• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise Of The Tomb Raider sold over 430k on Steam

I bought at launch on xbox one and finished the game within a week and traded it, one of my top 5 games of 2015 - loved it.

Also double dipped on PC, just cuz I bought a new nvidia 970 a few weeks ago to prep for Oculus VR and it came free with it. I'll replay it sometime this year, its definitely worth it.

No clue, anyone who bought a gtx 960 or higher is eligible (regardless of when they purchased). Looking at steam hardware survey gtx 960 and 970 are in the top 3 video cards for those surveyed.

Are you seriously saying that EVERY single owner of a 970 or higher(960 wasn't part of the promotion) can get a TR code?

Are you seriously saying that EVERY single owner of a 970 or higher(960 wasn't part of the promotion) can get a TR code?

Sorry about that, yes 970 or higher. As far as I can tell, I bought my 970 on black friday in 2014 and I was able to get a TR code for free. Many others reported the same. It also worked for Batman Arkham Asylum and Rainbow Six Siege Season Pass bundles. In total I got FarCry 4, Batman, Tomb Raider and R6 Siege Season Pass for free. (Some of these might be restricted to Asus, I'm not 100% certain anymore). Try for yourself dude!

Sorry about that, yes 970 or higher. As far as I can tell, I bought my 970 on black friday in 2014 and I was able to get a TR code for free. Many others reported the same. It also worked for Batman Arkham Asylum and Rainbow Six Siege Season Pass bundles. In total I got FarCry 4, Batman, Tomb Raider and R6 Siege Season Pass for free. (Some of these might be restricted to Asus, I'm not 100% certain anymore). Try for yourself dude!

How can you even get those codes without contacting your vendor?

Koh

I'll be one as soon as it's less than 20 bucks. I'm never in a hurry to play a late port of a game, regardless of quality.

MUnited83

For you.
No clue, anyone who bought a gtx 960 or higher is eligible (regardless of when they purchased). Looking at steam hardware survey gtx 960 and 970 are in the top 3 video cards for those surveyed.

Wrong on both accounts: It's a GTX 970 or higher, and no, it isn't regardless of when they purchased, like, at all: you may be lucky enough to get a key from the place where you got your card from, or taking advantage of a loophole that was available for any semi-recent card and that was only for Asus cards.

Ah shoot it looks like they've recently blocked it, sorry to get your hopes up. There was a GAF post or thread about this working for the last month. Sorry mate

Chiggs

Gold Member
Purchased it for full price and have been enjoying it over the last week. Will probably finish up this weekend. Great game.

Tizoc

Good news! The more sales the better
Game is underwhelming tho
The one good thing about it is the bow and arrow
Everything else is either poorly thought out, uninspired or leaving much to ve desired
Cant fault people for wanting their uncharted fix tho

Sanctuary

The unfortunately very low quality of the writing in this game doesn't deserve this amount of sales.

Pretty graphics though. It's a nice tech demo I guess?

Welcome to most AAA games since 2005?

Story and graphics must be all that matter to you but some of us care more about gameplay.

Outside of combat, it's mostly just hold up and hit A, while occasionally hitting X. So yeah, I mean if that's the "gameplay" that you find so good, then more power to you. I don't dislike the game, but it really is one of those games that has to be taken as a whole, where any individual piece just fails hard under scrutiny.

Come on now. The combat in ROTTR is very comparable to TLoU, and leagues better than last gen's Uncharteds.

Uncharted (specifically 2) is better than TR, but it has nothing to do with the combat. The combat is the worst part of any Uncharted game.

And uh, outside of combat you do platforming that's even more brain dead than in TR, and watch non stop Hollywood set pieces. The only thing that the Uncharted series did better is have interesting characters that you give a damn about. Nothing else really.

Come on now. The combat in ROTTR is very comparable to TLoU, and leagues better than last gen's Uncharteds.

Uncharted (specifically 2) is better than TR, but it has nothing to do with the combat. The combat is the worst part of any Uncharted game.

The combat in ROTTR is piss poor compared to TLOU. The feel and sound of guns in TLOU, not to mention their relevance is miles ahead of the bland, firecracker guns in TR. There's just no comparing TLOU to ROTTR. I almost felt like skipping some of the latter parts.

Banned
I expected this to bomb really hard given the release date and lack of fanfare. It did a lot better than I expected.

