• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band DLC Announcements

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
The Lamonster said:
but EA Games is DRM hog wild!

Can someone please confirm or deny?

In this equation EA is just the physical distributor, they don't have any hand in RB's DLC side.

Hop

Next round of official DLC:

Dio – “Holy Diver” +
Dio – “Stand Up and Shout” +
Juliana Hatfield – “Nirvana”
Morrissey – “Irish Blood, English Heart”
Silverchair – “Straight Lines”
The Smiths – “This Charming Man” +
Underoath – “Writing on the Walls”

Price:

$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points) per song

$2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per song

Here's the real WTF: "Writing on the Walls" is currently sitting at 75% in RBN Peer Review.

Morrissey and The Smiths? Huh.

Also, the only Smiths song I really want is "How Soon is Now?"

edit: "This Charming Man" is a good pick though after listening to it.

Hop

allegate said:

Normally you can kinda go by groups of 3 to determine if more is coming. They rarely license just two songs. So there's one Smiths here, one on RB3... should we expect a third down the line somewhere, or does Morrissey count as the third?

All I'm saying is, I don't know if there's hope for "How Soon is Now" or not.

Ridley327

How Soon is Now is universally agreed upon as being their most well-known song, so it's certainly possible that they're saving it for a rainy day once RB3 is out. The song being very heavy on the keys is certainly in its favor.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Why the FUCK are they releasing Dio as DLC before Rock Band 3? Holy Diver would be a perfect song for pro guitar. Goddamn it, Harmonix.

OH MY GOD MORRISSEY AND THE SMITHS!!!

Seriously, after having to go through the damn trouble of getting EU people to buy me Suedehead and Everyday is Like Sunday on Singstar, I'm so happy to see him on an American music game. I think the only other Moz-related song in the US is This Charming Man on Singstar Legends.

EYEL1NER

Wow...we finally get Dio.
And we don't get Rainbow in the Dark OR Last in Line.

Fuck you HMX.

EDIT: Yeah that was my bad. Forgot about it, since I'm not too hyped on RB3's setlist.

HOLY DIVER AND THIS CHARMING MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TWO OF MY FAVORITE ALL TIME SONGS!!!!!!!!!
I'VE BEEN WANTING THEM IN RB SINCE DAY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<is not Isamu

vg260

Hopefully Dio's The Last in Line will come later after RB3. It's too epic to have passed up. They really needed to do a Dio 6-pack.

2&2 said:
Hopefully Dio's The Last in Line will come later after RB3. It's too epic to have passed up. They really needed to do a Dio 6-pack.

Seriously, I hope this isn't all we get from Dio and The Smiths.

Might as well ask now: has there been 100% confirmation you can sing with three mics with old dlc in RB3. People keep telling me to look at Beatles but that stuff was programmed with 3 part harmonies in mind. I just want to know that my friends and I can belt out Holy Diver together Bang Camero style come next month.

Also, any world on the drum kit with 7 pads? I saw it in Game Informer but you can't pre-order it at Gamestop. I need to get another drum kit and figured to spring for that one but I've not seen it made available anywhere.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
robut said:
Seriously, I hope this isn't all we get from Dio and The Smiths.

Might as well ask now: has there been 100% confirmation you can sing with three mics with old dlc in RB3. People keep telling me to look at Beatles but that stuff was programmed with 3 part harmonies in mind. I just want to know that my friends and I can belt out Holy Diver together Bang Camero style come next month.

Also, any world on the drum kit with 7 pads? I saw it in Game Informer but you can't pre-order it at Gamestop. I need to get another drum kit and figured to spring for that one but I've not seen it made available anywhere.

Question 1 - Old DLC will have to be updated with 3 part harmonies in songs that have actual harmony vocals. However, just like Beatles and Green Day, you will be able to use 3 mics to sing single parts (IE you can play solo vocals with 3 mics going all at once so everybody can sing the same part). There is no reason this shouldn't work with old DLC as it is an engine thing.

Questions 2 - You can get a 7 pad drum set right now. Get a RB2 kit and the three cymbal pack. This will all work with RB3. However the new cymbals are apparently much better so I would at least wait for those to launch (sites say Oct 19th). The main kit should be almost identical from the RB3 / RB2 versions.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Would have preferred a different Moz song but the Smiths track is wonderful.

I'm overjoyed by this.
Time to play RB for the first time in months.

Ridley327 said:
How Soon is Now is universally agreed upon as being their most well-known song, so it's certainly possible that they're saving it for a rainy day once RB3 is out. The song being very heavy on the keys is certainly in its favor.
It's so well known I didn't even know it was a Smiths song until someone gave me the greatest hits album. :lol

this weeks' PS3 RBN:

Asking Alexandria - "The Final Episode (Let's Change the Channel)"
Bang Camaro - "Nightlife Commando"
Bang Camaro - "Swallow the Razor"
Jonathan Coulton - "Shop Vac"
Quartered - "Africa"

meh, needs more Band of Horses

drmcclin said:
this weeks' PS3 RBN:

Asking Alexandria - "The Final Episode (Let's Change the Channel)"
Bang Camaro - "Nightlife Commando"
Bang Camaro - "Swallow the Razor"
Jonathan Coulton - "Shop Vac"
Quartered - "Africa"

Boooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

I just want Crash Years! Argh!!

Hop

allegate said:
It really seems like the PSN songs are coming from a certain cluster of artists.

And a certain cluster of authors. Which I'm not part of. Grumble grumble.

xbhaskarx

Morrissey – “Irish Blood, English Heart”
The Smiths – “This Charming Man” +

Fuck yeah, finally. Although I'm disappointed we're getting one song each instead of a larger pack.

allegate said:

This Charming Man is superior to How Soon is Now in every possible way, Charming Man is one of their five best songs.

How Soon is Now is the type of song that is preferred by people who make statements like "the only Smiths song I really want is How Soon is Now?"

dallow_bg said:
Would have preferred a different Moz song but the Smiths track is wonderful.

Agreed, my first choice for Moz would probably have been First of the Gang.

xbhaskarx said:
This Charming Man is superior to How Soon is Now in every possible way, Charming Man is one of their five best songs.

How Soon is Now is the type of song that is preferred by people who make statements like "the only Smiths song I really want is How Soon is Now?"
Indeed, hence my statement "It's so well known I didn't even know it was a Smiths song until someone gave me the greatest hits album." I wasn't a fan of The Smiths - didn't even know about them, for that matter - until about one to two years ago when I got that album. I can't help it that the song I like the most is the one I've heard the most.

Hop

One last spot of RBN for the week:

The Gracious Few - Appetite || full version (160 MSP) || trial version
Mike Orlando - Burn || full version (80 MSP) || trial version

And the RBN edition of Writing on the Walls is being pulled. I would've looked at it as a good learning experience, compare my work to Harmonix's, but I have a feeling mudrock (the author) is gonna be a bit grumpy over the whole thing.

Nisa65

Archie said:
Why the FUCK are they releasing Dio as DLC before Rock Band 3? Holy Diver would be a perfect song for pro guitar. Goddamn it, Harmonix.

The riffs in Holy Diver aren't exactly the most difficult to figure out on your own tbh.

Surprised Corkscrew hasn't been in here shooting his load over the Dio DLC.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Will get the Smiths song.

So how is the Snoop DLC? I haven't heard any impressions yet, I'll probably pick up a few songs down the road.

Charron said:
And the RBN edition of Writing on the Walls is being pulled. I would've looked at it as a good learning experience, compare my work to Harmonix's, but I have a feeling mudrock (the author) is gonna be a bit grumpy over the whole thing.

