• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer 7 for PS3 ....

Speevy

Banned
Dante said:
Code:
If they're really taking advantage of the PS3, it's not evident in those screens.

Uh, did you look at the scan tsp posted? those enviornments look amazing, if they're realtime.

Uh yeah, they look like the same shiny buildings we've been seeing in numerous games, even outside the racing genre.

(ignore the ugly dinosaur thing)

ridge-racer-6-20051111104252234.jpg

Let alone Project Gotham Racing 3. I'm not saying this game won't blow Ridge Racer 6 away or won't be a great game, but if you're asking me to buy these scans as the reason, not gonna happen.

neptunes

Famitsu scored an interview with the main talent behind RR7. Masaya Kobayashi is serving as director, with Hideo Teramoto taking on the role of assistant producer. Serving as sound director is Hiroshi Okubo. These three also worked on the PSP and Xbox 360 RR games.

Kobayasha, while not directly confirming a release at the PS3's launch in November, stated that the development staff's goal is to, as quickly as possible, convey to players the concept behind the PS3 hardware. Teramoto personally believes this concept to be "machine power," exemplified by the PS3's ability to deliver movie-quality visuals and sound.

As another concept for the PS3, Teramoto mentioned the system's network connectivity, hinting that Sony has indeed gotten its Online act in gear for the PS3.

The three developers didn't get too specific about what we can expect from RR7. Teramoto stated that thanks to the PS3's power, even with improved graphics, the system has juice to spare, which will be used for effects to help deliver a better feeling of speed and arcade-thrills. Teramoto let slip that the game will use Nitros, a system that was recently featured in the PSP and Xbox 360 games. Okubo addressed the game's sound component briefly by revealing that the game will support 5.1 sound.

Online support seems like it will exceed that of Ridge Racer 6. Namco is aiming for support up to 14 players Online at once. This is the same number as that of RR6, but Kobayashi believes that adding more players would be unnecessary. The team is planning on new Online play options that take the game beyond mere competitive play, with Teramoto revealing that something akin to cooperative play will make it into the game.

Players will be able to customize their cars and show them off Online, Kobayashi added. The game will have a massive set of options, with what appears to be at least 200,000 car possibilities.

Ridge Racer 7 will have a strong Offline component as well, of course. The main mode of play will offer more than 160 races. In addition, Namco is working time attack and single race modes into the title.

And, the biggest news of all! Reiko Nagase is back as spokesgirl! Famitsu hints that the world's easiest race queen will have a slightly older look this time around.

Finishing off Famitsu's early glimpse at Ridge Racer 7, Kobayashi promised a title that would make PS3 owners glad that they purcahsed the system.

Ridge Racer 7 will make an appearance at E3 in a couple of weeks. While it's unclear if the title will be playable, we can at the very least expect a first look via a trailer clip called Ridge Racer Vision 2010.
about the article

Liquid

Banned
looking at soul calibur 3s sales i doubt namco would keep any next gen titles exclusive if it could be helped. if r6 was really started as a ps3 game it looks like it was more of a concept that just happend to fit 360s schedule for release. i'd bet on multiplatform goodness unless it really just cant be done on the 360. r6 was a disappointment. if r7 looks as good as those shots and is ps3 exclusive i'm sold.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Dante said:
Code:
If they're really taking advantage of the PS3, it's not evident in those screens.

Uh, did you look at the scan tsp posted? those enviornments look amazing, if they're realtime.

You are kidding right. How are the environments "amazing". I was expecting a lot more that's for sure.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Speevy said:
Uh yeah, they look like the same shiny buildings we've been seeing in numerous games, even outside the racing genre
Well, they don't, and the screen you posted, and the poster below you posted just prove that. To me they look like those architectural pre-renders that use radiosity lighting. If they can put lighting like that in a game, more power to them, but I'm a bit sceptical. Then again, print scans always give a bit of that photographic look so it may not look that realistic when seen in actual direct buffer.

Speevy

Banned
Marconelly said:
Well, they don't, and the screen you posted, and the poster below you posted just prove that. To me they look like those architectural pre-renders that use radiosity lighting. If they can put lighting like that in a game, more power to them, but I'm a bit sceptical. Then again, print scans always give a bit of that photographic look so it may not look that realistic when seen in actual direct buffer.

