• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider will be bundled with Nvidia GPUs

NeoRaider

Alright it appears your definition of disaster is extremely personal. All of the games quoted AK is by a landslide the one I would not hesitate to label a disaster, missing visual features, crashes and unbelievably bad performance.
I got Watch Dogs, Dying Light and Just Cause 3 very near launch and while they were not without faults my experience was very decent right out of the gate, and very good very soon after.
AMD's problems in those games stem from their slowness to release optimized drivers, I simply can't make a good case condemning Nvidia for unfair practices in the games you are talking about. I will concede I do not have complete visibility on the matter, maybe there is a clause in the contract which stipulates that other vendors must not have access to the most recent build or something silly. I suppose this is a tempting reasoning for those looking for culprits.

Call me a Nvidia apologist all you want, facts do not support the assertion that Nvidia have deliberately "sabotaged" AMD's performance in those games.
Less efficient drivers might have something to do with Dying Light's framerate on AMD cards (and the game has been nerfed regarding draw distance so even on AMD cards you should be GPU limited more easily), and I suspect the same would apply to Watch Dogs. Just Cause 3 is, as I said, not discriminatory, crashes and visual bugs (flickering in my case) occur on both Nvidia and AMD.

And you are forgetting games like Dragon Age Inquisition which ran poorly on AMD cards at launch, it's an AMD branded game.

No doubt Nvidia are not angels, but I believe there are valid technical reasons behind performance on their competitor.

Then what was Unity? You forgot about it or?
And i never said "disaster", i said fail.

All these games i mentioned (excluding JC3, just because i didn't tried it) had problems on the launch, until they were fixed, some after few weeks, some after few months.

Unity was unplayable for me with 280X,. After few months and 4-5 patches it was ok.
Watch Dogs is still very demanding and it goes below 30fps for no reason, most of the time.
Dying Light was running like crap until they downgraded it few weeks after the release.
Do i need to mention AK, and JC3 that is still not fixed, just look at the Steam user score. And read reviews.

Kezen

Banned
Then what was Unity? You forgot about it or?
And i never said "disaster", i said fail.
I edited my post to include Unity. Surprisingly, my performance was really good at launch but there were issues regarding textures and stability. Were Nvidia responsible for that ? I doubt it.

All these games i mentioned (excluding JC3, just because i didn't tried it) had problems on the launch, until they were fixed, some after few weeks, some after few months.
I'm aware of that, hence my comment on Nvidia's choice of release to put their brand in a good light. No idea who greenlit those deals but they should evaluate them more carefully.
Whether or not they are responsible is not even in dispute, fact remains that people will tend to associate Nvidia branded games with wonky day one releases.

Unity was unplayable for me with 280X,. After few months and 4-5 patches it was ok.
Watch Dogs is still very demanding and it goes below 30fps for no reason, most of the time.
Dying Light was running like crap until they downgraded it few weeks after the release.
Do i need to mention AK, and JC3 that is still not fixed, just look at the Steam user score. And read reviews.
Watch Dogs can drop below 30fps in situations where tons of alphas, explosions, and car craches occur at the same time. I don't think this is outrageous. In most cases though performance has been really good on Nvidia and AMD from what I heard, I never tested the game on anything other than Nvidia cards (5 of them).

Lastly, I tend to take some distance from Steam "reviews" and user impressions. Too many so called PC gamers not understanding anything about settings for once, along with those who believe they bought a piece of limitless alien technology.
With those people the only way for your PC version to be praised is to be extremely conservative pertaining to scalability, Mad Max is the prime example. It sure runs well and it sure looks like a last generation game as well.
More ambitious projects will run worse but that does not mean they are not well optimized.

Back on topic, AMD owners have nothing to worry about. Rise of the Tomb Raider is technologically opulent on Xbone already, and this will translate well to AMD hardware I reckon.
Hence my surprise, do Nvidia "need" this game ? They already have bundled Rainbow Six Siege and AC Syndicate in November-December.
Do they need this partnership to move cards ? Maybe the game will so much favor AMD cards that Nvidia need something to counter that, but it seems awfully counterproductive to me.

Sorry, it did not seem to make much sense a week or so ago and it has yet to make sense for me today. That could make sense if Nvidia and whoever is working on the PC version are collaborating on a slew of high-end rendering techniques which will be Nvidia optimized.

Wagram

One way to rack up some sales is to give it away :p

I'll pick it up on PC at some point. Just don't know when it will be now. 2016 is too stacked.

Every Nvidia bundled game I can remember has been utter dog shit on PC at launch.

Batman Arkham Knight
Far Cry 4
Watch Dogs

Of most recent memory

UrbanRats

Unity
Watch Dogs
Dying Light
Arkham Knight
JC3

All had problems and not just with AMD, but this is turning into off topic talk now.
Several of those games performed bad even on consoles.
Unity and Just Cause 3 in particular.

In fact, I think Arkham Knight is the only one with a big difference between PC and console in performance, and the port was so bad and clearly unfinished, that I wouldn't blame Nvidia or AMD for it (aside from the misleading marketing).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

In fact, I think Arkham Knight is the only one with a big difference between PC and console in performance, and the port was so bad and clearly unfinished, that I wouldn't blame Nvidia or AMD for it (aside from the misleading marketing).

