• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 3 dropped to $20, and you really should consider buying it

CartridgeBlower said:
What it would offer with Pro Guitar is a better form of karaoke.

Kinda in the same exact way the mic and drums already work in Rock Band...right?
True, but the thing is if you own a guitar, you don't need the game to play karaoke to a song. And if you don't know how to play a song, the game isn't the best way to learn neccesserily.

I had a Mustang and played Pro Bass a fair bit, eventually I realised playing along with my real bass to YouTube videos of the game is more fun than the game. And for anything too complex to "sightread", a tab or Guitar Pro file is a better learning tool.

Ridley327

Meier said:
Nah I just mean that 99% of musical achievements in earlier incarnations required mastering songs on expert and I just can't nor have any interest in doing that. Is it still that way?
The only major expert related achievement is getting five stars on every on-disc song, but you can spread that across every instrument. There's a couple of other expert-related achievements, but they're not hard at all.

ghibli99 said:
I was a huge RB/RB2/BRB fan... I preordered RB3 and was really excited when I finally got it. For some reason, though, we just haven't been able to get into it like we have past versions, even w/ the discrete cymbals on drums now. I have the keyboard, too, and even that additional new challenge isn't doing much for me.

Yup this happened to me too. Me and the friends played the fuck out of RB2, mostly for DLC but also for the harder RB2 songs like Painkiller and Battery but none of us could get into RB3 for long. I hated both games' setlists overall but that didn't stop me from pouring hundreds of hours into RB2 and learning how to play drums pretty well. It just didn't click with 3.

The only reason I would have any interest in picking this up is because it might allow me to learn how to play the keyboard in pro mode. I have a MIDI keyboard... there is some sort of adapter you can buy for it to use it in the game, right?

ArachosiA 78 said:
The only reason I would have any interest in picking this up is because it might allow me to learn how to play the keyboard in pro mode. I have a MIDI keyboard... there is some sort of adapter you can buy for it to use it in the game, right?
Yes, there is a midi adaptor. For the last few months, it's been hard to come by. Especially for 360.

wetwired

Wow, I didn't realize RB3 was doing so badly, I have always meant to pick it up at some time when the price comes down, because the Guitar Hero franchise flooded the market the games always dropped in price by a lot a few months after release and I was always happy to wait.

Fuck I picked up Rock Band Beatles for AUD$15 brand new 6 months after release, with that kind of precedent why would I pay AUD$90 on release?

I was actually a massive GH\RB whore and snapped up pretty much every release, except aerosmith\van halen\metallica and the most recent GH release and RB3 I pretty much had them all. The fact that I can mention that many titles that I DON'T have and still look at a huge stack of games in my collection still is pretty telling at how saturated the market was.

Anyway I'll grab this when the price drop comes to Australia and I'll be importing all my RB1\RB2\Lego Rock Band\AC\DC\DLC until my HDD explodes and then I'll buy some more DLC until I'm broke.

Doesn't bode well for RB4 though :(

SlickVic said:
I'll consider it when Amazon is selling it for $20. Right now it's from some 3rd party seller so don't get free Prime shipping. Seems like a fun game to play over the summer, especially since I haven't played these rhythm games for a while.

This is my plan as well. I already bought the keyboard and Beatles premium set to take to a party, while my friend got the actual game. I've spent probably $500 on rock band gear, games, and dlc. Publishers wanted to make as much money as possible as fast as possible, and they made a lot, and now the well is dry. Those of you blaming the customers can eat a dick.

RB3 sure seems to get a bum rap around these parts.

This is a great game and a steal for only $20.

If you have RB1 & RB2 you can import all the songs into RB3.

The DLC has been unbelievable to be honest.

People are very disingenuous when they down play the quality of the DLC songs we've been getting. I appreciate that the 5 lane gameplay structure has limits, and you can get burned out if you've been playing these last 5 years, but you can't argue with the quality of the songs available.

The Pro mode is great for Drums and gives the hardcore fake guitar players another level of challenge.

People knock the Pro mode tutorials but they do the job really well and I can't see a better method to start learning guitar. If you are serious it would be worth taking lessons with a teacher, but RB3 does a good job of building up muscle memory and creating a foundation which is a huge part of learning an instrument, a bit like the Suzuki method.

I do think it is a huge help if you have other people to play with, the game is much more fun as a full band activity. I got Lego Rock Band to start my kids on the game and we play regualrly as a four piece.

The DLC deserves its own post as the depth and varitey is so great.

seat

I don't have a toy guitar. If the $20 included a quality name-brand guitar (which is what I was expecting based on the thread title), I would have gotten a copy. Otherwise, pass.

I considered it when I saw the post on CAG, I still don't own it.

I made my thoughts on RB3 known here. I think the game itself is a HUGE step back from 2. The setlist is fine, but pretty much everything else sucks.

