• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RollerCoaster Tycoon World release date set for December 10th

chadskin

After ten long years (not to mention several different developers) the fourth major installment in the RollerCoaster Tycoon series, RollerCoaster Tycoon World, will arrive on December 10. Prior to launch, there will be two beta weekends for those who pre-purchase the game to get an early look.

I spoke on Monday with Atari CEO Fred Chesnais, COO Todd Shallbeter, Senior Director of Marketing Tony Chien, and RCTW producer Matt Labunka. While RCTW's multiplayer mode will not be ready in time for launch, they told me it is planned as an free update in the future. In the meantime, there will still be some online functionality when the game is released. You'll be able to visit your friends' parks and utilize other social features like sharing screenshots and videos.

They also confirmed that RCTW will include Steam Workshop support at launch—which has certainly done wonders for extending the lifespan of city-building sim Cities: Skylines. RCTW will allow players to upload and share the coasters they build, custom scenery, and other assets, along with saved games and parks. According to Atari, creating your own scenery and "peeps" (park visitors) can be done with any 3D editing program compatible with Unity. Atari couldn't quite confirm there would be deeper mod support in the future, to allow custom-made rides or other changes to the core gameplay, though producer Matt Labunka told me it is "certainly something we're looking at."
http://www.pcgamer.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-world-release-date-set-for-december/

Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good.

Confirmed to be an unfinished game released to help the economy numbers of Atari. What a surprise!

This new version has been in development for less than 6 months. Nothing good is going to come from this. Mark my words.

BTW they are touting the workshop this time because the community are the ones who are going to finish the game for them, and the sad thing is people will eat it up.

Well, if it's a rushed bomb there's still Planet Coaster which seems much more likely to be good.

People are criticising them for being radio silence (the RCTW and Planet Coaster forums are full of 13 year olds that only know to ask for the impossible, is pretty sad), but that is a good sign. Frontier is trying to make a good game, and thay have a huge experience with the franchise. Let them take their time.

Illucio

Banned
Oh man I'd love to play this game again...

So it's coming to PC, and hopefully no micro-transaction bull crap and any DLC is a full on expansion. <3

Are there any solid coaster builders out that aren't super crazy complicated?

If the new RTC sucks, which it most likely will, I want an alternative.

Sciz

RCTW will ship with a scenario mode in which, similar to previous games in the series, players build parks to reach certain milestones before moving on to start a new park. I personally always hated having to leave a park just to start over with a new one, so I was relieved to hear there will also be a campaign mode that takes place in a single park, where players unlock new rides and buildings as they progress. Naturally, there will be a sandbox mode where players can build without restrictions or milestones (and with infinite money).

All I need at this point are launch impressions.

Wait this isn't by Frontier? Well, still interested as it looks pretty cool, but will wait for some impressions.

No, RCTW is done by Nvizzio (started on the 3rd version of the game some months ago after the last dev was fired (Area52), and before that Atari fired another dev (Pirpeworks software)).
Planet Coaster is the one done by Frontier.

Are there any solid coaster builders out that aren't super crazy complicated?

If the new RTC sucks, which it most likely will, I want an alternative.

Planet Coaster by Frontier is going to be the spiritual succesor of RCT3. The same devs that did that game too.
If you want old school RCT1 (and only 1, as there is no buiding theming like in 2 and 3) you can look for Parkitect. They made a succesful kickstater like a year ago and are working on the game.

Hope the sp is good may pick this up if it is.

If you want something that isnt super complicated maybe you will like the campaign mode (if the AI works well, that is, because right now it doesnt form the videos they have shown), but you need to know there will be no darkrides, water rides, transport rides, waterworks and tunnels when the game releases. And very few coaster types and flats.
They are banking all on a theming system that frankly, I dont see it working well (and is probably going to affect badly the peeps AI).

I see. Well this looks pretty cool so will wait for some impressions, and hope it wont be filled with dlc and microtransactions... and add Planet Coaster to my steam wishlist as well. :p

D-Pad

Old? Pre-order page is up:
http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/buy/

Standard: $49.99

• Exclusive Access to the 2 Beta Weekends (Delivery Scheduled – Late October and November)
  • 5 Special Peep Skins (Delivery – At Launch)

Deluxe: $59.99

• 2 Additional Maps: Build your dream park on two new exotic map packs.
  • Additional Terrain Textures: Bring your park to vibrant life with additional terrain texture packs.
  • Golden Park Entrance: Delight guests and show off your solid gold style with an exclusive Deluxe-Edition park entrance.
  • Additional Mascot: Wow your guests with the RCT franchise’s classic “Panda” mascot.
  • Digital Art Book: A beautifully designed art book illustrates the story of RCTW art and park elements from concept to in-game.

Ultimate: $74.99
  • RollerCoaster Tycoon World Deluxe Edition (includes all pre-order benefits).
  • RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum (includes RCT3, Soaked, and Wild).
  • RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 Triple Thrill Pack (includes RCT2, Time-Twister, and Wacky Worlds)
  • RollerCoaster Tycoon Deluxe (includes RCT, Corkscrew Follies, and Loopy Landscapes).

Those prices are crazy for the very little we've seen of the game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This kind of game is a catch 22.

There's no real way to know how good it is until people have put hours into it to determine just how the systems actually feel

But anyone who does that has to buy it blind

I will take the cowards route and wait for other people to tell me if it holds up or not

Unicorn

No footage to go with announcement?

They should release a coaster building demo like the creature creator demo for Spore. Get people using and populating with coasters and also let people see if the tools are worthwhile for a purchase.

I'm intrigued to see the reception on it. The rollercoaster physics look float to me- the classic games made he rides look like they had weight. And for some reason the path tool turns me off.
I'm personally excited for parkitect.

This kind of game is a catch 22.

There's no real way to know how good it is until people have put hours into it to determine just how the systems actually feel

But anyone who does that has to buy it blind

I will take the cowards route and wait for other people to tell me if it holds up or not

I mean is it really a catch 22 if we have reviewers who can help us make these decisions?

Shaneus

In development for 6 months *and* a game by the previous developer of the series is out next year? I'm calling cynical cash-in before the good version of the game is released. Not surprised, it's Atari... they killed any chance of the PC TxK port, so now it's just down to crappy rehashes of titles they own IPs for.

Yikes..
Should have gone the Cities Skylines route and release for $30.

Well the whole point of this existing is to shovel money into Atari's barren coffers. They fired the first (of 3) developer because they didn't couldn't get them that money in an unreasonably fast amount of time.

D-Pad

When's the beta? About to pull the trigger on this thing. Looks promising enough.

From the site:
Exclusive Access to the 2 Beta Weekends (Delivery Scheduled &#8211; Late October and November)

What the..
People are pretty much forced to buy the deluxe edition. More maps and textures..

The community will likely have better maps and textures out within the first couple of days anyway.

Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good. Please be good.
Don't get your hopes up...

KarasuEXE

Every time they show this game, it looks different. From the latest video, it looks like it's going in the right direction, let's hope so.

mishakoz

I'm so stoked. I'm right now living in this weird era where there is not only one roller coaster sim game releasing, but two competing ones (this and coaster world)

Now if only they would patch rct3 to run multi-threaded I would be so happy. Meh, gonna jump in and play some anyway!

Nope. Just tried the deluxe edition. It's got the usual shitty ass region check on your paypal account.

Seems like pretty much everything on nuuvem is getting it now.
Ah, apologies then. Bought Jotun and Blood Bowl 2 from nuuvem within the last few days with no issues so I figured it'd work as well.

Are you sure it doesn't work via vpn? I was able to sign into paypal and start the payment process but I don't actually want to buy it so I can't follow though :p

Alcool313

Unfortunately, there is very little chance that this game will be good. Someone already mentioned that this game changed developers a couple of months back, but the actual situation was sketchy: they released a trailer that did not have Area 52's logos (the developer at the time), and when asked, they acknowledged the change but refused to name the new developer. More troubling is the fact that Area 52 was already the second developer on the project, having taken over for Pipeworks software.

Combine that with the atrocity that was RollerCoaster Tycoon 4 on mobile (and the rest of zombie Atari's recent output), and it does not seem like a good situation at all.

Top Bottom