• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 dropped to $20, and you really should consider buying it

Alucrid

Banned
I don't have any plastic instruments. I left all mine at my friends house so it would be his problem to deal with.

vg260

If you have an ounce of decency as a gamer and a plastic instrument sitting around, you should buy this game. Heck, if you believe in developers making games they love, you should buy this game for $20.

Colocho

Banned
As I much as I still (yes, still) love the plastic rhythm games, I feel that ever since they went for more "well known" songs, the fun factor really dropped as opposed to the first few Guitar Hero games, because plenty of those songs just don't translate all that well into the game.

SlickVic

I'll consider it when Amazon is selling it for $20. Right now it's from some 3rd party seller so don't get free Prime shipping. Seems like a fun game to play over the summer, especially since I haven't played these rhythm games for a while.

Daigoro

a Master Ninja said:
Tough crowd.
a really nice way of putting it. id be banned in a heartbeat if i said what was on my mind now.

i bought it day 1 and got way more than my money's worth.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Remember when we thought that Rock Band was a platform and the DLC was going to constitute the new releases?

Good times.

Not only that, but they made it so if you want to keep buying new dlc you HAVE to have the newest game. Pretty sneaky.

Falagard

RB3 is easily the best of the bunch, simply because of the ability to rate songs and sort by rating, as well as the simple drop in / drop out mechanic which is especially needed for parties.

If you liked RB 1 and 2 and have bought some DLC songs then 3 is a no brainer.

Ridley327

Ickman3400 said:
Not only that, but they made it so if you want to keep buying new dlc you HAVE to have the newest game. Pretty sneaky.
RB3 has been the only game that's been like that, though. Hell, the Country Track Pack 2 works just fine across all three games.

KaYotiX

Banned
Daigoro said:
a really nice way of putting it. id be banned in a heartbeat if i said what was on my mind now.

i bought it day 1 and got way more than my money's worth.
Same, i love the rockband series. Some ppl here for whatever reason treat it like it killed their dog

Articalys

I do have a question, though -- how much of the new DLC has keyboard support, and I heard you can play guitar parts on the keyboard too, is that true?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
The setlist is amazing if you play all the instruments.

Only people I hear bash it are guitar only players.

Ridley327

Articalys said:
I do have a question, though -- how much of the new DLC has keyboard support, and I heard you can play guitar parts on the keyboard too, is that true?
Keys can play guitar and bass parts right away, although I'd imagine songs like Thrasher would be somewhat impossible for those with bad pointer fingers.

Keys support has been healthy in the DLC and they've actually done a really good job of offering songs that are a lot more interesting than most of the on-disc setlist.

woodypop

Bought it w/keyboard day one. Hated that it dropped Stage Kit support. But they eventually fixed that.

Still love RB, especially with friends over. The DLC has been really good, too. At $20, RB3 would be a no-brainer if I didn't already have it. Now maybe RB Green Day will drop to $10, and I'll bite on that.

2&2 said:
If you have an ounce of decency as a gamer and a plastic instrument sitting around, you should buy this game. Heck, if you believe in developers making games they love, you should buy this game for $20.

I doubt many people at Harmonix still love Rock Band.

They've been making the same damn game for 6 years straight now.

xbhaskarx

I haven't played Rock Band in like a year (at least I think it's been that long), but I bought this for $20.

Of course now that I'm playing again I will be forced to look through the recent DLC and I'll probably end up spending another $20-30.

Questions for Rock Banders: Can I transfer all my Rock Band 2 songs over to my hard drive? Does every song transfer? Does it cost money and if so how much? What's the cheapest I can get a RB3 keyboard?

Xevren

Meier said:
did the make the achievements any easier to obtain? My biggest beef with the music genre..

If you have the instruments they aren't tooooo bad. But you need a pro guitar, keyboard, and pro drums to be able to get them all. So if you're anal about your achievements prepare to spend some money.

Struct09

xbhaskarx said:
Questions for Rock Banders: Can I transfer all my Rock Band 2 songs over to my hard drive? Does every song transfer? Does it cost money and if so how much? What's the cheapest I can get a RB3 keyboard?

Most of the songs export from RB2, it costs $10.

Again, any people play with Pro instruments on a regular basis to give a good evaluation?

I play real guitar, so I've been interested in if this mode for a while. Curious if it has hooked anyone.

Guess I'll go back and search the official thread.

CaLe

I actually bought the game with the keyboard, it's been sitting there due to my ever increasing backlog.

Damn me, damn me to hell.

I liked Rock Band, didn't like Rock Band 2, would I like this one?

