• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tupac nominated for Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The award is for influence and significance in the music genre.

Do you feel Tupac was neither influential nor significant?

I don't think you have to have across the board greatest music ever to fit what the award is trying to get at.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
By the symmetric property then, Rock and Roll IS hip hop and rap.

Can't wait for Imagine Dragons to finally get the recognition they deserve from the SOURCE Awards.
Why? Imagine Dragons is not hip hop or rap.
All squares are rectangles, not all rectangles are squares. Symmetric property does not apply.

Cranster

Banned
image.php
The Cars > Tupac

Hell, Poison is far more talented than Tupac and I can't stand Poison as they are a joke of a band.

Cranster

Banned
Don't lie to yourself bruh
Did Tupac play no less than 2 musical instruments and play them live? Didn't think so.

Most members of The Cars were proficient with multiple musical instruments, that in itself makes them far more talented than Tupac ever was. Let alone his genre of music should not be in the Rock "n" Roll Hall of Fame.

Bad Brains deserve to get in, even if the lead singer became super crazy these past few years.

Also, how long til Gene Simmons protests adding Tupac to the list?

Shmuppers

Tupac made rock music? Or is that not how that works?

The award is for influence and significance in the music genre.

Do you feel Tupac was neither influential nor significant?

I don't think you have to have across the board greatest music ever to fit what the award is trying to get at.
Oh ok.

Did Tupac play no less than 2 musical instruments and play them live? Didn't think so.

Most members of The Cars were proficient with multiple musical instruments, that in itself makes them far more talented than Tupac ever was. Let alone his genre of music should not be in the Rock "n" Roll Hall of Fame.

You realize a rapper utilizes his voice like a instrument as he uses different flows, cadences, rhyme patterns and structures.

How can you claim this genre of music shouldn't be in the Rock "N" Roll Hall of Fame when Rock N Roll is built off of Black music, and has acknowledged and inducted numerous Blues, Gospel, Doo Wop, R&B, Soul, and Funk artists. Hip hop is a natural evolution of Black music and like other Black genres has impacted Rock music from a production standpoint, to actually rapping.

"rock and roll" hasn't defined a specific style of music in like 60 years and we still have to have these conversations. Is Metallica "rock and roll"? How about Chicago? Or Hall and Oates? Even if you exclude rap, the artists that make up the existing "rock and roll hall of fame" as is couldn't be any more different from each other as far as musical style is concerned, yet the minute you put a rapper in there people lose their shit.

Why? Imagine Dragons is not hip hop or rap.
All squares are rectangles, not all rectangles are squares. Symmetric property does not apply.

Except Rap and Hip Hop isn't Rock and Roll, or anything even close to it. That's not to trash the genre, it just that they are two different thing. Hip Hop is more focused on spoken word, rhyme and rhythm backed by an beat, which can come from different sources. However, more often than not, the focus of a rap or hip hop song is the rapper himself, and his rhymes.

Rock, especially Rock and Roll, on the other hand, has its main focus on guitars, or perhaps other string instruments depending on the genre (acoustic guitar for Folk Rock or Sitar for Psychedelic Rock, to give some examples). There have been rock songs with no vocals whatsoever, especially in the Progressive Rock subgenre (looking at you, Rush). That being said, different genres of rock can place more or less emphasis on certain elements (Glam Rock is very flashy, and focused on the singer, with David Bowie's personas being like how rappers are today), but the focus on the guitar or other instrument is a hallmark of the genre.

I'm not saying Hip Hop is bad, I like the genre, but it isn't rock. If the Hall of Fame wants to bring in other musical acts like Tupac (or like they already did with NWA) they should change their name.

And for those saying that it's dumb to argue against Tupac when Joan Baez is on the list, Baez was in the folk rock genre, same as Bob Dylan.

Also, why the hell hasn't Yes got on there yet! They're pioneers of the Progressive Rock genre.

Cranster

Banned
You realize a rapper utilizes his voice like a instrument as he uses different flows, cadences, rhyme patterns and structures.
So? Every musician does it and rock musicians are better at it.

