• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer 7 -- Official Thread

Chrono

Banned
Anybody here uses brakes when drifting?

Watching some replays of the top rankers, a lot usually do a short tap before drifting. I tried it and I think I'm getting more slide and a more controlled drift... just a bit. Am I imagining this? :lol

I think I have to get back to basics and get drifting right. I don't think I'm doing it correctly or something. When some times I try to do an ultimate charge early, like in a straight road, I do a small drift and led the car slide on an angle... and get no nitrous. Similar things happen with turns, some times a lot is charged and other times barely any. I get speed is a factor, and of course doing a good turn w/o hitting anything, but is there anything else? Maybe different tires/suspension would help.

Another cool RR7 youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEVGyi035Qk

I tried replicating how fast he fills up nitrous but it's pretty hard. I'm using the same car too, I think, Bisonte. I'm finally ditching flex though, I just want to win that race with it. Galaxian U is really growing on me - the rate you can recharge is awesome, I won Opus 1 with it. I'm currently stuck on Opus 3 and 5. After that I'm done, though my percentage is pretty low. I think I have to use other manufactures' that I haven't to unlock UFRA events from them or whatever, that'll be boring. *last bump*

noonche

If you're still having trouble with Crinale I think I have a replay of when I beat him with flex nitrous. I could send it to you if you think that it'd help. My PSN is 'Alske'

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Chrono said:

Watching some replays of the top rankers, a lot usually do a short tap before drifting. I tried it and I think I'm getting more slide and a more controlled drift... just a bit. Am I imagining this? :lol
I have a habit since the psp version of RR to tap the break when drifiting (so I do it in RR7 as well). I don't know if it's easier to do it that way, it's just a habit I guess.

Chrono said:

So, are you keeping the accelerator held down but tapping brakes just before initiating the drift, or what?

The youtube there is fairly impressive just because he seems to win in 3:12.something. Download UFRA SE 15 to see what I mean...aka the reason I like the Ultranova.

The trick is usually about how close to the exact second nitrous ends that you initiate the drift. It seems to me that you get less out of it if already drifting or drifting too late.

Chrono

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
So, are you keeping the accelerator held down but tapping brakes just before initiating the drift, or what?

Just a small tap before letting go of the accelerator and turning. That's what the drivers in the time attack replays do anyway. In the Tips section the game also mentions you can drift with the brake, instead of letting go of the accelerator. On the gamefaqs boards someone there said in order to master the game you need to know both drifting types, with and without brakes. I can't post there so I didn't ask him for more details.

alske said:
If you're still having trouble with Crinale I think I have a replay of when I beat him with flex nitrous. I could send it to you if you think that it'd help. My PSN is 'Alske'

I already beat Crinale but thanks. :p

Chrono

Banned
Ok I did say I won't bump the topic again but this is really aggravating... Is there a guide somewhere on how to unlock all UFRA single events? I finished the Grand Prix, Manufacturers Trials, and all Extreme Battles now (GALAXIAN U FTW! :D) and yet I'm not at 100%... My guess is that I still haven't used other machines/parts enough to unlock manufacture fest/events. I'm just picking parts from manufacturers I have low points with and doing one boring race after another... and nothing. This is like RPG leveling now. :lol

BTW how do I send replays? When clicking the attachment icon it seems to only look for photos...

Chrono said:
Ok I did say I won't bump the topic again but this is really aggravating... Is there a guide somewhere on how to unlock all UFRA single events? I finished the Grand Prix, Manufacturers Trials, and all Extreme Battles now (GALAXIAN U FTW! :D) and yet I'm not at 100%... My guess is that I still haven't used other machines/parts enough to unlock manufacture fest/events. I'm just picking parts from manufacturers I have low points with and doing one boring race after another... and nothing. This is like RPG leveling now. :lol

I'm working on it... Have you played SPECIAL EVENT yet or what? And what plugins do you have at this point?

also: There are FEST events in UFRA for each manufacturer, you need 50pts to get unlock them, I think? I'll have to check my documentation on that.

Chrono

Banned
Excellent, 50 points sounds good. And no I haven't downloaded or played the special events yet, I want to get 100% first. As for plugins, I have the SS booster, auto rocket start one, race data analyzer, and the down force control system.

Here's a plugin list and their requirements that would be helpful in this thread, I'm not sure if it's a complete list though.

No Plug-In Units (n/a)
SS Booster - 100 Points with Arkbird
SS Canceler - 100 Points all exterior parts manufacturers
Auto Rocket Start System - 100 Points with Zolgear
Over Limit Start System – 100 Points all engine tune up manufacturers
Race Data Analyzer - 100 Points with Galaxian
Nitrous Tank 100 Points with all nitrous manufacturers
Down Force Control System - 100 Points with Bosconian
Collision Decreaser – 100 Points with all tyre and suspension manufacturers
Prize x2 - 100 Points with all manufacturers

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=932650&topic=34488843

Chrono said:
Excellent, 50 points sounds good. And no I haven't downloaded or played the special events yet, I want to get 100% first. As for plugins, I have the SS booster, auto rocket start one, race data analyzer, and the down force control system.

Hmm. Well, you'd definitely want Nitrous 100, so might want to focus on finishing up with the nitrous manufacturers first.

The gamefaqs list isn't entirely accurate. RR7 uses a fairly variable unlocking system, so different paths are possible, ie: when 3 RSGP events are unlocked you only need to beat any two of them to move on. Likewise, SS Booster goes to your first 100pt non-machine hit (basically arkbird or digdug, really). I still need to test; not entirely sure if Prize x2 is 100pts/all or 100pts/namco

The 'faqs board is trashy as always. US Playstation forums have a much more lively bunch, including several of the top rank players. If you hear the term "crackracing", it's about the race for max credits (there's an unfortunate exploit in the game for maxing out on CR/FP...)

I'd grab the DLC when you can. SPECIAL EVENT doesn't have a very even difficulty, and you will probably swear off your PS3 entirely if you try to beat them in order.:lol

SCReuter

Did Namco already discontinue Ridge Racer 7 in North America?

I can't seem to find it anywhere, and Best Buy's computers say they're no longer receiving copies.

SCReuter said:
Did Namco already discontinue Ridge Racer 7 in North America?

I can't seem to find it anywhere, and Best Buy's computers say they're no longer receiving copies.
The PS3 is doomed mate, there are too many gamesleft on shelves already, stores don't need get new ones.

Is any of you guys still playing the game online? I can't wait to get my consoles hooked up to the interwebs, RR7 is one on my favourite games, so I'll be on it from 9 to 5 online (on weekends at least).

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
A gap of 2 years between posts and your update is to tell the thread you bought it on ebay? C'mon.

jett

D-Member
WISE FROM YOUR GWAVE

I'm considering buying this on the cheap. Big fan of RRV, I don't particularly like the noobified controls on 7's demo though.

Eiji

speedpop said:
A gap of 2 years between posts and your update is to tell the thread you bought it on ebay? C'mon.

6r0gg9.png

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
speedpop said:
It was worth it to remind me of Ynos Yrros. That guy was awesomely retarded.

yurinka

Wow, necrobump. RR7 was a good game, but a bit weak like RR6. I hated RRV.

Go and play the PSP Ridge Racer games. They are the best in the series, IMO.

I want Ridge Racer 8.

Still the best in the series, as far as I'm concerned (Ridge PSP was nice, but painfully limited by comparison.)

The shame is that Namco decided not to even bother patching the obvious ranking bug....now all we can do is hope for RR8.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fuck you Angelus, fuck you.

Anyone who's tried to 100% the game will understand.

robox

Seiken said:

eh? do you mean earning that car? or racing against it in some later events?
i haven't tried getting 100% clear yet. some events i don't care for. nor do i want to get 100 manufacturer points for all manufacturers. mild setup cars are so boring.. but i guess i can change that be equipping the proper suspension and tires...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
r - b - x said:
i haven't tried getting 100% clear yet. some events i don't care for. nor do i want to get 100 manufacturer points for all manufacturers. mild setup cars are so boring.. but i guess i can change that be equipping the proper suspension and tires...
Ho, ho, ho.

The car, Angelus, will fuck you. Again and again and again. Beating her will earn you the car, but you won't beat her. Because it is impossible.

robox

i got it. just barely. the key was to keep boosting. as much as you possibly can.
i had a harder time with crinale though. had to use the angelus to get it, if i remember. but seaside route 765 is an infinitely more fun track than harborline 765

Yoshichan

r - b - x said:
i got it. just barely. the key was to keep boosting. as much as you possibly can.
i had a harder time with crinale though. had to use the angelus to get it, if i remember. but seaside route 765 is an infinitely more fun track than harborline 765
God damn grats, Angelus made me quit the game forever.

robox

c'mon, you gotta doooooo iiiiiittt! then you can enter the event where the whole grid are the special cars.

Yoshichan

r - b - x said:
c'mon, you gotta doooooo iiiiiittt! then you can enter the event where the whole grid are the special cars.
Not a single chance I'm returning to RR7 :lol Haven't played it since the PS3 launch. I'll return to the world of Ri
iiiiii
dge Racer when 8 is released. YOU HEAR ME NAMCO?

Well, since it's bumped anyway...

I haven't really enjoyed a Ridge since the sublime R4. R4 felt solid and chunky, whereas the later games, 6 and 7, just began to feel like scalextric cars. The youtube vids above sum it up. Ridge isn't really a driving series. Racing yes, but not a driving game.

If anything it more resembles a car based F-Zero these days.

I'll stick to R4 :p

Android18a said:

I haven't really enjoyed a Ridge since the sublime R4. R4 felt solid and chunky, whereas the later games, 6 and 7, just began to feel like scalextric cars. The youtube vids above sum it up. Ridge isn't really a driving series. Racing yes, but not a driving game.

