• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

Noobcraft

I beat it. It took me 36 hours, and I didn't 100% it or anything (I'm sure I missed some optional tombs) but I loved it. I'm torn on selling it, but with the price drops it's probably a good idea. I'm sure it will hit GWG at some point.

The last hour of the game puts the Uncharted series to shame. All the game mechanics coming together in such a cohesive and natural way was an awesome feeling.

Got it for Christmas, starting now. That intro is fucking intense.

Really wishing the Bone had a dedicated screenshot button like the DS4.

Edit: Question. Just went though the first storyline tomb. I frequently had a sound effect (or rather a musical instrument queue) come up in the middle of walking around, that kind of... adventurey-mysterious thing. Like what you'd get with a "gasp!" moment. Am I missing what causes these? Being near a collectible, maybe?

I finished it yesterday, and this is one of the best games in the genre afaic.

Not sure I'm going to 1000/1000 because I'm not that interested in Expedition mode, but the main game is great.

I would really like to see a bit more globetrotting for III, and (although it's apparently not happening) I'd like to see something else other than
Trinity
as the big bad.

So are there pointless perks I should watch out for?

Just got the eye for detail perk and I'm kind of regretting it.

Eye for Detail helps later on if you are going to collect all of the documents, and relics and such.

I wouldn't say any perk is outright useless, but one I wish I'd invested in earlier was the dodge counter. For some of the later enemies it would have been extremely helpful to have that perk path upgraded so that it's a kill on armored enemies when dodging.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Also, how does the lock on mechanic work? I unlocked that ages ago for the bow but cannot target two enemies let alone one. The description says to hold the reticle over an enemy for a moment while the drawstring is fully drawn.

Daffy Duck

Can anyone confirm this?

No idea, but in my time with it I noticed none (I started Xmas day).

Completed it today and I loved every second of it, I will go back and clear up some achievements (I've got a lot of the goofy ones, just s few combat ones to do and then the other modes) at some point as I love the game, might even buy the season pass, but I may wait for a sale on it.

The end became very wave heavy which was a little annoying but on the whole a marked improvement over the TR:2013.

Very much hope we get another game.

Had the annoying bug again at the end though which caused my save game to be corrupt and the game wouldn't load, so had to use an old save at the start of the level which was annoying.

Also, how does the lock on mechanic work? I unlocked that ages ago for the bow but cannot target two enemies let alone one. The description says to hold the reticle over an enemy for a moment while the drawstring is fully drawn.

Took me a bit to figure this out too. After you press the left trigger to draw the bow string back, you press in the thumbstick (I think it's the right one), and your view zooms in a bit more. In the zoomed in view, it'll lock on to your target with a red diamond icon and then you can release the shot.

That ability is almost game breaking as you level it up. Eventually getting 3 lock on shots per draw, and the lock ons aim for the head.

Zedox

I haven't read through this thread only because I haven't finished the story yet. God damn this game is good as hell. I feel sorry for those who are waiting if they already have an Xbox One. I'm enjoying the hell out of this one way more than the last one.

leng jai

I haven't read through this thread only because I haven't finished the story yet. God damn this game is good as hell. I feel sorry for those who are waiting if they already have an Xbox One. I'm enjoying the hell out of this one way more than the last one.

I regret buying it on Xbone now that they're releasing it on PC only a few months later. Unless they mess up the port it's going to be a vastly superior experience there even if they simply get it to 60fps and get rid of the input lag.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I haven't played it in a while and I was wondering if anyone knows whether the Misguided Intelligence bug had been patched? That's the only thing preventing 100% completion.

void666

Banned
Just finished the story. The story is whatever. But i loved the game.
They finally found the sweet spot between exploration, puzzles and cinematic experience.
It doesn't feel like a poor man's uncharted.
The game is beautiful. Some of the vistas are breathtaking. This place near the end where you have to climb something (spoiler!!), you will know when you get there. It's jaw dropping.

I just wish combat was entirely optional. What i love about the tombs is that there are no bad guys in there. Just atmosphere and some light puzzles.
Tombs could be more complex. It's a shame how some of them are so well crafted visually but the main puzzle is so simple. "That's it?" was often my reaction after completing a tomb.

Anyway, great game. I might double dip later on.

Oh, about the last konfrontation

When konstatin took my bow i thought "no problem bitch i don't need that stupid bow. I got my badass shotgu... huh...
That was stupid and unnecessary.

komarkaze

I'm having problems with my game crashing like the other posters. I deleted my local save and rebooted my system after. When I turn it back on and continue my game, it loads for a while, then it kicks me back to the dashboard. Any other suggestions on how to fix?

