• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime Creative Director: "Reading Neogaf made me cry for two days"

Ran rp

Reminds me:
2573057-1369850688-14032.png

(hundreds, bigly)

does he ask every dev he meets what they think about neogaf? kinda obsessive

cLOUDo

geez
i dont remember a direct attack at him
the negative comments are something usual in this bussiness
and personally believe that you should embrace all that comments and made a better game

There is some devs here in GAF, and all of them had been very profesional with the comments (even the negatives)

PSY・S;234159937 said:
(hundreds, bigly)

does he ask every dev he meets what they think about neogaf? kinda obsessive

What I find funny about this is that while neogaf can get very toxic I feel like neogaf is actually pretty tame in the grand scheme of popular gaming themed forums or comment sections. Maybe I just do a good job avoiding a lot of the toxicity? I don't know...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sometimes neogaf is really toxic. As an example, the 2 bullshit posts listed in the OT and the huge related controversy really hurted them, and all that was just based in false stuff.

Constructive criticism is good especially when deserved. But quite frequently instead of that neogaf gets full of not useful hyperbolic toxicity that only generates bad mood for everybody. And in this case it wasn't even because of how a game was. Seriously, think how stupid it is:

People were spreading false rumors and throwing shit just because they didn't show more stuff of the game during a long period of time and because they doubted the game was going to achieve what was shown in the original trailer. Hell, just wait and if you don't like the final result don't buy it and move on. There are hundreds of reasons -and many of them can't be controlled by devs- of why they couldn't show more during a long period of time, or why a game may be downgraded comparing the final result vs the original idea shown.

Do we TRULY know for a fact that all of the rumors were false? Or you letting this dev off the hook because he told the world that we made him cry?

Have they actually explained what happened and does it match up with some reporting by a 3rd party source?

jennetics

It's a pretty dumb rule since there's literally no human being on this planet that doesn't gossip/talk about people behind their backs.

...so because people gossip/talk crap behind other peoples backs you shouldn't be pleasant online? I don't understand your reasoning.

wildfire

Banned
It's funny how Cliff and others will take the time to let us know how little we matter, but NeoGAF is the only online community that gets called out like this. You never see shit like, "Listen here, GameFAQs forums..." They care very much about telling us how little they care.

True and that's because when it comes forums in general NEOgaf is literally among the biggest forums. We're easily in the top 3 gaming specific forums on the net.

True and that's because when it comes forums in general NEOgaf is literally among the biggest forums. We're easily in the top 3 gaming specific forums on the net.

There's also a relative sense of organization and personality. Since accounts aren't 100% easy to come by and a lot of posters have been using the same avatars for a fuckton of time, it creates a sense of group that wouldn't be possible with interchangeable screen names or sheer complete anonymity.

eso76

Armchair game developers don't understand how hard it is to make everything work out in modern videogames and are unfair to developers who couldn't match their (own, in most cases) vision.

Internet gave everyone the ability to let their opinion be heard by developers and artists and politicians. This is great to an extent. But it doesn't mean every opinion should be taken into account.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
From the top of my head I can tell you Rushy (DriveClub) is active here and also someone involved in Ratchet and Clank posts here regularly.
And that's just the two I know of. It's not like I actively look for devs.

There's at least one Ready At Dawn person still reading The Order threads of all things.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
There's at least one Ready At Dawn person still reading The Order threads of all things.

They have a new game called Deformers coming out and I've seen RAD developers in threads about it. They're very welcoming and most people treat them fine even after the reception the Order 1886 got from many people here.

DekuLink

tbh I think NeoGAF over all has a much friendlier discussion climate than many other forums, like facebook comments, youtube comments and other classic forums. Feels like a meme by now complaining about how bad NeoGAF is when it's more or less just like every other forum on internet, with much better moderation than most though.

Not to defend people attacking others and making them feel bad. Every forum would be better off without people attacking each other and others and it can be a bit embarrassing getting to emotional over discussion about games (speaking about forum members now, not the Rime director).

King_Moc

Banned
They have a new game called Deformers coming out and I've seen RAD developers in threads about it. They're very welcoming and most people treat them fine even after the reception the Order 1886 got from many people here.

RAD were pretty honest and open about the kind of game we would be getting, they just misread the market for it. There's no reason to dislike them for it.

HStallion

RAD were pretty honest and open about the kind of game we would be getting, they just misread the market for it. There's no reason to dislike them for it.

Oh I agree and I wasn't the biggest fan myself but its not like they've run screaming from this forum because people didn't universally love their game and were pretty vocal about their dislike when it first released. Much the same a ton of indie game threads often see developers not just showing up to talk about the game but I've seen tons join GAF just to be able to post in those threads and communicate with their potential fan base.

