• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tupac nominated for Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionPride

Banned
Bruh, you actually said this...

That's a lot different than what you're trying to back track to.

How am I trying to backtrack? I don't think he is the GOAT,I don't think he was really good as a rapper, merely aight, and I still think he is massively overrated after his death. How does any of that show I think my opinion holds more weight?

IrishNinja

I know how loved Pac was before death, I honestly think it wasn't warranted based off of his music he had at the time though. I've given it that college try in regards to Pac, but much like Nas, Common, or countless other rappers, I just don't like his music and don't believe he deserves to be called the greatest of all time

damn, so you dont like pac, nas or com? that's...something

Overrated pop star just like Biggie.

well there's a garbage-tier opinion right there

Matty77

They join past nominees who are back on the list: Chaka Khan, Chic, Janet Jackson, J. Geils Band, Joe Tex, Kraftwerk, MC5, The Cars, The Zombies and Yes.

The J. Geils Band? They only had 2 or 3 "hit" songs. None of which I'd call influential.
Because while J. Geils may not have had commercial success to a great extent, he was pretty influential among musician especially in the blues rock scene and other places where the two styles converged.

And how much you influenced other musicians should hold more weight than records sold, especially when the statement posted earlier about their criteria is shaping the genre which he definitley helped do.

Saganator

How am I trying to backtrack? I don't think he is the GOAT,I don't think he was really good as a rapper, merely aight, and I still think he is massively overrated after his death. How does any of that show I think my opinion holds more weight?

I don't want to get into some age thing, but Pac (and Biggie) was already considered GOAT by many before he died. You're trying to claim he's ascended to that status after his death, which is simply not true. You could try wording your posts a bit different and you won't get quote bombed, or just not say shit like "hey the rapper that millions of people think is one of the GOAT is actually just overrated because he was killed."

Same goes for your comments about Cobain. You're viewing the 90's with a 2016 lens. Cobain may not be some musical genius, but you can't deny Nirvana changing the rock scene in a big way, saying otherwise is revising history.

LionPride

Banned
I don't want to get into some age thing, but Pac (and Biggie) was already considered GOAT by many before he died. You're trying to claim he's ascended to that status after his death, which is simply not true. You could try wording your posts a bit different and you won't get quote bombed, or just not say shit like "hey the rapper that millions of people think is one of the GOAT is actually just overrated because he was killed."

Same goes for your comments about Cobain. You're viewing the 90's with a 2016 lens. Cobain may not be some musical genius, but you can't deny Nirvana changing the rock scene in a big way, saying otherwise is revising history.

I admit, my age definitely plays a role in my feelings on Pac. I did do a lot of reading for a while and it just didn't seem like he or Biggie were considered the GOAT. I don't really care about folk comin after me for my opinions, they mine and likely won't change anytime soon.

In regards to Cobain, it seems like he definitely affected a portion of the 90s with his music, Pac also had an big influence. Pac is the reason my favorite rapper exists, that doesn't mean I have to appreciate his music if I don't
Personal opinions ain't right. On music.
Typically at this point I'm asked who do I think are top rappers of all time as if that will change opinions as to why I dislike who I dislike

Saganator

I admit, my age definitely plays a role in my feelings on Pac. I did do a lot of reading for a while and it just didn't seem like he or Biggie were considered the GOAT. I don't really care about folk comin after me for my opinions, they mine and likely won't change anytime soon.

Typically at this point I'm asked who do I think are top rappers of all time as if that will change opinions as to why I dislike who I dislike

No one is trying to change your opinion. I personally think you could do a better job of stating your opinion with out shitting on others.

Sorry to derail. I actually don't mind rappers getting into the Rock 'n Roll HOF, rock and hip hop have a lot in common with their rebellious roots.

edit: oh and Nas, Big L, and Eminem are my GOATs :)

Banglish

I wouldn't even say age has anything to do with it. I was born 5 years before his death and to me, he is absolutely the GOAT. Pretty sure Bob Marley and Michael Jackson were also considered GOAT's before their deaths as well. These performers were all before my time, I recognize them as the greats (or greatest) of their genres. They've had the most impact on their subcultures and not only to their specific subcultures, they've transcended race, religion, borders - which is why they are considered GOAT. Maybe his style of rap doesn't suit you, but that doesn't mean it didn't hit millions upon millions of others in a certain way.

