• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott's Prometheus Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantidor

lol why does everybody keep saying only watch the first two? are the 2 after that really that bad?

somebody make an analogy so that I can understand the differences in quality here

To add to some comments already made, keep in mind the directors of 3 and 4 are none others than David Fincher and Jean Pierre Jaunet, both amazing directors with an spotless track record. There's quality in these movies, but you can see the studio meddled with them, and the final product didn't stand to the standards already set for the franchise.

I think Alien is a better piece of filmmaking overall, but I did want to say... I've seen Aliens probably 20+ times over the years, and even still the last 30 minutes of that film makes me so tense that I could break the arms off of my chair from gripping it so hard. The tension of Ripley going in after Newt and everything that follows is just spectacular, and I think that whole sequence stands toe to toe with any of the most tense scenes from the first film.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying there aren't intense sequences in Aliens, its just that the movie as a whole compared to Alien feels less intense to me. Alien just has this incredible, dark, terrifying, imposing atmosphere that just fucking grips me all the way through.

nel e nel

I don't see how this is relevant. Kids of today aren't the kids of 30/40 years ago.

You yourself said you were 11 when you went to see Gladiator. The relevancy is that more kids under 17 would be interested in seeing Prometheus than you think.

If my brother saw Alien when he was 12 ~30 years ago, and I saw Terminator when I was 11, then kids from 30/40 years ago aren't as different as kids of today.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
best part is that the locations they used for this film are real places you can find here on earth.

Hasn't Ridley Scott specifically said there will be no xenomorphs in this movie? Why do people keep mentioning facehuggers and shit if he's already said they won't be in the movie?

just seems to me the xenos have a critical connection to the jockey in some way/shape/form... so they have to be in this film at some point. Right?

I mean, we're bound to see something... maybe we just don't see the standard xeno from Alien/Aliens/Alien Resurrection because none of the humans are impregnated? Some crazy shit's happening to these crew members, but we know from the fossilized corpse that a chestburster penetrates the jockey at the very minimum.

or we go to the other theory that the derelict in ALIEN was totally different from what we are seeing in these trailers (meaning same design and what-not, just different location/cargo) and Scott is just trolling everyone. :D

Oh yeah, I'm not saying there aren't intense sequences in Aliens, its just that the movie as a whole compared to Alien feels less intense to me. Alien just has this incredible, dark, terrifying, imposing atmosphere that just fucking grips me all the way through.

Alien is ice, Aliens is fire. They're both equally tense, they just take different approaches to tightening the screw on the viewer.

Flo_Evans

Edmond Dantès;33680080 said:
Two distinct intelligent alien species plus humans and the Xenomorphs seems a bit excessive.

I am still going with one origin species, spreading DNA around the universe and evolving into wildly different species based on what corner of the galaxy they ended up.

They sent out lots of space jockeys targeted at different habitable planets, on earth we got humans, on LV246 or whatever they evolved into xenomorphs.

FStop7

Banned

Yeah, overall Alien is definitely much more of a horror film than an action film ala Aliens. It's funny because when I was a kid I preferred Aliens. But over time I've grown to prefer the original. I think partly because I can appreciate the artistry of making a truly scary film more, and also because the space marines trope has been largely run into the ground by a million imitators. Also, the xenomorph itself has largely been run into the ground via over exposure in other films, comics, etc. The more you see of the villain/monster, the less scary it becomes.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
DSC04199.jpg

biomechanic-by-h-r-giger54.jpg
So Freudian and typically Giger.

nel e nel

Alien is ice, Aliens is fire. They're both equally tense, they just take different approaches to tightening the screw on the viewer.

Yeah, I agree. Alien is a haunted house in space, with 1 monster hunting the crew down 1 by 1.

Aliens is being swarmed and overrun and 'ohshitohshitohshit!'

There's a fair indication in Alien that W-Y knew what was up when they subbed in Ash as science officer, and that the Nostromo crew was basically being intentionally walked into danger by W-Y.

