• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer 7 for PS3 ....

MightyHedgehog said:
That's what happens when you launch against the platform's premier racing franchise. RR7 going at launch against GT5 would suffer the same fate. However, I think Ridge Racer's time has come and gone as a big franchise anyway.

It's never been a "big" franchise, like a GT or Mario Kart. But its always put up decent numbers, especially in Japan (RRV sold 600k in Japan and Ridge Racers sold 300k+ there).

As far as people mentioning marketing, NAMCO never markets RR's outside of a possible few magazine ads. That's about it.

Doom_Bringer said:
I hope they don't use PS2 assets like they are did in the last two trailers...

Oh come on.

SolidSnakex said:
Oh come on.

WTF is the point of those trailers seriously?! Make the game and engine from scratch and then show something! The whole vision thing bugs the crap outta me...

It gives me the impressions that the AI or physics or some other assets will be from the PS2 version while the car models and tracks will be next gen.

GT4.5?

SolidSnakex said:
It's never been a "big" franchise, like a GT or Mario Kart. But its always put up decent numbers, especially in Japan (RRV sold 600k in Japan and Ridge Racers sold 300k+ there).

As far as people mentioning marketing, NAMCO never markets RR's outside of a possible few magazine ads. That's about it.

I said big franchise, not GT/MK big...just big. And, as a franchise, it's declined in popularity, no doubt about it. Being the only real racer on both of those platforms at launch helped to make a decent seller. With X360's launch, they went against a bigger franchise and the one that is considered to be the big racing franchise on the system. And both of those titles probably had bigger marketing budgets than RR6 development budget.

And just because Namco established a history of not promoting it heavily doesn't mean that they should have continued in that way. If you want it to sell, you have to look at where you're throwing it and when. They didn't look both ways and got run over.

MightyHedgehog said:
Exactly. Too much competition for the same gamers at once and the pricing advantage of 1st party versus 3rd party software helped to bury RR6's chances at anything decent for sales. EA marketed the crap out of NFS: MW and MS did the same with PGR3 on television. Namco just didn't look at the release timing right...not that it would have changed a whole lot. Had Namco released in a dry racing market, like they had with the PSP, there would've been a chance to sell to those that hungered for a racing title.

I call bullcrap. It's the WORST SELLING 360 title by a healthy margin. If it was a great game or fit the Xbox market it would have sold.

I can never believe when I hear the excuses of marketing, competition, pricing, whatever. Just excuses.

There were ~20 freaking titles. Quake did better against COD2 & PDZ

FIFA did better against Madden, Tiger Woods, NBA Live, NBA 2k.

sonycowboy said:
I call bullcrap. It's the WORST SELLING 360 title by a healthy margin. If it was a great game or fit the Xbox market it would have sold.

I can never believe when I hear the excuses of marketing, competition, pricing, whatever. Just excuses.

There were ~20 freaking titles. Quake did better against COD2 & PDZ

FIFA did better against Madden, Tiger Woods, NBA Live, NBA 2k.

Buh? Not excuses, just major conditions affecting sales success.

Doom_Bringer said:
WTF is the point of those trailers seriously?! Make the game and engine from scratch and then show something! The whole vision thing bugs the crap outta me...

It gives me the impressions that the AI or physics or some other assets will be from the PS2 version while the car models and tracks will be next gen.

GT4.5?

Here let Kaz explain what the point of those Vision videos are

This video "Vision Gran Turismo" is a concept movie as a progress report for the GT series making headway to PS3. The Lanser Evolution and the RX-7 in Tokyo International Forum in the first scene are full-spec high-detailed models created for PS3.

As he said its a progress report. Vision GT E3 = GT4 with lots of cars on track, Vision GT TGS = first real GT5 car models. They're just showing you their progress with the game with them.

