• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 3: Titan Lords |OT| The magic is back

Risen 2 is among my all-time favourite games.

Mechanically it was quite poor in places, but i loved the game's sense of humour and the way that it didn't hold your hand like a lot of role-playing games do - leaving you to suss out some of the more interesting ways to resolve issues and complete quests yourself.

I'm a little disappointed in The Titan Lords as there weren't anywhere near as many interesting approaches to take to quests, and the new Nameless Hero's gruff personality isn't an entertaining as the slightly loutish and obnoxious PC from the second game.

Piranha Bytes also seemed to have toned down the dialogue. I remember nearly spitting out my drink when Admiral Alvarez took a guess at where the Nameless Hero considered to be the best hiding place on Slayne's ship in Dark Tides. There was nothing like that here.

I also thought that while the companions were more fleshed out and interesting in their own right, their interaction with the player wasn't as engaging. I'll always remember that final conversation with Jafar after defeating Myra. And the talk with Patty at the conclusion of the Treasure Isle DLC.

Risen 2 is a 10/10 in my opinion. Risen 3, while a very good RPG, is only a 7.

It does have an awesome main theme though, and is the best game i have played this year with the word 'titan' in the title.

Perhaps the single weirdest post I have ever seen.

Justifying it properly would require too much in the way of spoilers, and it seems that a fair number of those active in this thread jumped into the series with the third game, so i wouldn't want to spoil anything for them.

What i will say though, is that it's one of the few role-playing games that has granted me a special power or tool, and then allowed me to use it to do some weird/non-important things that are in no way hinted at or instructed by the game. You can do some really cool and funny things with voodoo.

That ten-out-ten isn't subjective, but Risen 2 ranks among Metro: Last Light, Transformers: Fall of Cybertron and The Darkness II as one of my favourite games from the previous generation, and the freedom offered in regards to solving problems or just messing about renders it as close to the perfect RPG experience as i've encountered.

Moff

What i will say though, is that it's one of the few role-playing games that has granted me a special power or tool, and then allowed me to use it to do some weird/non-important things that are in no way hinted at or instructed by the game. You can do some really cool and funny things with voodoo.

I havent played risen 3 with voodoo, yet, isnt that possible there, too?

Sentenza

Speaking of charm, flavor and humor, one gag I absolutely loved in Risen 2 is when you learn the "secret password" from Captain Garcia -
The password is
"All Hail Garcia!"
and the main character comments on the topic "What a wanker".
Then, just few minutes later, I had a dialogue with Patty where I reported what the password was to her, and she added another comment: "Seriously? What a tosser".

kd-z

Justifying it properly would require too much in the way of spoilers, and it seems that a fair number of those active in this thread jumped into the series with the third game, so i wouldn't want to spoil anything for them.
Hey man, don't hold it back, just spoiler tag it. I'd definitely like to read why you liked Risen 2 so much :)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
40 hours into this and absolutely loving it. This is very much on track to be one of my favourite games this year. It makes me chuckle that two of my favourite RPGs I've played this year are Two Worlds 2 (especially the DLC) and Risen 3 :p

I've run into a bug though and it's a bastard.

I have to recruit Patty now that I have a big ship and she's standing there in the middle of the ocean and I can't talk to her as I'm swimming :(. When I had talked to her before earlier I had her join me whilst running about Kila and she must have got stuck there (not far offshore from where she first stands

I don't think it's a game ruiner, I hope, but only disappointing thing so far. It's been surprisingly polished up to now.

SteaG

In case some of you would be interested, RPGFrance has posted an interview with Björn Pankratz from Piranha Bytes. There's an english translation towards the end of the page.

Some info from it : (there is more on the website)
  • New Gothic? Gamers have different expectations about the Gothic franchise, that makes a new one quite difficult to create.
  • Open world in next games? Demand is high.
  • New genres? They are successful with RPG so nothing else is planned.

Sentenza

In case some of you would be interested, RPGFrance has posted an interview with Björn Pankratz from Piranha Bytes. There's an english translation towards the end of the page.

Some info from it : (there is more on the website)
  • New Gothic? Gamers have different expectations about the Gothic franchise, that makes a new one quite difficult to create.
  • Open world in next games? Demand is high.
  • New genres? They are successful with RPG so nothing else is planned.
Second-last question:
"The final boss is very difficult, even in the easiest difficulty"
Uhm, no, it isn't.
The moment where it "challenged" me the most was "Damn, I may actually need to use a grog bottle here".
Anyway, incredibly curious to know what they are going to do next. As usual.