Whether or not the company had deciphered and knew the contents of the message or not doesn't matter. It was still an alien message that had to be deciphered by the ships computer.

nel e nel

There's a fair indication in Alien that W-Y knew what was up when they subbed in Ash as science officer, and that the Nostromo crew was basically being intentionally walked into danger by W-Y.

I thought it was pretty blatant in Aliens what with Paul Rieser's character and Bishop and all.

EDIT: and if you want to get really technical, you could say that Aliens v. Predator is canon and that the OG Weyland knew about Xenomorphs from the Predator temple on Earth.

alphaNoid

Banned
The best way to end the whole Alien vs Aliens thing is to just realize they are 2 difference genres.. so they should not be compared directly to one another. Alien is a pure corridor, suspense driven horror film whereas Aliens is an in your face, intese, rollercoaster action movie with scary parts in it.

Horror film vs Action flim.

I'm glad we got both genres to be honest, if Aliens was another horror film trying to do what Alien did it simply would have failed. Cameron knew this, took a different route and created a masterpiece of an action film and the entire industry has tried to copy for almost 30 years.

Some details:

a3nfk.png

Space Jockey(?) standing in the chair room. You can tell by his size compared to the chair that he's not human. Also, notice the writing/symbols at the bottom.

Have mixed feelings about this if this guy is actually a jockey and that thing we've been calling a jockey since forever is actually a suit. In the original movie it definitely didn't look like a suit.

How is it not? Fox threw away Whedon's radical 'war on earth' first script and pursued another rehash of the Alien formula. They even
went to great lengths to bring back Sigourney even though she thought the concept sucked
just to make sure it wasn't in the least way different or fresh. The only director they could bribe to come anywhere near it was Jeunet - everyone else turned it down. Even he did until they offered him millions. Alien Resurrection only exists to grab more of dat Alien cash.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

According to Sigourney, she went back because of Jeunet, although maybe she has revised that statement recently. So no, I really don't think he was a desperate last measure in order to make bank, and I'm certain that it would have been a safer box office bet to hand it to any random action director than the (part) director of Delicatessen.

It was a damned shame about the editing/rewriting, that's for sure though, and in the end I don't think Jeunet was ever at all the right kind of director for an Aliens movie. Shame since it was dazzling, visually.

welp

1. The Hobbit
2. Prometheus
3. Dark Knight Rises

Sci-fi where have you been? yes I liked Star Trek and Avatar, loved even, but dark, scary sci-fi is so rare, even non-existential anymore. Pandorum was ass.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I hope this kicks off another era of great science fiction films eventually leading into the Rendezvouz With Rama adaptation that Morgan Freeman's been pushing for.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Have mixed feelings about this if this guy is actually a jockey and that thing we've been calling a jockey since forever is actually a suit. In the original movie it definitely didn't look like a suit.

Considering the whole ship is organic, it would make sense the "suit" was a suit.

Isn't that the thing we see in the trailer, but now it's fallen on its side?

Seems to be.
If it's the same one, how did all those eggs stay so neatly arranged?

Or did the eggs grow from an array of vials bolted to the floor?..

I'm kind of troubled how they're trying to outrun it instead of dashing off to the side. It's kind of huge though.

According to Sigourney, she went back because of Jeunet, although maybe she has revised that statement recently. So no, I really don't think he was a desperate last measure in order to make bank, and I'm certain that it would have been a safer box office bet to hand it to any random action director than the (part) director of Delicatessen.

It was a damned shame about the editing/rewriting, that's for sure though, and in the end I don't think Jeunet was ever at all the right kind of director for an Aliens movie. Shame since it was dazzling, visually.

also (arguably) the only blemish on Juenet's near flawless filmmaking career.

I want Juenet and Caro to team up again and make a spiritual successor to The City of Lost Children. :}

Edmond Dantès;33680595 said:
I hope this kicks off another era of great science fiction films eventually leading into the Rendezvouz With Rama adaptation that Morgan Freeman's been pushing.

I hope this leads to the return of FOX circa 1980.

