• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott's Prometheus Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno...I got a Event Horizon and any other military in space sci-fi!...

Also Inception-esque horn...c'mon!

Just seems like I've seen it and experienced it all before...
I don't think any of the people in this film are involved with the military. They are certainly not space marines if that's what you somehow gathered from "people exploring dark corridors and chambers, people being terrified".

I'm willing to bet that you haven't seen any of the movies in the Aliens series.
Movie will end where Alien begins.

Camera pans to a ship; The Nostromo.

Fade to Black

There is no other way.

"They call it... Halo"

EVIL

Yes because clearly this theme and atmosphere is so original and never been done before.

It all started with alien. which this movie is a prequel from. I doubt event horizon would have even been made without the influence of alien.

Fade to Black

There is no other way.

nah, when they arrived there the planet is in a totally different condition. so my guess is whatever happened it affected the planet to. plus the jockey was fossilized, so nostromo would have arrived quite a few years after it.

I'd guess the beacon is where it ends.

this movie doesnt seem the kind that puts up direct movie connections with alien by ending with opening scenes of alien

Yes because clearly this theme and atmosphere is so original and never been done before.

You're assuming an awful lot about the story and theme from a trailer that really doesn't tell us much. Especially since this obviously isn't a "military in space" story.

As for the atmosphere and art design...it's top notch. What are your qualms, specifically, with it?

ckohler

Here's my latest (probably incorrect) plot theory based on what I've read online, synopses and what I see in the trailer:

A group of scientists discover clues to the origin of mankind on Earth. These clues lead them to a/the Space Jockey's ship. Inside they find a room filled with barrels and giant human face.

The space jockeys were on their way to Earth to use what is in these barrels to ERADICATE HUMANITY. The reason for the human face is so that when the genetically engineered alien killing machines inside the barrels hatch, they are instinctively drawn to attach themselves to the first image that imprints upon them... a human face. The Space Jockey species aren't benevolent. They are transporting our doom. The one from the first Alien movie died when some of his cargo escaped prematurely.

Probably wrong but it kind of fits.

Nope. Ends with Batman looking out of a spaceship window. Fade out...

Batman vs Alien Christmas 2013

cmtGO.jpg

Yeah, can't blame "those bastard producers" for the shitty ass writing, inappropriate tone, and irreverence for the original films.

One of the rare good scenes in that movie is finding the failed hybrids.

Yeah it was terrible and I'll never forgive Joss Whedon for the awful story. No matter how it was going to be executed it was full of goofy comic book garbage, drama killing one liners, and characters designed just to bring certain actors in the film, like Chow Yun Fat who declined to be in the film.

That Hybrid scene and the one directly following it where they meet the guy with the Alien in his chest are actually flipped completely in the film vs. the script with the one happening before the other. Shows how empty and disconnected the screenplay was when they could grab two 10 minute long sequences and flip them. The way it is in the film It actually flattens out the characters as well because the hybrid scene builds empathy for clone Ripley and then the follow scene has people arguing with her again.

They've basically admitted they only put the Space Jockey scene in there because the thing looks awesome as hell and super-evocative, and the studio didn't want to let them waste money on a scene they saw as pointless. Fortunately Ridley and Giger won out.

In the original script and novelization there was a scene involving a pyramid like structure they entered on LV426/Acheron that had heirogylphics describing the Alien life cycle. They basically went in there, saw the images, and left to find the ship.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I don't think any of the people in this film are involved with the military. They are certainly not space marines if that's what you somehow gathered from "people exploring dark corridors and chambers, people being terrified".

I'm willing to bet that you haven't seen any of the movies in the Aliens series.

You could be right I dunno...just a guess on my part ofc.

I have watched the series...for me personally it only got progressively worse...sorry.

It all started with alien. which this movie is a prequel from. I doubt event horizon would have even been made without the influence of alien.

True...I only mentioned EH because it's sort of what I measure other creepy/terror theme sci fi on...

alphaNoid

Banned

Fade to Black

There is no other way.
There is about 50 years difference between Prometheus and Alien though, so unless they end the movie saying..

"...50 years in the future" and then pan to the Nostromo (which is NOT going to happen btw) its not going to happen.

Basically, its not going to end and like I said earlier the closest will be a panned shot of the Space Jockey ship crashed on LV426, sending a warning beacon out into space. That shot would lead fans to know what happens next sometime in the future is the Nostromo finding the signal.

I have to disagree. The trailer shows a movie with a very clean aesthetic compard to both of those movies and is also surprisingly bright for this type of movie. And I'm pretty sure these people are researcher and not marines. I'm not sure where you get the military theme from. Is there something I missed in the trailer?

alphaNoid

Banned
Do we know what year the movie takes place in?

If we take leaked (presumed debunked) scripts/plots seriously, look at the lore, look at the trailer and read about greek mythology of the titan Prometheus .. then if you were a betting man, the leaked plot said something like 2058. Which I 'believe' is ~50 years before Alien?

My lore is not exact, please excuse.

Flo_Evans

Edmond Dantès;33681349 said:
Maybe all Blade Runners were replicants, but distinct from the Nexus models and were more in tune with human emotions due to their programming. I mean who better to hunt down replicants than other replicants. This may be bit of stretch though.

Hey, replicants are getting out of control on earth. Lets make super replicants to hunt them down!

But lets make the super replicants physically weaker. Then we will let them retire to live out their life and have to convince then to get back into the blade running game!

Makes perfect sense...

