• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise & Shine Review Thread

danowat

Banned
boxart.png

I was really looking forward to this, but the reviews seem mixed, I would also like to point out that the XBO version appears to have a game breaking bug that causes a crash to desktop, so beware.

Opencritic - 71 - Fair

Gameinformer - 5.5/10

My favorite parts are the ones that lean heavily on puzzle-solving, like using your radio-controlled bullets to avoid incoming fire and hit switches. The art direction is also impressive, with colorful hand-drawn characters and landscapes that make the action pop. I even liked some of the nods to other games, including characters who are only as different from Mario, Link, and Marcus Fenix as law requires. However, even these references get stale as you realize that the world has no identity of its own; it's just an amalgam of game industry winks and nudges. That kind of erosion sums up my feelings about Rise & Shine as a whole; it feels clever and promising at first, but doesn't change its approach when the formula wears thin.

Trueachievements - 3.5/5

It only took three hours to get through Rise and Shine in its entirety but it was an enjoyable experience. With beautiful visuals and some exciting boss fights, there's plenty of flash to get your attention. The combat is interspersed between cool set pieces and interesting puzzles, which keep things fresh as you die your way through the game. The only hiccup was the finale where two fights accelerated the difficulty to such an extreme degree that playtime can nearly be doubled. That, combined with a hit and miss story, made this game a little weaker than it could have been. Ultimately, Rise and Shine is a game that fans of the genre and those looking for a quick experience will enjoy, but hesitant players may not find their experience worth the purchase.

Destructiod - 4/10

To summarize in a similar vein to Rise & Shine's humor: This game could have been a triumph, but then it took an arrow to the knee. The graphics make you think the gameplay cake is real, but the cake is a lie. All you'll find are Flappy Birds, a dead Princess Peach, and Marcus Fenix. But hey, at least you can kill the Duck Hunt dog, so that has to count for something. Oh, and this is the Dark Souls of video game humor. Take that for what you will.

Gamespew - 8/10

All things considered though, if you like a good challenge and value quality gameplay over length, which you should, Rise & Shine is a great little title and a great start to the gaming year. The visuals impress from start to finish, the audio constantly delights despite a lack of voice acting, and the frenetic action is varied and addictive. It's a game for gamers who'll chuckle at every little visual cue that's generously strewn throughout its running time and then go back to see if there's any they may have missed. Those with little patience may quickly find themselves throwing their pads in despair, but those who can hack it will be utterly charmed.

We got this covered - 3/5

Rise & Shine has a lot of interesting ideas to keep players on their toes. It's just a shame that some of the fun turns sour due to repeated puzzles and poor gun accuracy.

God is a geek - 9/10

Rise and Shine is yet another game published by Adult Swim that hits the spot, both in entertainment value and replayability. I had a few issues with the game freezing, to which I had to restart from the beginning of a section. I adored Headlander, and I'm equally in love with Rise and Shine. It's not the longest of games, but its gorgeous style, great control scheme and constant gaming references offer plenty of reasons to keep playing and come back to. Super Awesome Hyper Dimensional Mega Team have done a fantastic job here, and I'm really glad I got a chance to play it.

Attack of the fanboy - 3/5

Rise & Shine is a run and gun 2D shooter that struggles to find its footing in game play and tone. Small issues can be found throughout the experience, but the difficulty and level design, in both variety and beauty, makes the experience worth a few hours of your time.

ACG - Wait for sale

MondoXbox - 7.4

Rise & Shine offers a great visual look with lots of cameos and references to the video gaming world, all coupled with a good and challenging action-platform gameplay. The good action phases get hampered by more repetitive and long puzzle moments or by some frustrating trial and error sequences, though. But when it manages to really shine, it can be a great action game.

Windowscentral - 3/5

PROS:
Excellent 2D artwork
Clever remote-controlled bullets mechanic
Lots of references to popular video games

CONS:
Punishing difficulty in general and frustrating final boss
Graphic violence creates a needlessly dark tone
The story and the villain's motivations are unsatisfying.

Metro - 3/10

In Short: Gorgeous graphics but gormless gameplay leaves you wishing you were playing any of the dozens of other games this indie dud attempts to parody.

Pros: The 2D graphics are superb, and so is the soundtrack. The remote-control bullet feature is neat, and should've been expanded on.

Cons: A hotchpotch of different shooter genres, hobbled by an unreliable control system and unreasonably high difficultly level. Painfully unfunny script and wasted homages.

This is ours (Italian):

MondoXbox - 7.4
Rise & Shine offers a great visual look with lots of cameos and references to the video gaming world, all coupled with a good and challenging action-platform gameplay. The good action phases get hampered by more repetitive and long puzzle moments or by some frustrating trial and error sequences, though. But when it manages to really shine, it can be a great action game.

wouwie

I had very high hopes for this game when it was announced and a bit sad that it wouldn't be available on the paltform i own. But the reviews seem very mixed, from surprisingly low in some cases to good. It's a shame as the game looked so promising and i like the genre. Still, i think i'll buy it if it comes available on PS4.

STEaMkb

I had very high hopes for this game when it was announced and a bit sad that it wouldn't be available on the paltform i own. But the reviews seem very mixed, from surprisingly low in some cases to good. It's a shame as the game looked so promising and i like the genre. Still, i think i'll buy it if it comes available on PS4.

PS4 release date is February.

Karak

Thanks for posting mine!
I thought it was ok. Sadly it misses the mark in some places though.

Footos22

Just finished this took about 2 hours if that. I enjoyed it though. If your an achievement whore I got 750 gamerscore just by playing through it normally. Loved the art and the easter eggs. But ultimately the trailer was better then the actual game.

eastx

It's stupidly hard. Overall enjoyment probably comes down to tolerance for the horrible final boss battles.

Gamecentral gave it 3/10

http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/26/rise-shine-review-if-looks-could-kill-6406488/

In Short: Gorgeous graphics but gormless gameplay leaves you wishing you were playing any of the dozens of other games this indie dud attempts to parody.

Pros: The 2D graphics are superb, and so is the soundtrack. The remote-control bullet feature is neat, and should’ve been expanded on.

Cons: A hotchpotch of different shooter genres, hobbled by an unreliable control system and unreasonably high difficultly level. Painfully unfunny script and wasted homages.

danowat

Banned
Doesn't seem to have gotten a whole lot of attention, but Giant Bomb did a quick look yesterday, and they seemed to quite like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnvdJQizjJ8

The level of difficulty has put me right off, that battle with the robot boss gave me anxiety, 3 different forms and no checkpoint between them?, no thanks!

eastx

Windows Central's review (mine) is now live:

http://www.windowscentral.com/rise-and-shine-review

PROS:
  • Excellent 2D artwork
  • Clever remote-controlled bullets mechanic
  • Lots of references to popular video games

CONS:
  • Punishing difficulty in general and frustrating final boss
  • Graphic violence creates a needlessly dark tone
  • The story and the villain's motivations are unsatisfying.

wouwie

It's coming out on PS4 in April. It's available for pre-order on the store but the date isn't final yet according to the developers.

eastx

The Xbox and Steam versions were just patched to improve the difficulty in the last third of the game. Has anyone tried those sections since the patch?

wouwie

Does anyone know if the PS4 version is the patched version which addressed some of the more frustrating parts? Or was the original version never patched? I read the developers Twitter page at the time that the game was released and apparently they moved on to a new project soon after release because sales of Rise & Shine weren't that good.

I'm still interested in buying this on PS4 but i wonder if some of the issues, mainly difficulty related, have been addressed in the meantime.

Top Bottom