Have they made any comment about the odd way aiming works in this game? I don't think it's a problem with input lag or delay, I think it's a matter of how they handle acceleration and dead zone. I played the trial and I have a sealed copy of the game I bought today sitting here.. There wasn't much shooting in the trial but that end part with the two guys to shoot felt really bad.

I'm thinking about returning it and just waiting for PC. My pc won't look or run better than the xb1 version but it might play better.

Got all the achievements in Endurance mode say for the glitched "That's one way to do it." I liked survival modes, this one was fun as a small side mode. It would be interesting if they integrate warmth and hunger mechanics into the campaign of the next game, though i doubt they will.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
After I finished this game I decided to go back and see if my opinion had changed on the first game.

TR2013 is still a decent game, but on my second playthrough I found myself still annoyed many of the things about it.

For instance, it got old real fast how the developers felt the need to turn almost every single damn moment in the game into a set piece. You seriously couldn't climb a ladder without there being something that goes wrong. I know Uncharted games are (in?)famous for this, but good god enough already.

Also, I HATED and I mean HATED how the game basically became a third person shooter towards the end and how it was non-stop wave after wave of enemies.

The best part about Rise of the Tomb Raider is that they more or less did away with those complaints, except for the final act of the game when it was constant shooting.

lingpanda

Recently picked this up because Fallout 4 wasn't my cup of tea. So glad I did. Thoroughly enjoying the story and game play.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just got an Xbone for Xmas, and I have been looking to pick up some other games besides Ori and Halo 5.

Rise looks really cool. Sounds like it's totally worth picking up. I'll have to grab a copy soon.

After I finished this game I decided to go back and see if my opinion had changed on the first game.

TR2013 is still a decent game, but on my second playthrough I found myself still annoyed many of the things about it.

For instance, it got old real fast how the developers felt the need to turn almost every single damn moment in the game into a set piece. You seriously couldn't climb a ladder without there being something that goes wrong. I know Uncharted games are (in?)famous for this, but good god enough already.

Also, I HATED and I mean HATED how the game basically became a third person shooter towards the end and how it was non-stop wave after wave of enemies.

The best part about Rise of the Tomb Raider is that they more or less did away with those complaints, except for the final act of the game when it was constant shooting.

My biggest complaint with the first game was that the audio files tied to all the documents that you pick up take you away from the action by being locked behind stagnant text screens. I figured that this would be extremely easy to fix with a game developed from the ground up for next-gen hardware. But apparently not. It's annoying and means I don't slow down to listen to any of it.

I don't remember having many issues with the combat in Tomb Raider 2013, but in this game I feel like there are glaring problems. First of all, the enemy AI is very poor. Enemies just come running straight at you with nothing but a pistol. And they're supposed to be elite soldiers. Second of all, it wouldn't have hurt to add a hip fire mode when you're sprinting and scrambling about. Obviously don't make it accurate or even give the player a reticule, but including it would be have been nice. I'm sure the developers didn't want players just sprinting about and shooting, they want the player to try and stealth and use cover and crafted weapons, but not being able to shoot on the run feels out of place.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
My biggest complaint with the first game was that the audio files tied to all the documents that you pick up take you away from the action by being locked behind stagnant text screens. I figured that this would be extremely easy to fix with a game developed from the ground up for next-gen hardware. But apparently not. It's annoying and means I don't slow down to listen to any of it.
Well listening to it reveals another issue, which is that they are all "Dear Diary..." stuff that doesn't make any sense. There are so many where you're wondering why in their situation they stopped to write that shit down, or you get the voice recordings which are even stranger. Who just sits around making an audio log to leave sitting around? It almost made sense with the people stuck on an island, but now with just random soldiers and even main antagonists? MGS5 does the audio stuff waaay better.

The trend of audio logs and data files to be read is simply piss poor storytelling and laziness that's seen in gaming. If you can't tell the story visually then don't tell it

Bioshocker

I agree. That's what makes it a 8/10 instead of a 9/10 in my book. I loved the stealth parts, I enjoyed the exploring, the tombs, discovering caves, climbing up on a hill and enjoying the amazing view. The fighting, especially at the end, is the part I enjoyed the least. This is the part I feel Crystal Dynamics could have done much better.

SlickVic

Love that Rise feels decently lengthy for this type of game. Xbox timer says I've put in 20 hours so far which is going through the story (just cleared the part of
retrieving the Atlas and getting a call from Jonah after heading back to the valley
) and all the side quests minus 2 remaining tombs. I'm not very good at puzzles in games and have to admit a few of the tombs and Greek fire puzzles took me a bit of time to work out. So far nothing too frustrating though and was able to work them out without needing a guide.

Have a feeling I might wrap this up tomorrow but I'll be pleasantly surprised if I still got a good amount of story still left.

I'm really enjoying this game - it feels like as much of a leap over the 2013 Tomb Raider as Uncharted 2 was over the first Uncharted.

The ability/skills aspect and metroidvania influence is much greater in this game, making it far more interesting to go back and explore areas in more detail.

This is in fact one of my favourite games of the past couple of years. I'm very impressed with Crystal Dynamics' work here. I hope they make another.

void666

Banned
For the next TR i hope they allow us to play the game without killing anyone.
Every combat section should have at least one alternate path where you can avoid a gunfight entirely.

I'm finally out of the snow area, I LOVE the exploration and feel of this game. The forced combat sequences are the worst though. I don't mind combat when I'm given options to take out enemies in stealth but the instances where I'm thrusted into combat and fight the dreaded wave of enemies, the game turns into a chore

I will never get why developers do this, who actually enjoys that?

I'm finally out of the snow area, I LOVE the exploration and feel of this game. The forced combat sequences are the worst though. I don't mind combat when I'm given options to take out enemies in stealth but the instances where I'm thrusted into combat and fight the dreaded wave of enemies, the game turns into a chore

Im not sure how i feel about that yet considering a lot of the game is exploration and puzzles.

komarkaze

I overcame my save file issues by going into the Load Game screen and pressing RT and LT together to revert to a previous save. I am thoroughly enjoying my play through exploring the land and unlocking more options as I go. I echo the sentiments that the gunplay is the least fun element of the game. Everything else is aces.

This game is amazing. Picked it up in the recent sale after I finished my 100% Tomb Raider DE run.

I'm around 50% through the Soviet Installation and trying to pick up everything I can as I go through.

I'm really enjoying the story, collectables, enemies etc. Great job.

dLMN8R

I love this game but still chuckle at how absurd the Fast Travel system is. Especially toward the end of the game when you can fast travel out of some of the final areas.

I'm also pretty sure that you can fast travel to some locations that you can't manually navigate to due to crumbled transportation and the like, pretty jarring.

SlickVic

Finally finished up the game. Enjoyed it immensely but I have to admit the final few hours were not the strongest part of the game for me. Waves and waves of enemy encounters distracted a bit from what I enjoyed the most about the game up to that point, which was traversing the awesome world they created. I liked the combat in this game (still one of the few series where I love using a bow over traditional guns) especially the scenarios where you come in undetected to the enemies and the game allows you to choose your plan of attack. But the ending made me realize I enjoy this game more when that's just a part of the experience, and not the primary focus.
As soon as the helicopter showed up at the end, I all I could think was 'great, let's just get this over with'
I do understand they want to end the game with some tension to raise the stakes, but I wish there was a smarter way to do that than most games' idea of "let's just throw a bunch of enemies at the player".

Also can't say the story did a whole lot for me. I love Lara's character and IMO they do an excellent job writing for her and making me see the world through her eyes, but I can't say there was anyone else in the story that stood out to me. This was a problem with the 2013 game for me as well, and I hope when they make their next game it's something they do a better job at addressing.

But I also don't want to understate that I thought the game as a whole was fantastic. For the most part, the game did do a good job of balancing combat with exploration. The tombs to raid may not be terribly long, but I did like the puzzles the game presented. I also love the world they crafted and this is easily one of the most beautiful games of 2015.

Finally finished up the game. Enjoyed it immensely but I have to admit the final few hours were not the strongest part of the game for me. Waves and waves of enemy encounters distracted a bit from what I enjoyed the most about the game up to that point, which was traversing the awesome world they created. I liked the combat in this game (still one of the few series where I love using a bow over traditional guns) especially the scenarios where you come in undetected to the enemies and the game allows you to choose your plan of attack. But the ending made me realize I enjoy this game more when that's just a part of the experience, and not the primary focus.
As soon as the helicopter showed up at the end, I all I could think was 'great, let's just get this over with'
I do understand they want to end the game with some tension to raise the stakes, but I wish there was a smarter way to do that than most games' idea of "let's just throw a bunch of enemies at the player".

Also can't say the story did a whole lot for me. I love Lara's character and IMO they do an excellent job writing for her and making me see the world through her eyes, but I can't say there was anyone else in the story that stood out to me. This was a problem with the 2013 game for me as well, and I hope when they make their next game it's something they do a better job at addressing.

