• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Thunder© (Xbox 360)...

Drek

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Finally MS copying Sony!
No, Sony always handles their own PR spin doctoring and FUD in house. Its a corporate strength, like innovative 1st party titles.

bumpkin

GhaleonEB said:
Compilation of several screens from the GoW thread:
gow_head_pop.gif
Awesome. Simply awesome.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
there's a chance microsoft may open up 360 streaming through XP without the Media Center requirement. That would be pretty big news and add more fuel to the "Rolling Thunder" fire, oh yeah! And let's not forget the XBLA surprises they'll likely unveil. I'm sure more publishers are jumping on board a la Konami and castlevania.

{Mike}

Banned
It will be cool to see what will happen when Msoft actually face some competition. Being first on a podium is easy when you're the sole racer. Let's just wait how Gears of War or Halo 3 if you prefer will compare to Devil May Cry 4 or Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Raistlin

open_mouth_ said:
there's a chance microsoft may open up 360 streaming through XP without the Media Center requirement.

Based on what? Has there been any credible reason to think this?

I for one would be quite happy - but it simply doesn't seem logical business-wise. I simply can't imagine MS's board of directors (or shareholders) being okay with this ... unless MS's entire gameplan for 'the connected home' is going in a totally new direction?

This would basically be = MS fail total as far as A/V goes.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Onix said:
Based on what? Has there been any credible reason to think this?

I for one would be quite happy - but it simply doesn't seem logical business-wise. I simply can't imagine MS's board of directors (or shareholders) being okay with this ... unless MS's entire gameplan for 'the connected home' is going in a totally new direction?

This would basically be = MS fail total as far as A/V goes.

why would it be a poor decision for MS from a business standpoint, especially if Sony is going to try to leverage whatever it can (its movie backlog, etc.) ?

In the other thread, there was talk of media player 11 having built-in support for 360 and a possible fall dashboard update could allow it to work correctly. This is all conjecture at this point, btw.

Raistlin

open_mouth_ said:
why would it be a poor decision for MS from a business standpoint, especially if Sony is going to try to leverage whatever it can (its movie backlog, etc.) ?

You obviously don't understand MS's Media Center / Media Center Extender business model.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I thought they were doing "very well" in Europe....It's sad to hear otherwise.....

Well, all I care about is I'm getting all the amazing games in the world for my 360 and I'm happy.

I'm starting to care less and less about if MS fails or not. If they're giving me:

1. Too Human
2. BK3 (inevitable)
3. Mass Effect
4. Gears of War
5. Alan Wake
6. Viva Pinata
7. Dead Rising
8. Lost Planet
9. Blue Dragon
10.Lost Odyssey
11. Cry-on
12. Forza 2
13. Crackdown
14.RE5
15. Assassin's Creed
16. Sonic the Hedgehog
17. Half Life 2 Pack
18. Shadowrun (say what you want, it looks awesome)
19. Halo 3
20. Lumines Live
21. Conker 2 (likely, especially considering how well Live has taken off)
22. Splinter Cell:DA
23. Rainbow 6: Vegas

then I could care less who wins and who sells more units. I'm getting all ^^^^ and more in the next year and a half, that I couldn't give less of a **** as to who wins the console war and if Sony decides to whip their ass with wood or with paper towels (or with toilet paper--the more conventional games)

And I'm going to wake up tomorrow and search the whole damn Silicon Vally for a place where I can ****ing reserve the Wii. :D I'm serious.

Raistlin

open_mouth_ said:
that's why I'm asking you to explain

MS's goal is to gain as much licensing revenue as possible. Due to their commanding majority of the OS market, they created the following model:

Windows Media Center / Vista acts as a server, where you store of your media files.

A device (another PC, 360, or network device) acts as a client that can access the server over a network to grab content.

What makes this design great (for MS), is that both the client and server use software that MS licenses (and makes money off of). For them to open up one of their client devices to other servers is probably the lest likely thing they would do – since they make the most money off of their server software. They obviously want you to be tied to 'their' server.

What’s scarier is the possibility of this model being part of iHD (the networking, etc. layer – which includes MMC – for HD-DVD). If this ends up being the case, the Windows based server/clients will be the ONLY way to make managed copies of an entire format.

When purchasing Windows OS’s and client devices … you know what you’re getting. There are a number of alternatives for handling media files over a home network. In this case though, they are monopolizing an entire format.

open_mouth_ said:
Chode Chronus stuff

:lol :lol :lol Awesome!

dirtmonkey37 said:
18. Shadowrun (say what you want, it looks awesome)

I want to say no it doesn't, it's a freaking atrocity against the memory of FASA, and I hope Parish 4.5s it for every review outlet in existence to teach them a lesson not to commit such heresies in the name of squad based gun nut rubbish. MGS should stop, take the FPS they have and build a real Shadowrun rules-based RPG around it.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BURN ALL THOSE MAGIC SQUAD MARINE CHARACTER DESIGNS AND BRING BACK TIM BRADSTREET.

That is all. Thank you.

PG2G

Onix said:
What makes this design great (for MS), is that both the client and server use software that MS licenses (and makes money off of).

I don't get how doing this opens up the client at all. Unless I'm misunderstanding, the point was to allow streaming of content with ANY version of XP. Its still Microsoft on both sides and they are still getting paid. It really makes no sense to push Media Center this late in the game anyway. Vista has the functionality built in, and anyone upgrading their OS would likely go for that.

Either way, this is all said to be part of Windows Media Player 11.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117496&highlight=media+player+11

Raistlin

In that case ... fine ...

I was under the impression they ment OPEN - as in could work with other OS's.

My bad

(I am dumb)

GhaleonEB

Onix said:
I wasn't trying to be a dick ...

... when I came back to the thread (still page 1, after my initial post), I saw the animated gif and made a joke.

I'm sorry if I didn't feel it necessary to go back and edit my post after I realized someone had made a similar joke within the last 10 minutes.
Bah, I think I was the one being a dick. I was up until 2am playing Oblivion last night and woke up crabby. Sorry I even brought it up.

Raistlin

GhaleonEB said:
Bah, I think I was the one being a dick. I was up until 2am playing Oblivion last night and woke up crabby. Sorry I even brought it up.

:lol

No problem .... thanks for commenting though, it's appreciated.

GhaleonEB

Onix said:
:lol

No problem .... thanks for commenting though, it's appreciated.
I had to say something. I've been out all day, come back and go through the threads I'd posted in earlier and actually cringed at my own comments. We're good. :)

LiveFromKyoto said:
:lol :lol :lol Awesome!

I want to say no it doesn't, it's a freaking atrocity against the memory of FASA, and I hope Parish 4.5s it for every review outlet in existence to teach them a lesson not to commit such heresies in the name of squad based gun nut rubbish. MGS should stop, take the FPS they have and build a real Shadowrun rules-based RPG around it.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BURN ALL THOSE MAGIC SQUAD MARINE CHARACTER DESIGNS AND BRING BACK TIM BRADSTREET.

That is all. Thank you.

just pretend it isn't called shadowrun and you'll see that it's a pretty interesting looking title. i know that everyone thought it was going to be a shadowrun rpg and were disapointed that it wasn't... but almost noone seems to be taking what it is based on it's own merits.

<nu>faust

btw speaking of shadowrun, gow's gothic/industrial look was what i was imagining/hoping next gen shadowrun would have...sniff sniff damnn u fasa

plagiarize said:
just pretend it isn't called shadowrun and you'll see that it's a pretty interesting looking title. i know that everyone thought it was going to be a shadowrun rpg and were disapointed that it wasn't... but almost noone seems to be taking what it is based on it's own merits.

I guess...it's still a shooter that doesn't look as good as R6 Vegas, GRAW, GoW or Bioshock and will no doubt be trampled by the Halo beast. "Shadowrun, 6th best FPS of 360's first two years!" doesn't really do the franchise justice.

Crisis said:
Hey, you know, feel free to lock it. Really. I don't mind.

No way. The .gifs are just coming now!

Willy Wanka said:

So awesome.

Poor Peter.

Aw, hey, leave Bill out of this. He's a good guy, he gave half his fortune to charity. Never see the day when Stringer or Ken K do the same.

Raistlin

LiveFromKyoto said:
Aw, hey, leave Bill out of this. He's a good guy, he gave half his fortune to charity. Never see the day when Stringer or Ken K do the same.

While that is true ... you must also consider how many people, families, shareholders (and their familes), etc. his business practices have hurt.

GhaleonEB

Onix said:
While that is true ... you must also consider how many people, families, shareholders (and their familes), etc. his business practices have hurt.
While this is true, you must also consider how many business, people, families and shareholders have benefitted from his work at Microsoft.

Either way - yeah, let's leave him out of it.

X26

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:

Ah yes it's so generous of him to create a monopoly that over the years charges consumers out the ass for miniscule upgrades and to then take a small fraction of those profits and give it to a worthwhile cause

But that's a debate for another place

X26 said:
Ah yes it's so generous of him to create a monopoly that over the years charges consumers out the ass for miniscule upgrades and to then take a small fraction of those profits and give it to a worthwhile cause

But that's a debate for another place
small fraction?

Raistlin

GhaleonEB said:
While this is true, you must also consider how many business, people, families and shareholders have benefitted from his work at Microsoft.

Either way - yeah, let's leave him out of it.

Certainly a good idea to leave him out. I'm just saying he ain't a saint.

GhaleonEB

Onix said:
Certainly a good idea to leave him out. I'm just saying he ain't a saint.
I agree with you there.
I like the XBox, love what he does for charity. But he's one evil mother****er as a businessman. Cornative dissonance, big time. And that's all I'll say about it here. :p

X26

Banned
<nu>faust said:
the name of the game is capitalism my dear comrades, it's not supposed to be fair.

I understand that and admire MS in that regard, but it sure as heck doesn't mean I have to like them :)

Raistlin

GhaleonEB said:
I like the XBox, love what he does for charity. But he's one evil mother****er as a businessman. Cornative dissonance, big time. And that's all I'll say about it here. :p

Couldn't agree with you more :D

Kuroyume

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
:lol same here, feels too much like pr to me. major nelson is that you?

oh god, this wont end well. somebody tell him to watch this weeks 1up show (whats up konami?).

What happened on the 1 up show? I haven't watched that emo trash since e3.

Mar

Cosmonaut X said:
Urf.

I came in here expecting a 360 sequel to:

RollingThunder.jpg

Instead of which I got some fanboy working Microsoft's balls...

Same. Except my first Rolling Thunder experience was on the C64.

This guy works for Microsoft right?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
open_mouth_ said:

In the other thread, there was talk of media player 11 having built-in support for 360 and a possible fall dashboard update could allow it to work correctly. This is all conjecture at this point, btw.

its not conjecture. Go to microsoft.com, click on the big WMP11 button, then one of the main bullet points is media sharing. Click and it'll explicitly say you can stream videos to X360 from XP

MMaRsu

Banned
mrklaw said:
its not conjecture. Go to microsoft.com, click on the big WMP11 button, then one of the main bullet points is media sharing. Click and it'll explicitly say you can stream videos to X360 from XP

What this works already? I can stream WMV's and AVI's to my 360?

:O

Top Bottom