Sleek rocket-powered bobsledding along asphalt rollercoaster tracks. I love it.

r - b - x said:

Earning Angelus wasn't too bad. Beating the race against all-Angelus was a bit crazier. :lol

robox

Crazymoogle said:
Earning Angelus wasn't too bad. Beating the race against all-Angelus was a bit crazier. :lol
i don't remember that... was that a download event? never really bothered with the download events. near end game, i was thinking i should move onto something else on the backlog

Android18a said:

This is all true, but 7 is still a blast to play. Now this thread is making me want to start it up again.

NewBrof

Ridge isn't really a driving series

yes, the problem is some people might confuse it with a driving game because it has cars in it. But it has nothing in common with a driving game. It has cars, but they don't behave like cars...

But that is a good thing, because you get something out of RR which you don't get out of other driving games. Some strange addicting flow...

Surfheart said:
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I hope this series isn't dead.

Seriously awaiting to see what happens next. In the meantime I hope Rage and R4 get put up on PSN store soon. Will probably import Ridge Racers 2 at some point.

I would totally be up for a condensed, awesome new RR game for PSN. Just like what they did with Wipeout HD. My guess is that Namco totally wants it to be on disc so they can microrape people but RR just doesn't have a huge enough pull anymore to do so. That's the cynical way of looking at it anyways.

robut said:
Seriously awaiting to see what happens next. In the meantime I hope Rage and R4 get put up on PSN store soon. Will probably import Ridge Racers 2 at some point.
Ridge Racers 2 on the PSP i very good, it has all the tracks from Ridge Racer. Ridge Racer Revolution, Rave Racer, Rage Racer and Ridge Racer Type 4. Great package that sums up the Ridge Racer era on PS1 with upgraded graphics :D

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Surfheart said:
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I hope this series isn't dead.

Ridge Racer needs a major reinvention if it is to survive, IMHO.

Either go the PGR route of semi-realism, or put in some Burnout-style crashes. One of the two.

YYZ

Seiken said:

I've 100%'d the game. If it's that white car then I know what you're talking about. Pretty sure it was possessed by the devil so its name is a complete misnomer.

Realism will never work for Ridge; it has a fine universe to it and they already failed miserably with a realistic take on the franchise. Crashes would be kind of interesting, but the thing with ridge is that it's always about the drift model; without it, the game would have no selling point against any of the racers on the market.

(Conversely, the drift model is what kills online play because the game becomes bump-racing, which is where the physics break down big-time.)

RR7's reward system is what fundamentally fixed the biggest problem with RR PSP though (nitro without balance) so I feel like they were not too far off the mark in terms of next-gen racing.

r - b - x said:
i don't remember that... was that a download event? never really bothered with the download events. near end game, i was thinking i should move onto something else on the backlog

Yeah, there was a bunch of download races with medals, which were useful for giving you more ranking points. Brutally hard, though.

The problem is, once crackracing started there was no need for ranking points...I could never play an online match but still be ranked #1 in the world, if I did the exploit fast enough...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Crazymoogle said:
Realism will never work for Ridge; it has a fine universe to it and they already failed miserably with a realistic take on the franchise. Crashes would be kind of interesting, but the thing with ridge is that it's always about the drift model; without it, the game would have no selling point against any of the racers on the market.
I never said that realism was the way to go. I mean, something like PGR, which straddles the line between arcade and realism, is better.

And as for the crashes, well, I think I remember hearing that the RR guys took some inspiration from Burnout for the boost model, so if they're not going to go the PGR route, why not go the Burnout route and make those devil and angel cars crumple like a soda can?

robox

twinturbo2 said:

Either go the PGR route of semi-realism, or put in some Burnout-style crashes. One of the two.

fuck that. or retire the series and don't call it ridge racer then.

ridge racer has been about the drifting and it's used the same drifting model since the first. i'll understand that somebody will find that stale but i still like it. as much as i love the series, i'm sorta surprised the series has this much appeal and lasted this long on that model. (it has outlasted daytona and daytona was hugely popular)

as for evolving the series, i'm fine with the introduction of nitro. i find it complements the drifting since you normally charge it by drifting, which makes you want to drift more, which is the point of ridge racer.

i'd really like to see them go more bonkers with track design. rage racer is still awesome for having huge elevations changes. the new rave city tracks have a bit of that plus it has all the awesome neon flashy lights. ridge racer should take pride in not being entirely realistic.

i'm seriously not a fan of crashes. the appeal of crashes is too base. takes too much away from the racing aspect. i'd prefer to reward well executed drifts rather than causing mayhem for the lulz. drifting is about looking cool. a trashed car is not cool.

twinturbo2 said:

Ever play R: Racing Evolution? That was their 'serious' game and it wasn't a patch on the classic RR's.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
JustAnotherOtaku said:
Ever play R: Racing Evolution? That was their 'serious' game and it wasn't a patch on the classic RR's.
They didn't try hard enough. Or they were blissfully unaware of PGR.

Now that I think of it, with the moon gravity in the past few RR games, someone should send the RR devteam a pair of Rush 2049 cabs...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Fun game, bought it when I first got my PS3. Really pretty and shiny graphics, some good music on the soundtrack. I am definitely looking forward to a new Ridge Racer.

Top Bottom