Replicant

I'll admit I could have done without the text about finding man's beginning, then his end.
They kinda have to. Otherwise people will wonder why these characters roam the space in the first place. Even in the future one would assume that space expedition is not cheap. Also, when I was trying to summarize the plot on Tumblr, I realized there's so little info we have on the story....unless I rely on the spoiler I read a few months ago.

Yeah, I've always been wary of anybody that tries to argue that Deckard is a replicant. Even Scott himself.

Actually, Gavin Rothery, the concept artist for Moon came up with an amazing theory that suggests Deckard is a replicant implanted with the memories of Gaff. This is why Gaff knows what Deckard is thinking, is so standoffish towards him, knows cityspeak, knows how to hunt other replicants, and says at the end that he has "done a mans job"

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
IT'S NERDING TIME.

What follows next is wildly speculative but potentially spoiler heavy, so proceed with caution.

prometheus0001.jpg

Notice that logo on the rearview monitor. It is not a Weyland Yutani vehicle, but just Weyland Corporation one. Also, the camera shows that the vehicle is going backwards at full speed towards the alien chamber with the weird containers. Edit: Or maybe that's the cargo bay.

prometheus0000.jpg

Fassbender is an android so he gets to boss around with no exo helmet. I guess this tells us that everybody is aware of his synthetic nature. Also, do you see the containers? They have a small line around them, as if you could easily uncork them.

prometheus0007.jpg

Helmet is intact. Poor dude is getting broiled inside that suit. No facehuggers here.

Clip0002-3.jpg

They broke his helmet.

prometheus0008.jpg

That doesn't look like one of the alien barrels... but whatever it is, is something organic.

prometheus0002.jpg

That's a big ass road. Did they make it? Or did other people reach that planet before them?

prometheus0003.jpg

Noomi Rapace got fucked up. Everybody seems to be resting or post-medical check. My guess is that the bald dude is the same that got scalded inside of the suit.

prometheus0004.jpg

Theron is operating the star map.

Clip0014.jpg

Theron has a nice ass.

prometheus0009.jpg

It's a escape pod and she is bracing for launch! UH-OH SPAGHETTIOS.

prometheus0005.jpg

I thought at first that was the Space Jockey's ship in the middle of the space, but that is actually the ship crashing down like a motherfucker.

prometheus0006.jpg

Human made debris on the ground. Not looking good for the girls.

Damn.

charsace

This trailer is awesome. I would love to see Ridley and Giger team up and do Hyperion or I have no mouth and I must Scream. Could you guys imagine the ensemble cast Ridley would put together and Giger's imagining of The Shrike?

Zeliard

Of course it's original; Ridley Scott and H.R. Giger practically created an entire visual style, and Alien itself along with Halloween effectively started a new genre with their heavy influence on subsequent slasher films.

Sexualized, biomechanical art design, psychological sci-fi horror - this stuff is hardly ubiquitous especially in film, and as well it shouldn't be, since it would just be seen as heavily derivative of H.R. Giger and Ridley Scott's work on Alien.

Hey, replicants are getting out of control on earth. Lets make super replicants to hunt them down!

But lets make the super replicants physically weaker. Then we will let them retire to live out their life and have to convince then to get back into the blade running game!

Makes perfect sense...

All the escaped replicants were due to die very soon. It could just be a wild goose chase to test the latest model. Alternatively Deckard wins in the end. So he is superior to the other replicants.

And the goal of the Tyrell corporation was to make Humans and Replicants indistinguishable. It stands to reason that they should be made weaker or at least to think they are weaker.

And I don't even think Deckard is a replicant anyway. It doesn't even matter. The film is about finding humanity in a philosophical way not in a scientific way. Batty and Deckard and Rachel were all equally human by the end of the film.

Of course it's original; Ridley Scott and H.R. Giger practically created an entire visual style, and Alien itself along with Halloween effectively started a new genre with their heavy influence on subsequent slasher films.

Sexualized, biomechanical art design, psychological sci-fi horror - this stuff is hardly ubiquitous especially in film, and as well it shouldn't be, since it would just be seen as heavily derivative of H.R. Giger and Ridley Scott's work on Alien.

Don't worry. Its like when people accused Cameron of ripping off HALO.

This trailer is awesome. I would love to see Ridley and Giger team up and do Hyperion or I have no mouth and I must Scream. Could you guys imagine the ensemble cast Ridley would put together and Giger's imagining of The Shrike?

A giger made shrike would be beautiful.

jett

D-Member
Trailer looks fantastic. Great thing to wake up to. As for..

You're dreaming ma'jett. Sunshine looks FANTASTIC! And the reason Solo rightfully drew that comparison is because Boyle was actively trying to channel Alien. Only the Icarus in Sunshine was made with scientific practicality in mind.

I watched Alien on BD two weeks ago. Makes sunshine look like a bowl of dog turd, so I guess Boyle failed completely.

I think the ship is taking off in that one scene only to explode on its way up and rain down debris.

The hole in the alien ship in the explosion scene is exactly where it is in Alien when they find it.

charsace

I am think these things will be revealed in the movie:

1) I'm starting to think that in the movie its going to be revealed that humans are just a subset of the Jockey race who left their civilization a long time ago.

2) That the Jockeys engineered weapons. Like for example whatever is attacking the crew and maybe even the xenomorphs. Who they engineered these creatures for is the question. If the Predator species was really in the same universe then it would make sense that it would be to combat them.

mjc

It looks like Fassbender is operating the star map inside the ship, not Theron.

Maybe he's the one that feeds back info on the mission to Weyland Corp?

MNC

I found a new wallpaper. That starmap is amazing. BUT THAT ASS. Hmm. I want to use the starmap as a wallpaper, but make it less crowded. Would the best way to put a black tainted color over it? NO RIGHT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom