• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer 7 -- Official Thread

Better hope RR8 is coming out for Switch, because if it doesn't happen then one could safely say that Ridge Racer is done as a series.

Breakage

No racing game series blends a futuristic Japanese aesthetic with hardcore rave-esque music like Ridge Racer. There's nothing else out there quite like it. I love how each car has a unique stylised speedometer that lights up when you go thru a tunnel. I don't remember any other racer doing that at the time.

AmyS

Those screens make me feel giddy.

Here's a lot more, from Next Generation and EDGE, on the arcade and PS1 versions.

ozClIWO.jpg

jvF3O3a.jpg

gxa141K.jpg

lKlWcqf.jpg

HTupolev

Wow, so 10 years ago a console game was 1080p 60fps... what happened?
Have you played it recently? It's not really that impressive graphically. It looks good but it's mostly simple geometry.
Basically, yes. Resolution aside, RR7 isn't far removed from being an early-gen PS2 game with a texture upgrade.

Similarly, there are games on sixth-gen consoles that can happily do 720p60. This is THPS4 on oXbox, for instance:

HeyqNbm.jpg

This isn't to say RR7 isn't pretty, though.

jett

D-Member
RR7mistfalls.gif

RR7 has its moments.

It's just a mixed bag graphically. Some tracks look pretty ugly, but it's mostly down to aesthetics.

icecream

Public Health Threat
But we got a Ridge Racer like, 4 years ago...

That being said, wonder why Namco gave up the trend of using the series to break in each new console.

Namco Bandai is one of the companies that seems to get it and gives that nostalgia while continuously bringing us new stuff... But Ridge Racer 8 not appearing is a serious hindrance to my well being. Common Namco, we know you got the will to do it somewhere...

Heck I wish we got the PS rental treatment for this series, at least 7 and a port of 5.

Recently got a used but great condition fat ps3 and been getting its early games. Got resistance fall of man, genii, mgs4, devil may cry 4, resident evil 5, and ridge racer 7.

Loved it at launch 10 years ago and still do. Really wish namco would give us a new installment.

2012's unbounded doesn't count as that was made by a western studio and did not receive a Japanese release and was heavily influenced by burnout.

jetsetrez

I'm so happy you can still play this online and you got a game going with 10 other people isamu. This is one of my favorite games of all time, so good! Miss this series, wish for a new one (in this lineage). :(

And gameplay wise, and track selection wise, and UI wise, and music wise... :D

No no no...

Rage Racer had a proper progression mode where you earned currency to buy and upgrade your cars. The upgrades changed your car visually (before Gran Turismo came along) and you could even design a badly pixelated emblem to adorn your machine. The soundtrack is the best in the series and just like Wipeout 2097 you could put the disc in a cd player to listen to it.

The only negative to the game is the awful collision system.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I'm so happy you can still play this online and you got a game going with 10 other people isamu. This is one of my favorite games of all time, so good! Miss this series, wish for a new one (in this lineage). :(

Thank you sir! And if it's one of your favorite games of all time, then you don't have to miss it....JOIN US!!!!! I'll be home from work in like an hour and will going online and I guarantee you there will be few RR heads ready to whip my ass in a lobby. That tells you how much of a loyal following this game has.

The fact that I can now play the game with one of these...

3703653_orig.jpg

8869515_orig.jpg

.......is reason enough for me to jump in the game every day! The force feedback in Ridge Racer 7, especially for an arcade racing game that's TEN YEARS OLD..... is DAMN good!

Oh and Downtown Rave City and Crossbay Tunnel are two of the most beautiful tracks in any racing game EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, is it time for my yearly profession of love for RR7 already?

Still the best, though I see isamu is taking it to the next level...

amdb00mer

Barring a new entry or remaster, I wouldn't mind RR6 on X1 BC.

Are any of the cars or music licensed?

I keep hoping for this to happen. I picked it up on sale digitally last year for less than $5. I think it's always $9.99 now. Licensing should not be too much trouble as the game is still available digitally, so if any music was licensed they should still have the rights. The cars are all fantasy based. Can't remember if there were any special cars that were licensed.

I keep hoping for this to happen. I picked it up on sale digitally last year for less than $5. I think it's always $9.99 now. Licensing should not be too much trouble as the game is still available digitally, so if any music was licensed they should still have the rights. The cars are all fantasy based. Can't remember if there were any special cars that were licensed.

All of the cars are Ridgeworld except for Pac-man, which is Namco-Bandai anyway.

AmyS

I would rather have a Rage Racer remake than a remake of R4.

But I've got to admit, the R4 CG intro was killer and one of the top 2 or 3 CG intros on PS1.

With that said, here's an EDGE article on R4.

bx7vo7o.jpg

lu6rwYx.jpg

ViSqRxt.jpg

nYZiIKF.jpg

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I dug this game out of storage back in September (been unplayed since I bought it) purely cos I scored some 3D glasses. Man it's so smooth to play but I don't like the way Namco took the series after #4.

I would rather have a Rage Racer remake than a remake of R4.

But I've got to admit, the R4 CG intro was killer and one of the top 2 or 3 CG intros on PS1.

With that said, here's an EDGE article on R4.

bx7vo7o.jpg

I wish I could get an R4 Assoluto Bisonte in real life. It's like an MR2, Ferrari, and Subaru SVX had a beautiful love child.

Edit: And the NSX and Ford GT joined in... It's a great car.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I wish I could get an R4 Assoluto Bisonte in real life. It's like an MR2, Ferrari, and Subaru SVX had a beautiful love child.

Edit: And the NSX and Ford GT joined in... It's a great car.

To own a real life Assoluto Bisonte would be sublime

isamu

Better hope RR8 is coming out for Switch, because if it doesn't happen then one could safely say that Ridge Racer is done as a series.

Why would it coming out on the switch determine whether it's done or not?

Top Bottom