LionPride

Banned
No one is trying to change your opinion. I personally think you could do a better job of stating your opinion with out shitting on others.

Sorry to derail. I actually don't mind rappers getting into the Rock 'n Roll HOF, rock and hip hop have a lot in common with their rebellious roots.

edit: oh and Nas, Big L, and Eminem are my GOATs :)

I've never been a big Nasir guy, he's someone I'll actively shit on with no remorse. As well As Em, but I do respect you

I can do a better job of stating my opinion, that's something I gotta work on

I wouldn't even say age has anything to do with it. I was born 5 years before his death and to me, he is absolutely the GOAT. Pretty sure Bob Marley and Michael Jackson were also considered GOAT's before their deaths as well. These performers were all before my time, I recognize them as the greats (or greatest) of their genres. They've had the most impact on their subcultures and not only to their specific subcultures, they've transcended race, religion, borders - which is why they are considered GOAT. Maybe his style of rap doesn't suit you, but that doesn't mean it didn't hit millions upon millions of others in a certain way.

Here's the thing in regards to Marley and MJ, I believe their music output coincides with the idea they are the GOATs in their field. Prince is the same way

I've never been a big Nasir guy, he's someone I'll actively shit on with no remorse. As well As Em, but I do respect you

Here's the thing in regards to Marley and MJ, I believe their music output coincides with the idea they are the GOATs in their field. Prince is the same way

Who are your top favorite rappers? Just curious.

Speely

Banned
Folks... let people dislike Pac. Literally every artist nominated for the Hall of Fame has had people who don't like them. Pac's impact on music is undeniable, but if folks take issue with his artistry... Well it is certainly not timeless (as evidenced here) and if it was it would be timeless and impregnable.

I love Pac, but goddamn if I can't see why some folks don't. I am happy to see him nominated. :)

Ridley327

I had no idea that neither The Zombies nor Yes hadn't been inducted yet. I know that the HOF has always had weird attitudes towards British acts that haven't sold a billion records combined, but one of the biggest British Invasion acts that still get plenty of play on oldies stations and one of the goddamned cornerstones for prog rock? Motherfuckers be trippin'.

LionPride

Banned
Who are your top favorite rappers? Just curious.

Not in order

All Time
Kendrick
Kanye
Jay-Z
Rakim
Andre 3K/Big Boi (I always group em together even though separately they are fanfreakingtastic)
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
Method Man

Now
Kendrick
Future
Kanye
Chance
.Paak
Mick Jenkins
ScHoolboy Q
Travis Scott

Groups/Duos
Wu-Tang
Beastie Boys
ATCQ
Outkast
Bone Thugs
UGK
8-Ball and MJG
Mobb Deep
Goodie Mob

Kid Ying

When i saw i was "what?" But things changed and that's the way it is.

The institution is pretty much a joke though, but Pac deserves it. Still the GOAT. AIC deserved it too, but they will never be remembered.

I had no idea that neither The Zombies nor Yes hadn't been inducted yet. I know that the HOF has always had weird attitudes towards British acts that haven't sold a billion records combined, but one of the biggest British Invasion acts that still get plenty of play on oldies stations and one of the goddamned cornerstones for prog rock? Motherfuckers be trippin'.
There are certain (AKA unpopular) genres of Rock that get the shaft in the HOF.

Metal/Punk/Prog are all missing hugely influential artists.

Banglish

Ahh so it comes down to output. Well it's unfortunate he died at 25 hey lol.

In regards to Cobain, it seems like he definitely affected a portion of the 90s with his music

It can't be overstated how much Nirvana flipped the scene on its head. Literally one minute you had Guns n Roses' November Rain, this drawn-out, bloated ego-stroke playing on MTV, and the next minute Smells Like Teen Spirit comes on like a chainsaw. I mean almost immediately GnR was old news has-beens and people and record labels wanted more of this "grunge" music. Nirvana, along with Pearl Jam, changed the course of rock music in a way that hasn't been seen since. And the closest thing historically I can think of would be Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show, and then the Beatles with the English Invasion.

LionPride

Banned
Ahh so it comes down to output. Well it's unfortunate he died at 25 hey lol.
Yeah, I ain't a fan of people talking about what he could've done

It can't be overstated how much Nirvana flipped the scene on its head. Literally one minute you had Guns n Roses' November Rain, this drawn-out, bloated ego-stroke playing on MTV, and the next minute Smells Like Teen Spirit comes on like a chainsaw. I mean almost immediately GnR was old news has-beens and people and record labels wanted more of this "grunge" music. Nirvana, along with Pearl Jam, changed the course of rock music in a way that hasn't been seen since. And the closest thing historically I can think of would be Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show, and then the Beatles with the English Invasion.

Holy shit do not bring up Pearl Jam, if there is one band I dislike more than CCR, it's Pearl Jam

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Hip hop and rap are Rock and Roll. They are not however "rock music" which is where some people might be confused.

Kid Ying

That time was great. I remember everyone shunning GnR for not being "rock" enough and things just got worse with their clips like estranged where they spent gazilions to make Slash play guitar walking on water (which is pretty cool, but no one wanted to admit cause we were listening some pretty serious shit like even flow, lol )

I actually like seeing someone like Lionpride because i don't know if that happened with everyone, but i'm already at a point of time where i only listen to old music and stuff and seeing his top makes me feel like "wow, music is not dead. I just got old and fucking boring". Thank god. I tried to hear this Kendrick guy and he sucks though.

Banglish

Holy shit do not bring up Pearl Jam, if there is one band I dislike more than CCR, it's Pearl Jam

LOL. You're the one that brought up output in the first place. Don't bring it up if you don't want it to be refuted. It's all hypothetical anyway. Regardless, the amount of work he did - him and Biggie, with the amount of time they had... both of their rises to west coast and east coast king positions, it's interesting you feel neither of them can be considered GOAT tier.

LionPride

Banned
LOL. You're the one that brought up output in the first place. Don't bring it up if you don't want it to be refuted. It's all hypothetical anyway. Regardless, the amount of work he did - him and Biggie, with the amount of time they had... both of their rises to west coast and east coast kingpin positions, it's interesting you feel neither of them can be considered GOAT tier.

I said his output before he died was music I ain't like. I don't like people talking about the potential someone had, I base my feelings on someone based off of their music that was out and about

I just have never really liked Biggie or Pac's music. Like a few songs here and there, but I like a few Desiigner songs too, doesn't mean much for someone to only like a few songs

ahoyle77

Are you the same one that dislikes Nas and Tupac, now PJ too? I didn't know that existed.

Banglish

I said his output before he died was music I ain't like. I don't like people talking about the potential someone had, I base my feelings on someone based off of their music that was out and about

I just have never really liked Biggie or Pac's music. Like a few songs here and there, but I like a few Desiigner songs too, doesn't mean much for someone to only like a few songs

100% we're about his studio albums right now. Look, All Eyes on Me went diamond. I didn't even know their was a diamond certification before that. Even if you only like a couple of songs here and there, you can't just dismiss the effect he's had on cultures and people, to the same extent Biggie as well. Dead or alive. I only like a couple Kanye songs here and there, I also think he's sort of a douche. But, for sure I can't take away he's been one of the most influential rappers of our time.

I wont deny the effect pac's death had on his popularity but the man was literally at the top of rap prior to his death... I know all eyez on me is an uneven album now but the singles that came out had PAC dominating the radio airways at the time . From California Love to how do you want it, two of america's most wanted...all about you... his tracks were constantly being played on radio...then you had hit em up etc...

