this dilema offering for the first time all the great things from all the Ridge Racers. It has the great gameplay from V and Rave while it keeps the style in track design only RRT4 and Rage have.

That said, RR6 has a tough job to surpass the almighty Ridge Racers. Well, in my opinion RR5 is still the king but Ridge Racers would be the winner if we considered the averaged opinion we all fans have.

1. Regenerate the Arcade Racers genre. It's pretty clear that the genre needs a formula to be on top again. Most successful racing games are just mere wannabe-sims copying the GT formula and the arcade genre is slowly dying. Something needs to be done !
I think the main problem is the durability of the genre. Some strategies to make games longer include doing tons of stupid championships that have the same tracks...or just beat X trophies to gain the Y car...I think it's pretty stupid. They should think in other things !

2. Focuss in it's own style. Burnout 3 separates tracks in different zones from the world, those being pretty easy to identify...This is a good strategy but it's booooring.
I think it's much better to have your own style ! (think in Rave City Downtown or the Amusement Park from Daytona 2). Ridge Racer series are placed in a nearby future in some obscure city from Asia...they should stay there.

3. Following the previous point, I think another thing they should improve is the surroundings. RRV was astounding in the sense that it seemed alive. That's what I loved from RRV's city ! Sure we are talking about a racing game, but this little details is what makes the difference ! The same could be said about Super GT or Daytona USA 2 tracks, which have tons of elements on the backgrounds that helped them being legends !!!

4. Evolving gameplay. In my opinion RR series should bring gameplay to a next step. Sure the drifting system is cool as hell and I think they should keep it as it is. But I think they should make more elements enter into action. For instance, in Daytona USA/2 the manual drive is pretty important in order to take turns. Perhaps RR should give more importance to this. I won't enter in the nitros matter since even though I enjoyed them in RRacers some purists want them out of the game.

5. Music. Considering this an important subject of discussion, I think they should try to fit the most possible styles there. Either if you love the Acid Jazz from RRT4, to Mijk Van Dik's RRV soundtrack or Ayako Saso/Shinji Hosoe/Khota/Sanodg music, you should be able to find the tracks you like there.

6. Graphics. Even though we don't know if this game is planned in any form...If it will be for X360 or PS3 (or Rev...) I think we should expect a lot from Namco. Their first gen titles always are the ones with best graphics and I doubt this is different in RR6.

rr5-ss03.jpg

totally agree with this post :D

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
I asked only questions of you.

My comments and questions don't seem particularly out of place, though. There is truth there, yes?
What truth are you trying to get to though? Just because consoles this gen are painfully less interesting than last (to me), deep down I don't really care about Ridge Racer or online play? Am I correct about the conclusions you're leaping too?

dark10x

jarrod said:
What truth are you trying to get to though? Just because consoles this gen are painfully less interesting than last (to me), deep down I don't really care about Ridge Racer or online play? Am I correct about the conclusions you're leaping too?

You plan on buying next-gen consoles then?

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
You plan on buying next-gen consoles then?
Right now, at least one yes. In fact, I think I'm going to forefit PSP in favor of a 360.

I need to see more about PS3 first before I decide completely (hopefully TGS is loaded) but right now it's looking like DS and 360 for next gen. Maybe Revolution too, provided it's not as forgettable as GameCube was. The promised retro gaming is making it hard for me to pass up though.

ourumov said:
Even though we don't know if this game is planned in any form...
nope. i know of it being in development for PS3 since as far back as july. it's possible that it's been in development even longer, but i didn't find out for a fact until july. don't know if it's in development for Revolution or not, but it's definitely not in development for 360 from what i k now.

being that Ridge Racer actually ranks in my top 5 series of all time, i have high expectations from namco and their racing games.

i want PS3 Ridge Racer to be the return of R4. atleast as far as aesthetics go.

Johnny Nighttrain said:
nope. i know of it being in development exclusively for PS3 since as far back as july. it's possible that it's been in development even longer, but i didn't find out for a fact until july.

wow July 2004! Why wasn't the game shown at E3 Sony PC?

Elios83

The End said:
Because it's going to be playable at TGS and they want to have a couple "wows" in reserve.

