• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP SOCOM: ....Confrontation, SOCOM 4, MAG servers going down

PowderedToast

i have some good memories of confrontation. there really was nothing like it on consoles at the time. dem early days of ps3 with my buddies and our headsets, hehe

Omega

Banned
We'll still have H Hour's World Elite. It's a spiritual successor to the PS2 Socom games.

it's not a Sony game and it's slated to come to PC

Sony can go fuck themselves. Even a SOCOM 2 HD at this wouldn't get me to buy a PS4. the way they treated the series this gen was insulting.

Fezan

Sony still hasn't shutdown R1 or Motor storm servers neither warhawk one so looks like the community completely abandoned these games

So I'm just going to assume I will never be getting my SOCOM 2 HD that I've always wanted?

Man I have some fond memories of SOCOM 1 and 2, hell I even made some life long friends from those games. We used to call and txt each other every night to make sure the whole clan was logging in to do ladder matches or to practice or to just sit in the lobby and shoot the shit! I miss those days.

Damn good times had

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
;__;7

Say what you want, but a next gen MAG would be godly. PS3 MAG was soooo good.

I dream that the MAG IP is (somehow) revived next gen. Never before have I poured more hours into an online game as this, bloody devastating.

Raven 4 lyfe! (Well, till next Jan anyways...)

plainr_

I never got the hate for SOCOM Confrontation , it was basically a HD version of Socom 1 and 2.

It's a decent game on its own but no way in hell was it basically an HD version of S1/S2.

Gameplay was too slow. Encumbrance and the ability to sprint alone already sets it apart from the original Socom games. On top of that, we have maps designed primarily after deathmatches. Then all those little things like no jump climbing, lobbies with no text chat, no first person view, less maps, less weapons, etc...

Sethos

Banned
read up on ita little more. Had no idea it was coming to PlayStation 4. This actually sounds great! And I see no reason why they would be denied the rights to classic Socom maps...

Well, let's see if they get a sugar daddy first. The kickstarter was to create a tech demo they could show off to a publisher that would fund them ...

read up on ita little more. Had no idea it was coming to PlayStation 4. This actually sounds great! And I see no reason why they would be denied the rights to classic Socom maps...

I see no reason why Evo would be denied Smash tourney's but Nintendo tried to do it. Whether Sony has plans for the Socom IP or not, it's clearly worth money so there's no way they're letting any of it's assets go without some serious cash.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Yeah, they should just give MAG away on PS+, and all DLC.
Still kill it next year if you like, just let a doomed game go out in a blaze of glory.

Just give it away free to everyone

Make it a nice gesture

Seriously, I highly doubt the sales are still on the uptick

So I'm just going to assume I will never be getting my SOCOM 2 HD that I've always wanted?

Man I have some fond memories of SOCOM 1 and 2, hell I even made some life long friends from those games. We used to call and txt each other every night to make sure the whole clan was logging in to do ladder matches or to practice or to just sit in the lobby and shoot the shit! I miss those days.

Damn good times had

I was thinking about picking up a refurbished PS2 slim and these games. Anyone know if they're still played on Xlink?

Afrikan

Maaaaaaaaan fuck. :(

I wish SOE could give us a MAG mod using their Forgelight engine. I mean i'm excited for Planetside2..but i want a regular looking shooter and not so futuristic
to go along with Planetside 2 down the road.

Damn good times had

Davd Sears the Creative director of S0com 1 and 2 as well as one of the main artists from Socom two ( who designed Desert Glory, Fish Hook, Night Stalker etc) are designing a spiritual successor to Socom 2 called H Hour.

Their goal from their own mouth, is to bring back "SOCRACK"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KAf5n1uUfc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2lXQXGJ5qs ( From David Sears)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79T9r8rgmbg ( Designer of Popular S2 maps)

Korezo

Sony no different than EA, they just luckily make better games. Online passes + quick server shut downs, and EA got rid of passes. I bet GT6 will have them.

GodofWine

I kinda liked confrontation.

Mag too, but it needed more console power, it should have (somehow) waited for PS4...it kinda suffered some on the hardware.

nampad

MAG is the greatest FPS MP I have played :(
Don't own a working PS3 anymore but still sad to hear that the servers will go down.

MAG was something unique, and really deserved another iteration. Next gen MAG2 could've been amazing.

Damn, I had a lot of fun with that game.

R.I.P.

Layd Dly

Never got into SOCOM, but MAG was my most favorite Online Shooter I ever played extensively. If MAG was playable on a PC i think that it could live for a very long time.

therapist

i am disappoint :(

I actually liked MAG. Socom 4 was a turd, and SOCOM Confrontation never really captured the magic.. but man, poor Zipper :(

I thought Zipper went under shortly after unit 13 was released on vita?