Mind you, it would be mainly just me playing it as my RB group kind of moved to different parts of the US now.

Ridley327

VGChampion said:

Mind you, it would be mainly just me playing it as my RB group kind of moved to different parts of the US now.
What didn't you like about RB2? This may or may not determine whether you should get RB3. Maybe.

cj_iwakura

Pump It Up and Beatmania are still going. Rhythm gaming ain't dead yet.

They helped start the genre, they'll see it through.

Chris R

bucknuticus said:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Setlist is better than 2 but worse than 1. But if you are only buying the game for the game's setlist... you have bigger issues.

DLC is what makes the game. I love RB3, shame more people didn't buy, but if you have a plastic guitar, pick this up at these prices. Keyboard stuff is great, gameplay has been streamlined, ect ect ect.

CartridgeBlower said:
Again, any people play with Pro instruments on a regular basis to give a good evaluation?

I play real guitar, so I've been interested in if this mode for a while. Curious if it has hooked anyone.

Guess I'll go back and search the official thread.

The game doesn't do a good job of teaching you anything. What it does is give you an interface to play on a fake plastic guitar or Squier and get a score at the end.

If you already play guitar, I don't see what it has to offer. It's best as a beginners aide to get in to the concept of playing guitar (but even then it's not exactly good)

Ridley327

amtentori said:
hows the wii version?

RB2 importing, etc.
Backbone did the port, so that should tell you a lot of things right there. It does have the easiest RB2 export method, though, as it just scans for a RB2 save file and asks you to fork over $10 after that.

ghibli99

I was a huge RB/RB2/BRB fan... I preordered RB3 and was really excited when I finally got it. For some reason, though, we just haven't been able to get into it like we have past versions, even w/ the discrete cymbals on drums now. I have the keyboard, too, and even that additional new challenge isn't doing much for me.

$20 is a great deal, though, no doubt. Really wish I would've waited instead of dropping $130 on the game/KB bundle.

marrec

Banned
bucknuticus said:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Dvjdb.gif

Got the pro drum kit for Christmas. Imported everything, bought DLC, now have over 300 songs. I've played for at least an hour every day and have significantly improved and love it. Some serious problems with cymbals double-hitting and kick pedals breaking though...

Just bought the keyboard last week, and went from being unable to hit any notes to having a ton of fun. Plus, I can then go upstairs to my piano and play a little on the real piano. "Go play a real instrument?" I kind of am with drums/keys in the most gamey way possible so far. The trainers for those do translate in some capacity to real life. And anyway, I'm not exactly in this to learn a real instrument. I already play trombone. I'm in this to PLAY A GAME AND HAVE FUN.

Plus, 4 years later, Rock Band is still instant fun at every random get-together of my twentysomething friends, their wives, my siblings, etc. And Rock Band 3 is the most accommodating to that casual scene yet.

So all of this dismissive crap I'm reading here? Don't care. I'm with OP. Game is damn fun and damn worth it.

butter_stick said:
The game doesn't do a good job of teaching you anything. What it does is give you an interface to play on a fake plastic guitar or Squier and get a score at the end.

If you already play guitar, I don't see what it has to offer. It's best as a beginners aide to get in to the concept of playing guitar (but even then it's not exactly good)

What it would offer with Pro Guitar is a better form of karaoke.

Kinda in the same exact way the mic and drums already work in Rock Band...right?

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Bought. I play these music games in spurts so I never really burn out on them.

Thanks for the head's up.

Aaron

VGChampion said:

I was the same way, so yeah probably. RB3 is really a refined game with no niggles or other little annoyances remaining. If I have one complaint the track list isn't that hot, but importing and dlc takes care of that.

Hmm. The only music game I've ever owned was Guitar Hero Aerosmith, and that's because it came with a guitar for $10. I Goozex'd the game but the guitar is collecting dust in my closet. Maybe I'll pick this up on a whim.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Ridley327 said:
Backbone did the port, so that should tell you a lot of things right there. It does have the easiest RB2 export method, though, as it just scans for a RB2 save file and asks you to fork over $10 after that.

I had RB1 and 2 for 360 and got RB2 for wii when I sold the console. I was impressed that the port was so good.

Dont really care about RBN... extra $10 might make me wait for a bit...

Meier

Xevren said:
If you have the instruments they aren't tooooo bad. But you need a pro guitar, keyboard, and pro drums to be able to get them all. So if you're anal about your achievements prepare to spend some money.
Nah I just mean that 99% of musical achievements in earlier incarnations required mastering songs on expert and I just can't nor have any interest in doing that. Is it still that way?

Top Bottom