Series producer Kazunori Yamauchi, addressing the press today, shared a few comments on what we can expect from the next main entry in the series. "So far in the Gran Turismo series," explained Yamauchi, "we haven't had cars crash or overturn. We believed expressing this properly to be more difficult than actually making [the cars] race. In addition to properly replicating the underside of the car, when a collision occurs we'd have to have proper shape changes based on proper physical calculations. In Gran Turismo 5, we'd like to definitely add this element. We believe it will be a big theme."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/607/607158p1.html

Kind of shoots down the idea of using current gen physics doesn't it?

SolidSnakex said:
Here let Kaz explain what the point of those Vision videos are

As he said its a progress report. Vision GT E3 = GT4 with lots of cars on track, Vision GT TGS = first real GT5 car models. They're just showing you their progress with the game with them.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/607/607158p1.html

Kind of shoots down the idea of using current gen physics doesn't it?

cool! I hope the part about crashing cars is true!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
If it was a great game or fit the Xbox market it would have sold.

errm.... sommetimes great games just don't sell.

RR6 is a very good game btw, certainly worth owning put it that way. The fact it didn't sell is a travesty but is in absolute no way a mark of it's quality.

why didn't it sell? dunno - pending arrival of Gotham perhaps? Crap marketting ? Drop off in interest from the hardcore who had just played the ass out of the PSP Ridge game (although didn't this also bombolla in the US??)

"Kind of shoots down the idea of using current gen physics doesn't it?"
here's hoping- i'd like to be able to leave the tracks a bit more especially in the rally sections - if you are racing around a canyon and you don't have the fear of dropping off the side, isn't that a little pointless? Anyways... i'm sure they'll fix all this in GT5.

DCharlie said:
errm.... sommetimes great games just don't sell.

Truth. Although, I'd say that it's a little more often than just sometimes... Then again, what's great or not is highly subjective. After all, we've got Enter the Matrix selling more than hundreds of other games that could be objectively considered better in all aspects...they just didn't have the marketing.

MightyHedgehog said:
I said big franchise, not GT/MK big...just big. And, as a franchise, it's declined in popularity, no doubt about it

It still sells in like like it always has. In Japan it does about 500k on cosnoles in the US it does between 200-300 (the original being the highest at 500k). The series has a niche and NAMCO is going to back to it with RR7 (on a worldwide scale).

DCharlie said:
PSP Ridge game (although didn't this also bombolla in the US??)

No, its either the 2nd or 3rd best selling RR in the US (as of December it was only a small amount behind RRT4 so it should've outsold that by now).

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
No, its either the 2nd or 3rd best selling RR in the US (as of December it was only a small amount behind RRT4 so it should've outsold that by now).

what are the hard figures for the game please?

DCharlie said:
what are the hard figures for the game please?

I'm not sure after December, but as of then it'd sold 256,334. For the record, it also went up against 2 popular racing games, a Need for Speed and Wipeout. All 3 sold well. :)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
OMFG I JUST CAME ON MY OWN NECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amir0x said:
:lol

awesome. needs a little namedropping at the end though. Like "I KNOW DRAGONA, KLEE, AMIROX AND JONNYRAM BACK ME UP ON THIS."

Also some creepy cross posting from other forums.

BINGO! AmiRox gets it right!

Seriously though I'm surprised. Anyone who thought the PS3 was gonna be "Ridge-less" in November didn't have a clue. But still, this is just too much in one year. First OutRun 2 C2C and now RR7 in November.

GOOD FUCKING GRIEF!! MY ULTIMATE SETUP CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!1

SHO-NUFF REJOICE WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

isamu said:
OMFG I JUST CAME ON MY OWN NECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BINGO! AmiRox gets it right!

Seriously though I'm surprised. Anyone who thought the PS3 was gonna be "Ridge-less" in November didn't have a clue. But still, this is just too much in one year. First OutRun 2 C2C and now RR7 in November.