Either way , shitty news.
Ofc the socom games were meh , but mag was good.

spectros4

Neo Member
Confrontation <3

Despite all the hate, I really liked it and enjoyed every minute I played of it, after they fixed it.
So many sandwiches were made in the early days of Confrontation.

I sure hope Warhawk's not next. Even though I sold my PS3 roughly 2 years ago, I sure miss playing those two games.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I put 100's of hours into Socom: Confrontation. It was almost a great game. That god damn run button and a couple other little things eventually killed it for me..

R.I.P.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Curses! I only played the Beta, but I still thought MAG was fun. And while I never got all that involved with Confrontation, I still remember moments with it. What a strange game.

I hate seeing Multiplayer servers go down. It hits hard.

SOCOM died the moment I brought home part 3 and was shot and killed, then run over by a Jeep and it counted that as a death too. 0-2 start just like that. Not to mention door sounds opening for no reason on Citadel ....

I'll always thank SOCOM 1 and 2 for being my start to online gaming... but boy did they all suck after that.

Omega

Banned
Confrontation <3

Despite all the hate, I really liked it and enjoyed every minute I played of it, after they fixed it.
So many sandwiches were made in the early days of Confrontation.

I sure hope Warhawk's not next. Even though I sold my PS3 roughly 2 years ago, I sure miss playing those two games.

they fixed it, and then like 2 months later released Cold Front which completely destroyed the game.

Tilly is the most broken weapon ever. VERA isn't that far behind it.

Sony wasted Zipper. They were a great studio last gen, but never really found their feet this gen because I imagine largely due to dumb management decisions filtering down for them to COD-ify SOCOM. MAG was a top online shooter IMO with a really great community back in the day, but it was sent out to die between Modern Warfare 2 and Bad Company 2 with next to no marketing, and Sony really should have moved with the times and made it F2P about 18 months ago. Instead, they shut down the developer :(

I think a MAG 2 with proper vehicles and improved mechanics would have been bloody awesome. It seems desperately unfair that Zipper's fate was tied to a game that underperformed due to the PSN downtime, and then another which was published on a console which had a very slow start.

Das-J

Law of the West
Would love to get a group together soon and play some MAG with you all.

Odd timing for all this as I was just digging through some of my sequel ideas a while back and found this stuff... would have been fun!

Air Strikes and Drops
Additional air strikes, scans, team-wide enemy hindrances and friendly enhancements give the commanding player of each team much more of a role in winning a match.
New Air Strikes
Retreat – the leader deploys a giant smoke screen and disables forward spawns while increasing the respawn rate at the rear spawn points.
Scorched Earth – eliminates all scavenge-able weapons, mines, and anything else deployed or dropped on the ground

Propaganda – triggers VO from certain locations in the level and causes enemy bleed-out rates to greatly increase (among other effects).
Light Helicopter Strike – Think the Little Birds from Blackhawk Down. These would be similar to strafing runs but add missiles/guns that could be player controlled via the CNI which would automatically open when called.
Improved Gas Bombardment – This strike is relatively weak compared to that of the attacker PL… we should consider increasing the gas radius or spreading the existing particles out so they affect a wider area.
Napalm Strike – Similar to the Strafing Run but with only one pass using fire to melt anyone in the initial LOF and deal persistent damage to anyone who comes in contact for a tunable period thereafter.
Tactical Nuke – Eliminates all players on the battlefield or within a single Platoon with tremendous force that is easily visible from neighboring platoons who could receive partial damage based on distance of strike for a tunable period.
Anti-personal / Vehicle mine deployment – Via an airstrike or UAV, this strike would be similar to a cluster bomb except that it’s bomblets would remain intact until an enemy player came into contact with them. Limited number of bomblets with a tunable radius persistent for a tunable amount of time.
New Air Drops
Additional air strikes, scans, team-wide enemy hindrances and friendly enhancements give the commanding player of each team much more of a role in winning a match.
Resupply drop – a temporary supply point that is parachuted in via transport planes.
Vehicle drop – a light vehicle that gets airlifted into a level by a helicopter (similar to what you see in Acquisition games) at a location the OIC or platoon leader chooses

Several other franchises have covered parts of this since then, but what we envisioned for the future of MAG was pretty grand. It's a shame we never got a shot to move the franchise forward...

This is one reason why a cloud infrastructure is beneficial.
It allows servers to be allocated based on demand. Hopefully, next gen with cloud will rid of these service shut downs.

Violater

RIP MAG

Sver for life!

Fucking easy mode
KuGsj.gif

I seriously think that MAG is the most underrated big budget game this generation. It was really great.

Agreed. Though not sure if it could have been considered "big budget" in the grand scheme of things.

Top Bottom