• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer 7 -- Official Thread

jett said:
:lol Those guys sure don't give two shits about even pretending to be objective.

"While neither looks substantially better or worse than the other"

Yeah, those f***ing bastards, what kind of moneyhat are they wearing anyway?

pilonv1

Marconelly said:
What you missed, is a bigger, probably more detailed ship sitting on the left side of where you made a cut on those images..

Doesn't that ship move around in RR6? I need to check.

kevm3

beermonkey@tehbias said:
"While neither looks substantially better or worse than the other"

Yeah, those f***ing bastards, what kind of moneyhat are they wearing anyway?

"While neither looks substantially better or worse than the other, there are interesting differences, such as the removal of certain environmental features in the PlayStation 3 version and apparent better texture use on Xbox 360."

How about that statement? People that have actually played both games will usually say that the textures are better in RR7. They are giving off the impression that RR7 looks equal to RR6 except that it is missing things in the environment and has worse textures.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
DCharlie, Johnnyram, Bebpo, BlimBlim, etc....

I got this off Logitech's Japanese website via Google translate. According to them, R77 supports this new GT Force RX wheel available in Japan.

As for [rojikuru], GT FORCE® RX November 11th (the Saturday) verifies that with PS3 private racing game software “ridge racer of corporation [bandainamukogemusu] of sale schedule 7” it operates. By the fact that road surface circumstance and GT FORCE® of fourth feedback functional loading which expresses reaction force at the time of cornering to real RX are used, being 200km/h over, the hairpin corner you run and course of the refreshing drift racing “ridge racer 7 which” it comes out in the stage, the actual car to a considerable degree real you can taste the operation impression.

A Namco publisher confirmed to Milkman from 1Up that the game would have no FFB effects ( *LINK* )

I was brushing off the possibility of RR7 supporting this new Logitech FFB wheel, thinking the game wouldn't have it. But then why is it stated on Logitech's official Japanese site that RR7 supports this wheel if that's the case? Even playasia *Has the wheel listed as being compatible with RR7*

Can any of you who in Japan who owns the game, give it a try or ask around, maybe to one of your friends, whether or not this new GT Force RX wheel will work with RR7? I'm honestly surprised no one on this forum has tried plugging in any of Logitech's wheels to see if RR7 works with it. You may not get rumble from Sony's Six Axis pad, but what if you can get true force feedback with Logitech's wheel?

Isamu great idea, just plugged in my old Logitech Driving Force Pro and it works a treat!!!
I didn't play for very long (on my lap, no table set up) but it feels like it's got Force Feedback (heavy steering) plus RUMBLE!!!!

RUMBLE!!!
WOOHOOO!!!!!

I'm suspecting that if we use that USB to PS2 adapter we might be able to play RR7 with rumble on a pad.

Will experiment more later.

Ok so after more fiddling, I can confirm that there is no Force Feedback with RR7 using the DF Pro (only rumble). Wheel tension remains the same throughout, it doesn't get lighter and there's no kick back.

Edit: Plus I can't find a menu to set the DFP wheel settings. The game automatically detects the wheel, but there's no fiddling with settings. Your sixaxis defaults to controller 2.

RuGalz

Played a bit of the game yesterday after spending too much time messing with linux stuff... Wow the game sure picks up speed quick. At first I thought the game was getting difficult too quickly then I realized I wasn't upgrading my car... ^^; But after upgrading the car, it was like... Whoa I have to get used to the speed now. I was actually hoping Ultimate Charge would be removed from the game but I guess they left it in it... Oh well. Some of the new music tracks are great.

Axl

This might be some kind of RR sacrilege, but I’m actually finding the tilt control to be a total blast. For me at least it has made the familiar feel fresh and new. I didn’t play RR6, which probably helps, did play on the PSP though. Enjoying 7 more for sure.

Interesting though, I’ve tried the game on several 720p TVs, and on each one the image was noticeably less jaggy if set to 1080i, allowing the TV to do the conversion. Its not night and day, but is enough for me to go out of my way to set the system to 1080i before I play.

This game is amazing looking. My first time hands-on with a next gen RR. WOW @ the tracks :-O

Very fun as well, slipstreaming is great!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
memecomplex said:
Ok so after more fiddling, I can confirm that there is no Force Feedback with RR7 using the DF Pro (only rumble). Wheel tension remains the same throughout, it doesn't get lighter and there's no kick back.

Edit: Plus I can't find a menu to set the DFP wheel settings. The game automatically detects the wheel, but there's no fiddling with settings. Your sixaxis defaults to controller 2.

memecomplex said:
Isamu great idea, just plugged in my old Logitech Driving Force Pro and it works a treat!!!
I didn't play for very long (on my lap, no table set up) but it feels like it's got Force Feedback (heavy steering) plus RUMBLE!!!!

RUMBLE!!!
WOOHOOO!!!!!

I'm suspecting that if we use that USB to PS2 adapter we might be able to play RR7 with rumble on a pad.

Will experiment more later.

what?......W-H-A-T-?????????????? I can't believe this.... so the game actually detects the DFP wheel and NO ONE else here reported this?

You say it has no FFB effects but there's rumble? That seems to indicate that it is made specifically for the that GT Force RX wheel, which is an exact replica of the GT Force EX wheel here in the US. So wait a sec....does the DFP wheel center itself and offer some kind of virtual spring tension at all?

Johnnyram, DCharlie, Bearminkytehbias?

Raistlin

The only truth I know, is that the game looks utterly mind-numbing on my TV. Seriously ... unbelievable at times.

(the game is hell-a-fun as well :D)

White Man

I'm guessing it's just me, but have they tightened up the drifting mechanics from RR6 and PSP Ridge Racer? Because I don't think I'm getting as much boost power from my drifts as I did in the previous games.

isamu said:
Hmm not sure what you mean...

Drafting/Slipstreaming... following behind a vehicle to ride in the reduced wave of air pressure created by their fast movement, thus thrusting any car following behind forward...

There is a slipstream meter in the bottom left hand corner of the HUD.

Onix said:
The only truth I know, is that the game looks utterly mind-numbing on my TV. Seriously ... unbelievable at times.

(the game is hell-a-fun as well :D)

We seriously need to organize a GAF league in the very near future. I'm having a blast with the game, and I don't even have an HDTV yet. The only thing this game lacks when compared with previous iterations is in the music category. Seriously...besides two, maybe three songs, the rest are forgettable best. R4's music > *. I wonder if Namco-Bandai would be open to releasing a music pack that featured music from previous RR's. PEARL BLUE SOUL FTW. Best. Song. Ever.

isamu

memecomplex said:
Yes it centers itself, and there is virtual spring tension on the DFP, but no FFB.

Confirms my suspicion that it was developed with the GT Force RX in mind.

isamu

memecomplex, you are a valuable asset to this thread. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you informing me of RR7 supporting the wheel.

I hope you don't mind if I continue to ask you an ongoing series of questions regarding the performance of the Driving Force Pro with RR7.

1)You mention that the wheel centers itself...what about the turning radius? Is it locked at what....180 degrees? 270 degrees?

2)What about the deadzone? Is there any?

3)How about sensitivity? Is the wheel too sensitive for RR7? Is there anyway to tune the sensitivity whatsoever?

4)What function is the gear lever on the DFP mapped to in RR7? Does RR7 allow you to map the buttons for gear shifting and nitrous boost to any button you want?

It would mean a lot to me if you could address these questions, thanks in advance :)

isamu said:
memecomplex, you are a valuable asset to this thread. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you informing me of RR7 supporting the wheel.

I hope you don't mind if I continue to ask you an ongoing series of questions regarding the performance of the Driving Force Pro with RR7.

1)You mention that the wheel centers itself...what about the turning radius? Is it locked at what....180 degrees? 270 degrees?

2)What about the deadzone? Is there any?

3)How about sensitivity? Is the wheel too sensitive for RR7? Is there anyway to tune the sensitivity whatsoever?

4)What function is the gear lever on the DFP mapped to in RR7? Does RR7 allow you to map the buttons for gear shifting and nitrous boost to any button you want?

It would mean a lot to me if you could address these questions, thanks in advance :)

No problem Isamu:

1. Turning radius is locked to 180 degrees
2. There's deadzone
3. It's not too sensitive and it's not too heavy either, unfortunately there are no options to set
4. No mapping specific to the DFP, but you can use the mapping options for Sixaxis. Everything works perfect, gear lever changes gears

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
My RR6 save file got messed up, I guess it's a sign I need to get this game. I remember reading somewhere that Namco planned to offer song downloads on this version, as they did with 6.

isamu

memecomplex said:
No problem Isamu:

1. Turning radius is locked to 180 degrees
2. There's deadzone
3. It's not too sensitive and it's not too heavy either, unfortunately there are no options to set
4. No mapping specific to the DFP, but you can use the mapping options for Sixaxis. Everything works perfect, gear lever changes gears
Thanks man.

So, for example, can you map the gear lever to be used as Nitrous boost 1(up) and Nitrous Boost 2(down)?

You also mention the wheel vibrates. How would you describe the vibration effects? Does the whole wheel rumble upon colliding with things like the guard rails, other cars, etc? Is the rumble strong or pretty weak?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Guileless said:
My RR6 save file got messed up, I guess it's a sign I need to get this game. I remember reading somewhere that Namco planned to offer song downloads on this version, as they did with 6.

What's the point of d/ling songs when you can just...

Ooooh...

*not trolling, I just forgot*

isamu said:
Thanks man.

So, for example, can you map the gear lever to be used as Nitrous boost 1(up) and Nitrous Boost 2(down)?

You also mention the wheel vibrates. How would you describe the vibration effects? Does the whole wheel rumble upon colliding with things like the guard rails, other cars, etc? Is the rumble strong or pretty weak?

Wow Isamu, you sure are curious about the DFP.

I'm not sure if you can map the gear lever as such. I think it has a default setting, for e.g. even without setting up anything, everything works perfect, including gear shifting with the paddles.

Wheel vibration is pretty noticeable, I didn't try it on a table so I can't really gauge it. No table to put it on at the moment. You get vibration effects from boosting, knocking into stuff, driving on gravel. It's a lot like what you get using the DS2. But there is no rumble when you charge nitrous unlike RR6.

isamu

memecomplex said:
Wow Isamu, you sure are curious about the DFP.

I'm not sure if you can map the gear lever as such. I think it has a default setting, for e.g. even without setting up anything, everything works perfect, including gear shifting with the paddles.

Wheel vibration is pretty noticeable, I didn't try it on a table so I can't really gauge it. No table to put it on at the moment. You get vibration effects from boosting, knocking into stuff, driving on gravel. It's a lot like what you get using the DS2. But there is no rumble when you charge nitrous unlike RR6.

Yeah, it's cuz I'm deciding between the DFP and the RX.

Can I ask, which buttons is nitrous assigned to? Triangle? Circle? Square? X?

isamu

Ah I see. Where are the L1 and L2 buttons placed on your wheel? Are they face buttons or are they the shift paddles?

Can you please do me a favor and fire up R7 with your DFP and tell me if the game will in fact allow more than one button configuration when the wheel is plugged in?

I'd appreciate it.

I wish they allowed you to play music from the HDD. Why did they omit this?!
The music in RR7 is a huge step down from RR4, or even RR5... There's only like 2-3 songs I can really listen to. They missed an opportunity here. Stupid. I still love the game though.

isamu

Some guy on Gamefaqs also claims the *DFP works* :dancingbanana:

Johnnyram how come do don't own a Logitech FFb wheel, mate?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i hate to commend namco's thrift here, but they've done a surprisingly good job of buliding a new game out of old parts...the car tweaking stuff is kinda fun once you get access to aftermarket tires. mild tires on a dynamic car produces a slippery-but-manageable ride almost reminiscent of the early ridge racer games.

isamu

drohne said:
i hate to commend namco's thrift here, but they've done a surprisingly good job of buliding a new game out of old parts...the car tweaking stuff is kinda fun once you get access to aftermarket tires. mild tires on a dynamic car produces a slippery-but-manageable ride almost reminiscent of the early ridge racer games.
Nice post drohne. I would like to ask, have any of you unlocked any old school tracks from either RRRType 4, RRV or Rage Racer? I would die if I discovered Overpass City Union Hill District was in there.

Jonnyram

isamu said:
Nice post drohne. I would like to ask, have any of you unlocked any old school tracks from either RRRType 4, RRV or Rage Racer? I would die if I discovered Overpass City Union Hill District was in there.
There's only one that I know of, and it's the
original RR track - seaside route 765

kevm3

We've had a lot of pics in the Resistance thread. ANyone got pics from some of the better tracks in RR7? It would be appreciated.

Jonnyram

ferrarimanf355 said:
Isn't that the track from Ridge Racer 6, or am I thinking of something else?
Nope, you're thinking of something else. If you think you haven't seen it yet, you first see it as
the final track in GP13
. After that, it's unlocked for arcade and multiplayer use.

Jonnyram said:
Nope, you're thinking of something else. If you think you haven't seen it yet, you first see it as
the final track in GP13
. After that, it's unlocked for arcade and multiplayer use.
Oh, schweet. So, is it possible that the other tracks are going to become available through download or something, or is Namco going to leave us hanging?

my friend just bought an flat panel Samsung 40 inch LCD HDTV and RR7 looks sooo much better on 1080P then it does on my standard TV

i cant afford an HDTV for the next 6 months, but man what a difference it makes compared to my ancient tube

gutter_trash said:
my friend just bought an flat panel Samsung 40 inch LCD HDTV and RR7 looks sooo much better on 1080P then it does on my standard TV

i cant afford an HDTV for the next 6 months, but man what a difference it makes compared to my ancient tube

No kidding... it's hard to believe but even a game like Blast Factor looks infinitely better when in HD (720p). I was stunned myself. At first I didn't think it was that big a deal, but it has made me a believer. SDTV is hard to go back to when it comes to playing games.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So now that I have Resistance finished, I've loaded up RR7. Initially I was a little disappointed by the image quality at 1080p...there seems to be an unusual amount of aliasing...but that has become less and less of an issue as the cars get faster.

I'm not a big ridge whore, just owning this and RR PSP (and playing a little RR5 in the arcade, that's about it). But somehow even the Class 3 machines were getting my heart beating, and now that I'm deep into Class 1 it's a sort of a trance. Really digging the game now at 38% completed.

While the game's visuals are a bit uneven, when it works it *really* works. Some of the levels are really great looking.

I suggest you guys take some time to drive slow around the tracks and admire all the little details namco put into this game... All of the billboards paying homage to other namco franchises is always cool... Plus the game is beautiful.

Nozi

Banned
I just finished Resistance so I fired up RR7 last night. The game truly looks almost exactly the same as RR6. One stage had softer bloom lighting, but I didn't play RR6 for too long so I don't always know which tracks are shared and which are unique. Needless to say they both look very similar and if you liked the look of RR6 you'll like this game too.

ferrarimanf355 said:
Oh, schweet. So, is it possible that the other tracks are going to become available through download or something, or is Namco going to leave us hanging?

Definitely possible. Namco built in a while download-race system (the UFRA special cup stuff that doesn't work yet) so while new tracks are a bit more of an undertaking I strongly believe the hooks are there. The fact they put in an install routine also backs this up in my mind; they basically just need to get the DLC going.

Jonnyram

JeffDowns said:
I suggest you guys take some time to drive slow around the tracks and admire all the little details namco put into this game... All of the billboards paying homage to other namco franchises is always cool... Plus the game is beautiful.
There's so many easter eggs in the game it's unfunny. We should have a thread for them. For starters, there's the rectangle things from Xevious flying over one of the new courses if you leave it still for long enough. Also, you can set special things off if you use triple nitrous in specific areas. I've found a lot of info on JP sites I can list, if anyone's interested.

RuGalz

Jonnyram said:
There's so many easter eggs in the game it's unfunny. We should have a thread for them. For starters, there's the rectangle things from Xevious flying over one of the new courses if you leave it still for long enough. Also, you can set special things off if you use triple nitrous in specific areas. I've found a lot of info on JP sites I can list, if anyone's interested.
My friend also sent me his replay last night showing how the glasses on buildings shatter as he drove pass them with level 3 nitro. Neat stuff.

Jonnyram said:

Please do!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
At around 70% completed now, doing the
extreme battles

Flex nitrous is really, really sick.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Not an absurd amount or anything ;b. I just haven't really lost any races, only one or two...and since the races get shorter and shorter as the cars get faster, we're talking around 2-4 minutes per race usually.

Top Bottom