• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Rōnin | OT | Gaming Edo Age Forums

Would someone who hasn't played Team Ninja games, and didn't particularly like Sekiro (couldn't get the parry timing down and gave up in frustration), enjoy this?

I like action games like Elden Ring, Demons Souls, and Ghost of Tsushima.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Would someone who hasn't played Team Ninja games, and didn't particularly like Sekiro (couldn't get the parry timing down and gave up in frustration), enjoy this?

Parry window here is far more generous. You can also just block or evade.

Plus you can equip gear to overcome and skills.

Game has plenty of ways to tackle. Plus you can at anytime change it to easy mode.

Best game they’ve made for any kind of player to enjoy,

fart town usa

Gold Member

I can't remember the last time I played a Team Ninja game, I like Souls, never played GoT.

Combat is real forgiving so far. It requires thought and it can be difficult but there's a big focus on stealth to thin the heard. Fighting more than two enemies at once is bad news. Stealth is super quick though, I usually dislike stealth gameplay but it's fun in this.

I honestly wasn't sure when the game started up, it throws a lot of info at you and doesn't really let up, felt overwhelming. Things are coming together though, it's done a good job of easing you into combat once you're in the open world.

Well, I actually think this one emphasize on parry more than their previous title. For open world encounters there are numerous approaches like stealth, gadgets, weapon skills, etc. but the boss fights so far require good hang of parry. That said you can always change the lower difficulty where the parry window is much more lenient - don't get me wrong, the easy difficulty still poses considerable amount of challenges and you won't be steamrolling.

Team Ninja's combat is much faster compared to souls games and it requires more reaction than tactics. But it is very addictive and satisfying once you get a hang of it. To some extent, combat is all their major selling points and all other elements are just icing on the cake.

SJRB

Gold Member
Bro you get a Shiba dog that you can send on pilgrimages to shrines across the country. You can also see other players' dogs.

Another thing I noticed is you can sometimes see other players characters wandering around as Ronin. You can fight them to earn some XP or something.

Not sure what triggers all this though, or if it is just random.

I love this period of Japanese history. The "muh honour" people lost to the "muh money" people. Never bring a katana to a firefight.

They managed to save glorious Nihon from the perfidious English and black-hearted Americans. It could have all gone wrong if they hadn't played it smart.

this shit needs to stop

InYf1Uf.jpg
Well that's me not buying this then.

Arsic

Why is this a problem?

I get sweet baby Inc being an issue, and a company like insomniac just half assedly trying to do inclusion.

This is a Japanese developer though. One notorious for a franchise built on big tiddy ladies in bikinis on the beach.

Why is this a problem?

I get sweet baby Inc being an issue, and a company like insomniac just half assedly trying to do inclusion.

This is a Japanese developer though. One notorious for a franchise built on big tiddy ladies in bikinis on the beach.
I refuse to be lectured at by videogames.

fart town usa

Gold Member
This game is dope as F.

I did not expect to get this absorbed into the game. It's just fun to play, has such a great gameplay loop so far.

20 hours in and I'm still really loving it. Yes, the open world is very standard fare, but the combat, atmosphere, music, and characters make it a joy to play. Hell, even the visuals are appealing most of the time with excellent art direction.

Let me tell ya, there's no agenda pushing in this game whatsoever. I feel like this screen was added at the last minute after people got understandably upset over the PS direct where the director glorified Yoshida Shoin.

Arsic

Giant tip for all players!!!

You can 100% miss the glider. I didn’t realize after the first stronghold I had got some storehouse key. I won the co op session and proceeded with game.

Luck would have it I came back there to explore to try to 100% that area of the map thinking maybe a cat was in the area.

After where you fight the bandit boss there’s a path down back by his building that leads to the locked gate. The chest inside has the glider!!!

Thank God I went back lol.

I've been browsing the OT on the purple forums since there's a bit more activity in that thread. Seems to be getting a lot of positive responses over there, too.

Someone posted a video of their first fight with Matthew Perry. It's a pretty good showcase for just how badass the combat can be when playing skillfully:

Last edited:
You do you, but that's a weird fucking hill to die on. Games have been telling you to take a break every hour of play time for decades, but I bet you haven't been listening to that, have you?

It's easy to ignore this shit.
As a consumer all I have to express myself is my capital and so I shall

I’m just not sure what it’s lecturing to me about. What exactly is its agenda?
It's assuring me that I shouldn't get worked up by any no-no ideas (as defined by 2024 corporate culture) presented in the game because those belong in the moral wasteland known as 'the past'. And also the people involved in the game are diverse!!!

Presumably this hyper-violent game has a mature rating, which should imply that I'm safe with my own thoughts.

Last edited:

Arsic

It's assuring me that I shouldn't get worked up by any no-no ideas (as defined by 2024 corporate culture) presented in the game because those belong in the moral wasteland known as 'the past'. And also the people involved in the game are diverse!!!

Presumably this hyper-violent game has a mature rating, which should imply that I'm safe with my own thoughts.
200w.gif

SJRB

Gold Member
O shit there's branching storylines? I had no idea.

I'm 15 hours in and the game is still throwing news things at me at regular intervals. A lot of mechanics and systems in place, even though I'm not sure how significant they are. Like the bond level, what difference does it make?

Arsic

I'm 15 hours in and the game is still throwing news things at me at regular intervals. A lot of mechanics and systems in place, even though I'm not sure how significant they are. Like the bond level, what difference does it make?
Bond level I noticed unlocked a whole new fighting stance for that characters chosen weapon that I can now use.

Dope.

Arsic

Frame rate feels really juddery in the first big city. Not sure if its down to my LG Oled. Thought vrr would have smoothed it out.
On performance mode you’ll rarely get any judder.

Graphics and Ray tracing mode it’s far more apparent. Certain times Ray tracing mode can be 60fps too but too many hiccups to be worth it. Graphics is a locked 30 I think but doesn’t feel smooth.

Yup, there are some quests that have you siding with one faction or the other. You can also try for a different outcome by repeating certain quests at the Longhouse.

Frame rate feels really juddery in the first big city. Not sure if its down to my LG Oled. Thought vrr would have smoothed it out.
I've been playing graphics mode the entire time. The framerate is mostly a locked 30 except for some instances in the cities.

From what I can tell, the drops are very inconsistent and not repeatable. I feel like it might be related loading new assets or some weather effects like rain where the volume of lit raindrop particles are expensive to render.

benzy

On easy difficulty you don't need to rely on parrying like Sekiro, and can play it more like Ninja Gaiden or Ghost.

Also, give me more of these ps3 graphics.

Rise_of_the_Ronin_20240324000726.jpg

Rise_of_the_Ronin_20240323235611.jpg

On easy difficulty you don't need to rely on parrying like Sekiro, and can play it more like Ninja Gaiden or Ghost.

Also, give me more of these ps3 graphics.

Rise_of_the_Ronin_20240324000726.jpg

Rise_of_the_Ronin_20240323235611.jpg

Yeah, the game can look quite good at times. The atmosphere and art direction really do a lot of heavy lifting. Can't wait to double-dip for the eventual PC release so I can add some more effects (like better SSAO and shadows in towns) and reduce some of the shimmering on the grass/hair.

EDIT: Also, I would kill for a dynamic HUD. There's a lot of crap on the screen at all times that really distracts from the visuals in the game.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member

Cool little detail!

Oh yea, I do that all the time, lol.

It's a shame this OT is kind of dead. Lots of people are missing out on a game that should be applauded.

I think it's really cool that Team Ninja went all in on something they've never tackled before. So many things to talk about with this game. Good and bad, the important thing is just showcasing the game and chatting about it.

It's such a shame to see gamers write off quality games during launch week. This happens every freaking time. Doesn't make any sense to me. 😭

SJRB

Gold Member
Oh yea, I do that all the time, lol.

It's a shame this OT is kind of dead. Lots of people are missing out on a game that should be applauded.

I think it's really cool that Team Ninja went all in on something they've never tackled before. So many things to talk about with this game. Good and bad, the important thing is just showcasing the game and chatting about it.

It's such a shame to see gamers write off quality games during launch week. This happens every freaking time. Doesn't make any sense to me. 😭

Honestly, releasing this on the same day as Dragon's Dogma 2 was a disastrous decision. And they released the pc version of Horizon Forbidden West on the same day as well!

I seriously don't know what the hell Sony was thinking, or if they were thinking at all.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Honestly, releasing this on the same day as Dragon's Dogma 2 was a disastrous decision. And they released the pc version of Horizon Forbidden West on the same day as well!

I seriously don't know what the hell Sony was thinking, or if they were thinking at all.
I didn't even think of H:FW releasing same day. That was a bone headed decision for sure.

SJRB

Gold Member
Sometimes weapons or gear are "locked", what does that mean?

I can usually unlock them (doesn't seem to cost anything, or change anything other than the icon). What's the point of this?

Sometimes weapons or gear are "locked", what does that mean?

I can usually unlock them (doesn't seem to cost anything, or change anything other than the icon). What's the point of this?
It's good for inventory management since the game throws a ton of loot at you. When disassembling or selling stuff, you're prevented from disposing of locked items. I use it whenever I want to hold onto very specific weapon, armor, etc. and don't want to worry about accidentally getting rid of it when selling en masse.

SJRB

Gold Member
It's good for inventory management since the game throws a ton of loot at you. When disassembling or selling stuff, you're prevented from disposing of locked items. I use it whenever I want to hold onto very specific weapon, armor, etc. and don't want to worry about accidentally getting rid of it when selling en masse.

So does the game lock these items by default because they're rare so I don't sell them by accident? And I can lock items myself?

Pffff I thought they were locked because I was missing some stats or something. Lmao, I had no idea.

So does the game lock these items by default because they're rare so I don't sell them by accident? And I can lock items myself?

Pffff I thought they were locked because I was missing some stats or something. Lmao, I had no idea.
I believe the game will lock some items automatically depending on the rarity or uniqueness. Yeah, you should be able to click on an item using the touch pad and it'll bring up an options menu to lock/unlock things. At the beginning of the game, a lot of stuff is throwaway since you're constantly finding higher-tier equipment. Later, once you start to customize certain builds/loadouts, you might want to lock equipment that's crucial to the build.

Top Bottom