But I also don't want to understate that I thought the game as a whole was fantastic. For the most part, the game did do a good job of balancing combat with exploration. The tombs to raid may not be terribly long, but I did like the puzzles the game presented. I also love the world they crafted and this is easily one of the most beautiful games of 2015.

When I reach the end of a game I almost expect the developers to succumb to the constant wave of enemies bullshit. Now I just switch the game to easy when it happens and just plow through instead of dealing with the headache, best decision I made

I don't mind so much because I think the bow is a really fun weapon to use, I barely used the other weapons in my playthrough. Also the forced combat sections are few and far between compared to 2013, there's more padding at least with more side content.

Finished out the last achievement that was previously thought to be glitched, equpiing the deep freeze card is necessary in unlocking "One Way to do it." I'm now looking forward to the story based DLC, hope it integrates into the main game and you carry over all upgrades. I'm curious if the third piece of content will be story as well, it kind of sounds like a horde mode, which I really don't want.
Explore a new tomb that houses an ancient terror in Baba Yaga: The Temple of the Witch, and combat waves of infected predators in Cold Darkness Awakened.

Nowise10

I loveeee the game and finished it last night, but these collectibles are really putting a damper on my experience lol. Like 3 of the provinces, I am missing one document or relic, and it is completely unmarked on my map, so I either just run around the 2 mile areas searching for the potential shimmer, or go watch a 30 minute video and compare my map with the videos for an hour.

Why would they do this, I am so close to 100% :(

TheYanger

I loveeee the game and finished it last night, but these collectibles are really putting a damper on my experience lol. Like 3 of the provinces, I am missing one document or relic, and it is completely unmarked on my map, so I either just run around the 2 mile areas searching for the potential shimmer, or go watch a 30 minute video and compare my map with the videos for an hour.

Why would they do this, I am so close to 100% :(

If you're missing a document or relic then you're missing the map as well, which show all of those on the map. It's possible that they're in a tomb as well, think one of my last of each were in one of the tombs in the last hub and that part doesn't show on the map from above but counts as the city still.

When I reach the end of a game I almost expect the developers to succumb to the constant wave of enemies bullshit. Now I just switch the game to easy when it happens and just plow through instead of dealing with the headache, best decision I made

Fortunately if you've been engaging with the special arrow systems in this game, it doesn't matter what difficulty you're on - shit's a joke anyway.

Not saying I totally forgive it, but I didn't hate the combat since there's so little of it (as long as you play like a predator) - really only at the end and a FEW points prior which is a nice change of pace. Crafting bombs out of cans and using poison and explosive arrows make any amount of enemies a complete joke.

SRTtoZ

I'm really enjoying the gameplay like I did with 2013's reboot but some of the dialog is still just as bad. Also, too much shit happens to Lara. She comes off as a REALLY bad "Tomb Raider" who trips every trap and breaks everything she touches. I dont know, I wish they toned that down a bit since they are going for the serious angle.

TheYanger

I'm really enjoying the gameplay like I did with 2013's reboot but some of the dialog is still just as bad. Also, too much shit happens to Lara. She comes off as a REALLY bad "Tomb Raider" who trips every trap and breaks everything she touches. I dont know, I wish they toned that down a bit since they are going for the serious angle.

You can avoid traps in normal gameplay completely, you don't have to trip them (except the first of each type during the tutorial). Idk I thought she was pretty badass and capable. Breaking out of the prison and handling the facility and stuff was pretty awesome.

So, dumb question incoming:

I have downloaded the demo and from my understanding the Xbox One downloads the entire game but you can actually play a small portion.
Now, I bought the physical copy of the game and was wondering if I have to delete the digital version and install the physical copy or I can keep the digital one and the physical will recognize it (without having to install again)? Don't know if I'm too coherent here...

Teggy

Well they claim they have finally figured out the Misguided Intelligence bug. Fix will be in patch 3 whenever that comes out.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Finally put some time into this.

Fanastic so far. Loved the last one, and this improves on it in almost every respect.

Except

Holy crap is the aiming/gunplay awful. I can't hit anything... I don't remember it being this bad in the previous game. Are there options I can tweak to improve it? There seems to be zero auto aim...

Finally put some time into this.

Fanastic so far. Loved the last one, and this improves on it in almost every respect.

Except

Holy crap is the aiming/gunplay awful. I can't hit anything... I don't remember it being this bad in the previous game. Are there options I can tweak to improve it? There seems to be zero auto aim...
There's zero auto aim if you're playing on Survivor, or snap to aim that is. I thought the aiming even without that was fine though.

Top Bottom