• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roger Federer SuperNova

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's nuts what he's been able to do, completely unparalleled that i can think of for an athlete at his age to turn weakness into a strength

To actually still have the drive and athleticism to keep doing it despite the fact that his legacy is basically cemented is a super underrated skill/trait.
Heck, even a guy like Djoker who's won less grand slams but still has something to chase in the GS record has admitted that he slacked off a lot and lost a bit of motivation. It's a very natural thing to do, but Roger just does not seem phased by that

but Roger just does not seem phased by that

the guy just truly loves the sport, i think it has a lot to do with his success. Dude clearly watches a lot of tennis too, always knows the rankings of everyone and their results.

Many athletes lose the passion pretty quickly after going pro and it becomes a job, after a while they made so much money that they don't really need to do that job anymore and just hang in there because it's easy money and they don't really have anything else to do or look forward to.

there's also a lot of players who are just talented and aren't really into the sport in the first place (looking at you Kyrgios).

Its' great to see his renaissance and bittersweet too, because it won't be long before he retires, but he's going out with one hell of a bang. As a Nadal fan, I was gutted that my boy lost to Federer in the Aus. Open final, but, hey, what a bloody match! Roger earned that 18th slam after so many near-misses and disappointments, so I can forgive him for dousing his backhand in gasoline and setting it on fire for five sets of tennis. It was great to watch.

I know the French is up next, but I'm really looking forward to Wimbledon this year. Here's to you, Roger. GOAT.

SSJGSSJ Federer has been a joy to watch. To see mans come back from that and absolutely dominate a sport at 35... it's... it's just...

a0luW3J.gif

If anyone has juiced, it's the dude who couldn't finish games on his early 20s and is in better physical shape in his late 20s, and the guy who literally ran at full speed for 5 sets without showing any sort of fatigue until the last few years.

Honestly given how his body started breaking down before 30, it seems to indicate Nadal didn't use PEDs, at least heavily.

Rafa had/has a huge will to compete, and he pushed himself to his max out there all the time. And the guy didn't exactly glide around the court like Roger or Borg, he pounded and lunged around out there.

Yes those sprinting passing shot winners in the 5th set were impressive, but Nadal probably will have the knees of a 75 year old by time he turns 40.

clemenx

Banned
Honestly given how his body started breaking down before 30, it seems to indicate Nadal didn't use PEDs, at least heavily.

Rafa had/has a huge will to compete, and he pushed himself to his max out there all the time. And the guy didn't exactly glide around the court like Roger or Borg, he pounded and lunged around out there.

Yes those sprinting passing shot winners in the 5th set were impressive, but Nadal probably will have the knees of a 75 year old by time he turns 40.

Yeah, I have to agree there.

Rafa's athleticism was out of this world but so far his decline on the physical side has been pretty normal and about as expected.

bionic77

Ah right. So he's basically saying that he's only now become truly confident with that racket after putting so many hours into it. Makes sense. FinalFormFederer is a blast to watch.

I'd just like to add that his 'dominant period' really only lasted 3-4 years and he's been in his 'twilight' years for around 9 years now, which is just insane.

Twilight Federer > Peak Federer if only for the extended desperate underdog story.

41sfYBl.jpg
Peak Federer was more beautiful but this period is probably more fun because it is unexpected and no one has any idea what is going to happen so every time he succeeds it feels that much more awesome.

I figured he was done when I heard he got injured. Well he's in his mid-thirties now, I thought, he's had an amazing run.

VtXCfvh.gif

And then he fucking wins a grand slam and now Indian Wells. It's unbelievable.

I'm a Federer fan through and through, but let's keep our expectations low here and be realistic :p
Agreed. He'll only win 3 GS this year insetad of 4 before he retires at the end as the GOAT athlete in all sports for this decade. Massive Ls will then be handed to LeBronze, RonaLdo, and Leo Messi.

Boney

Banned
The greatest to have ever lived.

Happily married too, love that, it's hard for top competitors to mantain the commitment relationships need.

IISANDERII

These 3 months are his biggest achievement period.

In what other sport does a 35 year old returns from injury, impoves his biggest weakness and just dominates from the go.

I mean, the last few years, even without winning anything it was remarkable that he remained top 5 at his age was impressive enough, but what he's doing right now is beyond belief.
It's most likely to happen in tennis because their player union is very weak. Tennis players are very overworked so Federer got almost a real off season and was able to rest, recuperate and properly train unlike many of his peers.

Anyway, great time for Fed, that new backhand has brought his confidence way up!

Speevy

Banned
Let's not forget that probably a good portion of players would have packed it in after years of not winning grand slams.

He had every indication that his best days were behind him.

He has the ability and determination of a champion.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Deadspin had an awesome write up on him. Basically saying that it looks like what he did is adjust his timing on his strikes so that he's hitting the ball as soon as it comes off the ground, shortening his reaction time but also eliminating his opponents ability to have any spin on their serves/volleys force him away from shots. Which, if you think about it, for him to adjust his game so much at 35 as to tweak a TIMING issue is really freaking impressive.

http://deadspin.com/roger-federer-is-just-making-stuff-up-now-1792800886

Love Federer. More power to him.

Diamond

His style that is always esthetically admired is one of the biggest reasons why his career is this long, IMO. He basically has near perfect form on every shot, so playing at a high level is not as taxing for him. This style also allows him to play high-risk tennis all year without losing consistency. And so he plays one hour matches when others play half an hour more. It adds up. It has become a truism to say that Roger has the most beautiful shots, but it's also a very solid explanation for his longevity.

If anyone has juiced, it's the dude who couldn't finish games on his early 20s and is in better physical shape in his late 20s, and the guy who literally ran at full speed for 5 sets without showing any sort of fatigue until the last few years.

Are you referring to Murray?

Now all I need is for federer to win one last Wimbledon title and I can die happy.

Yeah, to win another Wimbledon title would be amazing.

Smellycat

His style that is always esthetically admired is one of the biggest reasons why his career is this long, IMO. He basically has near perfect form on every shot, so playing at a high level is not as taxing for him. This style also allows him to play high-risk tennis all year without losing consistency. And so he plays one hour matches when others play half an hour more. It adds up. It has become a truism to say that Roger has the most beautiful shots, but it's also a very solid explanation for his longevity.

This is a big reason for his longevity. He races through his service games and matches. For example, the guy dropped serve ONCE this entire tournament, and his longest match was 1 hour and 34 minutes.

Speevy

Banned
Could he take Wimbledon this year?

That depends. If he rolls through the first four rounds and the quarters without losing to some guy who has no business beating him, yes.

Djokovic is way off right now, as is Nadal.

Wawrinka and Murray can beat him, but he can easily beat both of them too.

I wouldn't bet against him.

Mortemis

Banned
It's well beyond ridiculous at this point. Sure you can hand wave this as he's using peds, but his backhand is unreal now. It's crazy.

Gonna be cheering for Nadal in the French, but I hope Fed stays strong and gives us another great Wimbledon.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Amazing that he's still finding ways to improve his game. it took awhile but it seems he's finally gotten comfortable attacking on both sides against the best players instead of relying on the forehand.

Makes me regret going from a oversize racquet to a 95 incher. lol

Speevy

Banned
It's time for Federer to win his second French. One just isn't enough.

He can't keep this up forever, so I'd like to see him get to 20. 20 and then retirement.

Then they can name one of the stadiums after him.

EVO

Holy shit. Just watched a 20 minute highlight reel of Federer's tournament. Most players would struggle to produce a reel like that over their entire career, let alone a single tournament. Dude absolutely crushed it.

It's great to see, he seems like a really nice guy as well. He certainly doesn't come across like a lot of arrogant sport stars do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom