• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP SOCOM: ....Confrontation, SOCOM 4, MAG servers going down

How is the current MAG population? I always wanted to try that game but never owned my own ps3 this gen, friends did not buy it so never saw it in person.

kurbaan

Banned
S.V.E.R. 4EVA.

3901448000_e31de44d71_o.jpg

SVER was cheap!

I really liked MAG as well.

Too bad, maybe I'll pick it up on the cheap so I can play it one more time. Or as many times as I can between now and January.

Apeopleman

H-Hour is the game all hardcore Socom 1+2 fans are putting their stock into,

Because

David Sears, the brain behind S1 and S2 is creating it as an indie game with his recently hit kickstarter or 200k +

BrokenBox

SOCOM 3 and Combined Assault are my two favorite SOCOM games.

I played a decent amount of S3. It just never felt finished. I was in the beta a few months before release and I can't remember them changing much to the game at all.

Man, the group of people I played with w're so hyped about S3 at the time, but then it came out and it didn't quite have a hook like the others.

Persona7

Banned
I played a decent amount of S3. It just never felt finished. I was in the beta a few months before release and I can't remember them changing much to the game at all.

Man, the group of people I played with w're so hyped about S3 at the time, but then it came out and it didn't quite have a hook like the others.

Interesting, the group I played with got hooked for several years. Even after the new consoles came out we would go back to the PS2 for SOCOM 3 and CA on a weekly or biweekly basis. We also played the original and 2 as well from time to time.

SOCOM died when S3 was released. I put so many hours into that series... :(

Yes, same goes for me. I never played a game as much as SOCOM II.
Demolition on Crossroads! My clan at the time was untouchable on this map.

THAT tension when I was the only survivor in a clan war and everyone from my clan could see me playing and was counting on me, my heart was beating in my throat! The memories... :(
The most addictive tactical teambased online multiplayer I've ever played. This game was something special.

But SC 3, Confrontation, SC 4 and MAG are all garbage.

Edit: I had to record gameplay footage of SOCOM II when I still had the chance... How foolish of me!

jj16802

MAG servers should be kept online for a couple more years.... that would make my day. This game was awesome!
R.I.P. Zipper

Vetted from Raven to Valor, was hoping to vet to all 3 factions before the game goes offline.
167289_191330247561339_935187_n.jpg

29013_590061287688231_1278487060_n.jpg

It bums me to no end about zipper. Socom 4 mp was so fucking good. That damn psn outage literally killed the studio.

I was a huge fan of graw and graw 2. Disappointed by future soldier. Socom 4 scratched that itch. I hope the series finds redemption somewhere down the line.

Das-J

Law of the West
Just for fun, here's something I always wanted to build for MAG:

Vertical Domination:
128 OR 256 Players (UN-like compound in city / destroyed factory)
Attackers in two OR four platoons must infiltrate an enemy compound floor by floor until they reach the roof:
• Attackers initially spawn on the compound's outskirts and defenders spawn on the second floor
• Each level of the building is secured by capturing two objectives
• Once a level is secured defender spawns are moved up one level
• Attacker access to defender spawns is blocked, but routes open up once both objectives are secured
• Defenders have (x) seconds to deactivate a pair of objectives before a new floor is opened
• Heavily damaged building offers multiple routes through and up to each level with plenty of sniping opportunities from the interior/exterior
• Attackers must destroy a AAA battery in the courtyard to use strategic strikes on the mortar/sensor batteries which reside on the building roof
• 256 Player variant would require multiple buildings with cross-over routes

Vertical-Domination_zps7686a783.jpg

SVER was cheap!

I think you mean 'victorious'? ;)

To be fair, it didn't take too long for folks to realise that Raven and Valor got the short end of the stick overall. Me and my squad were in on the game so early, talk of faction superiority didn't even exist at that point. I can't remember why we went with SVER, but it turned out to be a lucky choice, I guess.

Never got into MAG but I wish I had when a lot of people were playing it. Sucks that the game is now obsolete

Just like when the Halo 2 Xbox servers were shut down, you can expect to see a last-hurrah of player number increase on MAG, most likely peaking during January. For the price you can get a secondhand copy these days, it's worth the minimal entry fee to witness the demise of 256 player PS3 multiplayer firsthand.

JudgeB

Banned
I think you mean 'victorious'? ;)

To be fair, it didn't take too long for folks to realise that Raven and Valor got the short end of the stick overall. Me and my squad were in on the game so early, talk of faction superiority didn't even exist at that point. I can't remember why we went with SVER, but it turned out to be a lucky choice, I guess.