(Also, it's not "over 430k", it's "roughly 420k". Not that it changes the picture)

Good games will always shine through the darkness.

Tizoc

The combat in ROTTR is piss poor compared to TLOU. The feel and sound of guns in TLOU, not to mention their relevance is miles ahead of the bland, firecracker guns in TR. There's just no comparing TLOU to ROTTR. I almost felt like skipping some of the latter parts.
Guns?
I rarely used guns in rise of toom braider
Im sick and tired of firing guns ins these 3rd person shooters
To rise's credit the bow and arrow is awesome and should be ur main weapon such that the other weapons are superflous
Now does tlou let u fling arrows at people's faces? If not then that is one thing that elevates rise over last of us

Lingitiz

The shooting just feels completely subpar compared to TLOU or Uncharted. The climbing mechanics, and the hand to hand combat fares a lot better though.

Considering both games is like 80% shooting, I would pick UC on that front every time.

I just bought Rise, and while not a genre changing game, it's consistent at being just a good game so I would say it deserves it's number on steam

What exactly about the shooting is better in UC though? It was serviceable for its time but coming it back to it now its easily the weakest part of all three games. Enemies don't react to gunfire very much, enemy types are huge bullet sponges that run blindly through entire clips, the cover mechanic is super clunky. That's not even getting into the horrible Avatar dudes in UC2 which are horrible non-reacting bullet sponges too.

Now I don't think either TR reboot games have especially great gunplay, but it's definitely better than any of the three Uncharted games in that specific regard and adequately iterates on that formula in decent ways. Encounter design is definitely debatable (Tomb Raider being uninspired and far too easy, Uncharted having frustrating design in a lot of areas where offscreen enemies spawn and one shot you, etc.)

Steam sales threads are always great fun. Not a single PC game sells well, we should all know that by now, it's just NVIDIA giving hundreds of thousands of games to everyone or hundreds of thousands of cd keys being sold illegally without the developer getting paid. Why do they even bother with PC gaming anymore.

Poster#1

Can you please put a link to R6 Siege season pass and Tomb Raider promo?

Spinifex

Steam sales threads are always great fun. Not a single PC game sells well, we should all know that by now, it's just NVIDIA giving hundreds of thousands of games to everyone or hundreds of thousands of cd keys being sold illegally without the developer getting paid. Why do they even bother with PC gaming anymore.

Don't forget the prankster uncles, who make up at least 20% of the steam userbase.

scitek

The shooting just feels completely subpar compared to TLOU or Uncharted. The climbing mechanics, and the hand to hand combat fares a lot better though.

Considering both games is like 80% shooting, I would pick UC on that front every time.

I just bought Rise, and while not a genre changing game, it's consistent at being just a good game so I would say it deserves it's number on steam

You think the hand-to-hand combat is better in Tomb Raider than The Last of Us? Lordy

Smash88

Banned
I can't believe anyone thinks they actually sold this game worth a damn, as 99% all sold through the Nvidia bundle (which is free and totally doesn't add to profits) and key sellers where they buy low and sell high. I wish more people would get their facts straight. Same thing with XCOM 2 and most any other PC game for that matter.

Banned
This isnt That good a game at all though

Any linear, third person action game with puzzle solving, traversal and a good story are my bread a butter. Metroid, Zelda, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, God of War, etc.

I liked TR2013 and just want more puzzle solving/tombs and this game apparently has that. Looking forward to playing it.

Tizoc

Any linear, third person action game with puzzle solving, traversal and a good story are my bread a butter. Metroid, Zelda, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, God of War, etc.

I liked TR2013 and just want more puzzle solving/tombs and this game apparently has that. Looking forward to playing it.
Puszles and tombs left much to be desired though as is they are nothing more than a distraction form the main game
U want good puzzles and tombs with linear progression, play the 2000s tr games. They easily overshadow the current reboot

NeoRaider

I can't believe anyone thinks they actually sold this game worth a damn, as 99% all sold through the Nvidia bundle (which is free and totally doesn't add to profits) and key sellers where they buy low and sell high. I wish more people would get their facts straight. Same thing with XCOM 2 and most any other PC game for that matter.

99%? Lol

deadman69

living up to your tag.

Really? You don't think they get money from nvidia to bundle the game?