LionPride

Banned
100% we're about his studio albums right now. Look, All Eyes on Me went diamond. I didn't even know their was a diamond certification before that. Even if you only like a couple of songs here and there, you can't just dismiss the effect he's had on cultures and people, to the same extent Biggie as well. Dead or alive. I only like a couple Kanye songs here and there, I also think he's sort of a douche. But, for sure I can't take away he's been one of the most influential rappers of our time.
Tupac was influential, I even said as much. He is part of the reason K.Dot is doing what he does. Biggie had an impact as well. I just don't like their music
Are you the same one that dislikes Nas and Tupac, now PJ too? I didn't know that existed.

I also don't like Pink Floyd if that makes you feel better

Tupac was influential, I even said as much. He is part of the reason K.Dot is doing what he does. Biggie had an impact as well. I just don't like their music

That's fine if you don't like Tupac but
If only Tupac was a really good rapper and not someone overrated because of their death

That's really an issue for a few artists

That's not what you said...

steveovig

I have to be honest, and I'm a huge rap fan, but IMO he shouldn't get in. To me, his catalog is a bit overrated to be in the HOF. Some of his songs were deep and meaningful but some of them were artless filler.

I'm not sure on Biggie either but I guess if NWA got in, with that last album, Biggie should get in. IMO, Straight Out of Compton was a classic but the follow-up was junk except for a couple good tracks.

Lemaitre

Banned
As a lyricist, Eminem is one of the greatest. As a rapper with sustained, good music? Hell to the no.

I honestly think Pac much like Cobain, is overrated musically because of their untimely deaths

I can't believe how many people are ignorant to 2Pac's black political consciousness rooted in his blank panther background. That's the big selling point for him, and that will forever set him apart from Eminem/B.I.G./WuTang/whatever.

Edit: It also agrees with the induction with N.W.A. who were very politically conscious in their early records. I'd say that's what they are being nominated for, that they gave a voice to persecuted minorities in a way that no other group (or artist) had done before.

LionPride

Banned
That's fine if you don't like Tupac but

That's not what you said...
I don't believe he was really good, I think he was decent but not really good. Sorry not sorry

I can't believe how many people are ignorant to 2Pac's black political consciousness rooted in his blank panther background. That's the big selling point for him, and that will forever set him apart from Eminem/B.I.G./WuTang/whatever.

I'm not ignorant to it, I know a lot about it, I've watched and listened to interviews

Banglish

Right so if we're talking about influence.. jesus I forgot Nas wasn't there either. With Biggie, Nas and Pac being the sole influences for artists such as Kendrick (Pac), J.Cole.(Pac and Biggie), Logic(Nas) .. it still doesn't make sense for them to be in the GOAT tier list right.. lol bruh.

Not in order

All Time
Kendrick
Kanye
Jay-Z
Rakim
Andre 3K/Big Boi (I always group em together even though separately they are fanfreakingtastic)
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
Method Man

Now
Kendrick
Future
Kanye
Chance
.Paak
Mick Jenkins
ScHoolboy Q
Travis Scott

Groups/Duos
Wu-Tang
Beastie Boys
ATCQ
Outkast
Bone Thugs
UGK
8-Ball and MJG
Mobb Deep
Goodie Mob

Dude.....LACK OF NAS!!!!!!!!!

LionPride

Banned
Right so if we're talking about influence.. jesus I forgot Nas wasn't there either. With Biggie, Nas and Pac being the sole influences for artists such as Kendrick (Pac), J.Cole.(Pac and Biggie), Logic(Nas) .. it still doesn't make sense for them to be in the GOAT tier list right.. lol bruh.

I enjoy one of those artists mate

I can acknowledge that an artist I don't like influenced my favorite rapper and still not like that rapper and don't believe they're GOAT

Dude.....LACK OF NAS!!!!!!!!!

Don't like him

Banglish

I enjoy one of those artists mate

I can acknowledge that an artist I don't like influenced my favorite rapper and still not like that rapper and don't believe they're GOAT

Don't like him

I sincerely believe that you don't have to like any of them, but at least understand why they are considered GOAT amongst most. Also, I'm not saying what the popular idea is, is necessarily correct. But, I've given you enough to prove my point and you don't have much to back up yours so.. I'll leave it at that lol.

