• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP SOCOM: ....Confrontation, SOCOM 4, MAG servers going down

dezzy8

It's sad to see SOCOM die a terrible death. If only Confrontation's budget was bigger. That game was fucking awesome. SOCOM 4 was ass.

ThisOne

It probably wasn't a great game, but the PSN outage really hindered Socom 4. The outage happened like less than a week after the game came out.

Ridley327

It probably wasn't a great game, but the PSN outage really hindered Socom 4. The outage happened like less than a week after the game came out.

It happened the day after it came out, in fact; it also prevented Portal 2 owners from synching up their Steam accounts to get their free PC copy.

MAG was sweet early on. The expansion stuff never really grabbed me, but the early days of Domination were fantastic. Long live Valor!

repeater

Right, so this explains why yesterday when I went to download the PS+ one hour trial for MAG that I'd previously seen, I couldn't even find the regular game on the PSN store, either via the webstore or the console storefront. Too bad.

impact

Banned

Ditto for MK9 and it still managed to be the best selling game of the month and best selling fighting game this gen. What killed SOCOM 4 was the terrible open beta, and the game itself being pretty damn bad too.

zugzug

MAG was sweet early on. The expansion stuff never really grabbed me, but the early days of Domination were fantastic. Long live Valor!

to date prolly my biggest waste of a full price purchase ever. I simply am not meant to ever ever play a FPS shooter on a console ever. Never got out of the placement matches the what 3 times I sat down to play MAG to even pick a side.

I remember seeing this at E3 and being so zomg this is gonna be the awesome. I failed at MAG. I supported the company with full purchase price but never got personal satisfaction from it. Complete waste of my personal use of money.

VanWinkle

Poor MAG. I really enjoyed that game. I have SOCOM 4 but haven't even played it. Must be hardly ANYBODY playing these if they're closing the servers.

Socom 4 wasn't actually that bad, it just wasn't Socom. If they released that same game under a different name... a Non-Socom IP... it wouldn't have been blasted nearly as hard in the word of mouth and would've had a chance to survive longer than it did.

But it did have problems like spraying an smg across the map and getting headshots more often than not.

93xfan

Banned
No, the game being a piece of shit put a dent in it.

True. The cover system and new rules made camping the prominent strategy. I just really wish we could get Socom 2 HD with Abandoned in the day. If they would do that and fix the glitches, I'd probably buy the game for multiple friends, just to have more people I know play.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
RIP Massive Action Game. My favorite mp game this gen. Met and played with a lot of Gaffers through MAG.

Sony would be smart to release all the dlc for free and offer the games at a low price.

Sothpaw

Socom? really? I thought this was one of sony's bigger franchises at the start of the gen.
Way to piss away a lot of goodwill going into next gen.

Then again, console communities never live long I assume the mp has been dead for years?

Correct on all counts.

graywolf323

SOCOM 4 was really hurt by coming out right when the Great PSN Outage happened but damn at the servers being shut down not even 3 years after it released :(

JJD

I'll never understand why Mag isn't on Plus instant game collection.

They could have sold a few DLCs and strengthened the community.

Sad for MAG. Fucking loved that game. I played the shit out of it for about 4 months straight. I went online only last week after a 2 and a half year leave of absence to see how it was going. Surprisingly, there were over 1,500 people playing the various modes. The DLC modes were dead, though, and the 128/256 modes only had about 100 people in each. The 32/64 player modes were jam packed, however.

I don't understand why Sony never put it up on PS+. It would re-generate huge interest in it. Oh well.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
haven't felt a tie that binds to SOCOM since my glory days of 2 but MAG? that's sad...

Also.. related note: The MAG servers are still up??!! I was under the impression they went down a while ago. May have to ring out the end of summer with some of the most intense fuck-awesome multiplayer gaming this GEN had to offer.

God i loved that game.

This is really sad news. I was planning on playing MAG nonstop while away at college because I can't bring my desktop for PlanetSide 2. And Socom Confrontation I was literally just thinking about picking up as I've never played a Socom before.

sleepykyo

Too bad. Confrontation was the ugliest game I've seen on the ps3, but extraction was pretty fun.

Had some great highs:
eg.
Soloing a clan extraction team (down to 6 on 1) on the stage (where two buildings have destructible bridge) by making a last stand with the hostages in the stairs and somehow winning (no regen in Confrontation, so every hp lost was nervewracking). Needless to say, the rest of rounds left me pretty butt hurt as our side got streamrolled hard to make up for it.

And some lows:
Breach on Quarantine. Always. Not sure if it is the mode, the map or the combination of the two but it was so awful that the guy who won still quit.

Sad for MAG. Fucking loved that game. I went online only last week after a 2 and a half year leave of absence to see how it was going. Surprisingly, there were over 1,500 people playing the various modes. The DLC modes were dead, though, and the 128/256 modes only had about 100 people in each. The 32/64 player modes were jam packed, however.

I don't understand why Sony never put it up on PS+. It would re-generate huge interest in it. Oh well.

The multiplayer is free for everyone up to rank 8. Don't think putting it on Plus would have helped all that much.

for the intelligent tactical multiplayer shooters.......you will be missed

pour-one-out.jpg

Omega

Banned
Socom? really? I thought this was one of sony's bigger franchises at the start of the gen.
Way to piss away a lot of goodwill going into next gen.

Then again, console communities never live long I assume the mp has been dead for years?

Sony shit all over SOCOM this gen.

It's the reason why I'm not getting a PS4.

Zee-Row

Banned
No it wasn't,it still wasn't like socom. it was closer than socom 4 though.

I couldn't see any difference between the gameplay styles. Socom 3 and 4 introduced the vehicles and huge maps , during that time people hated that and wanted a return to the old style.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I never got the hate for SOCOM Confrontation , it was basically a HD version of Socom 1 and 2.

for the first year and a half it was BROKEN fucking product

It was a paid $60 Beta by Slant Six, it took them for fucking ever to get everything right
It was a retail game work in progress

Then Slant Six moved on and did Capcom the same goddamn fucking favor with Operation Raccoon City
I still haven't opened that game, and I got it for $10 from Best Buy almost a year back lol
Hoping they fixed issues (I think they didn't)

Top Bottom