• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League: 5 Million+ Downloads

wow, this is a big deal. I made a a friend of mine who shot his Ps4 "buy" the game on the playstation store from his computer, just in case he gets a Ps4 again someday.

I wonder if there is a way to tell what the split is between PC and Ps4 downloads?

SteamSpy tells us about 500k on PC, so around 4.5mil on PS4

Pretty sure they get money from Sony for every download. Lets be conservative and say its a dollar a download...

Yeah i think Rocket League's been a success for these guys. I'm just spitballing and I don't know how big or small their staff is, but this is only good news.

Congrats to them, they made a fun as hell game. In an industry filled with overly complicated sports sims, someone makes a simple game anyone can just jump into, have fun, and play.

Do not wait. Download it asap, before the new month starts.

Direct quote on that subject..
“I will always wonder; given how much it has taken off, you have to wonder. You look at the amount of downloads and you go 'Wow, that would have made a lot of money if we'd had even a tenth of that in paid sales,'” Hagewood tells me. “But we knew what we were doing when we made that deal. We knew that was a possibility."
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...re_worth_revisiting_A_Rocket_League_story.php

dmix90

Congrats to developers! This game is a gem. Now all i need is stable servers and 500km trophy for my first ever platinum (i hope online driving distance stats will be patched soon).

“I will always wonder; given how much it has taken off, you have to wonder. You look at the amount of downloads and you go 'Wow, that would have made a lot of money if we'd had even a tenth of that in paid sales,'” Hagewood tells me. “But we knew what we were doing when we made that deal. We knew that was a possibility."
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...re_worth_revisiting_A_Rocket_League_story.php
so sony pays them when psplus people get the game?

Grinchy

Banned
If they have really sold 500K on Steam, that is insane. There was a time when 500K total sales/downloads sounded like a pipe dream.

BShadowJ

Man if you got a PS4 and PS+ and haven't tried this game, you really are missing out on something great. You don't even need to like cars nor soccer to enjoy it! The massive success the game has had is more than deserved, it's overdue if anything! :)

I really like this quote from the article:

"So if you have a game concept that doesn't do well, it's not necessarily true that the concept is a failure. It's not necessarily worth dropping that idea. Maybe it just needs to be done in a better way, or at a better time".
I wish things like this could happen more, but I know money doesn't grow on trees.

Mrbob

I remember the rage when this got announced for free on PS Plus. Now it ends up being the best free game ever on PS Plus.

I'll be grabbing it again on Steam when there is a sale.

Lebneney

Banned
The thing I love about this game is it's simplicity to begin and it's difficulty to master.

I remember when this month's PS+ games were announced a few people were bummed out and were stating that Gold had better games for the time being and that PS+ was on the decline.

This game was not only a pleasant surprise, but also a joy to play.

EVO

I'm surprised at the ratio of Steam to PS downloads. Seems like 1:1 when I play online, if not 2:1 in Steam's favour.

kvothe

There was an episode of podcast Beyond a few years ago where the developer of this game asked people to tweet if they wanted the game on PS4, to gauge interest (or just get free marketing, but whatever). A few years later and this game is a hit. So awesome.

hawk2025

The thing I love about this game is it's simplicity to begin and it's difficulty to master.

I remember when this month's PS+ games were announced a few people were bummed out and were stating that Gold had better games for the time being and that PS+ was on the decline.

This game was not only a pleasant surprise, but also a joy to play.

A few?

The PS+ thread was an embarrassment, even with dozens of beta-playing people saying that people should just wait and see.

Doesn't the devs get a cheque from Sony for offering their labour of love for free on release for PS4? I would like to know if they're compensated for each and every download (percentage of what they would have charged) or if they get a flat fee. Any info on that?

hawk2025

Doesn't the devs get a cheque from Sony for offering their labour of love for free on release for PS4? I would like to know if they're compensated for each and every download (percentage of what they would have charged) or if they get a flat fee. Any info on that?

We've heard both ways, so it's probably on a case-by-case basis.

Well deserved. Hopefully Psyonix gets some points per download on PS+. Even so with this month almost over and as far as I can tell nothing stopping this rocket train, they'll sell a good number of copies too.

It must be so gratifying to them to know they were absolutely right when they said that people would love this game if they just gave it a try. I'm so happy for them.

As for me, I'll be buying whatever DLC they throw out to support them.

Trojan

Congrats to the devs, great success story for a relatively unknown dev a couple of months ago.

Makes me laugh when I still see comments about PS+ not delivering good games anymore. You don't have to like RL, but you can't deny that Sony gifted a game that is fast becoming the phenomenon of the year.

I see that Steam number reaching close to a million and possibly another million in PS4 sales after it rolls off PS+. Pretty amazing.

hawk2025

The best thing is that the buzz is still going and the game is about to be removed from PS+, so hopefully it will keep selling fairly well.

Grinchy

Banned
It's easy to pay for the game despite getting it on PS+. Go buy the PC version. If your PC can't run it, it still accomplishes your goal and one day if you upgrade you'll be able to play the best version.

olimpia84

Hopefully they're getting some kind of bonus on top of the sum Sony paid them originally. These guys deserve it and I'm not afraid to call this a contender for GOTY.

WoolyNinja

Congrats to the devs, the game is awesome!

I just wish more of those 5 million were online. So many times I'm stuck in a 3 vs 3 and the other team has 2 super powered AI powered bots.

The best thing is that the buzz is still going and the game is about to be removed from PS+, so hopefully it will keep selling fairly well.

It will, the word of mouth after people get their hands on it is pretty great. I bought it for myself and a friend on steam and now 4 others have bought it. The thirst is real.

M3z_

Awesome to see great work appreciated. Got the game for free on PSN, but had to buy it on PC just to give them some money for making something so great.

I want to give something back to them, so I want to buy a PC copy for my friend and as much DLC as they put out. GOTY contender for me.

Cross-platform match-making/parties aren't in yet right?

2015-07-2923_14_40-rosczch.png

CLHEetcUYAA-crS.jpg:large

So, um. No walls? Are they invisible?

Top Bottom