How can you claim this genre of music shouldn't be in the Rock "N" Roll Hall of Fame when Rock N Roll is built off of Black music, and has acknowledged and inducted numerous Blues, Gospel, Doo Wop, R&B, Soul, and Funk artists. Hip hop is a natural evolution of Black music and like other Black genres has impacted Rock music from a production standpoint, to actually rapping.
When artists like Def Leppard are in the Rap Music Hall of Fame, then you would have a point. The fact is though Rap is a separate genre from Rock and regardless of whom Tupac influenced he was not a Rock musician so therefore does not belong in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame as don't Madonna and other non-rock musicians. Other far more influential Rock musicians are getting snubbed because of this.

So? Every musician does it and rock musicians are better at it.

When artists like Def Leppard are in the Rap Music Hall of Fame, then you would have a point. The fact is though Rap is a separate genre from Rock and regardless of whom Tupac influenced he was not a Rock musician so therefore does not belong in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame as don't Madonna and other non-rock musicians. Other far more influential Rock musicinas are getting snubbed because of this.

A Rock musician couldn't write and rap like Tupac does. He's an icon. Two different musical standards.

There's a better argument that Hip Hop has become the new Rock and Roll tbh.

"rock and roll" hasn't defined a specific style of music in like 60 years and we still have to have these conversations. Is Metallica "rock and roll"? How about Chicago? Or Hall and Oates? Even if you exclude rap, the artists that make up the existing "rock and roll hall of fame" as is couldn't be any more different from each other as far as musical style is concerned, yet the minute you put a rapper in there people lose their shit.
Metallica, Chicago and Hall and Oates are all artists in subgenres of Rock and Roll. Rappers and hip hop artists are in an entirely different genre of music.

It's fine if they want to add these artists, but they should change the name of the Hall if they're going to expand the scope of who they're adding. If you're going on what actually influenced the genre of rock and roll then there are dozens of bands who deserve the nomination before Tupac. Tupac has done a lot for music, but not much for Rock and Roll.

This is like nominating Wayne Gretzky for the baseball Hall Of Fame and being surprised that people are questioning why he's on the list when there are plenty of worthy baseball players who still arent in. Like, it doesn't matter that Gretzky is one of the greatest atheltes of all time, he never played baseball and it's odd to try and put him in a Hall of Fame dedicated to an entirely different sport than the one he was proficient in.

Cranster

Banned
wow, 2 garbage opinions in a row - that's some lovely bias you've got there
You honestly think rock vocalists don't use a variety of rhymes, cadences, flows and structures?

A Rock musician couldn't write and rap like Tupac does. He's an icon. Two different musical standards.

There's a better argument that Hip Hop has become the new Rock and Roll tbh.
A rap artist couldn't write Bohemian Rhapsody or Back In Black.

You honestly think rock vocalists don't use a variety of rhymes, cadences, flows and structures?

LOL What does that have to do with anything? My point is they're both equally great relative to their music.

Metallica, Chicago and Hall and Oates are all artists in subgenres of Rock and Roll. Rappers and hip hop artists are in an entirely different genre of music.

It's fine if they want to add these artists, but they should change the name of the Hall if they're going to expand the scope of who they're adding. If you're going on what actually influenced the genre of rock and roll then there are dozens of bands who deserve the nomination before Tupac. Tupac has done a lot for music, but not much for Rock and Roll.

This is like nominating Wayne Gretzky for the baseball Hall Of Fame and being surprised that people are questioning why he's on the list when there are plenty of worthy baseball players who still arent in. Like, it doesn't matter that Gretzky is one of the greatest atheltes of all time, he never played baseball and it's odd to try and put him in a Hall of Fame dedicated to an entirely different sport than the one he was proficient in.

The company that owns the Rock and Roll hall of fame (it's a record label) are dictating what the requirements for entry are, and just co-opting the name because it's catchy. It's like "pop music". It doesn't mean anything at this point. Getting into the RnR Hall of Fame is about as prestigious as getting a Star on the Hollywood walk of fame. It's like getting mad that Mary Hart has one. "She's not a real star like Frank Sinatra!" You guys read way too much into it.