Okay, well it lacks the visual impact to sell me on the game.

KingJ2002

yes... i feel like i really wasted my money on rr6 now. i should have known better than to buy a rr game on a console other than the playstation.

Kolgar

You guys are kidding me, right? You aren't impressed by those images if they're realtime?

Personally, I wrote them off as CG, thinking, "no effing way."

Or maybe the damage control has already begun.

Speevy

Banned
Kolgar said:
You guys are kidding me, right? You aren't impressed by those images if they're realtime?

It's not damage control. There's just nothing we haven't seen before. Maybe they're technically impressive, but visually boring. Take the underside of the bridge for example. How much detail can you see in the scans? What about the road texture? Anything you've seen before? The whole "hundreds of shiny building windows" thing. Seen it. It's like being shown another World War 2 game.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Kolgar said:

The 'beauty' shots of the buildings in PGR3 looked better and then your left with one brown fuzzy picture of the road that could have come from a PS2 game.

I've no doubt that PS3 version of RR is going to look the best but these shots don't do it.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Some of your PS3 expectations are way too high. Come back down to Earth. 7900GT people.

ELS-01X

Banned
Marconelly said:
It looks just like RR6. Like you said, it's the scan what gives the impression of looking better.

Speevy

Banned
Don't give me that "first gen" stuff. Lair looks better than anything that launched with the Xbox 360. People have high expectations for the PS3 because you guys have been beating us over the head with the PS3's tech stuff for over a year.

I don't know how Ridge Racer 7 will turn out, but these scans aren't anywhere close to impressing me. It's the scans, not the game hopefully.

RaijinFY

ELS-01X said:
It looks just like RR6. Like you said, it's the scan what gives the impression of looking better.

Actually none of those pics seem to be taken from the game. So why people are arguing here? It could look worse than the 360's version even though it seems the Namco guys are putting some efforts on it. Going to wait for E3 and see that trailer.

Elios83

Just relax.
Absolutely nothing can be said from these scans simply because they don't show anything at all,it's just a couple of isolated buildings and three black pictures which could come from a CG intro.At the moment we only know that Namco wants to make something good out of it and really use PS3 power.
At E3 we'll see if they can deliver.

jarrod

Banned
RR6.5!! :p

Honestly people, I dunno why we're expecting a RR5 type miracle from the Moto GP team? I think they've basically hit their plateau.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
have you played ridge racers or rr6? aren't you strictly gba? i don't know how much the current ridge team has in common with past ridge teams, but they clearly know what they're doing, and i don't see that the "moto gp" epithet is relevant when they've made at least two excellent ridge games.

RaijinFY

drohne said:
have you played ridge racers or rr6? aren't you strictly DS? i don't know how much the current ridge team has in common with past ridge teams, but they clearly know what they're doing, and i don't see that the "moto gp" epithet is relevant when they've made at least two excellent ridge games.

Fixed! :p

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
unless i'm mistaken, jarrod doesn't have a ds. which would mean he's got more sense than i have. :/

Wow, RR6 looks so much better in motion than in those shots. I'm sure RR7 will too. In the HD Era, screenshots are becoming increasingly meaningless.

sky

Wow, surprised to see news on this so soon. Can't wait :D.
RR6 is not mind blowing by any means, but it's still a great game... precise handling, tons of content. It's missing some of the cool "vibe" from RR4 and RRV, but nothing to get worried about. Hopefully it's back in full force with 7.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
jarrod said:
RR6.5!! :p

Honestly people, I dunno why we're expecting a RR5 type miracle from the Moto GP team? I think they've basically hit their plateau.
Please tell me you would rather play Ridge Racers PSP over Ridge Racer DS jarrod... right? :-(

Wollan said:
How bad did RR6 sell again? I heard a good while ago the number was under 100 000 but anyone have updated numbers?

RR6 was quite possibly the biggest bomb on the 360.

In 4 1/2 months it's sold: 34,424

liquid said:
looking at soul calibur 3s sales i doubt namco would keep any next gen titles exclusive if it could be helped. if r6 was really started as a ps3 game it looks like it was more of a concept that just happend to fit 360s schedule for release. i'd bet on multiplatform goodness unless it really just cant be done on the 360. r6 was a disappointment. if r7 looks as good as those shots and is ps3 exclusive i'm sold.

Looks at sales above.
Looks at sales of SC3 sales of almost 500k
Looks at 360 sales in Japan...

I don't think Namco would be all that hurt by bypassing the 360, certainly relative to the Playstation. Certainly, they can pick their choices, but the 360 RR was undoubtedly a losing venture, minus any exclusivity Microsoft paid for.

Liquid said:
i'd bet on multiplatform goodness unless it really just cant be done on the 360. r6 was a disappointment. if r7 looks as good as those shots and is ps3 exclusive i'm sold.

:lol

drohne said:
i don't know how much the current ridge team has in common with past ridge teams, but they clearly know what they're doing, and i don't see that the "moto gp" epithet is relevant when they've made at least two excellent ridge games.

I don't know about the rest of the team, but the 2 people they mention int hat article (Kobayashi and Teramoto) are the same people that worked on the recent games. Kobayashi's in his same position and Teramoto is in his. It's really all about the drift engine, its not like there's a miracle that needs to happen. Just don't make drifting as easy and problem solved.

Liquid

Banned
i dont understand whats so funny about that statement. i'm a ridge racer fan. r6 sucked. if r7 is ps3 exclusive it another reason to get a ps3. ????

Liquid said:
i dont understand whats so funny about that statement. i'm a ridge racer fan. r6 sucked. if r7 is ps3 exclusive it another reason to get a ps3. ????

I was just laughing at the idea that it was going multiplatform. There are going to still be exclusive games, its not like we're suddenly entering a time where they completely vanish.

Speevy

Banned
The thing that makes this series so fascinating (the 360 one included) to me is that it clearly offers a lot of content and fast-paced 60 FPS racing action, but appears really bland to anyone who's not already in the fan club.

sonycowboy said:
RR6 was quite possibly the biggest bomb on the 360.

In 4 1/2 months it's sold: 34,424
That's what happens when you launch against the platform's premier racing franchise. RR7 going at launch against GT5 would suffer the same fate. However, I think Ridge Racer's time has come and gone as a big franchise anyway. Unless you're doing crazy crashes and or something that is a major addition to arcade racing, like Burnout, you'll suffer as the genre has been killed off by sim-style racers, like GT, a long time ago.

Ridge Racer 6 just got eclipsed by Project Gotham Racing 3. Had it been released after it, it probably would have sold a lot better. Namco doesn't seem to care enough to promote it so I'm assuming they just wrote it off as a flop and now are working on Ridge Racer 7.

RaijinFY

MightyHedgehog said:
That's what happens when you launch against the platform's premier racing franchise. RR7 going at launch against GT5 would suffer the same fate.

Like GT5 is going to come in the same time as RR7... :eek:O:

RaijinFY said:

hell no brother!! GT5 is a Winter 2007 game if they are doing a proper next gen version! I hope they don't use PS2 assets like they did in the last two trailers...

RaijinFY said:
Of course, it won't. But that's the situation RR6 was put in when it launched against PGR3. Lack of decent marketing by Namco USA helped to seal that fate.

MightyHedgehog said:
Of course, it won't. But that's the situation RR6 was put in when it launched against PGR3. Lack of decent marketing by Namco USA helped to seal that fate.

Plus Need for Speed: Most Wanted, which also sold pretty well on 360 IIRC.

MightyHedgehog said:

Not to mention $50 for PGR3 vs $60 for RR6. I would have bought RR6 earlier if it was on sale somewhere or $50 or less.

Infact, out of the 7 or so games, no X360 game I have I bought for $60 (except for LE version of PD0... DOH!).

GitarooMan said:
Plus Need for Speed: Most Wanted, which also sold pretty well on 360 IIRC.

Shogmaster said:
Not to mention $50 for PGR3 vs $60 for RR6. I would have bought RR6 earlier if it was on sale somewhere or $50 or less.

Exactly. Too much competition for the same gamers at once and the pricing advantage of 1st party versus 3rd party software helped to bury RR6's chances at anything decent for sales. EA marketed the crap out of NFS: MW and MS did the same with PGR3 on television. Namco just didn't look at the release timing right...not that it would have changed a whole lot. Had Namco released in a dry racing market, like they had with the PSP, there would've been a chance to sell to those that hungered for a racing title.

Top Bottom