• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Romancing SaGa 2 now available in English for iOS/Android

kromeo

I just don't get how touch dpad is so offensive in a game with turn based battles. It shows a tremendous lack of ability to adapt to controls. In a platformer, sure. Maybe I could understand (I don't because I beat Monster Hunter 2 Freedom Unite on my iPhone with touch controls): But in Romancing SaGa? How is this even an issue?

Doesn't matter if its turn based or not, just moving around is clunky in a lot of games with touch controls. FF dimensions was bad and DQ8 was pretty much unplayable

Battlechili

Banned
Oh neat! I hope this eventually gets ported to PC, but even if it doesn't this is awesome news! Its very surprising to hear of such an old title finally receiving an English translation, especially an official one at that! Its awesome that these old titles can be brought back via iOS/Android! Does this mean there's still hope for an official Western release of the game Live A Live? I WANT TO BELIEVE

Eusis

Doesn't matter if its turn based or not, just moving around is clunky in a lot of games with touch controls. FF dimensions was bad and DQ8 was pretty much unplayable
I feel like it's manageable but you just need to get over the discomfort, kind of like needing to use an analog stick instead of a D-Pad in menus for some of us where it's relevant (many N64 games, but still some newer ones like Darksiders.)
No 3DS support?
It... was never announced for it? And SE usually doesn't include 3DS for these releases?

This is looking great! With what looks like a respectable graphics update, a ton of new content, and a NG+, Square have really upped their mobile game. RS2 might be setting a new standard for mobile ports.

duckroll

Just expect it by the end of May. They put up the English site for Adventures of Mana at the start of Jan without a date, and eventually it was released at the start of Feb. IIRC.

Square2015

Just expect it by the end of May. They put up the English site for Adventures of Mana at the start of Jan without a date, and eventually it was released at the start of Feb. IIRC.
I think they're waiting to hear feedback from fans, so they can tweak anything before release.

Battlechili

Banned
Vita or bust.

A PC port would undoubtedly be just as lazy with a mobile phone UI as the rest of them.
Its true that they never seem to change the mobile UI when porting to PC, but stuff like that is usually fixed via modders. I believe there are mods for every FF mobile to PC port to fix the mobile UI, so I'm sure if this got ported that'd be fixed too. I'd argue Square is getting better though; IX was the first port by Square to have mouse support.

Madame M

Banned
It... was never announced for it? And SE usually doesn't include 3DS for these releases?

I was just being a sassy grandma, as much as I love the 3DS I don't expect All The Games to come out for it, I just think it's silly that people expected Vita support.

Eusis

I was just being a sassy grandma, as much as I love the 3DS I don't expect All The Games to come out for it, I just think it's silly that people expected Vita support.
The Vita version exists though. It's why people keep bringing this up and get frustrated with SE over it, it's like ignoring the XB1 version of a game that's also on PS4 when you don't even have to worry about a physical release.

EDIT: Though a fitting analogy may be that it's like ignoring a Wii U version that exists. Except I guess I'm a bizarre reversal it's a game that really can be more desirable to play with touch controls.

Madame M

Banned
The Vita version exists though. It's why people keep bringing this up and get frustrated with SE over it, it's like ignoring the XB1 version of a game that's also on PS4 when you don't even have to worry about a physical release.

I think the XB1 and PS4 comparison is a little unfair though because people actually have phones and don't have Vitas where XBox and PS4 is more even

Eusis

I think the XB1 and PS4 comparison is a little unfair though because people actually have phones and don't have Vitas where XBox and PS4 is more even
XB1 isn't doing so hot in Japan (though PS4 isn't as lively as it could be either) so it's a realistic possibility bringing a western game over there, but it's also why I threw in Wii U as that's more directly relevant to consoles and not a situation that's more iOS vs Android in most of the world.

MilkBeard

Just saw the website for the first time, it's a cool little site. Man, I am so pumped to play a new SaGa experience with that Kawazu touch. The new content seems cool as well. I hope we get a release date announcement soon for the west.

I also like the redesign of the graphics. I think this is leagues better than the Final Fantasy remakes on mobile. The backgrounds in particular seem hand drawn in some places.

Z3M0G

s3_ballon1_img.gif
s3_ballon2_img.gif

FFXVI, why couldn't you have done this?

Looks great. I may buy it out of principle.

Just one more week. I'm looking forward to this to round out my summer game collection.

FFXVI, why couldn't you have done this?

Looks great. I may buy it out of principle.
I believe a different team handled this version. I agree, this is what Final Fantasy 5 and 6 Mobile SHOULD have looked like.

Just one more week. I'm looking forward to this to round out my summer game collection.

I believe a different team handled this version. I agree, this is what Final Fantasy 5 and 6 Mobile SHOULD have looked like.

Yup. The graphics in FF5 and 6 Mobile were done by the original Square artist who worked on the SNES versions of the games, unlike this.

Wingus

I have booked Thursday and Friday off for this. :D Plus it's bank holiday the following Monday here in the UK, so it's 5 days of SaGa fun for me.

hampig

No? I played through a majority of DQ8 with touch controls and loved it. They implement some great systems to make it work. If I could do portrait mode I'd much prefer the IOS version overall honestly.

Do we have any OT plans? I'd love to work one out but I won't be around a desktop for most of the day.

Clever names? Romance of the Seven Heroes is all I've got.

Hmm, I'll be paid that day.

But probably still too tight to get right away, perhaps next week.
I've been Turtling Away most of my Google survey bucks for months. Soon all of my time giving Google and other companies opinions and data will be paid back to me with this game.

vag 2.0

a patch for the japanese version releases today, fixes for some of the bugs that have been mentioned previously i guess?

Apparently there is a Vita version in Japan

Mother Fucker

SE just does NOT want anything to do with Vita.

Can I at least get gamepad support for the Android versions or something?

Not true, it's a matter of getting used to it, much like how an analogue stick felt unwieldy for the first time for many of us brought up on D-Pads.

This piece does a good job explaining why Dragon Quest V on smartphones has great controls and a thoughtful interface.

While Romancing Saga 2 doesn't seem to take the same approach to a touch-driven RPG interface, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt since it shares the same developer (Arte Piazza)

Top Bottom