Same here, I don't quite remember WHY I chose it, but I did, and I guess I chose "right". Haha.

NIGHT-

Neither games were very good, but damn... This is what sucks about online gaming on consoles.... I can still go fire up Quake or Unreal and play online on PC

I still don't understand why SVER was so dominant in the game, especially early on.

Does anyone know the story behind that.

I think the map design was a part of it (SVER's were easier to defend), but they also seemed to get the majority of better players.

jj16802

I still don't understand why SVER was so dominant in the game, especially early on.

I think the map design was a part of it (SVER's were easier to defend), but they also seemed to get the majority of better players.

Their weapons are also OP.

Das-J

Law of the West
Their weapons are also OP.
I always love reading that cause it's certainly not the way they were set up. The differences between the weapons across all three factions were minimal at best.

For me the separation boiled down to two factors:
- Map Design
- Rich getting Richer with the Shadow War

The initial revs of both SVER Acquisition and Domination presented increased difficulty for attackers (this was not intended) which gave SVER an advantage in the Shadow War.

Once they started winning, many high tier players abandoned Raven and Valor, exacerbating the problem, which was punctuated by the gameplay advantages afforded by Shadow War bonuses.

panda21

I liked SOCOM 4. The campaign wasn't great towards the end but the classic SOCOM multiplayer was fun

I think it was just because their maps (before they did the whole thing of having factions defend other factions maps) were much easier to defend than the others, like ridiculously so. there was one were basically the only way to get to the bunker was up a single staircase and they could just sit there and headshot people everytime they crested it..

jj16802

I always love reading that cause it's certainly not the way they were set up. The differences between the weapons across all three factions were minimal at best.

- Map Design

The initial revs of both SVER Acquisition and Domination presented increased difficulty for attackers (this was not intended) which gave SVER an advantage in the Shadow War.

Once they started winning, many high tier players abandoned Raven and Valor, exacerbating the problem, which was punctuated by the gameplay advantages afforded by Shadow War bonuses.
My opinion is from personal experience of the game. Every time I pick up a SVER weapon from a fallen enemy, it takes almost 3 seconds to kill my target. Raven and Valor weapons take probably 5 or 6.

And yes, I agree with the maps factoring in on their victories as well.

If the Shadow War were to happen in real life, SVER would still have a slight advantage with ballistics since most of their weapons are chambered with 7.62×39mm rounds.

Lev

There's really no excuse, especially in 2013 that these shooters don't have third-party dedicated server support. Publishers are just too greedy and want to force their player base to buy their next FPS game.

J-Rzez

- Map Design

Wrong.... It's was SVERs music being OP, fueling desire for point streaks to hear that kick ass music. Admit it!

My opinion is from personal experience of the game. Every time I pick up a SVER weapon from a fallen enemy, it takes almost 3 seconds to kill my target. Raven and Valor weapons take probably 5 or 6.

And yes, I agree with the maps factoring in on their victories as well.

If the Shadow War were to happen in real life, SVER would still have a slight advantage with ballistics since most of their weapons are chambered with 7.62×39mm rounds.

Every MAG thread on the internet turns to "SVER was OP." Which is true.

The news of GT5 and the Resistance servers going offline made me think of this. Only one month left. :(

Anyone fancy a last hurrah for MAG sometime in January?

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
SOCOM died when S3 was released. I put so many hours into that series... :(

Other than the Huge maps in "S3", I thought it was argueably the best in the series. I literally put thousands of hours into it. Maps like Harvester, Devils Road, Citadel, Cruicible, Waterworks, Killng Fields, Boneyard...... My goodness what a game.

BPoole

Don't really care for any of those games. I cant imagine the player base for those games to be even close to be substantial

zychi

Banned
Other than the Huge maps in "S3", I thought it was argueably the best in the series. I literally put thousands of hours into it. Maps like Harvester, Devils Road, Citadel, Cruicible, Waterworks, Killng Fields, Boneyard...... My goodness what a game.
Vehicles and giant maps ruined the game for me. I wish there was some way to play socom 2 again. I've been craving it

CryptiK

Socom I understand MAG however should stay online and we should sure as hell get a sequel that shit would be amazing on PS4

Artex

Banned
In retrospect I had more fun with MAG than any other online game this past generation.

What's the general GAF consensus on that game?

Top Bottom