• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

mcrommert

Banned
lol, just fond this from one of CD's level designers:

IYg9iNx.png

Right afterwards he said he was signing off for a while...don't know from what he says if he is against or not...could just be messing with people sending hate his way

I wonder the types of figures we are talking about to secure this kind of deal between SE and MS.

How much do people think they paid? $75 million? The only figure I can recall in these types of exclusive deals is $50 million but I can't remember if that was just for exclusive DLC for a major franchise.

Kssio_Aug

What a roller coaster!! LOL
Intrigued to know how is this exclusivity working now. If MS is not publishing, then I guess it may be temporary really (besides that tweet that counter the "exclusive for holidays" argument).

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Pretty much this. All and all, Forza Horizon has been created as a direct competitor to DC. They bombarded with words like social integration, clubs and the 'best social racing game ever'. I do think that competition is good but copying a game or in this case, buying exclusivity deals to have a direct competitor to Uncharted is lame and should not be applauded.

bml.gif

Horizon came out in 2012

quest

Not Banned from OT
I own both systems so these things don't effect me, but I don't understand how this makes business sense for MS or SE. Tomb Raider is not a system seller, is it? Nor is it a direct competitor to Uncharted which is Sony's flagship title (ala Halo for Xbox). Strange move.

They are direct competitors both games are in the same genre. It makes total sense for SE they get cash up front. They avoid going head to head with UC4 on the PS4 and can sell the game to PS4 owners during the less crowded winter.

shandy706

Well, based on the wording they are using, absolutely yes. 'Clubs', 'social integration', 'social racing game'. Oh And I meant Forza (Horizon) 2 of course!

FTFY

Those all existed in 2012 with the first game...it isn't new.

Might want to stop while you're ahead behind.

I find it astonishing how mad people are about this.

Guaranteed if this announcement was the other way around, people would be dancing in the streets and laughing at XBO owners.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so, this is timed or full exclusive?

this sure sounds like a full exclusive to me...

5U16z83.png

Can someone explain to me why has this thread exploded to nearly 60 pages in a few hours?

What is so important/controversial about it? We've seen many developers reach some kind of exclusivity agreement with console manufacturers in the past - why is this one so controversial?
Because people wanted it and only have PS4s maybe. I think its a good move. If it turn out well then MS has a game in 2015 that is rather unchartedesque to put out.

Megatron

If its a timed exclusive, the real problem is on the wording MS chose. Timed exclusivity deals should be referred as 'first on'. Otherwise is deceiving the consumer.

It has always seemed to me that with these announcements, they don't use words like that because they want you to think of it as exclusive and not timed exclusive. This is business as usual.

The thing that bothers me with TR is that it was first announced as a multiplatform title...

yeah, there's yer everyday salt, & then there's this. had this exclusivity, whether timed or not, been mentioned in the original announcement, there definitely would've been some salt. but this sorta 'bait'n'switch' bullshit (get everyone excited, then pull the rug out) just ends up making se/cd look pretty sleazy...

i think if this's indeed a timed exclusive, they should probably just spit it out now. because the whole thing's accomplished nothing but making them look bad...

Sanke__

The internet is full of hates. I am pretty sure if Rise of Tomb Raider is exclusive to PS4, the internet will be full of joys, happiness and trolls to Microsoft.

Moneyhatting is moneyhatting

But more people would be indifferent since more people own ps4s than xbones

If it is a timed exclusive, which I am reasonably confident it will turn out to be, then it's entirely intentional to be as vague about that as possible. The entire point of exclusives is to generate a competitive advantage.

Anyone expecting any proper clarification is fooling themselves. Any proper clarification is essentially burning whatever money was paid if it is a timed exclusive.

It could be a lifetime exclusive, I highly doubt it. But it could be. That's the point.

I have this image of Phil Spenser holding a gun to your head. It's videogames ...they can't force you to do anything. They're merely enticing you with something you want.

The only way to not play the salty exclusives game is to just own every console. It's easy, both consoles within one year of launch are only $800 USD. That's a steal compared to this time last generation.

But seriously, when was it definitively announced as multiplat?

Yeah, that's why I put "force me" in between quotation marks...
I have no problem with owning multiple consoles, I have a Wii U for Bayonetta, X, and the nintendo games. I have a problem with the way Microsoft handle THIS exclusive in particular.
If I recall, it was presented as multiplat the last E3.

Until Sony Money-hatted the sequel.
Truth. Though it did find its way back on a Sega platform again with the Dreamcast.