There's no real reason why he shouldn't be. I guess it shows how little attention Harmonix are paying to RBN if a song they've authored, presumably months ago, can be on the service.

xbhaskarx said:
Agreed, my first choice for Moz would probably have been First of the Gang.

Honestly, I'd love to see some stuff from Years of Refusal...I think that would fit RB so well. That, or We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful. :D

Hop

Snuggler said:

So how is the Snoop DLC? I haven't heard any impressions yet, I'll probably pick up a few songs down the road.

From what I've heard the re-records are good and fitting to Snoop's live show.

butter_stick said:
There's no real reason why he shouldn't be. I guess it shows how little attention Harmonix are paying to RBN if a song they've authored, presumably months ago, can be on the service.

Our direct contact with Harmonix is three people. Matt, Christine, and Jess. None of them are on the audio team, that's a whole different crew. Only the audio team knows all the upcoming DLC. (Well, legal probably does too, but they probably forget faster and/or care less.) The audio team doesn't pop by RBN, they have no idea what's in that pipeline. The RBN team doesn't pop by the audio area, so they have no idea what's in that pipeline. Could they communicate? Sure. They probably should and probably do. But they can't reveal upcoming DLC anyway, so they can't really go to authors (who can be loose-lipped at times) and say "pull your song, we're doing it officially".

I will say, I'm surprised they don't have an obvious contingency plan in place. And if anything, licensing should prevent this from happening in the first place, the rights holder should be smart enough to realize they're being asked to give the material for the same game twice and say "naw, sorry, we're already doing that".

Hop

So there's rumor that VH1 announced/leaked Bob Marley's Legend album as DLC on the 21st. Not about to make a thread for it yet, but if it does wind up true it's certainly worthy of one...

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The Lamonster said:
but EA Games is DRM hog wild!
Can someone please confirm or deny?
Shit you buy on live works either ON THE CONSOLE YOU BOUGHT IT or WHEN THE GAMERTAG WHERE YOU BOUGHT IT IS LOGGED IN

Any permutation works, AS LONG AS ONE OF THOSE IS MET.

Daigoro

Charron said:
So there's rumor that VH1 announced/leaked Bob Marley's Legend album as DLC on the 21st. Not about to make a thread for it yet, but if it does wind up true it's certainly worthy of one...

oh shit. :eek:

Snuggler said:

fucking awesome. i played a few tracks this last weekend with friends and we had a blast.

Hop

Quite belated, after some technical issues. Today's RBN:

Audible Mainframe - Radioland || full version (160 MSP) || trial version
Breathe Carolina - Hello Fascination || full version (160 MSP) || trial version
Freen in Green - Erratic Eruption || full version (80 MSP) || trial version
Justin Joseph Edwards - I Want You to See || full version (80 MSP) || trial version
Pink Flag - Dirty Hair Party || full version (80 MSP) || trial version
Rivethead - Difference || full version (160 MSP) || trial version
Terror - Stick Tight || full version (160 MSP) || trial version
The Get Up Kids - The One You Want || full version (160 MSP) || trial version
The Riptides - Dial M for Murder || full version (80 MSP) || trial version

Apparently Breathe Carolina is a big deal from the forum reactions, and Justin Joseph Edwards marks our first official Jazz track.

Just FYI:

On the 360 version in the Rock Band Music Store (in game), they messed up the purchase screen for the Dio songs. If you select "Holy Diver" it downloads "Stand Up and Shout." Select "Stand Up and Shout" it downloads "Holy Diver." The Rock Band screen says you bought the correct thing, but the file downloaded is for the other song.

Thankfully, I wanted both songs.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Charron said:
Isn't Get Up, Stand Up in RB3, though?

Why release it as DLC a month before? Unless they just release the album without it.

Hop

distantmantra said:
Never heard of them before. Based on a quick glance of their Wiki page, they're a Warped Tour band.

Ah, there's your problem.

Of course, I'm looking to sign my own Warped Tour group, so I guess I'm part of the problem. But I need my moneys.

Top Bottom