I think that too.
Sony will probably use TGS to show PS3 in Japan for the first time and I expect it to be big,with many announcements from japanese developers.

ourumov

Johnny Nighttrain said:
nope. i know of it being in development for PS3 since as far back as july. it's possible that it's been in development even longer, but i didn't find out for a fact until july. don't know if it's in development for Revolution or not, but it's definitely not in development for 360 from what i k now.

being that Ridge Racer actually ranks in my top 5 series of all time, i have high expectations from namco and their racing games.

i want PS3 Ridge Racer to be the return of R4. atleast as far as aesthetics go.
[Isamu's voice] HOLLY CRAP !!![/Isamu's voice]

Elios83 said:
I think that too.
Sony will probably use TGS to show PS3 in Japan for the first time and I expect it to be big,with many announcements from japanese developers.

Sony will have some PS3 stuff at TGS but they won't show everything because the system launches in Spring 06 and showing everything at TGS would be too early IMO.

They will probably hold a special PS3 event (near PS3 launch) where they will have playable demos etc. They did something similar with PS2.

Elios83

Doom_Bringer said:
Sony will have some PS3 stuff at TGS but they won't show everything because the system launches in Spring 06 and showing everything at TGS would be too early IMO.

They will probably hold a special PS3 event where they will have playable demos etc. They did something similar with PS2.

It depends of course on what you mean by showing everything,I think more announcements of new PS3 games from japanese developers are to be expected without any doubt ( Koei for example has 2 PS3 launch titles to announce and Ridge Racer 6 seems a given).
As for the the special event Sony traditionally holds the Playstation Meeting in July.
They unveiled PSP specs there two years ago.

Doom_Bringer said:

They will probably hold a special PS3 event where they will have playable demos etc. They did something similar with PS2.

yeah I think they had a special Playstation festival in Feb 2000 before the PS2 launch.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Reiko Nagase and Ai Fukami making out on the hood of a yellow Solvalu.

Shit, did I type that out loud?

Xenon

Ridge Racer 6: What would you like to see ?

Not so much what I want to see as it is what I don't want to see. That same freaking track they have used since the first game.

Better AI and car damage wouldn't hurt either.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
ourumov said:

rr5-ss03.jpg

ourumov.....this is by far without a doubt the best, most entertaining post you've created in GAF(at least to me). I didn't know you were such an RR whore, and wanted a new one so badly, as to make a new topic about it. You are to be commended, amigo :)

As far what I want in the next one, all I ask is that they add force feedback and online support, with, as you've stated, life-like scenery. Now...if you want me to start wishful thinking, then I'll go ahead and say please add a track editor! Can you imagine racing through one big linked track, consisting of three or four tracks from Rage, R4 and RRV? All with updated graphics. DROOOOL!!!!

I honestly can't decide which I want more, OutRun 2SP for either Xbox or 360, or a new Ridge Racer for PS3 with said additions.

Maybe my opinion is a bit off the common track here, but all I want is:

Rage Racer 2.

Okay, as long as I'm asking some more Boom Boom Satellites tracks would be nice.

ourumov

Yesterday I was examining the opening from RT4 and it would be nice to have some kind of city like the one shown at the end (when Reiko is on the car with the nice guy that has stopped to get her). Don't think it's that impossible for next gen...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
ourumov what's the status on your ideas? Have you submitted them to Namco yet? What did they say?

Barnimal

Banned
fully expand ridge city and i mean FULLY and open it all the way up. We've seen ridge city grow from 1 track with a spur to a full on metropolis with beach and countrysides but bring it all togther for once. all of it. i dont care if it takes a year to model it. on top of that add a free roam mode. actually something i've always wanted was the ability to get out of the car and just explore the cit on foot if i wanted to. that would own.

Barnimal said:
fully expand ridge city and i mean FULLY and open it all the way up. We've seen ridge city grow from 1 track with a spur to a full on metropolis with beach and countrysides but bring it all togther for once. all of it. i dont care if it takes a year to model it. on top of that add a free roam mode. actually something i've always wanted was the ability to get out of the car and just explore the cit on foot if i wanted to. that would own.

Are you talking about turning it into NFSU2/Midnight Club style?

Oneself

I'd like RR6 to control like Ridge Racer on PSP, and keep the nitro as well. Diversity in the environments would not hurt either (kinda like the PSP version again). I'd like to see damage that doesn't affect your car's performances too... you know, just for the fun of wrecking it.

Top Bottom