• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 3: Titan Lords |OT| The magic is back

Jag

Cripes, I hope we don't let Durante down. He's sort of a celebrity 'round these parts.

Or as Risen 3 would say the above: "Fucking hell! I hope Durante doesn't think of us as shitbirds now. He'll make me sweep the fuckin' lighthouse."

There does seem to be an over emphasis on profanity. Not that it bothers me, it just seems forced.

Regardless, the game looks good and plays well. I suck at the combat, but like with every other one of these games, i'll go from wimp to godlike quick enough.

Can't wait to get home to play some more!

Durante

Heh, if it's that colorful I wonder if I should play it in English. Was currently planning on German. I'll try both.

Zukuu

Banned
Heh, if it's that colorful I wonder if I should play it in English. Was currently planning on German. I'll try both.

Haha I faced the same dilemma. So far playing in english and it's decent enough. Kinda wanted to play in German, since I recognized a voice actor from Gothic in one of the trailers, but then I heard another guy speak and it sounded kinda bad. I only really cared about Gothic's MC voice and maybe Diego tho, so I think I keep playing in english. Makes talking about quests and the like easier.

Are there permanent potions in the game you can brew? e.g. +Melee or just temporary potion? Need to know, otherwise I don't bother with alchemy.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Are there permanent potions in the game you can brew? e.g. +Melee or just temporary potion? Need to know, otherwise I don't bother with alchemy.

Every PB RPG has had permanent stat up potions, I imagine Risen 3 is no different.

barit

I´m playing it. And I like it so far. Technical it has made a huge step forward (on PC). Looks and performs way better then Risen 2. So kudos for that.

Story and presentation are the same as any Risen/Gothic game. Either you like it or you don´t. It´s one of the good old middle class games that we´re all missing on consoles today.

Dinda

Surprised to read that a few of the german speakers thinking about playing this in English.

German Voices in Games are often so bad that i even play original german Games in English (generally i go mostly with the original language), but i would never even think about it with a PB Game.

Played the tutorial and a bit and really like it so far!

GeneralArrow

Neo Member
Those screen shots make this game look fugly but I enjoyed the first Risen immensely despite its graphical short comings it still created a world that was fun to explore. Risen 2 was really pretty bad though. Might give this one a shot.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
There does seem to be an over emphasis on profanity. Not that it bothers me, it just seems forced.

All PB games are like this. It's like their calling card.

Personally, I find it pretty funny at times.

For instance, someone might say to the main character "I just got back from the store" and his response would be completely over the top like "What the fuck is wrong with you stop wasting my fucking time"

Every PB RPG has had permanent stat up potions, I imagine Risen 3 is no different.
There's the perm stat plants you find, which you can use. Or keep them until you can brew a potion with them and get even higher perm stat ups out of them.

So I'm playing Ps3 version. First the bad -

No anti aliasing. Often a Cinematic framerate. A quite nasty looking LOD effect that uses cross hatching pixels. It looks like freaking Driller on the Commodore 64. A rather overpowering Depth of Field effect, and no option to turn it off like the PC version. My DLC code doesn't work - though the items aren't up on the store yet. I guess they'll be up tomorrow and it will work then though.

The good -

It's very colourful. They haven't muted the colour palette to save on graphic horsepower. The texture work is nice, when the depth of field and the non existent AA aren't conspiring to ruin it.

Actual physics. Grass being pushed aside, items rolling away when bumped into. Nice little environmental effects like birds and a much improved lighting system.

Great music. I'm loving the swear filled dialogue. Not for everyone, but I'll never grow tired of Patty shouting "Fucking Bastards".

Much improved combat, it's early but I'm liking it.

The wonderful GothicRisen 1 feel is back, I had fun with 2, but it had lost something. The exploration and discovery entwined with it is back again. Right at the start, I just turned around and ignored the game asking me to go in a direction - it was only doing this to guide me in the tutorial sense - and was soon up to my neck with tough creatures, stat boosting plants and legendary items, all within 10 minutes of starting the game.

It was great to see locked chests and other goodies beyond reach that I would need to return to later in the game.

Single gold coins, just there for the taking spread naturally in a hidden cranny. Fun loot was so few and far between in Risen 2, but it's back, baby.

One stand out moment for me was upon killing a claw monkey, I noticed the large hulking presence of a Dragon Snapper rounding some foliage to the front of me so I backed off. To my surprise, the Snapper trotted upto the monkeys corpse - had a sniff - then started to eat it. This allowed me to slowly creep around behind him and avoid combat. Awesome!

So it's good old Euro Jank again. Within 5 minutes all the issues had faded away and I was immersed in this wonderful world Piranha Bytes had created once again. Of course this might not be true for everyone, but the game underneath is looking to be a thing of beauty.

Buy the PC version if you can. I could and will be soon, but I want another 100 % trophy/achievement score in a game series I find much joy in. So I'll finish my console version first.

Dinda

I thought the tutorial was absolutely terrible.

However, once the world opened up and you could do whatever you wanted the game became amazing.

yeah, i worded that totally incorrect. I did mean that i didn't play for too long after the tutorial, but already like it. The tutorial itself wasn't great, but i already knew that before playing.

Denton

God dammit this thread. I swore I would not buy this yet because I am still playing New Vegas modded with all DLCs, 80 hours in and nowhere near the end.

But of course after reading some nice impressions I could not resist. 20 minutes ago I added steam trader, bought the game, and now it is already installed and ready.
Gotta love PC gaming :)

Going to try it out for a bit just to see the beginning and how it runs, it is late so I will properly play tomorrow.

Clydefrog

The fighting in this game seems to take up a lot more "space" than the previous games. Monsters (and myself) are dodging a lot like it's a capoeira fight; you have to be real careful if you're in an open area so that you don't encroach on others monsters' territory... dodging a boar three rolls to the right and that giant fuckin snail-thing is gonna charge at you. Now you're pressing F9.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
"capoeira fight" hahahaha

I remember Risen 1 being like that somewhat. You had to pull stronger enemies into open spaces sometimes. At least that was my tactic.

Denton

So I tested it for a bit, made a short video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av2kFuuMJ_k

First impressions are that this is the most colorful game Piranhas ever made, I mean those colors really POP! I am playing on 55" plasma and the game looks quite beautiful maxed, and it runs at 60fps without any drops and any problems or visual glitches. Compared to Risen 2 which was broken at launch (I also made a video of that if you check my channel), this is great improvement.
Combat seems fine so far, it will take a bit of learning but should be fine.
Patty's design is ridiculous (last minute of the video, heh).

One thing that surprised me, the kind of *gasp* cinematic opening, quite unusual for PB game.
BTW the game does not recognize controller automatically, I had to enable it in the options menu where it is pretty well hidden.

Taruranto

Honestly, combat is utter trash. You are basically invincible as long you keep rolling and the companions are immortal.

To think Risen 1 had one of the best battle system in the genre...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just had an awesome moment where I was walking down a path in the jungle at night, and a huge silverback gorilla jumped out of a bush and attacked. Scared the hell out of me.

Clydefrog

I just had an awesome moment where I was walking down a path in the jungle at night, and a huge silverback gorilla jumped out of a bush and attacked. Scared the hell out of me.

I lost my shit when a
giant spider jumped out of a coccoon and knocked me over

Is this game moddable? Would help me overlook certain issues (textures and animations mostly) if I thought they could be fixed by the community down the road.

Karak

Honestly, combat is utter trash. You are basically invincible as long you keep rolling and the companions are immortal.

To think Risen 1 had one of the best battle system in the genre...

Ya combat has some serious issues that's for sure. But there is alot to like. Just alot to dislike too.

Corpekata

Banned
The view distance and pop in are pretty bad. Even on the highest settings I'm rarely in a situation that doesn't have something half loaded in and looking awful. Especially awkward when in conversations and it switches perspectives from you and the NPC and each time the game constantly popping in the background.

Zukuu

Banned
Dunno on which weapon to specialize. I heard magic is also very suitable as melee (you have fire / ice / thunder melee attacks and even combos). Dunno whether piercing, slashing or swords is the best category. If the first vendor is any indicator, Swords suck doing 15-30 damage, where as the piercing weapon does 20-25 and the slashing one 10-40.

The view distance and pop in are pretty bad. Even on the highest settings I'm rarely in a situation that doesn't have something half loaded in and looking awful. Especially awkward when in conversations and it switches perspectives from you and the NPC and each time the game constantly popping in the background.
doesn't happen to me. did you increase the view distance and object detail setting?

Karak

I lost my shit when a
giant spider jumped out of a coccoon and knocked me over

Haha. I thought I had cleared an area and then a damn raccoon spooled out behind me and I heard a splash. I damn near shit.

Another point that scared the shit out of me was on the beach combing for pearls and I was in some bushes and one of those massive crab fuckers tore into me with no warning. I hate their overall look. Very creepy to me.

Corpekata

Banned
Dunno on which weapon to specialize. I heard magic is also very suitable as melee (you have fire / ice / thunder melee attacks and even combos). Dunno whether piercing, slashing or swords is the best category. If the first vendor is any indicator, Swords suck doing 15-30 damage, where as the piercing weapon does 20-25 and the slashing one 10-40.

doesn't happen to me. did you increase the view distance and object detail setting?

Yep, as I said, at the highest settings for everything. It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough to be distracting. Like I just talked to General Magnus, he's in an open area of his town. The camera looks further into the courtyard, and there's a dart-board like thing. One of the NPCs likes to play darts occassionaly and so when talking to Magnus he faded in and out in that boxey fashion (the type of thing Ubisoft games seem to do a lot). Feels like the settings need to be higher.

Zafir

I've got a sword which the upper bracket is 50. Can't remember what the lower bracket is, 20 or 25 maybe.

Jenenser

12 hours in and i am still having a blast.
would recommend to anybody who loved the series.
and the dialoges are pure gold:
Bones while entering a spidercave (roughly translated)
AH, spiders. I dreamed of beeing a spider once. all my prey tasted delicious.
Hero: Cant you dream of woman?
Bones: I dreamed about beeing one too.
so dry, didn't see that coming.
the interactions with your crewmembers are great.
everyone is unique and can be hilarious.

Btw, these usercritics on metacritic are hilarious
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/risen-3-titan-lords?user_review_id=4415707

you don't often see such a direct split its 24/2/24 at the moment
and you see who knew what a PB game is :D

Corpekata

Banned
The MC's voice acting is pretty bad when it comes to the normal stuff but I think he works well when it comes to the comedic stuff, especially when he's in an indignant mood.

Reminds me sort of Two Worlds' 2 main character. Just utterly flat and awkward and times but nails the deadpan stuff and that exasperated "I can't deal with this bullshit" stuff.

I'm trying to enjoy the game, but the camera is seriously stopping me from doing so :/ Whenever I rotate the camera and the character at the same time the camera seems to get "stuck" on nothing, causing some pretty bad jerky movements of the camera. It's like the rotation of the character stops the camera from rotating sometimes, mostly if you try to move in one direction and look in the other. I've tried pretty much everything to fix it (including messing with the camera stuff in the xml files), nothing works.

Sucks because I've been looking for a new open world action RPG to hold me over until Dragon Age...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm trying to enjoy the game, but the camera is seriously stopping me from doing so :/ Whenever I rotate the camera and the character at the same time the camera seems to get "stuck" on nothing, causing some pretty bad jerky movements of the camera. It's like the rotation of the character stops the camera from rotating sometimes, mostly if you try to move in one direction and look in the other. I've tried pretty much everything to fix it (including messing with the camera stuff in the xml files), nothing works.

Sucks because I've been looking for an open world RPG to hold me over until Dragon Age...

I have the exact same problem. Rotating the camera while not walking is smooth as butter, 60 fps . However, rotating left or right while walking is jerky as hell. Tried everything to fix it... I almost think it's buggy controller code in their end.

The weird thing is if you rotate the camera up or down while walking it's super smooth as well. Just left and right while walking is a jerky stutter fest.

So frustrating. However, the game is so damn good I'm playing anyways.

This is with a 660ti at 1080p on a 60hz TV

I have the exact same problem. Rotating the camera while not walking is smooth as butter, 60 fps . However, rotating left or right while walking is jerky as hell. Tried everything to fix it... I almost think it's buggy controller code in their end.

The weird thing is if you rotate the camera up or down while walking it's super smooth as well. Just left and right while walking is a jerky stutter fest.

So frustrating. However, the game is so damn good I'm playing anyways.

This is with a 660ti at 1080p on a 60hz TV
I have a 660ti as well, and the game runs buttery smooth @1080p. I even tried limiting the frame rate to 30 in case it was some weird jump in FPS, still exactly the same. It's definitely something buggy on their side, I had the camera completely stop rotating once even though I had the analogue stick pushed all the way to the left. I don't think it's controller specific though, same thing happens when I use mouse and keyboard.