I'm not denying your categorization of particular musical genres and styles, you are 100% right. I'm saying in terms of the Hall of Fame and other uses (Frank is a rockstar in the real estate world! "But what instruments does he play!?'l) it hasn't abided by that strict definition in a long time. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducts people based on A) who will agree to show up and B) what will garner the most attention/ratings.

The company that owns the Rock and Roll hall of fame (it's a record label) are dictating what the requirements for entry are, and just co-opting the name because it's catchy. It's like "pop music". It doesn't mean anything at this point. Getting into the RnR Hall of Fame is about as prestigious as getting a Star on the Hollywood walk of fame. It's like getting mad that Mary Hart has one. "She's not a real star like Frank Sinatra!" You guys read way too much into it.

I'm not denying your categorization of particular musical genres and styles, you are 100% right. I'm saying in terms of the Hall of Fame and other uses (Frank is a rockstar in the real estate world! "But what instruments does he play!?'l) it hasn't abided by that strict definition in a long time. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducts people based on A) who will agree to show up and B) what will garner the most attention/ratings.
I agree. That's why I think they should just change the name. It doesn't accurately reflect what the Hall is for anymore. It's obviously just a general music HoF now.

Also, I think Rock Star has a different meaning than Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Like you said, Rock Star is a broad generalization, while Rock and Roll is a specific genre that is still used. Even if they changed it to Rock Star HoF it would make more sense. It sounds dumb, but it at least shows that it's supposed to expand past the genre of Rock and Roll.

The Cars > Tupac

Hell, Poison is far more talented than Tupac and I can't stand Poison as they are a joke of a band.

Worst post I've read in quite a while. Poison is fucking dogshit.

Black Sabbath is in, but that's all I can think of. In general the HoF ignores independent music in favor of the mega-artists. The Cure, The Smiths, and Sonic Youth are still not in.

Yeah, no doubt. I'm Ok with The Smiths not being in the HOF given Morrissey's stance on shit like that. One of my favorite bands ever.

You know, it's kind of funny. The people most likely to accuse hip hop of advocating misogyny, violence, and all sounding the same tend to be really, really big AC/DC fans.

Just saying.

I agree. That's why I think they should just change the name. It doesn't accurately reflect what the Hall is for anymore. It's obviously just a general music HoF now.

Also, I think Rock Star has a different meaning than Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Like you said, Rock Star is a broad generalization, while Rock and Roll is a specific genre that is still used. Even if they changed it to Rock Star HoF it would make more sense. It sounds dumb, but it at least shows that it's supposed to expand past the genre of Rock and Roll.

Bruh, there are much bigger fish to fry; the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has yet to induct Rosetta Tharpe, the Godmother of Rock and Roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWB_1OBWskU

Bruh, there are much bigger fish to fry; the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has yet to induct Rosetta Tharpe, the Godmother of Rock and Roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWB_1OBWskU
I'm with you man. There are a lot of odd choices in the HOF even if you remove the Rap and Hip Hop stuff. I said as much earlier in the thread. There are bands that helped shape or create entire sub genres that haven't even been on the ballot.

It's pretty clear that they favor popularity over significance.

I'm with you man. There are a lot of odd choices in the HOF even if you remove the Rap and Hip Hop stuff. I said as much earlier in the thread. There are bands that helped shape or create entire sub genres that haven't even been on the ballot.

Well from what I've read the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame committee primarily consists of old White guys and there tends to be a sense of snobbery amongst them about what's "real" Rock music to them.

sasliquid

No problem with Tupac nominated. Several hip hop artists have been inducted before and embody the spirit of rock n roll.

The real issue is that joy division, new order and the smiths have never been inducted, while Kraftwerk have only been nominated. American bias right there

Well from what I've read the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame committee primarily consists of old White guys and there tends to be a sense of snobbery amongst them about what's "real" Rock music to them.
That's not surprising. I'm pretty sure that's the case for literally every Hall Of Fame committee out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom