• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ROCK BAND Strat reliability thread - report in here

Grifter

Mine just died after 3 plays of minor play, and I had a band going today. =(

Are you guys just plowing through guitars? Or are the replacements better?

Is EA living up to the statement of shipping within 2 days?

Angelcurio

I hate having to post on this thread, since it would mean bad news (for me). Got my game bundle on thursday, kept playing only the drums. Today, a couple of friends came to my place and we decided to give a try to the Multiplayer World Tour. After less than an hour, the Strum bar on my guitar stopped working properly.

It detects up strums, but not downstrums. And to make things worse i imported the game from the states, so sendindg the game back for a replacement is going to be a nightmare.

Is there a way of actually fixing the guitar?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I still haven't sent in my Strat that crapped out a month ago. At the time, downstrumming failed, then upstrumming failed shortly after. About a week ago, upstrumming started working perfectly, (still no downstrum) then crapped out again.
I tried strumming up and down a bunch with the controller disconnected today. Now it works perfectly for downstrums again, but doesn't work at all for upstrums. Somebody let me off of this roller coaster.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Finally put in my order for my coffin. My guitar died about 3 days after launch. How long did it take most people to receive their coffin? For the record I went with normal delivery, so my box will be empty.

cjdunn

Sooo, I was just at Best Buy and they finally had the bundle in stock again. On the box is a big, yellow sticker that reads something to the effect of, "If you have any problems do NOT return it to the Best Buy store, instead contact http://support.ea.com/rockband."

The boxes were dated October 30th.

I wasn't going to buy one, but just noteworthy.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
speculawyer said:
I don't know if my Strat will ever break because I'd rather use the wireless Les Paul from Guitar Hero 3.

Ditto. Day One working Strat here. Used only five times!

Angelcurio said:
I hate having to post on this thread, since it would mean bad news (for me). Got my game bundle on thursday, kept playing only the drums. Today, a couple of friends came to my place and we decided to give a try to the Multiplayer World Tour. After less than an hour, the Strum bar on my guitar stopped working properly.

It detects up strums, but not downstrums. And to make things worse i imported the game from the states, so sendindg the game back for a replacement is going to be a nightmare.

Is there a way of actually fixing the guitar?

Welcome to my world. I paid 350$ for shipping to Finland and my strum bar broke down in a few days. Couldnt be fixed, so I had to send it back via a friend and I've yet to get the new one back though EA did ship it very fast in a week to my friend. Still, after all this hassle, the game is fucking worth the money.

wow, this thread scared me into RMA'ing a strat just as precautionary measure. guitar seems to be working fine, but im convinced it's inevitably going to take a poop.

Grifter said:
You crazy folks get off my friends list. The Strat strummer poopies all over the click bar.

but the whole strat itself feels like a piece of shit.

toss up, I guess. Clicky strum bar and well-built, reliable and wireless.. or silent strum bar, cheap feeling hollow plastic and wired.

Grifter

I'm not sure how the smooth cheap plastic on the Strat is any worse than the textured cheap plastic on the LP, I prefer the former in every way (love the fret button placement and feel, the neck, the size) except for the LP's weight and wireless-ness. Prefer X-plorer's buttons to LP's.

My buddy had a problem w/the LP's contacts, was that widespread?

My Rock band Strat is all jacked, i had EA ship me a box to ship them the defective unit and then i would get a new one.

I just got the box.. How long do you think it will take? For the time being till after X-mas i would rather use this one for now to play bass when i have friends over then not have one at all..

Angelcurio

RiotPelaaja said:
Welcome to my world. I paid 350$ for shipping to Finland and my strum bar broke down in a few days. Couldnt be fixed, so I had to send it back via a friend and I've yet to get the new one back though EA did ship it very fast in a week to my friend. Still, after all this hassle, the game is fucking worth the money.
I paid $280 for the whole package. And yeah, the saddest part of the story is that the game is extremely good, specially the drums part. It really feels like playing real drums. Since sending it back its going to cost me a lot of money, i will wait until upstrumming stops working.

AstroLad said:
Ditto. Day One working Strat here. Used only five times!

Yeah, the only time my strat has been used is when I had a crowd over to play Rock Band . . . but even then, I have an X-plorer from GHII that has a longer cord which was often used instead of the strat. But even though it works better than the strat (I don't like the strat strum bar), the Strat looks much better than cheapo looking X-plorer.

oneHeero

Maybe I'm a scrub and suck, but my guitar still works and I got mine on launch... Is it because I play on medium/Hard only? I dont play everyday but I played alot @ start and still play often enough.. I've had it since launch..

TheGrue

I have now replaced one guitar, one set of drum pads, and just submitted for my bass drum pedal to be replaced since it split in half. Believe it or not, I am not rough on stuff. I have a feeling I will break another pedal again, though, unless they do something to reinforce it. The guitar and drums were just badly made to begin with.

Nightz

List of free games:

Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars (PC/360)
Command and Conquer: The First Decade (PC)
FIFA 08 (PC/PS2/360/PS3)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (PC/PS2/360/PS3)
Medal of Honor Airborne (PC/PS3/360)
NASCAR 08 (PS2/360)
NBA Live 08 (PC/PS2/360/PS3)
Need for Speed Pro Street (PC/PS2/PS3)
NHL 08 (PC/PS2/PS3/360)
Rock Band (PS2/PS3/360)
skate. (PS3/360)
The Simpsons Game (PS2/PS3/360)
The Sims 2 Deluxe (PC)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 (PC/PS2/PS3/360)

I ended up picking skate for the 360.

Seth C

My guitar broke in the first week but I've been moving and didn't get time to replace it. How long should I expect before I get offered a free game? Or are they no longer doing that?

Nightz said:
List of free games:

FIFA 08 (PC/PS2/360/PS3)
NASCAR 08 (PS2/360)
NHL 08 (PC/PS2/PS3/360)
Rock Band (PS2/PS3/360)
skate. (PS3/360)
The Sims 2 Deluxe (PC)

let me get this straight...the guitar for Rock Band, the guitar you can only get if you purchased the bundle, this guitar breaks and they offer you a copy of Rock Band as recompense?

bune duggy said:
let me get this straight...the guitar for Rock Band, the guitar you can only get if you purchased the bundle, this guitar breaks and they offer you a copy of Rock Band as recompense?

It's probably dirt cheap for them. Much of the cost of the game is tied up in music royalties, but 'give away' copies are likely to be considered a promotional expense and exempt from those royalties.

Did you know that if you get discs in one of those 'six albums for free' introductory offers from columbia house or BMG, that the band typically gets nothing because it is considered a promotional copy?

MagicJackBauer said:
anyone get their $100 back yet from the replacement strat?
My account was never charged. I was under the impression that they'd only charge you if you didn't get your old guitar back to them within the time period.

It's kind of odd that EA isn't offering the 360 version of Need For Speed as one of the free game options.

My account first had a hold for 100 dollars when I set up the exchange and that went away before I even sent back the broken guitar. I assume they just check if you have the funds and then if you never send the guitar back they charge you for reals.

Nightz said:
List of free games:

FIFA 08 (PC/PS2/360/PS3)
NASCAR 08 (PS2/360)
NHL 08 (PC/PS2/PS3/360)
Rock Band (PS2/PS3/360)
skate. (PS3/360)
The Sims 2 Deluxe (PC)

Dammit. I want Skate. Could someone please tell me if there's some kind of reference number on the free game email, and if so could they please share it with me? I wrote EA, who replied suggesting I call them. So I call and I get an Indian dude who kept repeating "I'm sorry, sir, but I cannot offer any advice on your situation." He finally put me on hold for awhile and came back asking me for a reference number from the email. The email I never got. URRRGH. He made it sound like they have native english speakers available during business hours, so I guess I'll call back tomorrow.

He also didn't know what the strum bar is. And wouldn't send me another replacement without putting another hold on my card. Which I understand, but they sent me a fucking broken guitar. And it's Christmas. I can't afford that shit right now. URRRRGH.

JPBrowncoat said:
My account first had a hold for 100 dollars when I set up the exchange and that went away before I even sent back the broken guitar. I assume they just check if you have the funds and then if you never send the guitar back they charge you for reals.
Oh. Maybe I can afford it then.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
FINALLY got my strat back today. It didn't come with batteries :mad:

But it works perfect now, so im stoked. Took about 2 and a half weeks.

So, I was right in the middle of my 3rd jam session with The Showstoppers this evening, when my down-strum started giving out while holding on long notes and registering additional presses on almost every regular note. I switched it up to up-strum, which worked much better despite being a royal pain to pluck all the time. I'll be putting in my service order now...

This is fucking absurd. I waited two weeks for my replacement strat, and two weeks after I got it, it fucking breaks too. And I wasn't even offered a free game for the huge wait I had for my first replacement. I cannot believe what a piece of shit this controller is. You think they'd do some better fucking stress testing. I'm going to bitch to their support tomorrow. I cannot believe what a terrible experience I've had with them.

Cheesemeister said:
So, I was right in the middle of my 3rd jam session with The Showstoppers this evening, when my down-strum started giving out while holding on long notes and registering additional presses on almost every regular note. I switched it up to up-strum, which worked much better despite being a royal pain to pluck all the time. I'll be putting in my service order now...

Just FYI dude, you don't need to hold the strummer for long notes. You just need to hit the note and hold the fret button.

Kthreev

Took about a week for my replacement to come. It was broken out of the box. No email for a free game either :(

soo... disappointing.

