• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Romancing SaGa 2 now available in English for iOS/Android

Is it sad that this is my most anticipated game of the year? I've stumbled through the Japanese version and loved it, but it's been a dream to play this in my mother tongue

MilkBeard

I'm really excited for this game, however, I should not have been surprised at that price for such an old game. Ah well, if this is my only chance to play another sweet Kawazu game, so be it...

Wingus

Is it sad that this is my most anticipated game of the year? I've stumbled through the Japanese version and loved it, but it's been a dream to play this in my mother tongue

Nope. It is mine as well over anything else coming this year. Persona 5 being a very close second if that sees a western release this year.

randomkid

yeah dudes where is that OFFICIAL THREAD

wanna see dozens of HYPE posts

getting ready to spend more on this game than the combined total of all other mobile games in my purchase history. releases like this are special.

Okay guys. I've played the shit out of FF games and played some DQ games (halfway through DQ V atm). Please tell me what the hype is about with this game, literally never heard of this before and I want in

Saga games have always been a nice jrpg palette cleanser.

Great art and interesting battle systems

Itll take you back to when jrpgs were dime a dozen and many creators were toying with turn based mechanics to make something addictive and fun

Okay guys. I've played the shit out of FF games and played some DQ games (halfway through DQ V atm). Please tell me what the hype is about with this game, literally never heard of this before and I want in

Lost gem of an snes square soft game we never got. Awesome music and weird but fun mechanics. Experimental story.

Vamphuntr

Does the App store update at a specific time. I've waited for the English fan translation that never happened forever so 18$ is nothing.

Stuff usually hits Wednesday night or around midnight of Thursday.

Check www.toucharcade.com to see when games are up on the shop. The games will be up and you can find them by searching for them, but they won't appear on the New Games section until tomorrow. At least that's how it is on ios.

MilkBeard

yeah dudes where is that OFFICIAL THREAD

wanna see dozens of HYPE posts

getting ready to spend more on this game than the combined total of all other mobile games in my purchase history. releases like this are special.
Yes, all five of us:).

No, I am happy to see people hyped for a SaGa game. There's not much of a Western fanbase for the series.

I'm pretty hyped to try the game.

Erdrick

I know little of this game other than old screenshots in EGM in the early-mid 90's which basically relegated it to another RPG that I'd never ever get to play in English.

Who would think that some 20 years later, I'd be playing it on a freaking cellphone?

Ain't technology grand?

The music kicks ass, if what I've heard over the years is any indication.

Kawazu games are always... odd, but they sometimes come together in spite of their makeup. This looks to be one of them.

The price is still a bargain considering that we are getting a full-fledged gem of a game. I'd take that over 90 bucks for a new PS4 game any day.

I'm interested in this.

EDIT: $25.90 in Canada. Still worth it.

MilkBeard

Bought. I'm a little broke, but hyped as hell. This is worth it. I guess it's worth paying this price for supporting a series that I love.

And I'm pretty happy with how they've remastered the game, from the screens that I've seen. Kawazu knows how to handle his games.

duckroll

Hmmm. Only had a chance to check out the intro so far. Some good news and some bad news. The good news is that it looks pretty great. The graphics are bright and vibrant, the sprites are great. The English localization itself seems pretty decent, but there is already a clear sign that this was pretty rushed. In the first few narrative lines of the intro, I already spotted a spacing error, so clearly there hasn't been much of an editing pass. :(

Another piece of bad news - this is DRM'd up the wazoo. I was in an area just out of data range when I started up the app, and bam I get an error message "COULD NOT AUTHENTICATE - QUIT?" (._.)

Link1110

I prefer Android over iOS, and bring in China means no play store for me. Do these things usually go up on Amazon underground on release day?

Aeana

A tip for those playing this game for the very first time ever, because it's not obvious... dashing makes all encounters back attacks, which wrecks your formation. In the original version, dashing made enemies invisible and so this was kind of obvious, but in this version, that doesn't happen, and you get the option for auto-dash. Don't do it.

MilkBeard

Holy...that intro is HYPE.

This is going to be amazing, I can feel it.

EDIT: It's too bad about the DRM. So there is no way to play it offline? I was hoping that wouldn't be the case.

EDIT 2: I put my phone into airplane mode and have been playing fine so far.

$27.15 AUD for Australians wondering (Google Play).

I bought it. I haven't played an actual SaGa game before.

Uh oh, always online? [EDIT: Appears to not be, via MilkBeard. Thanks :)]

Ourobolus

Banned
Translation seems a little off - I just picked up a "Kris Knife," and it's a...necklace.
Also i seem to break formation every single battle?

duckroll

I think you might be able to play it offline if you leave the app running (and hope it doesn't close while in the background) after launching it while online. Haven't tested much, but it definitely has to authenticate with the online server when it launches. Pretty bullshit for a premium priced single player JRPG. :/

Ourobolus

Banned
The translation isn't off. That's what the item is. クリスナイフ in Japanese.
Ok. Just seemed weird.

Why do I break formation in EVERY single battle?
Omg it's because I am dashing when I start a fight? Jesus.

MilkBeard

Yeah, I can confirm that you need to be online to at least start the app. But after passing that initial authentication you can play offline.

Kinda lame actually, I don't know why they need to do that.

Aeana

Why is my formation being broken when I'm the one running into the monsters?

I think I figured it out. You have to be walking, not dashing.

Sigh

I posted this only a few posts up...

A tip for those playing this game for the very first time ever, because it's not obvious... dashing makes all encounters back attacks, which wrecks your formation. In the original version, dashing made enemies invisible and so this was kind of obvious, but in this version, that doesn't happen, and you get the option for auto-dash. Don't do it.

I tried to be helpful and nobody read it!

MilkBeard

So yeah, it's best to turn auto-dash off in the settings, and then hold the "D" button to dash when you need, but walk while approaching enemies.

Um, so I left the cave because Gerard died in a fight where I was back attacked. And now I can't re-enter.

And it turns out he's alive anyways?

Aeana

Um, so I left the cave because Gerard died in a fight where I was back attacked. And now I can't re-enter.

And it turns out he's alive anyways?

It's just a tutorial dungeon. You missed out on 100,000 gold for your empire, which sounds like a lot but overall meh. Still, you might as well start over since it's so early on.
Also, SaGa games employ the life point (LP) system where you can die and get auto-revived that many times before you're gone forever.

It's just a tutorial dungeon. You missed out on 100,000 gold for your empire, which sounds like a lot but overall meh. Still, you might as well start over since it's so early on.
Also, SaGa games employ the life point (LP) system where you can die and get auto-revived that many times before you're gone forever.

I restarted my game.

MilkBeard

Also for those who are new to the system- if you flick the screen left or right during battle you can see the menus for your characters' other skills. One character has a magic spell in the beginning that will be really helpful.

SaGa is the Souls of JRPGs (as cliched as that statement is). It will tell you to get good very quickly.

Top Bottom