• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP SOCOM: ....Confrontation, SOCOM 4, MAG servers going down

It's a shame Sony fucked over Zipper like they did, SOCOM had so much potential it was ridiculous. All wasted. How do you even go from three of the best PS2 multiplayer games to some of the PS3's worst? Honestly.

MAG was great too. Looked like ass but the party system/gameplay was alright. Thought they axed those servers with the PS2 servers otherwise I'd still be playing once in awhile.

Hopefully a developer with balls take over the franchise & Sony gives them way more freedom than they did.

RIP

Bad direction was probably the cause. I never really played the earlier SOCOM games much. I really only started with Confrontation, which I liked a whole lot. Then MAG came out and I loved that also. I was going to get SOCOM 4, but it did not have the tactical feeling Confrontation had which really got me into the SOCOM series.

The problem with MAG, as stated, was that it did not do a good job in teaching people how to play and the fact that it did not release on PC hindered the game. I hope Sony brings back MAG on PC in some form.

It does not seem as though Sony wants the SOCOM franchise around or at least stick with its roots as a tactical shooter. They should start off fresh with the PS4 and make an improved Confrontation or SOCOM 2. With mics being included with the new console that means more communication which leads to a more tactical game.

While the overall objective was pretty straight forward there are a lot of little things in the game that you wouldn't understand without putting some time into the game. Like what kinds of strikes to use at what times and where on the map to use them, what all the different objects on the map did and what was most important to take down/keep up. There are a lot of intricacies to the game.

See the thing is dude, all of the stuff you mentioned are pretty much limited to commanders. To be a commander you had to be playing the game for quite a while anyway.

There was nothing that was so convoluted to a new player that they had to grasp.

Bad direction was probably the cause. I never really played the earlier SOCOM games much. I really only started with Confrontation, which I liked a whole lot. Then MAG came out and I loved that also. I was going to get SOCOM 4, but it did not have the tactical feeling Confrontation had which really got me into the SOCOM series.

It was. Anyone who was a regular on the forums at the time ran into a lot of "We were told" talk from the devs themselves, especially regarding upper leadership. They got caught up in trying to take on CoD, plain & simple. That's what happens when you take a hardcore franchise & try to dumb it down.

And amazing Move support.

The problem with MAG, as stated, was that it did not do a good job in teaching people how to play and the fact that it did not release on PC hindered the game. I hope Sony brings back MAG on PC in some form..

Releasing it on PC would've made no sense and would've been of no benefit to Sony. IT wouln't have been any benefit to the game or to the community either. The two communities would've had to have been divided since one would be playing it with the gamepad and the other with a Mouse/Keyboard combo.

Omega

Banned
Socom never has to die. I still play Socom 2 MP despite there being no servers, you just need to find alternatives

there comes a time where something new needs to come along. as much as I love SOCOM 2, I don't want to play it anymore.

It's the same reason I don't play ST. It's the best Street Fighter game by far but I don't want to play the same game forever.

I could have sworn I read a quote where someone replied on the PS blog it wasn't dead. Will try to find it

EDIT: Was Yosh

“It’s not done. We never definitely retire any franchise. It’s sometimes great to have a fresh look at the classics that we have. We are launching a new Sly Cooper game this year after so many years. Never say never. I feel sorry for people who are longtime SOCOM fans, and there are many people who still play SOCOM 1 and SOCOM 2, especially those seem to be their favorites.”

Doesn't sound set in stone but at least they addressed it

I care far more about them keeping MAG going then SOCOM.

SOCOM is just more of the same CoD crap from a third person perspective. MAG was something genuinely new and innovative. Yes, it was flawed, but the potential was huge.

woolley

See the thing is dude, all of the stuff you mentioned are pretty much limited to commanders. To be a commander you had to be playing the game for quite a while anyway.

There was nothing that was so convoluted to a new player that they had to grasp.

You were able to unlock the option of being a SL pretty early and they had the brunt of the work to do. And with being able to unlock it so early you had a bunch of people in the position that didn't know what they were doing or people that just didn't care to use the position correctly which would confuse newer players even more because they weren't being instructed correctly.

It didn't help that unless you were playing with a clan most people didn't have mics.

Omega

Banned
no it's not. It's not a good game at all

SOCOM 4 only came out in April 2011. I could see why they would reduce the number of servers but shutting them all down completely seems pretty ridiculous.

I don't know how accurate ******** is, but they have S4 selling 780k

for an indie game that's fantastic. For a former flagship title? yeah...Socom is dead. I got on a few months ago and that game is beyond dead. Confrontation has a bigger community but most of that is just glitchers

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Every Socom got ruined by glitchers

The community vacated after that

The hardcores stuck around, but most moved over to COD due to easy kills and arcade whack-a-mole

Socom took some skill and had a steep learning curve, you couldn't just get kills, you had to earn them

Socom for great it was for it's time on the PS2, got out shined and replaced with the COD/Battlefield/GRAW/Gears/KZ franchises
Everyone hoped Zipper could rekindle that Socom II magic, but Socom II was a beast onto itself
It became the measuring stick for the dev

Irate Drake

Neo Member
I guess now would be as good a time as any to start Mag and Socom 4.

I have an extra copy of mag also, we tried to give away on our podcast but none of our six listeners wanted it.

Anyone interested? Just pm me...

Also how are trophies on these two games my guess is super grindy.

I don't get the steep learning curve thing. It was fairly straightforward IMO. What did you think was so complex in the game's mechanics?

Here is something I don't understand: Why the hell don't more companies attempt the huge MP battles than MAG did? The only other recent FPS's that have had huge numbers of players fighting are MMOFPS like Planetside 2.

MAG was really one of a kind in that respect.

MAG actually took inspiration from the original PlanetSide. SOE and Zipper are really the only two developers in the genre(well now just SOE).

alejob

SOCOM is just more of the same CoD crap from a third person perspective. MAG was something genuinely new and innovative. Yes, it was flawed, but the potential was huge.

Oh no you didn't!

At least everyone knows you are wrong so I won't have to go G^ on you!

At least I've got a few more months of playing. I was expecting the worst when I read the thread title.

Fezan

Motorstorm 1 servers were shut down years ago and Pacific Rift was given the chop last year.

Loads of people are still playing MAG, though. Like I mentioned in my post, I was just playing it last week.

oh never knew about motor storm :(

Even then it means more people are playing resistance 1 and warhawk because servers are still kept alive then MAG or socom which is a shame because imo MAG was very underrated

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Also how are trophies on these two games my guess is super grindy.

You'll never get the MAG platinum, so forget about that already

Some Trophies were easier to be earned during launch and 1.0 reset, with 2.0 and 2.5 additions and overhaul some on those trophies became fucking harder to achieve
(Good luck finishing and killing 50 Commandos)

Some of the top tier commanders one will require you to work your ass off to reach the rank and hope the game chooses ya'

Socom 4 is doable
SP is OK, if you want Platinum, the hardest difficulty will be pure frustration
(At least 100+ deaths will happen, no matter what)
Brain Dead AI who gets themselves killed and you have to revive *if not game over*
Enemy AI with pin point accuracy and damage, if you stay out of cover for more than 1,5 seconds = Insta Death
You literally are fighting checkpoint to checkpoint, grinding them shits out until the game lets you advance

The MP portion isn't that bad, I have no clue how bad the community is now
When I went into to my first match as a nub, I was put in a match with level 70's galore, they destroyed me real quickly lol

Nursezero

So long MAG, it was fun. I'll remeber the nights my friends were over, three ps3s in one household all playing MAG till 0500 in the morning.

Oozer3993

I'm sad now :(. MAG is an overlooked gem. There's nothing quite like going for an objective with a squad full of experienced players working together. Some of the most fun I've had this generation. I hope some one tries to create a similar experience on the XBO and/or PS4.

demolitio

Socom 4 is not that bad, not AAA but better than alot of junk thats out there.

It was basically caught in-between mainstream and catering to their hardcore fans which is a dangerous game that very few manage to pull off and it ended up not capturing either really. I mean, I played the shit out of it, but most of my clan quit and it just didn't have the same magic that made SOCOM great. A good game but not the same.

Still, the teamwork and coordination from the SOCOM series is unrivaled and it's a damn shame to see a developer like Zipper gone when they were one of the few developers that FOCUSED on teamwork and communications along with great clan support. It's funny because when my SOCOM buddies play TLOU online now and hear someone else on the mic, they always comment on how rare it is to find people communicating to win so we always ask them if they played SOCOM and their answer is usually yes. So the remnants of the SOCOM community are out there in other games that have just an ounce of teamwork in them simply because we love winning by being team-players.

I'm actually having a hard time doing anything right now just because I'm thinking of what MAG 2 could have done on the PS4 and what Zipper could have done to revitalize the Vita too. It's sad to think that my favorite developer was shut down a while ago and now their games are nothing more than memories...

