• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock and Roll HOF 2017: Tupac Shakur, Joan Baez, ELO, Journey, Pearl Jam, and Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link here.

CNN said:
(CNN)The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2017 has been announced.

This year's inductees are Joan Baez, Electric Light Orchestra, Journey, Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur and Yes.

The group was selected out of 19 nominees.

All of the inductees were first time nominees with the exception of Yes.

This whole thing is stupid but if we're talking about who should receive accolades in this sense for what they've done, it's the Bad Brains

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I hate hall of fames in general, but I especially hate the R&R HoF. There are a metric fuck ton of artists out there. Yet we are only gonna randomly let 5 in a year?

Also somehow last year Yes wasn't good enough to be in the HoF in 15 but somehow are in 16? Like some shit magically changed?

CHC

I hate hall of fames in general, but I especially hate the R&R HoF. There are a metric fuck ton of artists out there. Yet we are only gonna randomly let 5 in a year?

Also somehow last year Yes wasn't good enough to be in the HoF in 15 but somehow are in 16? Like some shit magically changed?

It's just a bunch of old farts thinking things are cool 25 years later than everybody else did. Pointless institution.

It's about time that ELO was admitted. Jeff Lynne is one of the best writers and producers of the rock and roll era. He has to be recognized in the museum.

HRRRUUUSSSS!

Having an exclusive club like the 'rock and roll hall of fame' is antithetical to everything rock and roll stands for. I'm always so surprised more fans, and artists, don't understand that.

Cranster

Banned
Tupac shouldn't be anywhere near the Rock and Roll HOF (Rap isn't the same genre). Once again aswell The Cars won the fanvote and got snubbed.

The%20Cars(78-321-31)300%20300.jpg

Tupac shouldn't be anywhere near the Rock and Roll HOF (Rap isn't the same genre). Once again aswell The Cars won the fanvote and got snubbed.

The%20Cars(78-321-31)300%20300.jpg

For the umpteenth time, it's basically the Popular Music Hall of Fame, and has been for quite some time now. People really need to get over it.

El Odio

Banned
It's about time that ELO was admitted. Jeff Lynne is one of the best writers and producers of the rock and roll era. He has to be recognized in the museum.

HRRRUUUSSSS!
I don't know much or care about the R&R HoF really but as a fellow ELO fan any recognition they get is a plus in my book.

Radiohead for HOF 2018 plz! :)

Excited for Journey if they can get Steve Perry back. Is the new singer being inducted as well?

lupinko

Radiohead for HOF 2018 plz! :)

Excited for Journey if they can get Steve Perry back. Is the new singer being inducted as well?

The photo shows Perry but in general Journey has had so many different incarnations. Not to mention which new singer, Steve Augeri or the current singer, Arnel Pineda?

Also I read they rejected Janet Jackson again.

So Tupac stays winning even in the afterlife.

hiredhand

The nominees were (inductees in bold):
Bad Brains
Chaka Khan
Chic
Depeche Mode
Electric Light Orchestra
J. Geils Band
Jane’s Addiction
Janet Jackson
Joan Baez
Joe Tex
Journey
Kraftwerk
MC5
Pearl Jam
Steppenwolf
The Cars
The Zombies
Tupac Shakur
Yes

It's quite clear and kinda annoying how they favor commercial success (Journey, ELO) rather than actual influence (Kraftwerk, MC5).

I find it funny that they just gave up inducting Chic (this was their 11th nomination) only choosing to award Rodgers "for musical excellence". I guess the anti-disco sentiment is still going strong.

Timeaisis

Yes is the best band nominated, so yay I guess? I don't get why Tupac is there, but they rar hot has been real stupid for a while so whatever.

18-Volt

Rap is sub-sub genre of Rock n roll and has absolutely every right to be there.

R&B came out of classic rock n roll, disco came out of R&B and rap came out of disco.