Clydefrog

I had no idea why I couldn't use the teleporters after I activated them. I just shrugged my shoulders and continued walking everywhere. I had like 10 of them activated before I realized you "use" them via the map. Damnit!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I've had many party members get stuck. Using the "Return to ship" button on the map gets them back on the ship always.

That's the unfortunate thing as Patty isn't actually part of my crew yet so I can't do that either :( I'll take a small youtube video later, nothing that surprising as such just a bit annoying.

No they don't.

I think they do. I often read complains about PB always sticking to the same formula and never trying something new and original, so its basically the same game over and over again. Some other (self-proclaimed) hardcore Gothic fans think the opposite and that Risen strayed far too much from its roots; they'd be happy with a 1:1 classic Gothic game, even with a remake where nothing besides the graphics is changed.

Either way it would be hard for PB to satisfy the expectations. I still think it might be worth it to return to the Gothic series though. At least the name is still somewhat popular here in Germany.

Anyway, I'm ~15 hours into Risen 3 now and liking it. Better than Risen 2. It's a little less cliché, the exploration feels more free and the combat definitely improved (though I still like Risen 1's better).

Moff

yes, some german magazines complained that even risen 3 was too much of the same old same old. It's the zelda effect. no matter what.
I dont welcome most changes in the concept, but I'm fine with most with them.
What I am not finde with, that there are still too many faults in their own concept, faults, that I think could very easily have been changed and improved, with little effort. I think witthout these little faults, the game could easily have been a classic.

Sentenza

In some sense I could see people having "different expectations" about a new Gothic... But they aren't strictly about having a different general formula (because let's face it, Risen 1 was essentially "another Gothic without the license").
It's more a matter that Gothic is probably perceived like a more historically relevant brand, so for a new chapter after all these years people would arguably expect/pretend from PB to step up their game considerably, making something far more impressive, both in terms of overall ambition and production value.
And let me clear, I'm not saying it's an entirely reasonable expectation (after all it's the same developer we are talking about), I'm just saying I could easily imagine this happening.

Clydefrog

I just got alchemy and started leveling it up a bit... is there a list online of where to find recipes for all potions?

also, damn you lockpicking! I just joined the mages so I'm going to leave lockpicking alone (at 70) and start raising my crystal magic so I can use Rust. i'm missing soooo many locked chests :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I played a bunch over the weekend. Probably eight hours in now.

Man... the game sure does change once you get Crystal Magic. Way OP compared to trying to beat enemies with a sword.

The game sure did get a lot easier, but I'm having a ton of fun just exploring and adventuring. Definitely enjoying the game quite a bit.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Finished with around 48 hours on the clock. Brilliant game and I stand by what I said, going to be one of my favourite games this year. The only parts I didn't like were the naval battles, I just thought they weren't particularly fun. I never thought I would say this but they should nab the boat mechanics from Black Flag if they ever want those in a Risen/Gothic game but still, very small part of a wonderful ride.

It makes me want to go and play Risen 2 and the Gothic games. As much as I love Piranha Byes style I've not played any of the Gothic games at all. Are the quests/dialogue etc as much fun as in the Risen games ? I guess the combat is probably worse.....

Still, absolutely worth recommending. I thought the gameplay/combat was actually pretty good tbh. I didn't think it was bad at all.

Moff

It makes me want to go and play Risen 2 and the Gothic games. As much as I love Piranha Byes style I've not played any of the Gothic games at all. Are the quests/dialogue etc as much fun as in the Risen games ? I guess the combat is probably worse....

well many gothic fans will tell you that the first two gothic games have much better combat than risen 3. personally I think they are just different and both have their strenghts and weaknesses. gothic had shields, two handed weapons, different weapon categories that actually made sense. and a much more direct and more complex combat with a bigger variety of slashes and stabs (although in the end, you always used the same ones) it has a notorious reputation to be janky. so they changed it in risen 3 to a much more fluent and more dynamic Kind of combat, but its far simpler.

quests and dialogues and especially the game mechanics are probably much better in gothic 1 and 2. there are many more consequences to your actions, its a much more coherent world (you can steal back money you gace an npc, as an example), in risen 3 you can basically steal witthout consequences even if you are seen, that wont happen in gothic 1 and 2, you can kill most npcs, crafting actually happens in the world, not in blacked out windows.

I think if you are looking for Piranha Bytes style game, it doesnt get better than gothic 1 and 2. their games have only been dumbed down since then. so I recommend you the gothic pack on steam or gog. although gothic 3 is only really enjoyable with several community patches.

Few studios have fallen as far as PB.

It's quite tragic in many ways, open world Action rpg's have never been more popular (skyrim), and brutal, punishing, attack pattern based combat like which Gothic 1+2 had have been put back in vogue by the souls series.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
well many gothic fans will tell you that the first two gothic games have much better combat than risen 3. personally I think they are just different and both have their strenghts and weaknesses. gothic had shields, two handed weapons, different weapon categories that actually made sense. and a much more direct and more complex combat with a bigger variety of slashes and stabs (although in the end, you always used the same ones) it has a notorious reputation to be janky. so they changed it in risen 3 to a much more fluent and more dynamic Kind of combat, but its far simpler.

quests and dialogues and especially the game mechanics are probably much better in gothic 1 and 2. there are many more consequences to your actions, its a much more coherent world (you can steal back money you gace an npc, as an example), in risen 3 you can basically steal witthout consequences even if you are seen, that wont happen in gothic 1 and 2, you can kill most npcs, crafting actually happens in the world, not in blacked out windows.

I think if you are looking for Piranha Bytes style game, it doesnt get better than gothic 1 and 2. their games have only been dumbed down since then. so I recommend you the gothic pack on steam or gog. although gothic 3 is only really enjoyable with several community patches.

Thanks for this :) I reckon I'd probably enjoy them then, I'll give them a go sometime.

I do love PBs quests, there was a simple quest in Risen 3 that reminded me so much of Army Of Darkness and gave me a good laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgvXtexdgAM

Few studios have fallen as far as PB.

It's quite tragic in many ways, open world Action rpg's have never been more popular (skyrim), and brutal, punishing, attack pattern based combat like which Gothic 1+2 had have been put back in vogue by the souls series.

If Risen 3 is Piranha Bytes 'falling so far' then hell they must have been brilliant at the top of their game.

Moff

I do love PBs quests, there was a simple quest in Risen 3 that reminded me so much of Army Of Darkness and gave me a good laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgvXtexdgAM

which quest was that?

also, there was a video before release from the escapist review I think there the character spoke something like the language from the call of cthulu, I never saw that in the game?

I think risen 3 had some hilarious quests and dialogues btw.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
which quest was that?

also, there was a video before release from the escapist review I think there the character spoke something like the language from the call of cthulu, I never saw that in the game?

I think risen 3 had some hilarious quests and dialogues btw.

It was during the quest where

you had to collect the evil books. For one of them you had to help some guy who went to an altar and was trying to summon beasts and then take control of them. He couldn't pronounce the ritual properly from the book :p Gave me a good laugh

Just reminded me of Army Of Darkness in a fun way.

demon326

Could somebody help me? I need the ship for the the demon hunter alliance, but don't know how to get it? Got all the other ships and i'm in chapter 4.. somehow i got the feeling i got stuck.

Moff

Could somebody help me? I need the ship for the the demon hunter alliance, but don't know how to get it? Got all the other ships and i'm in chapter 4.. somehow i got the feeling i got stuck.

you can reach it via a small boat from the beach, its the same location you find a talking skeleton for another quest.

but you should also be able to just swim to it, have you tried that?

Jag

Ships have a ladder you can climb up. Also some buildings have vines that let you climb up to the roof. I didn't realize that until almost the end of the game. Although parrot glide dropping was fun too.

Terra_Ex

Someone earlier mentioned a cameo from the previous "Hero" of Risen 1/2, where was this? I must have missed it.
It's on Calador, after you travel across the lava stream,follow the path past the turnip farm and keep heading in the direction of the tower in the southeast corner of the island, when you reach the tower head a little to the north and he's in that general area. Be sure to bring one of the companions he traveled with previously for some extra dialogue. Here's a map I swiped from elsewhere: http://i.imgur.com/SEGpUpR.jpg

Zukuu

Banned
I won't ever hesitate in saying that Gothic 1, 2 and night of the raven are some of the best games ever made.
Yep and yep. Replayed Gothic 1 earlier this year and it's still a god damn atmospheric monster. To this day, no other game (apart from G2) has come close to it. Really love both Games. Will replay Gothic 2 at some point as well. Tho, I still know so much about it. Played the shit outta the game back in the day.