I just wish they will make MAG2 eventually. Even though Zipper is out of business, new devs can get old seat and follow the general framework Zipper started with.

Recon_NL

Banned
They are getting ready for:

photo-main.jpg

H-Hour: World's Elite kickstarter page

jimi_dini

They're killing the SOCOM 4 servers after less than 3 years. Wow, I guess that month-long PSN outage really put a dent in it.

Rather SOCOM 4 not being an actual SOCOM game put a dent in it.

They got plenty of sales by tricking PS2 SOCOM fans into buying the POS SOCOM:Constipation. Didn't work a second time, obviously.

Sony, where is my SOCOM HD collection? You released plenty of HD collections, but not SOCOM? Why?

tzare

i think that games that have their servers shut down should be patched to allow some kind of direct p2p gaming options for those few still interested in playing the game.

MAG in the early days was amazing, especially in Domination maps. 256 headless chickens running around, all trying to work out what the hell was going on, I hadn't seen anything like it on console mp before. I was fortunate at the time that a forum I frequented got behind the game in a big way, which at it's height resulted in people queuing up every night just to secure a place in the first squad (any stragglers were left out in the cold in a random squad). Everyone was on voice chat, and we all slipped into our roles with ease. With so many pairs of eyes covering all angles, we often made light work of taking down bunkers, securing and holding the burnoff towers, the cooling towers and finally the pumps. It got to the stage where we were coming out top squad so often, it wasn't uncommon to be turning down tens of friend requests a night asking for an invite to our squad.

It wasn't a looker, even on release. The gunplay was fairly rudimentary, and certain maps were pure hell for being red-lined back to spawn, but when everything was going your way, it was an immensely satisfying experience. I remember we were all so hyped for the DLC, but that was oddly the beginning of the end for our squad. It fractured the player base, and as is the way with console mp, people just moved on and never came back.

I personally put several hundreds of hours into the game, and may well add some more before the plug gets pulled. But this time, I'll be rolling out as a veteran, walking across the maps and just reminiscing. I will be there the day the servers go down, and I will remember the glorious victories, snatched from the brink of defeat... the failed advances of 30 minute Domination matches that went nowhere due to absent-minded squads... the fact that Elk Bay was practically Area 51 for the amount of times it actually ever turned up in map rotation. Most of all, I will lament the camaraderie I experienced with my dear old squad, for it was them who truly made the game what it was for me.

S.V.E.R. 4EVA.

3901448000_e31de44d71_o.jpg

Varth

Screw MAG haters. Game was so much better since it required at least 8-10 hours before even starting to figure out a strategy, let alone getting equipped properly. That's probably why so many ragequitted early in the games life.

Running toward an objective under friendly fire dodging bombs and praying was always amazing. Overall, one of the best online games this gen. A proper MAG 2 could have been easily a BF4 contender, seeing the bland, overhyped thing that the game is BF3 on consoles. I can only think of the potential for amazing clusterfucks with helos, tanks, powerboats and such.

/salutes

PS: once DAS-J mentioned the things they were going to do in a hypothetical MAG 2. If he's still around, seeing that it will probably remain a dream, wouldn't mind hearing from him on this again.

for the first year and a half it was BROKEN fucking product

It was a paid $60 Beta by Slant Six, it took them for fucking ever to get everything right
It was a retail game work in progress

Then Slant Six moved on and did Capcom the same goddamn fucking favor with Operation Raccoon City
I still haven't opened that game, and I got it for $10 from Best Buy almost a year back lol
Hoping they fixed issues (I think they didn't)

This. All of this.

Slant Six all but killed the SOCOM franchise when they took on Confrontation. Their track record suggests they are a group of hacks based out of Vancouver. Whether by their hand, or Sony's, Confrontation was shipped LONG before it was even close to being ready. It was a year of them trying to manage the backlash from the community, and pumping out one patch after another (with very little in the way of progress for the first six months). They did release some DLC, "Cold Front", which flopped hard and was only purchased by the most ardent players.

To their credit, they DID eventually get the game running properly, and ended up with the closest thing to an HD version of SOCOM 2 we're likely to get...but the game was one of the most unplayable things to be shipped this console gen, and it hurts even more because it was for one of Sony's (supposed) top tier franchises.