What weird is the band that started the rap craze hasn't been inducted despite having highest number of nominations: Chic. Nile Rodgers should have been there before likes of The Cars or Tupac or Cheap Trick.

https://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com/images/medium/The%20Cars(78-321-31)300%20300.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
It's just a title, like Racist. It doesn't mean anything!

Will Pearl Jam even accept this? Or will Mookey Blalock

Bad Brains
Chaka Khan
Chic
Depeche Mode
Electric Light Orchestra
J. Geils Band
Jane’s Addiction
Janet Jackson
Joan Baez
Joe Tex
Journey
Kraftwerk
MC5
Pearl Jam
Steppenwolf
The Cars
The Zombies
Tupac Shakur
Yes

It's quite clear and kinda annoying how they favor commercial success (Journey, ELO) rather than actual influence (Kraftwerk, MC5).

I find it funny that they just gave up inducting Chic (this was their 11th nomination) only choosing to award Rodgers "for musical excellence". I guess the anti-disco sentiment is still going strong.
wow

if mc5 isn't rock and roll i don't know what is tbh

Cranster

Banned
Rap is sub-sub genre of Rock n roll and has absolutely every right to be there.

R&B came out of classic rock n roll, disco came out of R&B and rap came out of disco.

What weird is the band that started the rap craze hasn't been inducted despite having highest number of nominations: Chic. Nile Rodgers should have been there before likes of The Cars or Tupac or Cheap Trick.
No, it isn't a sub-genre of rock. It originated from other genre's.

Siegcram

Bad Brains
Chaka Khan
Chic
Depeche Mode
Electric Light Orchestra
J. Geils Band
Jane’s Addiction
Janet Jackson
Joan Baez
Joe Tex
Journey
Kraftwerk
MC5
Pearl Jam
Steppenwolf
The Cars
The Zombies
Tupac Shakur
Yes

Looking at that list, Araki might as well host this thing.

DiscoJer

The Cars? I mean, they aren't terrible, but were they pioneers? Were they the best of their genre? Were they the biggest acts of their day. I'd put them there with Night Ranger or Stone Temple Pilots, solid bands, but not outstanding.. Then again, I'd say the same with Steppenwolf and Jane's Addiction, who are also on the list.

On the flip side, it's astounding that given how influential they are, Joan Baez, MC5, and Kraftwerk weren't already in there.

Cranster

Banned
The Cars? I mean, they aren't terrible, but were they pioneers? Were they the best of their genre? Were they the biggest acts of their day. I'd put them there with Night Ranger or Stone Temple Pilots, solid bands, but not outstanding.. Then again, I'd say the same with Steppenwolf and Jane's Addiction, who are also on the list.
Yes they were pioneers and innovators. They were musically and imagewise all over the map and influenced many alternative bands in the 80's, 90's and 2000's. If The Cars were New Wave then I would argue they were possibly be the best of that particular genre, but they were only called New Wave because nobody knew how to categorize them. They weren't Punk, they weren't Hard Rock or Disco either.

Enzom21

How many inductees aren't part of the rock genre? This argument only pops up when a rapper is nominated but no one says shit when a country star is.

hiredhand

Yes they were pioneers and innovators. They were musically and imagewise all over the map and influenced many alternative bands in the 80's, 90's and 2000's. If The Cars were New Wave then I would argue they were possibly be the best of that particular genre, but they were only called New Wave because nobody knew how to categorize them. They weren't Punk, they weren't Hard Rock or Disco either.
I would definitely count The Cars as new wave. New wave was never really well defined as a genre.

I think the problem with The Cars is that they are kind of a one-album-wonder compared to other big new wave acts already in the Hall of Fame (Elvis Costello, Talking Heads, Blondie, The Police). Their debut is a masterpiece but their other albums aren't nearly as good. Sure Heartbeat City was really popular but for many (including me) that record felt a bit too pop-oriented and commercial.

hiredhand

How many inductees aren't part of the rock genre? This argument only pops up when a rapper is nominated but no one says shit when a country star is.
I don't think there are any straight-up country stars in the Rock'n'roll Hall of Fame.

