• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rime Re-Reveal gameplay trailer (PC/PS4/XB1/Switch, May 2017)

Ahasverus

All this info comes from a source very close to the studio.

This words are a direct quote from my source about this news and the studio itself (it contains his personal opinion):

"This is a consecuence of the bad studio direction, basically Raul Rubio thinks that he is the next Tim Schafer. The truth is that Raul was fired from MercurySteam. The people from MercurySteam speak really bad about him (the main critics are: he has no idea about games, technology and he has crazy ideas without sense).
tumblr_n2yhvtTR8O1t9hyr4o1_400.jpg

Daamn. If Enric "You work for me and I don't care" Alvarez fires you from MercurySteam for being to cocky, you should really reevaluate yourself.

Any links? I want some drama for my afternoon.

Glad it seems to be over though. Looks great.

Well I hope it will go well since all the things I heard about the development don't inspire confidence.in the game.

But maybe it changed a lot since then so I will be optimistic.

P.S: Deadlight was a ps3/pc exclusive (i saw it running on a ps3) until Ms paid for the exclusive. Then Tequila asked again MS with Rime but they rejected it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=164727465#post164727465

Well... there was a rumor on a Spanish forum about Sony not being happy with Tequila...
Could you please provide a link? I think this is new.
http://www.vandal.net/foro/mensaje/811532/playstation-4-hilo-oficial-/2771
eqJ2mtB.png

Repeat, take this as rumor.

Basically... game development is going bad, Sony people in their offices every two weeks... they don't know what to do... test groups say that the thing is boring...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=183252020&postcount=118
Thank you. This sounds very bad. I put it through Google Translate and here is what I got.
Originally Posted by Xilos

This morning talking with a colleague (discussing things about the Spanish industry and others) told me certain things RIME Secret : (Click to read)
and the game goes horribly wrong

every 2 weeks there are people in the office sony to give cane

basically you do not know what to do

have stage 1 full, but test groups say it is boring

and since there are only puzzles

in the game you can not attack

sun go from one place to another by puzzles

xD

is a fail

because Sony gave them an ultimatum
You've invested a lot of money and the game is a meh

They filled memory PS4

and were several days until 3 am deleting shit and cutting textures
I the person who told me I pretty credibility (the other person and for that ... I do not know XDD)
The user has 22k posts so I don't believe that he is making it up.

edit: This was posted July 6, 2015.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=183278187&postcount=128

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'll consider it on the Switch.
Would have loved to see a combat system in this one. I fear running around solving puzzles will get boring.

I was crazy hyped for this, but I am much more cautious after hearing about the drama that went down at the studio. Just a few months ago, it seemed like there was no game at all, so it seems suspicious that all of a sudden it's looking better than ever and within 6 months of release.

That being said, this is an era where The Last Guardian is an actual, playable game that you can pop into your console right now. So, fingers crossed that Rime, too, beats the odds.

SuomiDude

Interested in Switch version for sure. Looks like a nice adventure game with great atmosphere. Will wait for reviews first though.

Ydelnae

Rumors we started, which makes them meaningless.

Tequila's problems with Rime certainly aren't just based on "rumors" that online communities started. They dug their own hole with their own statements, interviews and comments about the game. And as they themselves stated, the fallout with Sony didn't happen with no reason.

Now they seem to be on the right path, though, just focusing on making a good game. all they need to do is to let their work speak for itself. They are pretty much a novel studio and if these past two years have reached them more about the industry, we can move on and focus on how the game will turn out.

Ahasverus

Now they seem to be on the right path, though, just focusing on making a good game. all they need to do is to let their work speak for itself. They are pretty much a novel studio and if these past two years have reached them more about the industry, we can move on and focus on how the game will turn out.
Exactly. We should focus on the end product. If they get their vision back then it will be a learning experience for them, and maybe we get a good game. That's cool. If not, well, at least we gave them the benefit of doubt.

SlashX

I havent compared it to the original trailer but I feel like the game has some weird brown filter now.

Just double checked and yeah, the game looked more vibrant and lacked a dull brown filter. Heres to hoping reshade will fix this for me.

Supposing this game turns out to be good, I'll make sure to not get it on the Switch, but rather on PS4, because I want the graphically superior version, and not the downgraded-last-gen-graphics-that-the-Switch-version-will-inevitably-end-up-looking-like version.

Pics_nao

This is that Wind Waker looking game right? At work so I can't watch the trailer for a few minutes

If so, day 1 on switch instead of PS4

Dariuas

RiME Community Manager
Hey everyone,

I have introduced myself in the past on some of these threads about RiME but I'll do it again really quickly here before I dive into some posts and try to cover most of it. My name is Tim; I am the Team Grey Box Community Manager for RiME.

When you first heard of RiME it was going to be a Playstation exclusive, and while that is the past of RiME, the game that you see today is with Grey Box. We are helping Tequila Works make the game they originally envisioned and are helping them release that vision. The old trailer and information show off a very early iteration of RiME and are not representative of the final product that will be released later this year.

I have seen some posts asking if the game is real, and I can promise you that it is very much real. From the moment I started working here, I started playing RiME, I have watched it grow, provided feedback on the gameplay and had in-person meetings with Tequila Works at their offices in Madrid. Nothing you see today about RiME is fake. All footage was 100% taken from an actual playable version of the game. With that, some folks have commented on the FPS of the trailer, and while the trailer is in 30FPS, it was captured in a development build and the game is still being optimized.

We will be releasing RiME on PC, Xbox One, Playstation 4 and the Nintendo Switch, as I mentioned we're releasing in May, and once we have a more concrete day we'll let you know.

RiME is an exciting adventure game that I have really enjoyed working on, and I know people will enjoy playing.

I am glad you guys are part of this adventure, and cannot wait for you to get your hands on it!

~Tim

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Hey Tim, provided Switch releases in time for that, will the Switch version be day-and-date with the other versions? Also: Will there be a physical release or only download?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The old trailer and information show off a very early iteration of RiME and are not representative of the final product that will be released later this year.

Not to take away from your broader point about the shifts in development and wanting to reassure everyone things are going okay...

But the current trailer is actually shockingly close to the original trailer in implementation. Key mechanics and design like activating by shout, being able to affect the day-night cycle using an in-game object, the tower with the keyhole, the walking creatures with two legs and diving bell looking heads, the scary flying creature, swimming, the main character's design, towers growing up out of the ground, the fox, the bridge to nowhere are all present in both trailers. So I would be pretty surprised if, by that token, the 2014 trailer was unrepresentative.

If anything the similarity between the two trailers shows that they've managed to realize their original vision effectively, tbqh.

Servbot24

Banned
Looks pretty, but pointless. Witness and TLG are my top 2 games of the year. From what they're showing in the trailer, this is nothing like those, just a shallow mimicry. My expectations are low due not to the dev time, but due to the trailers (new and old).

Axass

Hey everyone,

I have introduced myself in the past on some of these threads about RiME but I'll do it again really quickly here before I dive into some posts and try to cover most of it. My name is Tim; I am the Team Grey Box Community Manager for RiME.

Are the desaturated colours a stylistic or a technical choice? Because I think everybody liked the more vibrant ones, and that's what stands out the most to me, I don't care about framerate at all.

RPGCrazied

Looks beautiful. Glad Its not canned, was wondering what happened to this game. Is this an indie game, or full blown $60? Either way it looks cool.

Mr. Tibbs

Hi Dariuas,

Roughly how many people are working on the game and when did work begin which was "representative of the final product" for RiME?

Cheers and best of luck for the final months of development!

P.S. I still have my copy of Edge when RiME graced the cover.
b0ofsmfcqaanr-193rrt.png

They ditched Demon's Souls but went crawling back didn't they.

They didn't stop funding production like they did with Rime, Remember Me and LA Noire. They just didn't localize it.

As in just as much as your statement. That is the point.

Well, that's wrong. His argument is that prior games abandoned by Sony have not turned out well. A counter to that argument is not, "well, some of the games they haven't abandoned haven't turned out great either" because that's completely irrelevant to what he said. He's not talking about those games they haven't abandoned -- that's a different group entirely.

Hi Dariuas/Tim, could you tell me more about the story of the game please? What's going on, what are we going to do?

I assume it's an exploration game where you have to solve puzzles and stuff to unlock other areas but an official blurb would be great.

Thanks.

RPGCrazied

Hi Dariuas/Tim, could you tell me more about the story of the game please? What's going on, what are we going to do?

I assume it's an exploration game where you have to solve puzzles and stuff to unlock other areas but an official blurb would be great.

Thanks.

Looks like Zelda, but without the combat. Looks Wind Waker style.

Hey everyone,

When you first heard of RiME it was going to be a Playstation exclusive, and while that is the past of RiME, the game that you see today is with Grey Box. We are helping Tequila Works make the game they originally envisioned and are helping them release that vision. The old trailer and information show off a very early iteration of RiME and are not representative of the final product that will be released later this year.

I have seen some posts asking if the game is real, and I can promise you that it is very much real. From the moment I started working here, I started playing RiME, I have watched it grow, provided feedback on the gameplay and had in-person meetings with Tequila Works at their offices in Madrid. Nothing you see today about RiME is fake. All footage was 100% taken from an actual playable version of the game. With that, some folks have commented on the FPS of the trailer, and while the trailer is in 30FPS, it was captured in a development build and the game is still being optimized.

We will be releasing RiME on PC, Xbox One, Playstation 4 and the Nintendo Switch, as I mentioned we're releasing in May, and once we have a more concrete day we'll let you know.

RiME is an exciting adventure game that I have really enjoyed working on, and I know people will enjoy playing.

I am glad you guys are part of this adventure, and cannot wait for you to get your hands on it!

~Tim

Certainly appreciate the communication and I'll be keeping an eye on it as it moves towards it's release, but let's be real here, the early version was a concept and little more. While I believe they were working on it at the time, it's pretty evident at this point that everything we saw was not in game and in no way playable back then. The iteration behind the scenes was clearly not at a similar level or else we wouldn't be where we are today.

That said, I wish you and the team at Tequila Works all the best with the game and will be looking forward to seeing more despite being a bit on the fence at the moment. At least since it isn't far out now I guess we'll get more reasonably soon. Good approach whoever decided to wait so long by the way. Given everything that happened before, a release with a release date very close by feels like the best way to handle it, or at least, makes it easier to trust that what we're seeing is what we'll be playing this time.

sanstesy

Well, that's wrong. His argument is that prior games abandoned by Sony have not turned out well. A counter to that argument is not, "well, some of the games they haven't abandoned haven't turned out great either" because that's completely irrelevant to what he said. He's not talking about those games they haven't abandoned -- that's a different group entirely.

It really isn't. The sample size we have for Sony abandoning a game is Remember Me and LA Noire. One was exactly what the developers said it is and other less so. There is no solid argument to be made that games Sony abandons turn out terribly just as it is the case to the contrary with lots of Sony pushed games.

This is the type of game I'd play on Switch because of the portability.

Why this game more than any other game? What's so special about this game that makes it seem more enjoyable in portable form than at home? I just don't get it. Unless a game has GPS features or proximity sharing features or some such, I just don't see what makes a game like this more enjoyable on the go. It seems no different than any other game I play at home.

The sample size we have for Sony abandoning a game is Remember Me and LA Noire. One was exactly what the developers said it is and other less so. There is no big argument to be made that games Sony abandons turn out terribly just as it is the case to the contrary with lots of Sony pushed games.

I doubt anyone on the internet knows all of the released games that Sony abandoned. Those are just the ones publicly known about.

But it still doesn't change the fact that your post doesn't have any relevance towards what he said. It doesn't matter what happens with the games that Sony continues to support. That group is separate from the group of games they abandoned (which is what the other user was discussing).

As in just as much as your statement. That is the point.

When a publisher drops a game its usually an indication that the game is not up to snuff. I have never seen a game that was dropped by a publisher that turned out to be more then mediocre. Even when publishers publish a bad game it still means they had faith in the game like Recore or Order 1886.

sanstesy

I doubt anyone on the internet knows all of the released games that Sony abandoned. Those are just the ones publicly known about.

But it still doesn't change the fact that your post doesn't have any relevance towards what he said. It doesn't matter what happens with the games that Sony continues to support. That group is separate from the group of games they abandoned (which is what the other user was discussing).

I already said my post had as much relevance as his post had, which is that that is of no relevance to the quality of the game and how it turns out. Again, that is the point.

I completely forgot that this game was supposed exist after the reported Sony fallout.

Also this. Knowing the (supposed) development history I'm rather cautious on how this game turns out.

Oh dear... (hehe)

Yes, but, no reason a game cant go through a troubled history and turn out great.

The vision seems to be realized, the mechanics look nice, and the game seems to borrow from my all time favourites. Sure it doesn't look original in that regard, but it still seems special.

Only disappointment is the art direction looks less special to match, but there is a lot of promise, especially since we have devs/publishers swearing it to be real.

Top Bottom