DJ_Tet

Banned
ugh, this is starting to look like a clusterfuck :/

Seth, I did the same thing, mine broke the third day I had RB (which was three days after launch.) I held off hoping to get a 'better' replacement. Now I'm worried that not only won't I get a free game, but that I won't have a working strat when my 60 day warrenty is up.

EA better make this right for a $170 game buoght basically sight unseen.

ghostmind

They need to get this shit sorted out before Feb (?) when the 360 wireless strat is releasing... i am not going to drop another $80 if the failure rate is the same as the pack-ins...

Torgo

Mine and my buddy's Strat's both have the down-strum problem. I started the process yesterday, but did the Express method to guarantee that we'd have at least one controller for Christmas (my buddy is kind-of lazy, so I didn't trust him.)

They are both the wireless Strat for PS3.

Personally, I really like the controller, and it has quickly become my favorite, even with this issue.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
So yeah, I apparently have the worst luck with toy guitars in the world. I picked up Rock Band the day after it came out, and the guitar started double-strumming within a week. I put in for an express replacement, and when it finally arrived it was way more broken than the first guitar. The strum bar was actually embedded into the guitar, and I had to pull it out and snap it into position - and even then it felt like the spring that gives it tension and holds it in place was missing; it would just flap all over the place. So instead of returning my first defective guitar, I just sent that one back.

I then decided to go and pick up an X-plorer, since it's comparatively cheap and it'd be nice to have a second controller for when guests come over. Except that I got one of the model numbers where the strum bar was broken. So now, until I get my $125 hold back from EA and can put in for another replacement, I'm stuck with a controller that double strums and a controller with no whammy bar. :/

85ys2tg.jpg

wow that's a lot of glue.

I put my guitar back together and it worked OK, dunno how long it will last. the weird thing is that there was no problem with the contacts making, well, contact. Everything was as kosher as it could possibly be on the inside so I don't know why it would have stopped working on me.

DJ_Tet said:
Seth, I did the same thing, mine broke the third day I had RB (which was three days after launch.) I held off hoping to get a 'better' replacement. Now I'm worried that not only won't I get a free game, but that I won't have a working strat when my 60 day warrenty is up.
Mine also conked out right after I got RB, and I also held off in hopes of getting a better guitar. I called yesterday about the free game and they said it was only for people who requested a replacement from 11/20-23. I spoke to a supervisor and they said they met their quota on the free games and the best they could offer was a $20 off coupon for the EA store. The EA store that charges $7 for shipping. Urrrrrgh.

They also hung up on me twice and took forever trying to find a record of my previous return. I never even got a confirmation email about that one, no RMA #, and there's no record of it anymore on my EA.com account. EA suxxx.

Campster said:
So yeah, I apparently have the worst luck with toy guitars in the world. I picked up Rock Band the day after it came out, and the guitar started double-strumming within a week. I put in for an express replacement, and when it finally arrived it was way more broken than the first guitar. The strum bar was actually embedded into the guitar, and I had to pull it out and snap it into position - and even then it felt like the spring that gives it tension and holds it in place was missing; it would just flap all over the place.
Yeah, mine arrived in the same condition. RMA'd that one and it's still sitting at "Billing Info Received". Great.

Oh, and they also told me that some institutions only allow a hold for 72 hours, so if you're one of the people who no longer have a record of the hold on your statement that's probably why.

Meier

After teetering on the brink, my strummer is fucked. I guess I should play the drums more to see if the green pad is going to completely break off before my warranty runs out..

Ceres

Banned
I don't own the game but I was in Walmart today doing some last minute shopping. Noticed they finally had a rock band demo up (PS3 version) so I went to try it out. It was only the guitar and it was completely broken. The strumming didn't work at all. It either didn't register or would keep registering a new strum if I finally got it to work. The neck also felt flimsy like it'd break if it fell or hit anything. The PS2 GH3 demo was still working perfectly fine and that's been there for a few months.
I've been thinking of getting RB even if I only play the guitar part for the better DLC but the poorly made guitar has me wary.

Costanza

Banned
Rummy Bunnz said:
Mine also conked out right after I got RB, and I also held off in hopes of getting a better guitar. I called yesterday about the free game and they said it was only for people who requested a replacement from 11/20-23. I spoke to a supervisor and they said they met their quota on the free games and the best they could offer was a $20 off coupon for the EA store. The EA store that charges $7 for shipping. Urrrrrgh.
I called today and was told basically the same thing, except they only gave me a 15$ coupon. I used it to buy the cheapest thing I could find (Godfather for PS3, which came out to 12 bucks shipped and was going for 20 on ebay) Whatever.. fuckin lame.

I3rand0

Looks like I'm going to have to get another fucking replacement. Yellow button on the top frets is "stuck" and the game recognizes it as held down so I can't play guitar anymore on any song.

Just got my replacement. question for people who have received one: did EA ship it sans head and strap to you to? Because if I have to cannibalize my old strat for parts I'll be a little upset.

Top Bottom