The musical instrument genre is dead IMO. Long live our Dance X overlords.

P.S. - Anyone want to buy my collection of plastic instruments? =(

styl3s

I would but i don't own any of the toy guitars or drums, and im not paying what they want for them.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Didn't like the tracklisting, the fact that it is $20 doesn't change the fact that I don't like the tracklisting.

Brashnir

2&2 said:
If you have an ounce of decency as a gamer and a plastic instrument sitting around, you should buy this game. Heck, if you believe in developers making games they love, you should buy this game for $20.

Does the developer even get any money from this anymore? EA kicked them to the curb.

And $20 is too much to be giving to EA and their bullshit anti-consumer policies.

Chris R

SS4Gogita said:
I'll get this once the MIDI Pro Adapter stops being ridiculously overpriced
Only one that was overpriced were the PS3 ones via Ebay. Now that BestBuy.com is shipping them again (yes, even the PS3 version) no need to hold out.

Gaming Truth said:
I considered it when I saw the post on CAG, I still don't own it.

I made my thoughts on RB3 known here. I think the game itself is a HUGE step back from 2. The setlist is fine, but pretty much everything else sucks.

The musical instrument genre is dead IMO. Long live our Dance X overlords.

P.S. - Anyone want to buy my collection of plastic instruments? =(
After they patched the highway to be readable, RB3 became vastly superior to RB2. I have no idea what aspect of RB2 you could prefer other than possibly the graphical style, or possibly the online play.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Buy RB3, buy the Billy Joel packs.

The setlist is amazing now.

EDIT: Also buy the Valentines Day pack of singles. Probably one of the best singles packs the genre has gotten.

Ridley327

Brashnir said:
Does the developer even get any money from this anymore? EA kicked them to the curb.

And $20 is too much to be giving to EA and their bullshit anti-consumer policies.
You're mixing things up here; EA has nothing to do with Rock Band outside of distribution (it's the same deal that Valve has with the boxed copies of their games). Viacom were the ones that owned Harmonix and they've since cut ties. It's always been Harmonix's IP, so they get whatever money is due.

Sp3eD said:
Buy RB3, buy the Billy Joel packs.

The setlist is amazing now.

EDIT: Also buy the Valentines Day pack of singles. Probably one of the best singles packs the genre has gotten.
So basically you like bad music for drunk old people.

Xevren said:
Play a real instrument already, god.

Brilliant logic:

Get in a real street fight already, god!

Go fly a real F-22 already, god!

Go drive around the real Laguna Seca already, god!

Go step on turtles in a real sewer already, god!

Basically stop having fun you jerkfaces! Real racers, fighters, plumbers, and wanna-be musicians are sick of your crap game playing losers.

Mileena

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
Brilliant logic:

Get in a real street fight already, god!

Go fly a real F-22 already, god!

Go drive around the real Laguna Seca already, god!

Go step on turtles in a real sewer already, god!

Basically stop having fun you jerkfaces! Real racers, fighters, plumbers, and wanna-be musicians are sick of your crap game playing losers.
He was kidding.

Ridley327

swoon said:
Was the Joy Division DLC announcement an april fools joke?
Not only was it not a joke, but they accidentally leaked it out the day they announced the Days of Peace pack and the Dragonforce singles; we've known about it for two weeks!

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
It was in the sense we could have gotten something awesome like Weird Al or We Built This City.

woxel1

This is the only game I'd suggest getting for the DLC alone. Since the game launched, it's been pack after pack of classic tunes.

Also, if you have to get one pro instrument, make it the drums.

butter_stick said:
After they patched the highway to be readable, RB3 became vastly superior to RB2. I have no idea what aspect of RB2 you could prefer other than possibly the graphical style, or possibly the online play.

Score Duel
Mic Sensitivity
The game actually calibrates properly

<-- iMad

toymachine said:
Score Duel
Mic Sensitivity
The game actually calibrates properly

<-- iMad
Oh yeah, score duel. Fuck Harmonix.

Seeing as everyone else has managed to calibrate it, you should probably aquire professional help.

There has been so much DLC released since RB3 came out, even if you exclude RBN from the numbers, 180 songs have been released in the first 6 months, this is an average of 7.5 songs a week, with at least 2 Pro guitar songs. Every song has keyboards and Pro Drums. There are a total of 176 tracks with Pro Guitar/bass, 94 DLC tracks plus the RB3 on disc songs.

There was a splurge of legacy DLC that came out in October to clear the decks for the release of RB3, 32 songs were released. Unfortunately these don't have keyboards or Pro Guitar Mode, but they do represent a great last hurrah for the legacy DLC. The stand outs were the 8 song REM pack and 12 song Jim Hendrix pack.