I'll probably cave in and play anyways soon enough lol.

Corpekata

Banned
When you play mouse and keyboard is your controller still plugged in or registered as a controller? I had a similar problem in another game with a DS4, totally nuking the controller is what fixed it.

Zafir

I've got a 660TI and haven't noticed any issues like that when using a controller? I'm running it at 1440p ultra too.

Only drops I noticed was waterfalls pretty much, lol.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have a 660ti as well, and the game runs buttery smooth @1080p. I even tried limiting the frame rate to 30 in case it was some weird jump in FPS, still exactly the same. It's definitely something buggy on their side, I had the camera completely stop rotating once even though I had the analogue stick pushed all the way to the left. I don't think it's controller specific though, same thing happens when I use mouse and keyboard.

I'll probably cave in and play anyways soon enough lol.

I guess I should also mention that it runs at a smooth 60fps when walking forward as well. It only stutters when rotating the camera left and right while moving.

Strange that we both have 660ti cards. I wonder if it's specific to that particular make, because I've read others having our problem, but many don't.

When you play mouse and keyboard is your controller still plugged in or registered as a controller? I had a similar problem in another game with a DS4, totally nuking the controller is what fixed it.
Hmm, idk if I tried without the controller plugged in or not, ill have to check tomorrow (uninstalled the game out of frustration lol).

I've got a 660TI and haven't noticed any issues like that when using a controller? I'm running it at 1440p ultra too.

Only drops I noticed was waterfalls pretty much, lol.
It doesn't have anything to do with framerate drops, it's literally just something wrong with the camera. Game itself runs perfectly smooth.

What kind of CPU do you have?

I guess I should also mention that it runs at a smooth 60fps when walking forward as well. It only stutters when rotating the camera left and right while moving.

Strange that we both have 660ti cards. I wonder if it's specific to that particular make, because I've read others having our problem, but many don't.
Yea the game runs smooth, even when the camera jerks, no issues with drops in framerate for me. I spent a while studying the camera issue, the rotation really just seems to "stop" and then start moving again, instead of just continuously rotating, and it only happens if you rotate your character while rotating the camera. If you stand completely still, camera rotates perfectly.

What kind of CPU do you have as well?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Hmm, idk if I tried without the controller plugged in or not, ill have to check tomorrow (uninstalled the game out of frustration lol).

It doesn't have anything to do with framerate drops, it's literally just something wrong with the camera. Game itself runs perfectly smooth.

Yea the game runs smooth, even when the camera jerks, no issues with drops in framerate for me. I spent a while studying the camera issue, the rotation really just seems to "stop" and then start moving again, instead of just continuously rotating, and it only happens if you rotate your character while rotating the camera. If you stand completely still, camera rotates perfectly.

I have a core i5 running at 2.8 ghz

Hung_real

I think Demon Hunter is the best faction in PH's universe

I've never felt this cool in any Risen/Gothic game

VgfzxJf.jpg

Zafir

Ya not getting any camera issues either. :? My CPU is a 3570k i5 overclocked to 4.2Ghz.

MayMay

Banned
Want to start playing Risen 3, but I did not play Risen 2 because I just could not deal with it and never got very far into the game. Do I have to rush through it before playing R3 or would a story summary do the job?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Just posted this on the steam forum:

I just found something very interesting.

Try this:

Hold your walk analog stick only slightly forward so your character is just walking. Try rotating the camera now... it's totally smooth for me.

Now, move it slightly forward so the character is running. But not all the way, just to the point where he is running. Try rotating now. This is also smooth for me.

Push full forward on the walk stick, and try rotating again. Now it's hitching all over the place.

EDIT:

I just hooked up my Dualshock 4 using the DS4 to XInput driver hack.

It reduces the jerking and hitching substantially, even with full forward move stick. It's still there though, just very much reduced.

Definitely something wonky is going on with the game's controller code. Seems like maybe a deadzone issue?

Karak

Sucks because I've been looking for a new open world action RPG to hold me over until Dragon Age...

As I said in my review. Its the 4th enemy in the game:) I fought that fucking thing on all versions. Its just wonky and when you break into a finishing move there is no telling what it is going to try to do .

Clydefrog

I'm on Tacarigua and I tried to leave for another island, which caused me to automatically cancel some quests. I need help on
Di Fuego's Body -- I found the body. I need to find out who killed him. I'm stuck!

Top Bottom