• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP United Front Games

Sadist

I had porkbuns :(

Shame. I like Sleeping Dogs, one of the few open world games I actually enjoyed the past generation and it is so well made. Hope all the people of the studio will find a new job asap.

wrowa

First time I'm even hearing of Smash + Grab. It looks pretty well-made and fun, a shame it didn't find success. :(

Really sad seeing these middle-tier developers slowly evaporate. Even though they don't make diamonds, they have gems in the rough and seeing games by them still puts a smile on my face. Something about in between indie and AAA is just so nice, reminds me of the PS2 gen. Hope everyone who works there gets a job (they surely will).

Floody

What a shame Square never gave them another crack at a proper Sleeping Dogs sequel, one of my favorites games from last gen and had so much potential to be a mega hit, if given time.

Good luck to those affected.

Some Nobody

This post is actually a great example of how most consumers misunderstand modern AAA game development. Everything you pointed to as an example of budgetary excess on SE's part were incredibly small expenditures compared to the cost of developing the game. Removing all of them wouldn't have really moved the needle at all in terms of sales expectations.

When you read stuff like this it just makes it sound like AAA development costs what it does because it just does, and there really isn't a fix for it. I'd love for there to be some more deep-seated issues that people aren't correcting but honestly I just don't think there are. I'm still fairly sure the biggest expense is paying out salaries, and given what most devs are paid and how hard they work, I sure as hell don't agree with cutting those.

RibMan

What a shame...
Thank you, UFG, for creating ModNation Racers, I have soooo many great memories of playing that game.

I've never played Sleeping Dogs. Would you guys recommend it to someone who likes 3rd person action/adventures games (e.g. Uncharted, inFamous, Assassin's Creed), but isn't a fan of GTA?

100% yes. It's an open-world game that has style and a fantastic setting, and feels more like a 3rd-person action game in terms of the combat and story/characters. It's definitely not a GTA clone.

Disappointing news. If it weren't for the loading and connectivity issues I absolutely believe ModNation Racers would have become huge -- possibly turn into Sony's Mario Kart. Hopefully the members can land on their feet and stay in the industry.

You could kind of smell death on them the moment Smash+Grab was announced. Man that game looked hollow and desperate, just like Triad Wars before it.

Awful news either way. I guess this is where I give up hope of ever getting a sequel to Sleeping Dogs.

Not much to add other than my sympathies.

Sleeping Dogs was a special game that held loads of promise for even bigger and better things. It absolutely deserved a sequel, and it's sad we'll never get to see it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Very unfortunate news. They deserved a second chance with Sleeping Dogs, truly.

I mean, they had a WARP radio channel, for fucks sake.

Who owns the Sleeping Dogs IP? I was desperate for a sequel. These guys did so much great work for Sony, I wonder if Sony offered them a lifeline??

Square Enix own it, sadly.

What a shame Square never gave them another crack at a proper Sleeping Dogs sequel, one of my favorites games from last gen and had so much potential to be a mega hit, if given time.

Good luck to those affected.

Sleeping Dogs felt like a game with lots of potential and lots of room to grow, but most publishers aren't interested in that any more. They need a 3+ million seller out of the gate to consider something for a sequel. What a fucking waste. We probably wouldn't have Uncharted or Rainbow Six or Dishonored sequels if all publishers thought like that.

Koshiro

Absolute disaster. Sleeping Dogs is my favourite open world game. To see them go before making a second one is horrific. I was holding out hope for that all this time. Hope everyone lands on their feet.

Yukinari

Never played LBP Kart but Modnation Racers and Sleeping Dogs deserve respect even if Modnation had atrocious load times.

If Square own the Sleeping Dogs IP then maybe we will get a second game. Other franchises have been handed to different studios for sequels and it's worked.

I'd rather have someone else take a crack at it and fail, rather than just not have it, anyway.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'd rather have someone else take a crack at it and fail, rather than just not have it, anyway.

Eh, no thanks? I'd rather not see a good IP dragged through the mud.

either do it right and make it better than the first, or don't do it at all.

Basketball

Sleeping Dogs was very much a 7.5/10 game but still I hoped they would get another chance

We need more martial arts themed games

What a bummer.
Sleeping Dogs is a classic. The only game in this genre that managed to top Vice City imo.
I couldn't enjoy GTAV because I was alway thinking: "Who are these lame motherfuckers Why aren't I playing as Wei Shen? "

RIP, United Front, you will be missed.

Eh, no thanks? I'd rather not see a good IP dragged through the mud.

either do it right and make it better than the first, or don't do it at all.

You never know til you try though.

United Front might have made a sequel that was disappointing.

Jimrpg

Is it worth getting Sleeping Dogs Def Edition on PC if you already have Sleeping Dogs original and most of the DLC on PC? Is it much better graphically? I don't mind to pay the $5 when its discounted to play it again if its improved.

EDIT: After viewing a youtube video looks like there's not too much difference between the two.

Verder

sleeping dogs is a fucking masterpiece its so tragic that we aint ever going to see more amazing stories from that universe.

What a fucking travesty. notlikethis.gif

Best of luck to everyone at UFG.

Sleeping Dogs was probably the only (action) open-world game to grab my attention as much as GTA does. Loved it. Shame we will now most likely never see a deserved sequel.

:(

I've tweeted Shu Yoshida and Shawn Laydon to see if they can throw UFG a lifeline. Sony's never had a decent open-world crime sim a la GTA (
the Getaway games were crap
), so it seems like an obvious partnership to fund the Tokyo crime sim, Drowsy Cats. And there's history there, so hopefully Sony can help out? I realise I'm being foolishly optimistic.

What a shame! Sleeping Dogs was one of my favourite B-tier open world games that I hope the GTAs of the world steal some ideas from. I hope those affected can find work elsewhere.

Ironically, the fact you are calling it directly 'B-tier' explains a lot of why they are closing down now.

What a shame. I loved Modnation personally, and had a decent time playing LBP Karting too.

I guess they weren't getting much work lately, they hadn't seemed to make anything with Sony for years.

TuXx

Damn...

Will always be thankful for the work they did on Sleeping Dogs. Truly one of the best games in its genre.

Arex

Noooo :((((

just saw this on my facebook feed, all the best for those laid off..

Sigh.. we're never getting Sleeping dogs 2 I guess :(

Top Bottom