• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider will be bundled with Nvidia GPUs

Mifec

Will buy as soon as I see how good the port is. I didn't really like the first one but apparently this fixed some of the issues, so I'll risk it if the port is good.

dr_rus

If the intro splash screen is AMD, it will be hilarious. Nvidia paying for bundle, MS paid just to add to the list of X1's best games of Xbox History 2015 and nothing else, SE is just straight up selling this game for short term gains thinking it won't do well on it's own. Now it seems they can't even promote the game unless it involves X1.
I've said it previously but I don't think that anyone answered - where does it say that RotTR uses TressFX? There was a lot of speculation on this but I believe that CD made their own version of TressFX which they don't call that anymore. So technically they're not using AMD's tech, they took the sources and made their own hair tech from them.

NeoRaider

I've said it previously but I don't think that anyone answered - where does it say that RotTR uses TressFX? There was a lot of speculation on this but I believe that CD made their own version of TressFX which they don't call that anymore. So technically they're not using AMD's tech, they took the sources and made their own hair tech from them.

Brian said in the interview that it is improved version of TressFX from the first game, that they developed with AMD.
Marco: While developing Tomb Raider 2013 and after releasing the first screenshots and gameplay videos, many people complained about how Lara’s hair looked. The team greatly addressed this problem and implemented TressFX, in cooperation with AMD. This new technology was made available on PC and PS4/XB1 for Lara’s model in Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, the latter showcasing an even more polished version.

When did you feel the need to implement the TressFX? How far are you going to push this technology and improve Lara’s overall model? And how will dirt and water affect Lara’s hair?

Brian Horton: We definitely believe the hair technology we developed with AMD was a foundation for the way we believe hair will be rendered in the future video game graphics. And, as pioneers of this - there’s not many people to look at for reference other than films - we have been pushing that technology to find ways to make it even better. And we have been developing techniques to allow us to have more hair but less physics. The hair is now in clusters, so the way hair naturally falls is that hair wants to be next to a adjacent hairs that create shapes. Now, the hair splines can follow these guide hairs and these formerly physics-grown hairs, so it feels a little bit more natural when it moves. That’s one of the evolutions, and in water we now have the “zero-gravity” effect; so, when she goes underwater, her hair will float and it’s important - when it comes out of the water - it will feel heavier and feel more clumped and obviously look wet and darker, so all these things, including snow and the snow accumulated in the hair, that we’ve been incorporating into our technology.

http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/123389886680/e3-ambassador-blog-evolving-an-icon-lara-croft
http://wccftech.com/rise-tomb-raider-push-boundaries-xbox/

Also Eurogamer (or DF) says it's TressFX:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-tech-analysis

Does anyone have experience with preorder keys on cdkeys? Do they usuallly hit the release date?

Pre-ordered 2 times i think, they sent keys days before the release both times.

Kezen

Banned

It does not really matter if it does use AMD developped technologies, or that the game is tuned for GCN (pretty much all multiplats anyway), what matters is how well it performs on Nvidia hardware. Judging by the fact that this bundle even exists I assume it must run well enough on Kepler/Maxwell cards, perhaps even better then if Nvidia have worked on some additional visual effects that favor their lineup.

Parsnip

I'm not going to jump on cdkeys, I'll rather wait for some friendly gaffer in the bst thread to start selling keys.
Either way it's too soon, we don't even know the actual price of the game yet do we.

Otheradam

I'm not going to jump on cdkeys, I'll rather wait for some friendly gaffer in the bst thread to start selling keys.
Either way it's too soon, we don't even know the actual price of the game yet do we.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't $60, at least officially.

dr_rus

Brian said in the interview that it is improved version of TressFX from the first game, that they developed with AMD.

http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/123389886680/e3-ambassador-blog-evolving-an-icon-lara-croft
http://wccftech.com/rise-tomb-raider-push-boundaries-xbox/

Also Eurogamer (or DF) says it's TressFX:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-tech-analysis

Pre-ordered 2 times i think, they sent keys days before the release both times.
Well, they did develop TressFX with AMD but I haven't seem anyone from CD calling RotTR hair tech "TressFX". They are saying that it's based on what was done for TR reboot etc. but are trying to avoid calling it TressFX it seems.

As for EG - hence the speculation. EG is not an official source on this.

Again, I'm not saying that it's not some version of TressFX, I'm just saying that it seems to be customized by CD to a point where it's not even called TressFX anymore by anyone including AMD themselves.

It does not really matter if it does use AMD developped technologies, or that the game is tuned for GCN (pretty much all multiplats anyway), what matters is how well it performs on Nvidia hardware. Judging by the fact that this bundle even exists I assume it must run well enough on Kepler/Maxwell cards, perhaps even better then if Nvidia have worked on some additional visual effects that favor their lineup.
I was replying to someone saying that there will be an AMD logo on launch because of TressFX tech being used.

As for performance - I don't expect any surprises since even TressFX 1.0 performed just fine on Kepler after a driver and a game update, Maxwell is much better in compute and since hair is geometry basically all NV's chips should do just fine with their simulation. I won't be surprised actually if Maxwell will fair better than GCN with hair in RotTR.

Kezen

Banned
I was replying to someone saying that there will be an AMD logo on launch because of TressFX tech being used.

As for performance - I don't expect any surprises since even TressFX 1.0 performed just fine on Kepler after a driver and a game update, Maxwell is much better in compute and since hair is geometry basically all NV's chips should do just fine with their simulation. I won't be surprised actually if Maxwell will fair better than GCN with hair in RotTR.

Right I might have misunderstood then, regarding Tressfx performance it's the third iteration, or a highly customized variant based on Tressfx 3 so we can't really know how it will perform on Nvidia. They have tweaked it to a great extent in the past.

I have to say I'm eager to see if there will be any additional effects or improved ones and if Nvidia has anything to do with that.

kuYuri

Officially confirmed. You're welcome. :p

8Y4Pgc8.jpg

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-nvidia-geforce-gtx-bundle

Bioshocker

Will buy as soon as I see how good the port is. I didn't really like the first one but apparently this fixed some of the issues, so I'll risk it if the port is good.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a really great game. You should buy it. :)

Kezen

Banned
"When you buy a 970 or above"

What's left? 980, 980 Ti, Titan X?

Titan X is excluded from this bundle for some odd reason, I'm surprised the 960 is as well.
The game is not shaping up to be very demanding at all aside from the possible inclusion of VXAO, so a 960 should eat this game for breakfast at 1080p (probably 60fps at Xbone settings).

Titan X is excluded from this bundle for some odd reason, I'm surprised the 960 is as well.
The game is not shaping up to be very demanding at all aside from the possible inclusion of VXAO, so a 960 should eat this game for breakfast at 1080p (probably 60fps at Xbone settings).
Hm, strangely limited promo then. I wonder if they didn't want to pay as much as they did for previous promos :/

Kezen

Banned
Hm, strangely limited promo then. I wonder if they didn't want to pay as much as they did for previous promos :/

Maybe they simply want to push higher-margin cards. But it does not change the fact that the 950(yes)/960 paired with a modern I5 or above should comfortably outclass the Xbone.

kuYuri

This is normal unfortunately. The last several promos were like this, while cards below the 970 get other promos that involve games that aren't as demanding to run, such as Heroes of the Storm promo for 950/960 cards.

wazoo

Damn. Going to monitor the prices, but I've been buying games lately at CDkeys and haven't had any issues. Definitely double dipping on this masterpiece to see the eye candy on PC.

I would avoid any fantastic deal BEFORE the release. You never know. After, it is almost impossible to have problems.

akileese

everyone with a 970 can enter?

You need to buy a new card from a retailer and when you do, there will be a download code with it either handed out or printed on a receipt depending on where you go. When I went to Microcenter they give you redemption cards. Best Buy they're typically printed on receipts.

PhaZZe

Banned
You need to buy a new card from a retailer and when you do, there will be a download code with it either handed out or printed on a receipt depending on where you go. When I went to Microcenter they give you redemption cards. Best Buy they're typically printed on receipts.

for latin america(me) they only want photo for serial number and photo for receipt, oh and store name, not sure if this works, lets try.
maybe they will check the date from receipt.

Vitor711

Amazon UK really doesn't want to give out a code to a 970 purchased 5 days ago.

Complain enough and they will. I got them to send me a code for MGVS5 due to Batman being broken just by being persistent. Basically got those 2 and The Witcher with my 980. What a deal.

Has everyone gotten their Steam keys? I redeemed my code some weeks back and they were out of stock: no sign of them yet. Or have the Steam keys been distributed at all

NeoRaider

Has everyone gotten their Steam keys? I redeemed my code some weeks back and they were out of stock: no sign of them yet. Or have the Steam keys been distributed at all

I redeemed mine yesterday, i got the game instantly after connecting to Steam. Something is wrong with your code/steam i guess. Contact them.

mnannola

Is it fair to say the 970 will stay at the same price it has been since it came out all the way up until the next gen Nvidia cards?

What exactly do you mean? Did you connect to your Steam account and got the game in your library? If yes, i think that's it.

I went to redeem my key, redeemed it, it said it was out of stock and asked me to provide me my email to get noticed when it's available again. But I haven't got any emails

Echoplx

I went to redeem my key, redeemed it, it said it was out of stock and asked me to provide me my email to get noticed when it's available again. But I haven't got any emails

Just redeem it again, despite what it said the key wasn't redeemed and they never sent emails to anyone.

NeoRaider

Like Echoplx said try doing everything again. They should have keys in stock now.

Echoplx

I can't, it says that the key was already redeemed

If you bought one of the $20 keys in the bst thread then some of the early codes sent out were dupes, the seller provided replacements but you had to contact him. You could try now but I'm not sure if he will have any left.

If you bought one of the $20 keys in the bst thread then some of the early codes sent out were dupes, the seller provided replacements but you had to contact him. You could try now but I'm not sure if he will have any left.

It was from the B/S/D thread so it might be one of the same, I'll contact the seller. Thanks for the info

Picked up a Gigabyte Xtreme GTX970. Excited to play this, and got it in a way that I don't feel like I'm rewarding Square for horrible business practices.

Top Bottom