Audioboxer

This is a bit nonsense. You have the weights completely reversed here.

How many examples do you have of companies actually trying to screw gamers over? And I don't mean "mediocre game = screwing gamers" I mean, actually making an effort to trick people into buying their products? I have a sneaking suspicion that the number would fall far short of a million. I honestly don't think the same could said about the reverse.

And the sentiment of "The internet is a tough place, you just need a thick skin" is the sentiment used by assholes to pretend as if they aren't any worse than anyone else.

Well, Microsoft alone tried to bend over a whole bunch of 360/Xbox gamers in one fell swoop with a draconian DRM system that would have been put in place just to financially benefit them.

On a micro level follow JS over the years and see a lot of the shit PR/marketing try and pull, and franchises eroded or sent to the dogs.

Stop pretending like this industry is all flowers and cotton candy and the "poor corporations" need more love.

Money is being exchanged for products, often at times $60 a pop, far more than a cinema ticket or a monthly sub to Netflix. With that will often come a lot of criticism as buyers go full throttle to pre-order and buy day 1. Why do you think release day review embargoes are a thing? I have said multiple times this is the fault of consumers and pre-order culture, people need to restrain themselves, but corporations are sly around this and very few pro-consumer enough to allow reviews a week or so in advance of release. Gotta hide those broken games at launch or keep the vertical slice dreams alive.

As much as many of you want to constantly deflect and go "btw there is trolls and nasty people on the internet", stop being corporate shills and trying to throw genuine criticism under the bus to save face for corporations. That is where people mean "grow a thicker skin". No one sane is referring to trolls/harassment, but criticism of products/studio decisions that go hand in hand with being given cold hard cash.

bunbun777

Of the hundreds of friends I have (most of which read Gaf) they all think Cliff is a cunt and would avoid his games if there were any.

I don't even mean it but it hurts inside and these feelings have to be expressed.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yeah insomniac dudes post here, Stinkles works at 343 and is extremely active over on the Off Topic sides but posts on the gaming side (actually, he posted a rebuttal in the "Halo Anniversary is a scam" thread, so good on him for facing that kind of criticism head on like that). Lots of indie devs of course.

As far as Shinobi goes, I don't trust him anymore, but it wasn't the Mass Effect thing, it was the fact that he became an insider of virtually everything. He knew Sony stuff, MS stuff, tons of publisher plans, the Scorpio specs before they were revealed, etc. No one insider knows all that info (obviously insiders have jobs deep within the industry) and some of his "inside knowledge" felt like speculation (like saying Crackdown was in development trouble). It drives me up the wall when an insider proclaims to know literally everything because they can be trusted so highly that anything they say can set off a firestorm. I'm glad he left GAF, he belongs on Twitter, and the community is better as a result.

but I cry evry tiem

Of the hundreds of friends I have (most of which read Gaf) they all think Cliff is a cunt and would avoid his games if there were any.

I don't even mean it but it hurts inside and these feelings have to be expressed.

Is there even anyone left on Earth who doesn't think that Cliff is an asshole though?

Banned
1) You're in the wrong industry if you're this sensitive

2) Showing CGI trailers and passing them off as gameplay is deceptive marketing and you have yourselves to blame for the cynicism shown by gamers

3) Your game's development certainly had the appearance of vapourware or never hitting the target set by your cgi trailer

4) GAF can be great at times but don't let it or any other forum be a good source for reception to a game. Forums like this or GameFAQ's are usually filled with the enthusiast crowd of gaming who aren't a good barometer for how the mainstream audience will receive your game. 60% who buy Rime will probably never even know about its development hell or fake trailers or what a Neogaf is.

Banned
This is the problem.
Why is this an acceptable state of affairs?
Mostly because video games are considered art, and art is subjective, therefore it will be criticized.

If you're sensitive you likely take criticism personally and get offended by it and don't use it constructively.

HStallion

Mostly because video games are considered art, and art is subjective, therefore it will be criticized.

If you're sensitive you likely take criticism personally and get offended by it and don't use it constructively.

Maybe the Rime director would enjoy hearing Gordon Ramsey's thoughts on his home made dinner?

Costia

I have a feeling they weren't referring to posts intended to be constructive criticism.

Auctopus

This is the problem.
Why is this an acceptable state of affairs?

Any industry/creative passtime that involves you putting yourself/your work out there requires you not be sensitive to criticism.

I'll admit the gaming industry has some of the worst offenders in terms of critique but this company put out a fake video, if reports are to be believed, they even lied to Sony about the state of their game. They're going to be critiqued and I was interested in Rime when it first came out and followed it for a while, I don't remember people getting that offensive? Some developers (especially ones who have dipped their toes in the forum) have received far worse.

Banned
I have a feeling they weren't referring to posts intended to be constructive criticism.
No but what I'm saying is if the director is crying about things said about his game before it's even released how is he going to react when the game actually comes out and perhaps reviews poorly or mixed? Is he gonna cry? It's the wrong type of personality to have in an industry like this.

Banned
This is an unacceptable attitude to have in any industry.

No one should should have to deal with normalized cruelty because of the career they choose.
It wasn't cruelty. It was criticism based off of lying and shady video game marketing.

They did something scummy and got shat on for it.

It's like a kid crying after being scolded by their parents for doing the thing they were told not to.

scamander

Banned

Yes, cartridges are more expensive than optical media. News at 11. Nintendo really should have used Blu-ray discs for their portable, tablet-like system.

Here's another idea:
If you're an Indie developer that is going with a low print-run and is actually affected by higher cartridge prices thanks to that, just don't. No one is forcing you to release a retail version.

If you absolutely must here is a second idea: Divide the additional costs upon all releases- no one would ever know (unlike this PR disaster).

UrbanRats

Gamers have good reason to be weary of bullshit trailers and promises, many publishers abused that trust several times over.

It's always sad and mortifying to read this kind of comment on a human and personal level of course, but at the same time, that backlash wasnt there completely devoid of a larger context.

Rime looks good (and real) now, so hopedully it will deliver on that promise, indeed.

PooBone

People can be entitled shitbags when talking about video games, or any product for that matter, especially with the anonymity of the internet. I'm certainly not guiltless.

Budi

So, firstly I don't think he was accusing Neogaf being some nest of horrible monsters. And overall some responses seem very hostile to this, he shared his experience. He was personally very affected by people's reactions and more so harsh words towards a project he clearly seems passionate about.

Secondly I really don't like the mentality that when we find someone to be emotionally sensitive, they get shamed for it. Or are met with any kind of hostility. "Change a career then if you can't handle my shitposting!" "Oh you fragile snowflake!" People hear and see that someone is sensitive, they start kind of bullying.

And for the price difference, this happens all the time no? I don't compare console game prices since I usually own just one current system at the time (if even that). But even on release, without any discounts, bought from a legitimate source, I often see PC version of a game to be cheaper than the console counterpart. Like I checked Deus Ex Mankind Divided on PS Store 69 euros, while it's 49 in Steam (was on launch too). And I really don't see controversy about it, people aren't demanding price parity between platforms.

Well, Microsoft alone tried to bend over a whole bunch of 360/Xbox gamers in one fell swoop with a draconian DRM system that would have been put in place just to financially benefit them.

On a micro level follow JS over the years and see a lot of the shit PR/marketing try and pull, and franchises eroded or sent to the dogs.

Stop pretending like this industry is all flowers and cotton candy and the "poor corporations" need more love.

Money is being exchanged for products, often at times $60 a pop, far more than a cinema ticket or a monthly sub to Netflix. With that will often come a lot of criticism as buyers go full throttle to pre-order and buy day 1. Why do you think release day review embargoes are a thing? I have said multiple times this is the fault of consumers and pre-order culture, people need to restrain themselves, but corporations are sly around this and very few pro-consumer enough to allow reviews a week or so in advance of release. Gotta hide those broken games at launch or keep the vertical slice dreams alive.

As much as many of you want to constantly deflect and go "btw there is trolls and nasty people on the internet", stop being corporate shills and trying to throw genuine criticism under the bus to save face for corporations. That is where people mean "grow a thicker skin". No one sane is referring to trolls/harassment, but criticism of products/studio decisions that go hand in hand with being given cold hard cash.

We gotta hold these toymakers accountable, man!! If we don't draw a line in the sand and say "NO MORE!" they might start making EVEN WORSE TOYS! Wake up sheeple!

Pavaloo

how many users have often heard "i only stick to OT" when talking about this forum?

how many times have you seen people personally insulted in the direction a game took? Or when a voice actor was recast?

I'd wager these aren't strange concepts to a lot of posters here and I think it's worth reflection. The knee-jerk defensiveness of some posters is as well. 'At least we're not /v/' is not a good reason to not strive to be better.

I'm definitely guilty of doing it in the past, but I've tried for a while now to change perspectives.

I don't know what this creative director had to go through, but if anything I'm glad they spoke to see this sort of conversation happening here. This isn't how I feel because "artists work hard and you should be nice to them" at all. Criticism is one thing, vitriol is another and it's tough to watch one spill into the other. Stuff can get downright spiteful

Top Bottom