The strange thing about Arkham Knight is that the PC version was used to demo the game during Sony's E3 conference in 2014. That it went backwards in the space of a year is baffling.

Kezen

Banned

No one with a shred of intelligence would blame Nvidia for the state in which this game released. The point being made is that notable Nvidia sponsored games at launch did not run too well, Watch Dogs and Far Cry 4 stuttered for instance. It was fixed quickly from my recollection (and even at launch neither were unplayable on my system) but Nvidia have the tendency of striking strange deals.
They also sponsored Call of Duty Ghosts, a game which never ran well on any of the PCs I've tested it on.

AC Syndicate or the last Rainbow Six were well received on PC, those can be demanding for sure but I see no major issues with either of those PC versions.

ISee

Does DX12 actually do anything worth noting yet? I know what the supposed capabilities are, particularly the draw calls, but I've not played any DX12 games yet and from what I've heard the few that support it aren't reaping much of a benefit. I realize my post might sound a bit crappy but for what it's worth I'm actually banking on DX12 being vital in a number of games down the line, just not heard great results yet outside of MS's PR.

It seems to improve performance in CPU bottleneck situations.

Ashes of singularity (medium graphical settings, low/mid range cpu bottleneck situation)
ashesofsingdx12_1i5slq.jpg

A 16% increase (i3) is quite impressive.

Ashes of singularity (ultra high 1440p settings, gpu is the bottleneck this time around)
ashesofsingdx12_2jyste.jpg

Even i3s are able to hit descent numbers:

Fable legends BETA
fablelegendsbetadx12_m2ua4.jpg

So far DX 12 is very promising, but we really have to wait for more and especially finished products before conclusions can be made.

roytheone

It seems to improve performance in CPU bottleneck situations.

Even i3s are able to hit descent numbers:

So far DX 12 is very promising, but we really have to wait for more and especially finished products before conclusions can be made.

This is extremely exciting for me since I am cpu bottlenecked in pretty much every game I play.

demigod

Those codes have already been bought by Nvidia.

You missed his point. Now everyone and their grandma will be buying the codes second hand instead of buying it for full price from Steam or GMG. It's like buying a used game!

Every Nvidia bundled game I can remember has been utter dog shit on PC at launch.

Batman Arkham Knight
Far Cry 4
Watch Dogs

Of most recent memory

V was great at launch and it was a simultaneous release. It also has to do with the fact that FOX is a game engine aimed at lastgen hardware as target that even though scales well, it's objective is to use lighting techniques & photoscan to mask detail.

Also, GTA V was bundled as well wasn't it ?

The strange thing about Arkham Knight is that the PC version was used to demo the game during Sony's E3 conference in 2014. That it went backwards in the space of a year is baffling.

Running games on PC at trade shows are a standard industry practice. But the difference here is that portion of the game in the show was most probably written by rocksteady themselves as opposed to the full PC version port by 12 guys at IG. That and the horror show, GameWorks.

roytheone

You missed his point. Now everyone and their grandma will be buying the codes second hand instead of buying it for full price from Steam or GMG. It's like buying a used game!

No it isn't. A used game sale will cost the publisher a sale, since both people could have played the game. Someone selling their code clearly has no interest in the game, so it is not really a lost sale since the seller would not have bought the game anyway. The buyer would have, but instead square gets the sale from Nvidia.

dEvAnGeL

So, where's the people that were saying i was wrong? I was the one who posted this info last week and everyone came at me saying it was impossible

samar11

Any idea when the new geforce cards will be out ? I was going to get a gtx 980Ti but if there is a newer card coming out in the next 6 months I rather wait.

Rosur

According to the email the game would be out January 7.
http://www.fudzilla.com/news/games/39563-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-go-get-geforce-bundled

That's very early into 2016.

I just hope it's not a straight Xbone port. Not that additional visual effects or improvements are absolutely mandatory (beyond uncapped fps and rendering resolution) but it should always be appreciated.

That seems early and little time to announce now, assume we will get announcement on Monday then with the date of the PC version? or will they just stealth release it on the PC?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
According to the email the game would be out January 7.
http://www.fudzilla.com/news/games/39563-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-go-get-geforce-bundled

That's very early into 2016.

I just hope it's not a straight Xbone port. Not that additional visual effects or improvements are absolutely mandatory (beyond uncapped fps and rendering resolution) but it should always be appreciated.

Yeah, but there's a pre-purchase sub in the Steam registry, so I think it's safe to say that the game would already be purchasable if it were releasing in just a few days.

I'm not against being wrong, though!

Kezen

Banned
That seems early and little time to announce now, assume we will get announcement on Monday then with the date of the PC version? or will they just stealth release it on the PC?

I'm not against being wrong, though!

I mean doesn't this almost seems like a stealth release to you guys ?
There is no marketing whatsoever, no hype at all.

roytheone

I think what they mean is that the bundle of GPU+game will go on sale on the 7th, not the game itself. You will just get a key that you can use to "pre-order" the game on steam. This site probably misinterpreted the e-mail.

Top Bottom