GOOD FUCKING GRIEF!! MY ULTIMATE SETUP CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!1

SHO-NUFF REJOICE WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG! ITSSS IZZZZAAMMMUUUU!

jarrod

Banned
drohne said:
have you played ridge racers or rr6? aren't you strictly gba? i don't know how much the current ridge team has in common with past ridge teams, but they clearly know what they're doing, and i don't see that the "moto gp" epithet is relevant when they've made at least two excellent ridge games.
Played RR PSP awhile back when I was "test driving" a freind's unit. I'll get RR6 when I get a 360 later this year.

The "old" RR team is currently spread to the four corners (Namco, SEGA, Cavia, Genki), the "new" RR team is basically what's left combined with the Moto GP team (their first game together was Racing Evolution). I liked RRs but I definitely feel it was lacking that sort of unique direction and super polished design each RR previously had... I felt this was probably due to it being a "best of" sort of thing/compilation, but it seems RR6 got similar complaints. I'm not holding out hope for RR7 to suddenly break the trend, I'm sure it'll be a fantastic racer, amazing looking, loaded with stuff, yet still missing that "classic Ridge Racer" feel to an extent... and I think a lot of that is probably attributable to the change in developer. I've given up hope on ever getting something as progressive and finely tuned as RR, Rave, Rage or RR5 again.

Defensor said:
Please tell me you would rather play Ridge Racers PSP over Ridge Racer DS jarrod... right? :-(
Fuck... I'd rather play Gripshift even than RRDS. ;)

Death to NST!! Never forget!

crystalis.jpg

sonycowboy said:
Looks at sales above.
Looks at sales of SC3 sales of almost 500k
Looks at 360 sales in Japan...
How about looking at SC2 sales? Hasn't the Xbox release of SC2 alone even outsold SC3?

rastex

Banned
The Experiment said:
Oh well, its the gamers' loss. Ridge Racer 6 was a fun game.

IS a fun game. The no-collision no-nitrous achievements are going to keep me busy for the next few years. Favourite racing game of all time, easy.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
As another concept for the PS3, Teramoto mentioned the system's network connectivity, hinting that Sony has indeed gotten its online act in gear for the PS3.

Can Ridge Racer 7 look better than last year's 360 game? (Pictured)
The three developers didn't get too specific about what we can expect from RR7. Teramoto stated that thanks to the PS3's power, that even with the improved graphics the system still has juice to spare (which will be used for effects to help deliver a better feeling of speed). Teramoto let slip that the game will use Nitrous, a system that was recently featured in the PSP and Xbox 360 games. Okubo addressed the game's sound component briefly by revealing that the game will support 5.1 audio.

Moreover, online seems to be on track to exceed that of Ridge Racer 6. Namco is aiming to support up to 14 players at once. This is the same number as RR6, but Kobayashi believes that adding more users is unnecessary. The team is also planning on new online options that take the game beyond mere competitive play, with Teramoto revealing that something akin to co-op will make it into the game.

Kobayashi added that players will also be able to customize their cars and show them off online. The game will have a massive set of options, with what appears to be at least 200,000 car possibilities. In addition, the racer will possess a strong Offline component as well. The main mode of play will offer more than 160 races and Namco is working on time attack and single race modes too.

HOLY FLYING JESUS NINJA BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEST. GAME........EVERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though....it's not only the graphics and extra features that have me excited, but have you guys forgotten what RR7 will have that RR6 doesn't??

DRIVING FORCE PRO SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's right! Being that this going on a Playstation console, RR7 is(unless Namco really intends to piss off their fans) going to be a game that should support the DFP. I see no reason why they wouldn't, given that we can expect the wheel it be backwards compatible with the PS3.

Do you guys have ANY idea how awesome it;s going to be to play an RR game with a TRUE FF steering wheel? That alone is going to make this GAME OF THE FUCKING CENTURY!!!!!!

I NEED TO GO INTO A TIME MACHINE AND GET TO NOVEMBER N0W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amir0x said:
He requested it. He didn't do anything wrong.

WTF??????????

Top Bottom