There are some that have recorded both country and rock (Johnny Cash, The Everly Brothers) but even those are quite rare. For example, Willie Nelson and Dolly Parton are not in the Hall of Fame.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
I don't think there are any straight-up country stars in the Rock'n'roll Hall of Fame.

There are some that have recorded both country and rock (Johnny Cash, The Everly Brothers) but even those are quite rare. For example, Willie Nelson and Dolly Parton are not in the Hall of Fame.

If Johnny Cash isn't country, then I don't know what is.

PillarEN

Wonder if Neil Young will induct Pearl Jam.

Wonder if Suge Knight will induct Tupac :p

P.S. I don't get why they call it the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame either. It's not so you might as well change the name. I would love to see Kraftwerk get recognized in the future, but Rock N Roll? They aren't even close to Rock N Roll. Same goes for Daft Punk when they get nominated. "They used Guitars and drums though. Did you listen to RAM?" Yeah and Eminem has tracks like Sing for the Moment that still doesn't mean he is somehow related to Rock n Roll.
At this point it's a Hall of Fame that leans on rock but it has open arms for pretty much any genre. It's more of a Rock N Roll and Friends Hall of Fame. That's fine if that's what it is. It would be worth renaming the Hall though into something more suitable.

Cranster

Banned
I would definitely count The Cars as new wave. New wave was never really well defined as a genre.

I think the problem with The Cars is that they are kind of a one-album-wonder compared to other big new wave acts already in the Hall of Fame (Elvis Costello, Talking Heads, Blondie, The Police). Their debut is a masterpiece but their other albums aren't nearly as good. Sure Heartbeat City was really popular but for many (including me) that record felt a bit too pop-oriented and commercial.
They are not a one album wonder and as you pointed out Heartbeat City was a huge album in 1984, regardless if it was more pop oriented it was received very well. Candy-O, and Shake It Up were also extremily successful and received well. Panorama was bashed by critics for being more experimental and dark but fans still made it a platnum record. Door To Door however was just released at the wrong time and the band was just about to hang it up at that time.

To say none of their follow up stuff is as good is selling them short as they experimented alot with each record.

I see alot of criticism regarding Country acts getting inducted aswell. Madonna recieved a shit tone of hate when she was inducted too as she is just pop.

hiredhand

If Johnny Cash isn't country, then I don't know what is.
What I meant is that Cash is also an influential figure as a rock'n'roll/rockabilly artist.

Of coarse, he is first and foremost a country artist but many of his most famous songs could be also considered early rock'n'roll recordings (Ring of Fire, Folsom Prison Blues, I Walk the Line).

From Wikipedia:
Cash was a musician who was not defined by a single genre. He recorded songs that could be considered rock and roll, blues, rockabilly, folk, and gospel, and exerted an influence on each of those genres.

18-Volt

It's just a title, like Racist. It doesn't mean anything!

Will Pearl Jam even accept this? Or will Mookey Blalock

Why not? They have inducted many others to hall, including The Who. They would be proud to enter themselves.

No, it isn't a sub-genre of rock. It originated from other genre's.

It is. I think it's just the misconception of definition of "rock n roll". Everybody seems to think hard rock=rock n roll or 2 guitars + 1 bass + 1 drums = rock but it isn't. Anything originated from 50's (Elvis era) Rock n Roll is Rock. Disco is rock. Punk is rock. Funk is rock. Soul is rock. Motown is rock. Synth-pop is rock. Rap is rock.

I'm a king of rock there is none higher. Sucka MC's should call me sire.
To burn my kingdom you must use fire. I won't stop rockin till I retire.

Zizbuka

Banned
When I was a kid, it was a fun time; my dad would take me to Cooperstown for a few days, we'd visit the baseball HOF every day.

Does anyone actually make a special trip to go to the R&R HOF? I've never heard it even mentioned in conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom