• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP United Front Games

KRaZyAmmo

That's terrible. Sleeping Dogs was so good and memorable with Wei Shen and Pork buns. I hope they find jobs and find way to give us Wei Shen and pork buns again.

bbd23

I tried smash and grab this weekend...was not very good. seems they stopped selling it on steam already.

sucks that people are going to be out of a job. best of luck to them

KDC720

What a shame. I loved Sleeping Dogs, one of my favorites of that year. I hope everybody can land on their feet soon.

Serious question. Are publishers stupid? Anyone could look at Triad Wars and see it was not what anyone wanted. Why wouldn't you just greenlight Sleeping Dogs 2?

I'll be eating a pork bun in their honor.

Jimrpg

An incredibly talented team, with horrible upper management.

- they first had True Crime HK get cancelled and unfinished
- they invested serious time and money into Triad Wars
- they go and make the same mistake with Smash and Grab

It's not that Triad Wars and Smash and Grab are bad games, but the huge 'single player open world' audience just wanted SD 2. Heck a SD expansion could have brought in more dollars without overhauling the entire game.

MUnited83

For you.
Not entirely surprised considered how hard Smash and Grab bombed. Thing got the fastest free weekend I've ever seen and still didn't manage to get a decent userbase. A shame, they are really talented devs and they deserved better than this :(

Pudge

Sleeping Dogs was legitimately great. Modnation Racers was so damn cool. This is a horrible end to a great studio.

Slashlen

Really sucks, but not unexpected, they haven't been allowed to make good games in years. Not their fault, hopefully they land on their feet, far away from SE.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Glad we got Sleeping Dogs on both Plus and Gold. It's a legitimately underrated game. Probably the tightest gameplay in an open world game.

That team seemed to have tough times through most of their life.

Modnation Racers didn't catch on, Neither did LBP Karting. They were relegated to porting duties (TR: DE X1 and did some work on Halo: MCC apparently) and did some work on Disney Infinity (again, they seemed to be cursed with clunkers).

I'll be honest, I wasn't excited at the prospect of what Triad Wars would've been, because I just don't find all that much enjoyment for multiplayer experiences like that, but then again, Sleeping Dogs is a game that should've been completely mediocre after several different redesigns and changing hands from Vivendi(Activision) to Square-Enix.

People keep saying "Why didn't they just make Sleeping Dogs 2?" Because SE probably didn't see much of a point in it, they instead greenlit an MMO-version of it which was cancelled after enough time and resources were shoveled into it.

It's a shame for any studio to close down (even the bad ones), UFG definitely should've been given more of a chance to prove themselves.

Serious question. Are publishers stupid? Anyone could look at Triad Wars and see it was not what anyone wanted. Why wouldn't you just greenlight Sleeping Dogs 2?

I'll be eating a pork bun in their honor.

They made up some bullshit sales targets which led to them publicly devaluing some of their biggest games (Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution being the others). It was an utter farce then and the results today have only solidified its farcical nature. It's amounted to Tomb Raider 2 being made anyway and having a super awkward exclusivity period, the next Hitman getting made anyway and being rather successful in spite of it all, and now this utter bollocks with UF going under because no Sleeping Dogs 2,

Rellik

I have no doubt they'll all land on their feet. Other people will be happy to take them after Sleeping Dogs.

Sycoraxic98

Neo Member
Might also be somewhat related to the closure of Disney Infinity - they had just shipped Marvel Battlegrounds, and I assume they were banking on a contract for the next playset...plus Triad Wars...plus just everything else...

Such a talented team.

FelipeMGM

Hoping the devs can land on their feet soon. Vancouver has a good number of studios and they have proved to have a great team there, so Im sure they will find something.

Jimrpg

The best we can hope for is for the group to stay together and kick start Sleeping Dogs 2. The sad thing is that they'd need an awful lot of money to make that.

Also, didn't SE have ridiculous sales quotas for several of their games around this period due to trying to remain in the black as a result of FF XIV being a complete shitshow in the beginning and the money they were spending on Luminous Engine and the 8 billion incarnations of FF XV?

Grisby

Man, what a shame. GL to the team in their future jobs, :(

Just to echo everyone else, they should be damned proud of Sleepy Dawgs. Shame it didn't get a sequel.

This is awful news. Sleeping Dogs was fantastic.

They shouldn't have deviated and made crap-looking games afterwards, and just made Sleeping Dogs 2.

Top Bottom