Not in order

Now
Kendrick
Future
Kanye
Chance
.Paak
Mick Jenkins
ScHoolboy Q
Travis Scott

Groups/Duos
Wu-Tang
Beastie Boys
ATCQ
Outkast
Bone Thugs
UGK
8-Ball and MJG
Mobb Deep
Goodie Mob

Jesus Christ dude... Pac is unquestionably better than 85% of people and groups right there

LionPride

Banned
I sincerely believe that you don't have to like any of them, but at least understand why they are considered GOAT amongst most. Also, I'm not saying what the popular idea is, is necessarily correct. But, I've given you enough to prove my point and you don't have much to back up yours so.. I'll leave it at that lol.

I kinda understand, I just don't agree in the slightest.

Jesus Christ dude... Pac is unquestionably better than 85% of people and groups right there

I'll say he's better as a rapper than Future and Travis Scott...that's it

Banglish

I kinda understand, I just don't agree in the slightest.

I'll say he's better as a rapper than Future and Travis Scott...that's it

My job is done then. :)
I was never out to make you agree, just help you understand a little bit more why some of us feel this way.

EYEL1NER

I don't mind Tupac being up for nomination. I don't think it is some crazy stretch for him to be eligible, so code ring some of the other acts that have gotten in. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum is a soulless corporate joke though. I love the article "A Letter from Cleveland" that Jim DeRogatis wrote back in '96 (hell, I just love all of Jim's articles and writings); here's an excerpt:
Wenner added my name to the list of voters shortly before he canned my ass. The ballot was forwarded in the mail to Minneapolis too late for me to vote, but it arrived with a nifty little "Voter Information Booklet" chock full of useful history. "The Bee Gees have three calling cards when it comes to Hall of Fame consideration: popularity, artistry, and impact," it stated; "nothing will ever come close to the magic of the Mamas and the Papas when they were the Sight and Sound of the Summer of Love," and so on. There was also a handy cassette featuring one song by each nominee (Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama," Sabbath's "Paranoid," the Mamas and the Papas' "California Dreaming"). Such is the grasp one must have on rock history when trusted with the task of determining Hall of Famer from non-Hall of Famer.

I try not to get bent out of shape over the snubs or get worked up over people finally getting admitted, since the R&R HoF is largely bullshit and meaningless. I have to admit that I was super-happy when Rush finally made it in a couple years back though, so I guess I buy into it from time to time.

How the hell is Depeche mode a first time nominee, their first single were in the 70s.

Not to mention the huge influence they had on music and the amazing commerical success

Pearl Jam didn't age so well, but they were a template for many other bands of the period. Nirvana was definitely the lightning rod, and their music has stayed relevant 20 years later.

I actually like seeing someone like Lionpride because i don't know if that happened with everyone, but i'm already at a point of time where i only listen to old music and stuff and seeing his top makes me feel like "wow, music is not dead. I just got old and fucking boring". Thank god. I tried to hear this Kendrick guy and he sucks though.

Music is far from dead, but rock music has been on life support for a while. Most people are either doing synth pop or trying to play producer on Soundcloud. Most of the interesting rock bands these days are actually fronted by women, which is cool.

I'll have to disagree with you on Kendrick though. He's a powerful voice and creative visionary; even Bowie was a fan.

LionPride

Banned
That time was great. I remember everyone shunning GnR for not being "rock" enough and things just got worse with their clips like estranged where they spent gazilions to make Slash play guitar walking on water (which is pretty cool, but no one wanted to admit cause we were listening some pretty serious shit like even flow, lol )

I don't trust people who say Kendrick sucks. There's a reason one of his songs were heavily used by BLM, why David Bowie liked him, why he is one of the most respected artists in rap

Now J. Cole? Fuck him

Also, I hope I never fall into that listening to old music thing. I'm 17 and want to consistently listen to new music. While I love Chance and Kendrick, I like Rae Sremmurd and D.R.A.M. too. I also like Bon Iver if we're talking about non hip hop. As well as Halestorm, Nico Vega, and so many more artists who don't fit what people think I listen to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom