• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

TheKeyPit

Banned
welcome back :p
Hmmm... my team got a new player who has clocked in even more playtime than me on Xbox. We played Standard for ~4 hours yesterday with another one of our teammates, that I haven't really played much with. We've become accustomed to each other pretty fast.

This team has a lot of potential.

I'll stick to strictly playing with my team.

Soulflarz

Banned
don't become laz :V

(actually serious, there's merit to learning how to adapt to playing with way worse players)

edit: I say this because it's very very common for people who only play top level to get very good themselves and never learn how to play lower. I know pep for example plays at all skill levels, but then you take my one friend who's champ 2 and just tilts because they can't soloqueue this season- they expect way way more than a champ 2 will do and they toss rank hard as a result. This becomes a VERY big problem if the people you play with are very notable in certain ways- for example, if they're gods at double touching, you'll always expect it, and might move out way too early or get ruined by them not getting it a single time. A single mishit shouldn't ruin a team in midranks. Yet my friend does fine with top players and no one else.

Meanwhile other friends only soloqueued and were top 10 on leaderboards most of s3.

don't become laz :V

(actually serious, there's merit to learning how to adapt to playing with way worse players)

That's right. I remember playing with you and flunkie really early on. I ended up leaving the team because I was too good and was basically smurfing you guys. If only I had known that before, maybe I would have stayed with you guys longer

k lemme go shopping now then :V dunno if I can play all day but yeah

My man, thanks for all the wisdom imparted and the first-hand look at what playing confidently, controlled, and consistently looks like. You should stream or start a YT and impart your advice on the fly on there. I'd watch for sure. Good stuff, man. Sorry I was garbage for the most part. Mostly trying to watch you and learn lol.

The good thing about Soulflarz is he doesn't mind telling it like it is. Honest and to the point which is what a lot of us need to improve, haha.

In other news, I've dropped in 2s to Diamond II, feelsbad. :(

Soulflarz

Banned
I mean it's just moreso
"You gotta read that better and jump earlier" works better than "oh don't do a sideways 50-50" since thats usually from a misread anyways.

Soulflarz

Banned
awake

i think analysis works better than what I do because mid match for non competitive is very iffy because it tilts and/or makes people nervous when outside of top level yeaaah after match going over a few key things at a time probably is WAY better.

I mean it's just moreso
"You gotta read that better and jump earlier" works better than "oh don't do a sideways 50-50" since thats usually from a misread anyways.

awake

i think analysis works better than what I do because mid match for non competitive is very iffy because it tilts and/or makes people nervous when outside of top level yeaaah after match going over a few key things at a time probably is WAY better.

Yea, I get you.

But our session did wonders for me. I'm playing so much more intelligently and confidently, knowing how to read situations and assess options and potential outcomes on the fly.

What you did, though, is ruin a lot of my friends list for me. I spend a lot of time spamming "[TEAM] Go for it!" now :/

For example, that simple tip of "if I already have near full momentum heading back to defense, and you're in the backfield, go ahead and challenge" was a revelation. Simple perhaps. Basic, maybe. But it's those little techniques and skills that you leave behind as you try to learn roof aerials and wave jumps that truly make the difference.

Now to find a suitable monitor. Are there any large-ish monitors that won't break the bank that would be suitable for competitive-ish gaming?

.Now to find a suitable monitor. Are there any large-ish monitors that won't break the bank that would be suitable for competitive-ish gaming?
I wanted a cheap monitor almost exclusively because of Rocket League that was 144hz and had great response time. I ended up buying this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV1XBEI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've been extremely pleased with it. The picture quality isn't going to compete with an expensive monitor or OLED TV and it's only 1080p but for my price range it's exactly what I was hoping for. No matter what you get, aim for a 144hz monitor with low response time.

Rocket League is glorious at 144 fps.

I wanted a cheap monitor almost exclusively because of Rocket League that was 144hz and had great response time. I ended up buying this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV1XBEI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've been extremely pleased with it. The picture quality isn't going to compete with an expensive monitor or OLED TV and it's only 1080p but for my price range it's exactly what I was hoping for. No matter what you get, aim for a 144hz monitor with low response time.

Rocket League is glorious at 144 fps.

Woops, I should probably state I'm playing on PS4. No real desire to build/buy a gaming PC right now, and my iMac covers me for all my design needs.

Woops, I should probably state I'm playing on PS4. No real desire to build/buy a gaming PC right now, and my iMac covers me for all my design needs.
Ah, I knew that from earlier posts, I just forgot. My bad.

Well on PS4 the most you'll get is 60 fps but that monitor would still work great unless you want something bigger. The only reason to get a monitor over TV for console play is response time.

Ah, I knew that from earlier posts, I just forgot. My bad.

Well on PS4 the most you'll get is 60 fps but that monitor would still work great unless you want something bigger. The only reason to get a monitor over TV for console play is response time.

Yea, that's why I'm beginning to search. Currently using a Black Friday TCL TV. I'm positive it's holding me back at least a bit,

Season 5 Competitive Changes

Rocket League’s Competitive Season 5 will commence with the release of our Anniversary Update on July 5th, and we’re making a few changes that we want to share with you guys ahead of time.

Contrary to the transition between previous Competitive Seasons, there will be no Competitive Skill reset for Season 5. Your ranks will carry over from Season 4 into Season 5. While we recognize some players look forward to starting over each season, the downside of doing a reset can be significant. Match quality can be poor for several weeks after a season ends as players recalibrate to their actual skill ranking. With seasons happening more frequently, we aren’t comfortable creating so much matchmaking instability every few months.

SEASON REWARD LEVEL
For Season 5, we are introducing a concept called Season Reward Level that is independent from your matchmaking rank. Your Reward Level starts at Unranked, and each win earns you progress towards the next level. Each Reward Level requires 20 wins to unlock, and they are sequential - you unlock Silver rewards after Bronze, Gold after Silver, and so on. Losing a match will not count against your Season Reward Level in any way, even if the loss causes you to drop a Tier or Division.

rank.PNG

Wins only count toward your Season Reward Level if you’re playing at or above that level’s Skill Tier. For example, you can progress towards unlocking Bronze rewards by playing at Bronze tier or higher. But a Gold player who has unlocked Gold Season Rewards cannot yet unlock Platinum Season Rewards. But a Gold player can only unlock Gold Season Rewards and below until they advance to Platinum I or higher.

FUTURE SEASONS
Our primary goal going forward is to provide new goals for players to accomplish each Competitive Season without the chaos of a skill reset. If this first version of the Season Reward Level doesn’t accomplish those goals, we’ll adjust in future Competitive Seasons.

We’re always looking to improve on existing systems, and Competitive Seasons are no exception. We look forward to your feedback about your experiences with Competitive Season 5!

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I lose Season Reward Levels if I lose matches or drop a Skill tier?

No, you will not lose progress towards your Season Rewards. Losses do not subtract from your win total, and your progress will be stored even if you get demoted.

How do different playlists interact with the Season Reward Level?

You can earn wins towards leveling up from any Competitive Playlist. However, you still only earn Wins for matches of sufficient rank. If your 2v2 rank is Platinum and your 3v3 rank is Silver, 3v3 wins will only count towards Silver Reward Level and below.

When are Season Rewards given out?

For Season 5, they will still be awarded at the end of the season. In future seasons, we hope to have them be awarded immediately upon unlocking a Reward Level.

How long will Season 5 last?

Similar to Season 4, we are planning for Season 5 to last 3 to 4 months.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Big win streak in Standard with randoms. Made it from Diamond 1 to Diamond 2 Div 4, nearly Diamond 3, maybe one more win, good teammates every time, but as always the last two matches were lost because:
- Hesitant teammates, I go for the challenge 50/50 ball rolls towards our net, both teammates sit there and don't know what to do at Diamond 3 rank and when they finally decide to do something the opponent is already there.

I'm repeating myself here, but I tend to believe that I do not get matched with better opponents, but with worse teammates after a win streak.

What's up with official Xbox tournaments or was it all just hot air?

I think they were(are) still hoping Sony comes around on crossplay so that won't need to be a thing. Which switch joining the mix I can see why now more than ever they wan't this to be a thing. Having neither Xbox nor Switch in RLCS would suck.

I think they were(are) still hoping Sony comes around on crossplay so that won't need to be a thing. Which switch joining the mix I can see why now more than ever they wan't this to be a thing. Having neither Xbox nor Switch in RLCS would suck.
I thought everyone was on PC at RLCS? Is that not the case?

Top Bottom