• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Romancing SaGa 2 now available in English for iOS/Android

Okay guys. I've played the shit out of FF games and played some DQ games (halfway through DQ V atm). Please tell me what the hype is about with this game, literally never heard of this before and I want in

Think of it as playing more like an open world, quest based, non linear, Western RPG with JRPG combat.

Also the combat is a bit like Final Fantasy 2 but without the hitting your own characters.

Aeana

Another small tip. Don't miss this door in the castle, it's easy to miss:

B1WJX3m.jpg

Inside is an NPC who will give you your first spell.

Aeana

To add to what others are saying, pa word of warning: in SaGa games and RS2 in particular, do not treat grinding as a first resort for getting past an obstacle. Enemy levels scale based on the total number of battles fought, so fighting a bunch of weak enemies will not do you any good.

Don't let that scare you from fighting, though. Fight what you want.

Also, don't ignore the blacksmith in the castle. Investing in R&D there is important to ensure you have better equipment available in future generations. Of course, this applies to other facilities in Avalon as well, which you have to pay to open, but that's a big one.

Link1110

To add to what others are saying, pa word of warning: in SaGa games and RS2 in particular, do not treat grinding as a first resort for getting past an obstacle. Enemy levels scale based on the total number of battles fought, so fighting a bunch of weak enemies will not do you any good.

Don't let that scare you from fighting, though. Fight what you want.

Also, don't ignore the blacksmith in the castle. Investing in R&D there is important to ensure you have better equipment available in future generations. Of course, this applies to other facilities in Avalon as well, which you have to pay to open, but that's a big one.

Boss levels scale too. The seven heroes all have different forms. Some are based on party levels, but at least one is event based.

Is there a good 'instruction manual' type resource in English? One that explains the concepts like some helpful posts here have, or are the posts here all we really need to know?

It doesn't seem to tutorialise anything anywhere. :)

I killed everything in the cave except the blue puddle.

I didn't really mean to either. They were just in the way of the treasure!

Wow I can't believe this is real! Is it confirmed/rumored for any other platforms besides mobile? I don't mind playing on my phone but it's definitely not my preferred platform.

I killed everything in the cave except the blue puddle.

I didn't really mean to either. They were just in the way of the treasure!

I think generally in SaGa games, if you play through the encounters that occur naturally you should be fine. It's only when you go out of your way to grind levels from small-fry that you actually end up making the game harder for yourself.

Oh, this is out! What's the general impression so far, besides it looking a bit rushed?

"Android 4.2.2 or above recommended" on their iOS description. lol how did this pass Apple's QA.

I think you might be able to play it offline if you leave the app running (and hope it doesn't close while in the background) after launching it while online. Haven't tested much, but it definitely has to authenticate with the online server when it launches. Pretty bullshit for a premium priced single player JRPG. :/

Yeah, for $18 heavy DRM nagging is a bit BS. In fact I don't think I've ever even seen or bought an always-online iOS game.

MilkBeard

This games movement could use some updating. The d-pad is too small, for instance. I'm having trouble having precise movement.

The d-pad is the same style as the Final Fantasy ports, it's just that the d-pad stays in the bottom corner.

Still, the movement is a bit clunky with this system, especially with the slower movement. Another reason why gamepad support should be the norm.

The d-pad is the same style as the Final Fantasy ports, it's just that the d-pad stays in the bottom corner.

Still, the movement is a bit clunky with this system, especially with the slower movement. Another reason why gamepad support should be the norm.

It's not as good as the DQ d-pads. I've never had issues with those. This one goes far too much into the edge of the screen.

aravuus

Yeah, 23 euros for a game with a harsh DRM is too much for me. Especially when it's a game I have no idea I'll enjoy.

Gonna wait for a sale or at least for some more impressions from SaGa virgins.

I've got DQ IV (and V, and VI) to keep me occupied anyway if I feel like playing a JRPG on my phone.

This games movement could use some updating. The d-pad is too small, for instance. I'm having trouble having precise movement.
You don't need to touch the dpad. Anywhere works, same with DQ (at least DQ1-3, can't remember with others).
I realised during battle you can swipe and tap anywhere to select an option, which helps hugely with playability.

Aeana

It's not as good as the DQ d-pads. I've never had issues with those. This one goes far too much into the edge of the screen.

The dpad is only for show... you can turn any area on the screen into a dpad by dragging there. In fact, I thought the dpad display was off by default.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Yayyyy. Can't decide whether I should buy this for my phone or Ipad. Does it even work for the ipad? Or just phones?

MilkBeard

The dpad is only for show... you can turn any area on the screen into a dpad by dragging there. In fact, I thought the dpad display was off by default.

Yeah, that's what I meant to say. And I thought that it was off at first. I must have turned it on in the settings. But yeah, you can move anywhere on the screen.

Eusis

Is that DRM Android only, or on iOS as well? I know they have acted that way before due to rampant Android piracy, but if it's also on iOS that'll be really lame.

kubricks

To be honestly with everyone I have never been able to complete RS2/3 (on SNES) when I was young due to its difficulty. I often have no idea what to do and where to go most of the time then when I wander about the maps i am suddennly wiped out by a boss or sometimes even trash mods.... I do love the concept as a whole, the battle system and music... should I give it a go again this time on iOS?

MilkBeard

To be honestly with everyone I have never been able to complete RS2/3 (on SNES) when I was young due to its difficulty. I often have no idea what to do and where to go most of the time then when I wander about the maps i am suddennly wiped out by a boss or sometimes even trash mods.... I do love the concept as a whole, the battle system and music... should I give it a go again this time on iOS?

It depends. It's kind of pricey for not knowing if you will like it. You might want to read up about the systems. The game has complex systems that develop based on your use/experience. And the game is pretty open, so it's easy to get lost.

Might want to read some faqs first and see if it makes sense.

Teknoman

Man all 2D RPG remakes/remasters need to be done in a similar fashion. Looks as you'd expect a 32bit version without all the crappy smoothing.

MilkBeard

Man all 2D RPG remakes/remasters need to be done in a similar fashion. Looks as you'd expect a 32bit version without all the crappy smoothing.

Yep, I actually prefer it to just be high detail and pixelated. I was thinking I'd actually like to play this on a bigger screen.

Teknoman

Yep, I actually prefer it to just be high detail and pixelated. I was thinking I'd actually like to play this on a bigger screen.

Definitely so. I cant say I wouldnt have been even happier with the Vita version heh.

On that note, how is a Flail a rapier style weapon?

Just in case anyone was holding off due to touch controls, the game appears to have native controller support, at least on the GPD XD. It is a bit haphazard in that you kind of have to figure out what some of the buttons do and once and a while may find it easier to touch a menu on a new screen, but I can use the inventory, move on the map, and fight battles entirely with the controller.

Teknoman

X0MMxMD.png

Whats that "Rot Drag" about? Also when I move the cursor to the other characters with the Kris Knife acc, it shows what look like just odd combos of text.

Link1110

After seeing that Adventures of Mana was released on Amazon just a week ago, I went iOS, maybe I'll double dip when Amazon gets it.

That Arte Piazza logo at the beginning is AWKWARD. Makes me think I'm about to play Dragon Quest.

This game looks pretty poor on a tablet (on Android). The sprites' resolution doesn't match the backgrounds at all, sprites jiggle a bit when animating, and the backgrounds are heavily artifacted. Which hurts, because the art is pretty nice. This is just sloppy UI work.

I'll post my first impressions too:

I'm disappointed it's locked at 30fps - it doesn't "feel" right for a primarily 2D game.

As others have mentioned sprites and backgrounds don't seem to be placed "pixel perfect", so there's this distracting shimmering that happens whenever the screen moves.

The interface is OK. It's an odd hybrid of traditional and touch-driven, as in there are no virtual buttons to minick a controller but the interface itself is a window-driven one.

which actually makes it a bit difficult to select items off a list as the touch targets aren't large (at least on my 5s), but I noticed you can swipe your thumb to do the usual left/right/up/down navigation. But this is far behind Arte Piazza's work with Dragon Quest V on touch.

The translation doesn't have the usual editing and polish you'd expect as well - I'm guessing no editors worked on this project and the translation was entirely done by a single person.

So any other tips for beginners? I've got everyone using long swords now except James who is using the Great Sword and Therese who I switched to bow. Good idea to put other characters on martial arts too?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I wonder if this will run on my old ass ipad...

I sure as hell hope so since everything that I try to run on my android phone has ended in failure for the most part.

Hope all the others new to the series will enjoy it. Damned solid game with a great soundtrack.

Maybe with SQEX releasing these in the West they will start to actually bring over the older OSTs that never made it to the West this time around.

MilkBeard

So any other tips for beginners? I've got everyone using long swords now except James who is using the Great Sword and Therese who I switched to bow. Good idea to put other characters on martial arts too?

Be careful with those pesky chests, lol

I'm not sure how martial arts are in this game. It's worth checking out, because there were some pretty amazing moves in SaGa Frontier for martial arts. But this is an earlier game so I'd have to experiment with it.

Top Bottom