Clydefrog

Call me sadistic, but I loved being able to murder NPCs in Gothic. Yeah when you fight them and win, you knock them unconscious... but if you want to, you can stab them in the chest when they're down and kill them!

Moff

yeah I love that, too. being able to kill any NPC is the ultimate freedom, and I love freedom in RPGs. its a shame they abandonded that with risen 2. although there were many immortal npcs in risen 1 already.
in gothic 3 you could kill anyone, from the kings to the mightiest wizard in the world. but gothic 3's freedom was also its demise.

Denton

I am still amazed this game is made by team of 25 people. That is just insane. It is probably as long as AC Unity will be, but unlike ACU it does not have repetitive content...and it looks beautiful to boot. And ACU is made by what, 1200 people ?

Clydefrog

I am still amazed this game is made by team of 25 people. That is just insane. It is probably as long as AC Unity will be, but unlike ACU it does not have repetitive content...and it looks beautiful to boot. And ACU is made by what, 1200 people ?

Yeah, I'm blown away at the amount of content this game has to offer. The islands (apart from Antigua which has some annoyingly unattainable beaches on its map) are quite large, diverse and full of surprises.

What is the best way to raise a skill to max? First: use all your available glory points, second: use the trainers which only cost gold, and third: use the permanent stat potions?

Moff

Yeah, I'm blown away at the amount of content this game has to offer. The islands (apart from Antigua which has some annoyingly unattainable beaches on its map) are quite large, diverse and full of surprises.

What is the best way to raise a skill to max? First: use all your available glory points, second: use the trainers which only cost gold, and third: use the permanent stat potions?

glory and trainers dont raise the same things.
glory raises attributes like melee or magic, this does at the same time raise your skills, like swords, or crystal magic.
but trainers can only raise those skills, NOT attributes. so gold cant raise attributes, only skills.and you cant raise skills forever with gold/trainers, because they are actually limited perks. about 3 for each skill.

with permanent stat potions, you raise attributes. like with glory
and there are a lot of stat potions, about 8 to 12 for each stat.
the game is quite big, 40 to 50 hours for most if you do everything, and you can actually raise every attribute to 100 if you do it right, which means raising every attribute to 60 with glory and do 65 to 100 with stat potions. obviously you will use stat potions only for the late levels because you can save the most glory with that.

of course you have to find all the stat plants for that.

Clydefrog

glory and trainers dont raise the same things.
glory raises attributes like melee or magic, this does at the same time raise your skills, like swords, or crystal magic.
but trainers can only raise those skills, NOT attributes. so gold cant raise attributes, only skills.

with permanent stat potions, you raise attributes. like with glory
and there are a lot of stat potions, about 8 to 12 for each stat.
the game is quite big, 40 to 50 hours for most if you do everything, and you can actually raise every attribute to 100 if you do it right, which means raising every attribute to 60 with glory and do 65 to 100 with stat potions. obviously you will use stat potions only for the late levels because you can save the most glory with that.

of course you have to find all the stat plants for that.

Thanks! I knew that... I should really pay more attention, heh.

I guess I just got confused because raising stats via glory also raises the skills associated with those stats.

stats skills and catskills

arrr matey

It's on Calador, after you travel across the lava stream,follow the path past the turnip farm and keep heading in the direction of the tower in the southeast corner of the island, when you reach the tower head a little to the north and he's in that general area. Be sure to bring one of the companions he traveled with previously for some extra dialogue. Here's a map I swiped from elsewhere: http://i.imgur.com/SEGpUpR.jpg

Thanks for this! I probably bumped into him and didn't realise it or completely missed him haha.

Clydefrog

o4Ziu41.jpg
]

her chin is clipping against her "armor"

Pyrrhus

her chin is clipping against her "armor"

Her boob is clipping through the lace on her corset too. Sort of sloppy work. What's the guy on the right looking at, incidentally? It looks like he's embarassed by her getup and he's rather conspicuously trying to avoid his sister's heaving bosom.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a good "quick look" video of this game anywhere?

I find it odd that Giant Bomb didn't take a look at it.

It's definitely a Vinny game, and he's out on leave at the moment.

Top Bottom