So the main type of DLC since RB3 release has been classic rock. This can be broke into Greatest Hits and Full Albums/Album Tasters

Billy Joel, Bon Jovi, The Doors, Bee Gees, Queen, Johnny Cash, Bob Marley, Pat Benatar have all received the greatest hits treatment with packs of six songs or more. David Bowie recieved a five songs pack, Lynryd Skynyrd received a four songs pack.

For the albums we got full editions of John Lennon's Imagine and The Clash's London Calling. We got four tracks from Nine Inch Nails debut album Pretty Hate Machine. We got three tracks from Paul McCartney & Wings Band on The Run album.

New music DLC has definately suffered with RB3.

We got a good 6 pack for Linkin Park, Jimmy Eats World got a 3 pack, Sour Stone got a 3 pack, 1 song for Death Cab for Cutie, 1 song for Ok Computer,

The Valentine's Day pack was a special treat as we finally got some Jim Steinman in the game with Meat Loaf's Paradise by the Dashboard light and Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart, and also The Human League Don't You Want Me.

Other mainstream classics that made it into the game include The Police Every Breath You Take, New Order Blue Monday, Procul Harum A Whiter Shade of Pale, Bad Company Can't Get Enough, Santana Black Magic Women.

I use the http://www.rockbandaide.com/ site for my DLC needs, they have an embedded Grooveshark for hearing most DLC as it is announced, they then collect the links to thenewnoelisoncruz youtube page for his full band playthroughs. http://www.youtube.com/user/thenewnoelisoncruz

I haven't mentioned RBN as that is another can of worms for someone else to open.

rObit

Banned
I will do it AMN. I WILL DO IT.

I haven't played GH or RB in so long, I could go for 80 new songs with all the upgrades.

Plastic guitar ready.

6u11z.gif

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
rhfb said:
Only one that was overpriced were the PS3 ones via Ebay. Now that BestBuy.com is shipping them again (yes, even the PS3 version) no need to hold out.

I'm talking about the 360 one. eBay and Amazon both have them for around $60-70.

Initially I checked and didn't even see the 360 one listed on Best Buy's website. I rechecked and found it, but they don't even have it stocked at any store close to me. The cheapest shipping option from there with tax ends up being $52, which isn't as bad, so I might think about it.

Edit: Just checked again and I'm going to be visiting my hometown tomorrow and they just happen to have a store within a mile of where I'm staying that has it in stock. Will definitely pick it up now :)

Stackboy

I bought this on launch in Australia and love it. Only downside is we don't get access to RBN down here, but all the other DLC is top notch (still, I would kill for the Band of Horses and RX Bandits tracks to be available to a far south dweller like myself).

Rock Band is the game of this generation for me.

Chris R

SS4Gogita said:
I'm talking about the 360 one. eBay and Amazon both have them for around $60-70.

Initially I checked and didn't even see the 360 one listed on Best Buy's website. I rechecked and found it, but they don't even have it stocked at any store close to me. The cheapest shipping option from there with tax ends up being $52, which isn't as bad, so I might think about it.

Edit: Just checked again and I'm going to be visiting my hometown tomorrow and they just happen to have a store within a mile of where I'm staying that has it in stock. Will definitely pick it up now :)

Amazon had them in stock for $40 for quite some time. Only recently did they go out of stock it looks like. You should be able to find one in a Best Buy though. Both BBs I've visited had 360 adapters, only 1 had Wii ones, and neither had PS3 ones (over the three weeks I've been checking 3/4 times a week :( )

You could also look at ordering direct from MadCatz. http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=4832&idCategory=323 Looks like there is a coupon for 10% off and free ground shipping.

HankToms

Doesn't the new DLC they release every week work with RB2? I already have RB2, so what would buying the $20 game give me? I don't want to buy the keyboard, so would getting RB3 be just for the songs on the game disc?

Xevren

HankToms said:
Doesn't the new DLC they release every week work with RB2? I already have RB2, so what would buying the $20 game give me? I don't want to buy the keyboard, so would getting RB3 be just for the songs on the game disc?

RB 3 dlc doesn't work with RB 2. RB 3 has stuff, but I'm too lazy to detail it.

HankToms said:

You can fail songs and still have it be scored online. That's a nifty feature

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
butter_stick said:
The singer animations in RB3 are enough reason to only buy it at $10 if you're on the fence.
I'm still shocked what they did to the animations for Rock Band 3. They're fucking terrible compared to how everything was animated in RB 1 and 2. Having the singer stuck to the mic stand was one of the worst decisions ever.

Regardless, $20 for RB 3 is not a bad price at all. It's worth it, even if the setlist isn't fun to play. Also, I still have no urge to pick up a keyboard. It just came too late.

Rock Band 3 isn't even about the band anymore. It's just solo progress.

Top Bottom