So in the end it's sold nearly as much as a single consoles exclusive on 2 platforms. Doing well I think. I love the game and will hold a special place for it due to being one of the only games I've got the Mrs to play with me. Roll on the third installment

You think the hand-to-hand combat is better in Tomb Raider than The Last of Us? Lordy

Sorry, I wasn't really reading over what I posted.

The hand to hand combat was only better than the UC games at the time. You can actually actively dodge, unlike in UC1,2, or 3.

What exactly about the shooting is better in UC though? It was serviceable for its time but coming it back to it now its easily the weakest part of all three games. Enemies don't react to gunfire very much, enemy types are huge bullet sponges that run blindly through entire clips, the cover mechanic is super clunky. That's not even getting into the horrible Avatar dudes in UC2 which are horrible non-reacting bullet sponges too.

Now I don't think either TR reboot games have especially great gunplay, but it's definitely better than any of the three Uncharted games in that specific regard and adequately iterates on that formula in decent ways. Encounter design is definitely debatable (Tomb Raider being uninspired and far too easy, Uncharted having frustrating design in a lot of areas where offscreen enemies spawn and one shot you, etc.)

All those criticisms you can lobby at Rise and TR13 also. The shooting though just feels very floaty, and the character often drifts when shooting in Tomb Raider. Yeah, Uncharted has some shooting problems, but it felt tight enough that I was always getting the shots I want.

KR_remix

People can still take advantage of the deals right now regardless, the point I was trying to make is that black friday/christmas/boxing day is a very popular time for pc upgrades. Then on Jan 07 2016 this free bundle went active and everyone who bought a gtx card is eligible. In many cases vendors are aware of this in advanced and e-mail you the code when the promotion goes live (this happened to me during FarCry 4). Secondly, you do not have to go through your vendor to get the game for free, you just need to own a gtx 970 or above (you don't even need a receipt or proof of purchase). You don't even need to have purchased the 970 within a certain date. The gtx 960 and 970 are the most popular cards on steam atm (at least according to those surveyed).

The bundle was only meant for cards bought from Jan 7 through part of February.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/
The Steam Hardware Survey for January puts the change in owners of the GTX 970 from November through January at 0.28% change, the GTX 980 at a -0.01% change
basically no change
, the GTX 980ti at 0.66% with no prior data about card ownership, and finally the GTX 980m at a 0.02% change in owners. How many of those cards do you think were bought starting from January 7th when the promotion began? You put a big emphasis on people buying cards before that during the holiday season.

As for people getting codes for old cards.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=193308696&postcount=858
It was an Asia Pacific region promo, looking at Steamspy's geography data adding up all the countries showing up that might have been a part of this
China, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore
it is about 16.36-16.82%
steamspy is showing slightly different player vs owners numbers
or 19.32-19.9% if you include Australia.
not sure if it was included in this bonus promo, but I doubt it
How many of those people do you think are people who own eligible cards, and knew about/acted on the bonus promo?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=193308851&postcount=859
If it wasn't an Asus card many people who did redeem supposedly had to email a photo of the card and receipt.

There was a loophole for people outside of eligle countries, that as mentioned earlier was closed.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=193341723&postcount=935
You had to select a qualifying country from the list and it didn't work for everyone, and was also for only Asus cards as they were the one doing the website serial number redemption. How many people do you honestly think had qualifying Asus cards and were able to get the loophole to work in the time it was up?

Lastly regarding how much NVIDIA is paying... you are making an argument they are not free. You are missing the point, I feel those numbers are inflated and trying to bring some possible info/context into the story behind the data. Who knows, maybe its only responsible for 10,000 copies of that figure? Maybe the game did sell a bazillion copies for $70 a pop. Some people here clearly do not give a fuck about details behind those figures cause a sale is a sale emirightorwut! Okay cool! Solitaire is GOAT!

The deal was enough for SE to agree to it, you can't act as if it is a paltry amount. Looking at the data we have it probably isn't even a significant amount of the game owners.

My comparison was to the 2013 TR. Currently downloading Rise. Shooting in TLOU is much better than Uncharted if we're bringing up both. The weight and sound design in TLOU makes for much more impact combat, whereas in Uncharted every gun feels like a weak pistol.

Why give yourself that 1% for error? Go full force with 100%. Even you don't believe in your post.

Parsnip

It's amusing that even with a post as blatant as this, some people are still going to fall for it.

Top Bottom