Speaking as an avid SOCOM 2 player back in the day with a dedicated clan, SOCOM really began to fall apart with SOCOM 3 because Zipper was already showing signs of losing interest with the proven formula. They tried to change far too much of it, and if SOCOM 4 is anything like what I've heard (I abstained), then it seems like they really didn't have any intention of bringing the franchise back to it's glory days.

So, yeah, Zipper had nothing to do with the unfortunate mess that was Confrontation because they had already shifted focus on to their next franchise (which I assume was MAG).

The minute I heard that Capcom had given Slant Six a shot at the Resident Evil series, I had to laugh so hard. That game shipped with a bevy of bugs as well, and people who had experience with Confrontation and were playing Operation Raccoon City noted how it felt like Slant Six had made the game with a modified version of the engine they used for Confrontation.

Out of all of the developers to have closed in the last 6-12 months, I'm shocked and appalled that Slant Six didn't go down in flames as well.

The closing of these servers is actually not the biggest loss, and the Confrontation and MAG servers have been going for roughly 6 years now. Hopefully someone out there has the good sense to do an HD remaster of SOCOM 2 with some dynamic game play tweaks that they tried (and failed) to introduce in Confrontation.

MAG in the early days was amazing, especially in Domination maps. 256 headless chickens running around, all trying to work out what the hell was going on, I hadn't seen anything like it on console mp before. I was fortunate at the time that a forum I frequented got behind the game in a big way, which at it's height resulted in people queuing up every night just to secure a place in the first squad (any stragglers were left out in the cold in a random squad). Everyone was on voice chat, and we all slipped into our roles with ease. With so many pairs of eyes covering all angles, we often made light work of taking down bunkers, securing and holding the burnoff towers, the cooling towers and finally the pumps. It got to the stage where we were coming out top squad so often, it wasn't uncommon to be turning down tens of friend requests a night asking for an invite to our squad.

It wasn't a looker, even on release. The gunplay was fairly rudimentary, and certain maps were pure hell for being red-lined back to spawn, but when everything was going your way, it was an immensely satisfying experience. I remember we were all so hyped for the DLC, but that was oddly the beginning of the end for our squad. It fractured the player base, and as is the way with console mp, people just moved on and never came back.

I personally put several hundreds of hours into the game, and may well add some more before the plug gets pulled. But this time, I'll be rolling out as a veteran, walking across the maps and just reminiscing. I will be there the day the servers go down, and I will remember the glorious victories, snatched from the brink of defeat... the failed advances of 30 minute Domination matches that went nowhere due to absent-minded squads... the fact that Elk Bay was practically Area 51 for the amount of times it actually ever turned up in map rotation. Most of all, I will lament the camaraderie I experienced with my dear old squad, for it was them who truly made the game what it was for me.

S.V.E.R. 4EVA.

3901448000_e31de44d71_o.jpg

Took the words right out of my mouth, and I didn't even play it at its peak. Such an incredible game.

S.V.E.R. 5EVR <3

plainr_

I hope you mean Socom 4 and not Socom as a whole, because this franchise pre-Confrontation was nothing even remotely like Call of Duty.

Bringing back the old formula of Socom would still be genuinely new and innovative even today.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Good riddance, I didn't even know those servers were still up, nor people still played those games.

I grabbecopy of MAG for $1, when Gamestop was trying to unload copies a few months back, and there was still quite a few people playing.

Honestly couldn't understand why as it really felt and looked low budget. When you have games like Battlefield, why play MAG?

Irate Drake

Neo Member
Anyone here wanna boost them trophies? lol

Im just getting into PS3 games (after jumping xbox ship) and both of these are on my shelf.

Anyone intersted or just wanting to play for fun (old times sake) add me.

I still play S4 online coop with friends using Move. Way too soon to shut off the servers. Disappointing.
That said, I pretty much did everything I could in the game. Didn't get into the competitive MP online, as we prefer battling bots. Maybe there will be a workaround so we can keep playing coop after the servers die?

Releasing it on PC would've made no sense and would've been of no benefit to Sony. IT wouln't have been any benefit to the game or to the community either. The two communities would've had to have been divided since one would be playing it with the gamepad and the other with a Mouse/Keyboard combo.

It would have been a benefit if they released it like a F2P game which would have boosted the game's popularity. Then if they had cross-play between PC and PS3 it would have been an even beigger success. The game had more to do with how players were positions on the map than gun skill so a mouse would not have a huge advantage over gamepad users. Though Move users would do a bit better against mouse players.

So now that a fee will be mandatory for online play on the PS4 we can expect that no games will be shut down from that point on, right guys?

Guys?

Top Bottom