The more I remember the franchise, the more I realize it's been a culprit of these console exclusivity contracts for most of its life. Tomb Raider 2 and 3 exclusive to Sony, Tomb Raider: Anniversary 6-month exclusive to Sony, and Tomb Raider: Legend wouldn't see its life on a then current-generation Playstation console until nearly 5 years later. Seems like this Microsoft venture is just another feather in its hat.

Fuck. I wonder how they're going to optimize for the weaker hardware? No more 60fps goodness on PC or PS4. Glad I have an x1 though. Looks like MS is going down that same path with 3rd party exclusives this gen too :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
if you guys keep saying your going to wait for this to hit other platforms MS will probably make another deal to keep it a true exclusive, it happened before. ;)

And I won't buy it if that's the case. Thanks for saving me $60, MS, for not letting Square port it to PC?

Wow, pretty shocking. Something tells me this is an Uncharted competition scheme.

That's all I can think of too. Probably MS convinced Enix that they won't sell if they're going against Uncharted so they made it exclusive (timed?).

I personally am not phased by this news. I don't care who moneyhats who. If its interesting and if I ever get to own XBO then I'll get it. At this point I hate the fact that we have silly traditions where they announce preorder bonuses before they show the audience any gameplay footage.

Good show, MS/Enix. Enjoy the ride.

Mononoke

Banned
As fun as this has been, I think I'm going to back out of this until we get some solid information.

Probably for the best. Plus, it's just a never ending cycle where people enter the thread go "so much salt" ignoring all the reasonable discussion that came before. Then people re-explaining why it's not. Rinse and repeat.

I don't know why MS thinks TR is going to be they're new flagship IP. Seems like they're clutching at straws to gain any advantage over Sony at this point.

It'll be a decent seller, but it will in no way increase system sales. It's not that type of game. Especially if CD decides to incorporate another hamstrung multiplayer mode a la Tomb Raider 2013. They'll need to heavily invest in making a decent MP or co-op addition if they hope to push more product this time.

Too much salt causes bloat. That and the sour grapes have been hilarious, but harassing people on twitter is embarrassing.
Some of it is salt, the rest is just "Why?"
I wonder how much MS paid for the exclusivity of a game that made only 2 million on their platform? Probably 8 digits. I can believe the $400 million loss more and more because MS has been striking out on the exclusive deals.

Now this mural is a bit awkward...

Bu11SJ4IQAEtwSh.png
Croft went from the boat to an inflatable raft because the guy on it paid her a premium for it.

The funny thing about this is I had this on my Amazon wishlist on PS4.

I never understood people with the "I Believe In Phil Spencer" tags, he's still utilizing moneyhats over publishing. I was hoping to see Ninja Theory, etc. come out and announce a bunch of new AAA IPs being published by Microsoft but instead I see this which made me cringe.

I loved the reboot and played it on 360 and since I'm getting the SO White XB1 I'll be able to play it, but I feel bad for PC/PS4/PS3 only owners who don't have the money to spend on multiple consoles and are fans of the reboot as well.

lawful

Banned
Well, based on the wording they are using, absolutely yes. 'Clubs', 'social integration', 'social racing game'. Oh And I meant Forza 2 of course!

Forza FOUR had clubs, in 2011 ffs. And after buying Skype, bundling the system with a camera, and integrating these aforementioned and other methods of contact into every game and app on Xbox One you expected them to champion the sequel to their immensely popular and critically acclaimed racing game as the "anti-social racing game?" Get real.

Castef

Banned
Pretty much this. All and all, Forza Horizon has been created as a direct competitor to DC. They bombarded with words like social integration, clubs and the 'best social racing game ever'. I do think that competition is good but copying a game or in this case, buying exclusivity deals to have a direct competitor to Uncharted is lame and should not be applauded.

This is really wonderful. ;)

Guys, could we try to keep the level a little higher than this?

Because this is getting depressing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can someone explain to me why has this thread exploded to nearly 60 pages in a few hours?

What is so important/controversial about it? We've seen many developers reach some kind of exclusivity agreement with console manufacturers in the past - why is this one so controversial?

Because most of the people that bought TR, bought it on either PS3, PS4 or PC. Yet that majority of people are unable to buy the sequel unless they happen to also have an xbox in their house.

I'd say being pissed off is an acceptable response to this announcement.

Nephtes

Yeah, that's why I put "force me" in between quotation marks...
I have no problem with owning multiple consoles, I have a Wii U for Bayonetta, X, and the nintendo games. I have a problem with the way Microsoft handle THIS exclusive in particular.
If I recall, it was presented as multiplat the last E3.

By who? It was revealed at Microsoft's presser and they weren't going to say "and it will be coming out holiday 2015 on Xbox One and PS4!"

So, who said it was multiplat?

Top Bottom