• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP SOCOM: ....Confrontation, SOCOM 4, MAG servers going down

MiKeD

Banned
Anyone who still plays Confrontation, drop me a PM. I still play it often with a couple of friends. It'd be nice to get some nice cheat-free 4v4's in there this last month.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Man, this thread just reminded me how disappointed I was with MAG and I was really looking forward to it up to release. Great concept, even carried out well to an extent but I just thought the core gunplay was very poor and not much fun, completely killed the game for me.

Still RIP Zipper, how I love Unit 13.

Totally hoping for a new multiplayer game that allows 256 players at the same time on a nextgen console. Instead we get copycats of COD.

NastyBook

In retrospect I had more fun with MAG than any other online game this past generation.

What's the general GAF consensus on that game?
Can't speak for GAF, but MAG was fun on a bun with a fully communicating squad of players that wanted to PTFO. Loved getting assistance and assisting the other squads on the opposite side of the map with airstrikes. I'm definitely down for games with GAF before the servers go down. I'm hoping everybody shows up to repopulate the game so I can get in some good Domination matches.

Jabba

Banned
I stopped playing MAG around the time the playerbase was fragmented between the haves and have nots and associated gameplay changes, but it was easily my favourite console shooter this gen. R(z)ipper game.

Guess I'll have to fire it up and say farewell at some stage.

I didn't play Mag, what happened?

Oozer3993

MAG was so much fun. I don't think I've ever encountered a game with as much spontaneous teamwork. I'll probably hop on for the last week or so.

BBboy20

Shit, thought it was already shut down. Guess retailers better get rid of them when the servers shutdown or there going to be some angry customers.

The news of GT5 and the Resistance servers going offline made me think of this. Only one month left. :(
WHAT!?

MAG was so much fun. I don't think I've ever encountered a game with as much spontaneous teamwork.

That is why I loved it so much, I was at the Launch event for it and got a free copy of the game, but would have gladly dropped £100 on it. I love playing KZ:SF right now, but the last online shooter I played was MAG and KZ seems so unimaginative and small compared to MAG.

Das-J

Law of the West
I could certainly get some MAG devs together to play with you all if you set a time in advance.

At the very least I'm in so LMK!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I didn't play Mag, what happened?

3 Factions, but one side (SVER) was overpowered (though that one side constantly screamed that they were "just better"). Eventually, most everyone went to that one side, and poof, population balance got out of whack, and then people just left.

1st Month or 2 were great, though. Planetside 2 has filled that role pretty well.

Oddly enough I have hardcore SOCOM friends still on Confrontation today. Might have to join them this next month, get my fix in before the long wait to H Hour

RIP Zipper

demolitio

I could certainly get some MAG devs together to play with you all if you set a time in advance.

At the very least I'm in so LMK!

That would be awesome. I miss Zipper and all the good times they gave me. They certainly changed gaming for me and while SOCOM 4 wasn't the best, I still wish redemption could have happened at least with a decent SOCOM Vita game since Unit 13 was awesome. :D

Just imagine MAG 2 on the PS4 though. MMMMMMmmmmmmm.

By the way, did any of your friends go to work on H-Hour? I'm sure they're all over the place now but I always wondered if anyone went there after the studio shut down...as long as they were some of the passionate SOCOM developers. :p

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I'd love to be in for one more last hurrah but 90% of my PS3 games are overseas in storage.

Hard to believe MAG is 4yrs old. I did play it almost every day the first few months and some of the matches with other GAF players were legendary. Most of us shifted to Bad Company 2 though when that released.

RIP MAG. Probably my favorite multiplayer game this gen.

Sony should've given this away for free or made the dlc free.

I'd love to be in for one more last hurrah but 90% of my PS3 games are overseas in storage.

Hard to believe MAG is 4yrs old. I did play it almost every day the first few months and some of the matches with other GAF players were legendary. Most of us shifted to Bad Company 2 though when that released.

RIP MAG. Probably my favorite multiplayer game this gen.

Sony should've given this away for free or made the dlc free.

Definitely on the second part. You can't even buy it anymore! The in-game link leads to the old store which is totally blank and the only MAG stuff on the new store are avatars. Makes sense I guess, not being able to buy something that will soon be unplayable, but there's no reason not to make it free at this stage.

rCIZZLE

First time that console servers being removed really made me sad. MAG is still my favorite FPS from last gen. Full 128/256 games were just mind blowing. MAG 2 looks incredibly unlikely but I'll preorder-on-announcement if it does hit next gen.

3 Factions, but one side (SVER) was overpowered (though that one side constantly screamed that they were "just better"). Eventually, most everyone went to that one side, and poof, population balance got out of whack, and then people just left.

1st Month or 2 were great, though. Planetside 2 has filled that role pretty well.

SVER was mostly overpowered due to that one damn unbalanced map. They released a patch in late 2010 that fixed it and other issues.

Gen X

I am going to guess Socom 4 is Socom Special Forces, the 3D enabled game that came out? Just bought it today and currently sitting through the slow patching process. 1st Patch - 442.95mb. :-(

Farewell MAG, I had some great times with you back in the day. I still think Sony made a mistake in not turning it into an F2P game. Surely they could have kept a small number of staff on at Zipper to change the business model and work on new content like costumes and weapons.

Persona7

Banned
I am sad to see the final Zipper games fade away.

I boot up SOCOM PS2 on X LINK KAI every now and then but I miss the original servers.

~~Hasan~~

to be honest. i don't like any of the developers games. i even recently tried unit 13 on vita. " i think they are the same developers no ?"
and that game was very bad. i couldn't play more than 20 minutes of it before i decided its better to delete it and keep the memory space for other games.

i hope these developers join bigger studios and get more experience as they work. but them as a team... their games wasn't that great Imo

Fred-87

Everyone go look up H-Hour! In development for PS4. Its basically Socom 1/2. From one of the orginal developers of socom (if i remember the creative director, but maybe im wrong)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE1pERlH2ls remember pre-alpha

And no i dont work there haha. I just want this game to succeed so i have players to play against when the game goes live :)

Ploid 3.0

I liked MAG, I just didn't like when groups would kick you from their party for the stupidest of reasons. Groups as in friends, "dude you just ran in front of me. Guys vote to kick him."

keuja

MAG :(
Best time I had online this gen I think. The sense of scale was just unparalleled...
I played as Raven, it was tough as shit but still fun.
Truely an ambitious and innovative game, Zipper you will be missed.

Gen X

Well after a couple of levels in SP with Socom 4 I decided to have a go online. Man, so many people were level >50, it really felt unbalanced to a n00b with no leveled up weapons. Seems like an alright game though, might squeeze in a few more mp matches or some co-op before it closes for good.

Yopis

I liked MAG, I just didn't like when groups would kick you from their party for the stupidest of reasons. Groups as in friends, "dude you just ran in front of me. Guys vote to kick him."

Socom was like that also dating back to PS2 days. Clans would force you off server if they had numbers.

Afrikan

run it all 4 downs... spread them out or something... Brees is not going to be able to throw in this close to the goal line.

unless he uses his feet...but he hasn't all game so...yeah it's a wrap if they try to pass it.

edit- oops sorry fellas.

will join MAG when I hook up the PS3...has there been any updates in the last year? I hate those HUGE HUGE downloads.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I spent a good 45 minutes a few weeks ago explaining the greatness that was MAG at it's zenith to a co-worker.

I'm not sure i've experienced a better online firefight than full 256 games in that world. And when you were on point and firing on all cylinders you felt like a godamned super soldier. Some of the videos you can find on youtube of people playing pure commando builds just going for structure destruction are still fucking amazing to watch. Very clearly shows you how to properly hide in plain sight. Guys running all over and sprinting towards the front lines to get back into the pew pew while some light armor spec'd demo man plants C4 on all your depots? I had never seen anything like it before or since.

MAG will be missed. Most definitely.

Oh yah: Valor for life! If you don't train in Alaska you aren't really training.

See thats what pisses me off about mp games. Sometimes i like to go back to my archives and play a game like Socom or whatever. Shutting down servers is pretty much saying "Thanks for the money, now f off!"

mtodavk

Man, I actually had lots of fun in MAG. I remember the beta tournament just before release. I spent hours a day with my buddies playing that game. Came close to winning that entertainment package, but not quite...

January 28 will be sad day for me and my socom clan, it really is far to soon for socom 4 and MAG to lose their online multiplayer. Even confrontation will be missed, this is one of those times I wish Sony would reverse its decision; thankfully we have H hour next year.

Top Bottom