• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar is working on a Medieval IP called "Project Ethos"

Draugoth

Gold Member
Information comes from one of the dudes who is sharing the leaked GTA V source-code
  • This new IP promises to BEAT HEAD with big names in the genre, such as Skyrim and Elden Ring
  • The name of this project is "Project Medieval/Ethos"
  • This new game will have an emphasis on combat with swords, rather than firearms, featuring weapons such as crossbows and war

Source

Last edited:
Or it could even be...AGENT

tumblr_ntffoabq0P1qeidy7o1_500.gif

ProtoByte

We dont have a medieval GTA though. Could be cool
Medieval GTA doesn't exist because it doesn't make sense. GTA sells itself on large, densely populated urban environments. Not that Rockstar should be making [insert setting]-GTA for a new Izp anyway, but especially after GTA6, a medieval environment is just going to look and feel lame and boring.

I just hope the scope is a bit more releasing this decade than 2030s. Sounds interesting.
R* won't be getting anything that isn't GTA6 or GTAO2 out before this decade ends.

ckaneo

Medieval GTA doesn't exist because it doesn't make sense. GTA sells itself on large, densely populated urban environments. Not that Rockstar should be making [insert setting]-GTA for a new Izp anyway, but especially after GTA6, a medieval environment is just going to look and feel lame and boring.

R* won't be getting anything that isn't GTA6 or GTAO2 out before this decade ends.
I mean Read Dead doesnt have large populations. That's not really a requirement

I think of it more as a Red Dead Redemption in a different era than a "GTA".

Kurotri

Yeah...the fact that he mentioned Agent makes me think this is BS. This guy also has a pretty bad track record according to some reddit comments.

digdug2

Eh, can't beat Kingdom Come Deliverance
I've given Kingdom Come: Deliverance multiple shots, but it just doesn't do it for me. Different strokes for different folks! Medieval GTA sounds kind of rad to me though. I'd love to play as a Robin Hood-esque character, helping out the needy, robbing caravans, etc., all with the end goal of upheaving a tyrant.

by the time this new thing comes out, Kingdom Come 2 will have already been released, I reckon. It's at least strongly rumored that Warhorse Studios are working on a successor game.
It sounds like Daniel Vávra has a lot of ideas rolling around in his head about this series. It's done very well to date, so I can only assume that a sequel is on its way.

Wildebeest

Technically, there were firearms towards the end of the middle ages. So if EA and Dice were making a historically accurate medieval game, everyone would be using fully automatic rifles.

Can u imagine If sony brought rockstar and if this is being made was made as a sony exclusive to the likes of ES6 to be xbox exclusive?

HL3.exe

Yeah, i'm good.

Used to be a time I was excited about Rockstar's development pipeline. Combined with the fact they now ship one game every generation, which means at least 7 to 8 years between releases? Nah.

Agent sounded cool when it was announcement in 2009, the concept of a political espionage thriller with stealth gameplay, but with Rockstar's style. But that was 14 years ago? But sure, I'll play it in, what, 8 years? If i'm still alive.

Also, a medieval game from Rockstar sounds incredibly off-brand and cringe, especially in a market that's already saturated with medieval or fantasy stuff, so I doubt this choice. Rockstar used to focus (and still do anyway) more on a specific tone or cultures to build a game around, that's what made them special. Especially in the 2000's. Remember when they made a 'The Warriors' game? I rather they do something like Bully 2, which is more original then medieval, fuck me.

So:
press-x-to-doubt-la-noire.jpg

Last edited:

Kabelly

I can't think of a medieval game that's released in the last decade or so that wasn't full of some fantasy shit. I think a very realistic grounded medevial world with Rockstar's attention to detail and tech could be very good. I would hope it's third person still. I'd like to see their take on swordplay. Sekiro and Nioh would be the bar imo.

[Sigma]

I'd at least be interested because it is Rockstar but at the same time, i've never been a fan of Medieval.

A while back, Rockstar stated they will never do fantasy games, but a realistic mideval game could be dope. It would be cool if they made an RPG with Baldur's Gate 3 level of depth, with many branching paths

Boss Man

Wow, I would be HYPE for this.

They better have Puerto Rican representation in the game though.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I can't think of a medieval game that's released in the last decade or so that wasn't full of some fantasy shit

Kingdom Come:

An epic RPG based on medieval, European history without any fantasy BS. It was a pretty good game.

However, it also got a lot of flack for not being diverse, as in every character was white. The Devs defended this as historically accurate, but it wasn't enough for the mob.

This is something Rockstar would need to consider. If they wanted to go historically accurate and make it diverse to avoid controversy, they'd might want to base they're game in 15th century Greece/Turkey, which was then divided between the Ottomans and the Byzantine Empire (Rome), rather than say, 14th century Scotland or Norway.

shamoomoo

That's basically Red Dead Redemption with more primitive weapons, heck they could've had guns depending on the timeframe.

mortal

Gold Member
So it would be fictional locations but with an authentic look and feel of that period akin to RDR games?
A new period-setting Rockstar game would be pretty cool, and the thought of improved horse gameplay and melee-focused combat piques my interest.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
rokstar has nort had good combat since max payne 3 its all true Im sorry we must start a petition for good meelar combat it could break records

coffinbirth

Interesting that no one picked up on this during the GTA VI leak last year. A few people talked about the Bully 2 and Agent assets, but outside of discord, I hadn't heard it mentioned until the source code for V went public.

Did people also forget that there's a playable GTA VI build and it's source code as well? I'm all but certain that stuff was also distributed privately.

"Hi,

Here are 90 footage/clips from GTA 6.

Its possible i could leak more data soon, GTA 5 and 6 source code and assets, GTA 6 testing build."

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Kingdom Come:

An epic RPG based on medieval, European history without any fantasy BS. It was a pretty good game.

However, it also got a lot of flack for not being diverse, as in every character was white. The Devs defended this as historically accurate, but it wasn't enough for the mob.

This is something Rockstar would need to consider. If they wanted to go historically accurate and make it diverse to avoid controversy, they'd might want to base they're game in 15th century Greece/Turkey, which was then divided between the Ottomans and the Byzantine Empire (Rome), rather than say, 14th century Scotland or Norway.

Still sold well. I'm glad they didn't budge and sell out their vision. Last reported to have sold over 5 million copies.

Top Bottom