You yourself said you were 11 when you went to see Gladiator. The relevancy is that more kids under 17 would be interested in seeing Prometheus than you think.

If my brother saw Alien when he was 12 ~30 years ago, and I saw Terminator when I was 11, then kids from 30/40 years ago aren't as different as kids of today.

I see what you're saying now, but I'm not sure I believe it. Kids have exponentially more entertainment options that when Alien and Terminator came out, and Prometheus is looking like a slow-burn compared to Transformers and Modern Warfare 3. According to my wife that's all the kids at the middle school talk about.

I guess I'm just saying that whether it's PG-13 or R it seems like something that wouldn't appeal to kids enough to really cut out a bunch of ticket sales. To Fox, I guess ANY lost ticket sales are a bad thing; they know the people who care about it being R or PG-13 will go anyway.

But whatever, evidence on both sides is anecdotal so I guess we'll find out next year.

Revenant

watching the trailer in hd...

1309805983200236.gif

Can't wait for this, I know exactly where I'm gonna watch it too, we got one of those nice theaters that has sofa seats and shit, serves beer and food.

best of all the audience is always quiet and respectful there. cost like 5 bucks more but easily worth it for this movie.

Yeah, overall Alien is definitely much more of a horror film than an action film ala Aliens. It's funny because when I was a kid I preferred Aliens. But over time I've grown to prefer the original. I think partly because I can appreciate the artistry of making a truly scary film more, and also because the space marines trope has been largely run into the ground by a million imitators. Also, the xenomorph itself has largely been run into the ground via over exposure in other films, comics, etc. The more you see of the villain/monster, the less scary it becomes.

yeah i went through this phase too

im back in ALIENS camp though.. it's just more fun to watch i think

ckohler

Your feelings aside, Ridley Scott has said that it was a suit. Most likely, bio-mechanical.

I thought it was pretty blatant in Aliens what with Paul Rieser's character and Bishop and all.

EDIT: and if you want to get really technical, you could say that Aliens v. Predator is canon and that the OG Weyland knew about Xenomorphs from the Predator temple on Earth.
AvP is not canon. It is jackassery of the worst sort.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I just can't believe how amazing it looks visually. Makes the recent crop of trailers (TDKR, Hobbit) look like made for tv snoozefests.

Simo

Weyland... yes... Yutani... not merged yet according to fan lore.

Also, you'll notice at the end of the trailer that if they are indeed on LV426, the lava explosions coming down may point to the sign of the environment changing in which we see in 'Alien' in which the environment changes due to volcanic eruptions.

Lastly, there is a shot from "Aliens" that is a split second cut on the credits of the ship that Newt's family finds.

This is definitely going to be a hell of a ride.

Watching the ending scenes in the trailer, it doesn't look like lava raining down but
possibly wreckage of the Prometheus? You can see debris all over the ground including the land vehicles from the ship.

Regarding the Space Jockey..
The scene with the chair rising out of the ground and the holographic map look almost as if they're the same room and the latter scene has Fassbender standing in the middle and with the perspective he doesn't look any small than the alleged Jockey.

72Z7H.png

Close up of the space jockey helmet/head/whatever.
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this GIANT UFO! That thing is huge.

Quick observation: If this is intended to be a helmet (with clear eyes), that's supposed to fit onto the large humanoid SJ's head, then why are the eye holes so far apart? They would need a strange shaped head to fit that. Also, it seems strange that there would eye-holes in a modern/future/alien helmet at all.

EVIL

you don't know what kind of helmet it is, maybe its some kind of death mask sculpted in likeness THEIR gods?. Remember, its alien tech, it doesn't need to make perfect sense from a human perspective.

FStop7

Banned
Alien Resurrection hate or not, The Newborn is fucking terrifying.

It looked fucking ridiculous. I got shushed in the theater twice for that film - the first time for laughing out loud at Dan Hedaya's comical expression when he examines a piece of his own brain and again for the stupid looking newborn alien thingy when it made a sad face.

AlienRes19.jpeg

Still makes me LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom