• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Romancing SaGa 2 now available in English for iOS/Android

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm 100% unfamiliar, so yeah. Might have to look up some info/hot tips online if I end up buying this.

While it looks like old school final fantasy, it plays totally different. In the sense with how the combat mechanics are.

http://saga.wikia.com/wiki/Romancing_SaGa_2

Once you get used to how things work with the game its pretty great. Just dont worry if you get wiped a bunch of times lol.

http://saga.wikia.com/wiki/Tech_Sparking <-- is the important stuff as its mainly how you will be trying to deal out damage to kill things, esp with the bosses.

Its kinda weird if you are just reading it, will make more sense when you play with the game itself.

aravuus

While it looks like old school final fantasy, it plays totally different. In the sense with how the combat mechanics are.

http://saga.wikia.com/wiki/Romancing_SaGa_2

Once you get used to how things work with the game its pretty great. Just dont worry if you get wiped a bunch of times lol.

http://saga.wikia.com/wiki/Tech_Sparking <-- is the important stuff as its mainly how you will be trying to deal out damage to kill things, esp with the bosses.

Awesome, thanks!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Western localization of Japanese RPGs is such a non-sure fire thing these days

This I'm gonna have to disagree, things have gotten MUCH better in the last few years in this regard. Most RPGs now get localized, from the big whoppers of translations all the way down to niche titles. I never thought we'd get 7th Dragon III, Trails in the Sky SC and 3rd, DQ7 3DS, even Summon Night 5 (a freaking PSP game in 2015!), but here we are... I can't think of the last big RPG that was skipped over for localization. (PSP had a lot...).

redcrayon

This I'm gonna have to disagree, things have gotten MUCH better in the last few years in this regard. Most RPGs now get localized, from the big whoppers of translations all the way down to niche titles. I never thought we'd get 7th Dragon III, Trails in the Sky SC and 3rd, DQ7 3DS, even Summon Night 5 (a freaking PSP game in 2015!), but here we are... I can't think of the last big RPG that was skipped over for localization. (PSP had a lot...).
No sign of 7th Dragon and Summon Night in Europe. I see what you're saying, but 'Western' isn't synonymous with 'North America'.

SkyOdin

Are the original Final Fantasy Legend games worth playing?

Yes. I'm actually playing through one right now. This thread reminded me that I had an incomplete playthrough of Final Fantasy Legend 2 that I wanted to finish, so I fired up my Gameboy Advance.

They are not incomplete or watered down RPGs in the slightest, and are still fun experiences. However, they are different from modern RPGs in that they are much simpler and more straightforward. Almost no cutscenes, really short dialogue, and relatively simple objectives. For my part, I find it refreshing. It is a nice change of pace from stuff that can be almost too bloated with story content. You can dive right into the action whenever you boot up one of the Final Fantasy Legends games.

It took SC years to get moving and it literally took three years for DQ7 to come out. Summon Night 5 took two years. SaGa 2 and 3 ds remakes weren't released, so there was literally no hope in thinking this would either. Your examples are really poor given how long they took to come out.

Waiting almost half a decade or more for localization isn't what I call "sure fire". Especially given fans petitioned games like DQ7 3ds getting released for years. No one with reasonable faculties expected it to come out in English and SE is more than likely going to take a loss with the title. You're better off putting time into learning Japanese in that same time span, and not worrying about whether or not a game is released in English because it no longer effects you. Complaining about Romancing SaGa 2, the first SaGa release in English in ten years, not coming out to your Vita system, when SE NA had all the reason in the world to ignore it, is the very definition of ungrateful.

If every English speaking person asking for DQ7 demanded to be released in English had bothered to put time in Japanese in that same time span, they could have been able to import it about half a year ago and be able to understand every word. Instead, they waited for a surprise announcement no one thought would ever come.

The wait game of "is it? Will it?" Of English localization sure sounds fun.

The entitlement from the Vita camp makes it even more hilarious because they're potential customers who refuse to buy the game they wanted, whose potential audience is already small enough and niche to begin with. So when the game fails because it didn't get enough sales because "wah wah Vita", SE will no longer find a suitable reason to try releasing another SaGa remake, and why should they? If the sales are that poor, why would they want to gamble on the new SaGa either? This is the hilarity of gamers: they doom themselves over petty system wars.

AmyS

I remember being very interested in Romancing SaGa 2 the first time I saw a preview of the Super Famicom version.

Electronic Gaming Monthly issue 53 - December 1993

3Zz9THu.jpg

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
It took SC years to get moving and it literally took three years for DQ7 to come out. Summon Night 5 took two years. SaGa 2 and 3 ds remakes weren't released, so there was literally no hope in thinking this would either. Your examples are really poor given how long they took to come out.

Waiting almost half a decade or more for localization isn't what I call "sure fire". Especially given fans petitioned games like DQ7 3ds getting released for years. No one with reasonable faculties expected it to come out in English and SE is more than likely going to take a loss with the title. You're better off putting time into learning Japanese in that same time span, and not worrying about whether or not a game is released in English because it no longer effects you. Complaining about Romancing SaGa 2, the first SaGa release in English in ten years, not coming out to your Vita system, when SE NA had all the reason in the world to ignore it, is the very definition of ungrateful.

If every English speaking person asking for DQ7 demanded to be released in English had bothered to put time in Japanese in that same time span, they could have been able to import it about half a year ago and be able to understand every word. Instead, they waited for a surprise announcement no one thought would ever come.

The wait game of "is it? Will it?" Of English localization sure sounds fun.

The entitlement from the Vita camp makes it even more hilarious because they're potential customers who refuse to buy the game they wanted, whose potential audience is already small enough and niche to begin with. So when the game fails because it didn't get enough sales because "wah wah Vita", SE will no longer find a suitable reason to try releasing another SaGa remake, and why should they? If the sales are that poor, why would they want to gamble on the new SaGa either? This is the hilarity of gamers: they doom themselves over petty system wars.

This is true. I would think that sales on any platform would be good drivers to make SE want to release the games more and even try out other platforms.

Reminds me of that silly boycott (maybe it was only Gamefaqs) where some people started a boycott on Tales of Graces because Vesperia PS3 wasn't getting an NA release.

This is true. I would think that sales on any platform would be good drivers to make SE want to release the games more and even try out other platforms.

Reminds me of that silly boycott (maybe it was only Gamefaqs) where some people started a boycott on Tales of Graces because Vesperia PS3 wasn't getting an NA release.

Hahaha. That's not a good way to protest. Bahahahaha.

Hopefully soon. Generally the announcement vs. the release of apps like this tends to be really quick, right? They did say there'll be more info soon.

Shame there's still nothing. Last week was FFIX PC so I guess it wouldn't release the same week, was hoping it'd be this week. Next week please! Would love something to play after I finish Stella Glow.

Eusis

. . . That's kind of cruel after a few days dormant. That was known from the start and the month isn't over yet.

EDIT: And no, still nothing new in the Twitter.

Boogiepop

How important/worthwhile is the added content? Like, maaaaybe I could be swayed to this version if that stuff is worth it, but I actually have the cartridge sitting in my Super Famicom backlog, and while I realize everyone won't share this opinion, I'm reeeeeeally not liking the look of the visuals here. Like, something about them just makes me think of cheap RPG maker junk, at least from the trailer.

(Note that of course I'm still happy for everyone else who doesn't have the option of playing the Japanese original, just trying to figure out if this is really "the" version to play...)

Looks like it could be a ton of fun, really!

Just please please PLEASE don't fuck up the controls. For the love of god, no dynamic d-pad, if it has to be controlled with a d-pad on the touch screen, make it fucking static.

Most mobile rpgs tend to offer both options.

Wingus

Holy crap, it looks so good.

When this game comes out, it will take priority over any other game I may be playing at the time.

Teknoman

Would a trailer count as new news for a new thread? Or is SaGa too niche for that :p

Glad to finally have official hashtags for the franchise though:

#RomaSaGa2, #RomancingSaGa2, or #SaGaSeries

StereoVsn

Personally I don't buy games anymore on mobile for over say $5-7 because I have no guarantee that the game is going to work next iOS update (Android is a bit better but quite similar). So when I update my iPhone and iPad to iOS 10 this fall there is a good chance that a lot of my games stop working.

Hence I am not willing to buy SE "premium" priced games (or really any publisher). ibhad enough issues with SE and Capcom games as it is and don't trust them to maintain compatibility every time Apple decides to break APIs. I do understand it from publisher perspective as its additional expense but it's not a situation I want to deal with anymore.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Personally I don't buy games anymore on mobile for over say $5-7 because I have no guarantee that the game is going to work next iOS update (Android is a bit better but quite similar). So when I update my iPhone and iPad to iOS 10 this fall there is a good chance that a lot of my games stop working.

Hence I am not willing to buy SE "premium" priced games (or really any publisher). ibhad enough issues with SE and Capcom games as it is and don't trust them to maintain compatibility every time Apple decides to break APIs. I do understand it from publisher perspective as its additional expense but it's not a situation I want to deal with anymore.

I believe that SE, while occasionally slow on updates, have updated most of their old games to work with the newer versions of iOS and Android, no?

I've only recently acquire an ipad so I can't really comment but the android versions have been working well for me despite my phone being quite new and updated.

Eusis

It's a reason why I've been kind of down on mobile gaming, as it's a really, really problematic platform for a lot of reasons that aren't purely "we don't like touch controls." Hopefully those issues get sorted out (more reliably working across OS updates, SOMETHING happens to throttle the current F2P setup or at least keep it from being problematic, ets.) This seems to be a higher end effort from SE though and as noted they've been better about keeping games functional across OS updates, so I'm willing to give this a fair shake anyway.

StereoVsn

It's a reason why I've been kind of down on mobile gaming, as it's a really, really problematic platform for a lot of reasons that aren't purely "we don't like touch controls." Hopefully those issues get sorted out (more reliably working across OS updates, SOMETHING happens to throttle the current F2P setup or at least keep it from being problematic, ets.) This seems to be a higher end effort from SE though and as noted they've been better about keeping games functional across OS updates, so I'm willing to give this a fair shake anyway.
Chaos Rings 1&2 and a few other games still don't work. World Ends with You took them a year to update. The problem is you just don't know what happens just 6 months away. Personally I find the entire proposition ridiculous and as a customer at this point k don't care whose fault it is.

If the situation gets resolved at some point, well I have a very long wish list. :)

Most do, but FF VI for example still doesn't, as far as I know. RG2 is a SE game too, right? Or at least is nowadays. Pretty sure IX didn't have it either.

So I'm not exactly optimistic.

Makes sense. Look at JP gameplay. I looked at it and it didn't have a static d pad. In fact, I didn't see d pad at all. But I'm not sure if they're they were using a controller.

As I posted in the other thread: "Your Majesty, we have grew the tree in Avalon!"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Hmmm. Hm.

NEe5OQ8.jpg

emot-v.gif

(Granted, I've hardly been immune to typos myself
emot-v.gif
but.)

I'm still really looking forward to this, and it seems like they do want it to be successful. It sounds big and interesting, and I wouldn't mind some big and interesting right now!

Chaos Rings 1&2 and a few other games still don't work. World Ends with You took them a year to update. The problem is you just don't know what happens just 6 months away. Personally I find the entire proposition ridiculous and as a customer at this point k don't care whose fault it is.

If the situation gets resolved at some point, well I have a very long wish list. :)

I'd be substantially less annoyed about Square Enix's massive failures on this if pretty much every single one of them wasn't a result of their mindnumbingly idiotic DRM system on their older releases (they validate the files on every boot and something about the way the verification works (some kind of checking for custom kernels maybe?) causes it to crash every time there's a significant change to the OS. On the bright side they haven't used it on new games like 2 years (which is why complaints have died down a lot) .

I honestly hate Square Enix for this so much. I LOVE Romancing SaGa 3 and SaGa Frontier and wanted to play Romancing SaGa 2 in English for around 16-17 years now since I found the series with SaGa Frontier. I could almost forgive it being a phone game if it had gamepad support but last I heard it doesn't. Hell, they even acknowledged that the Vita version is the preferred version for the physical buttons among the team and they don't even bother giving us that version.

I realize where they are coming from as phone gaming is popular with a lot of people especially in Japan but it definitely sucks for those of us that don't like touch d-pad nonsense...

duckroll

I realize where they are coming from as phone gaming is popular with a lot of people especially in Japan but it definitely sucks for those of us that don't like touch d-pad nonsense...

Square Enix isn't interested in the Vita as a platform outside of Japan. They will rather port a non-phone game like Setsuna to PC just to release it on PS4 + Steam rather than bothering with a Vita release. The sooner you learn to #dealwithit the better. Vita = dead.

I just don't get how touch dpad is so offensive in a game with turn based battles. It shows a tremendous lack of ability to adapt to controls. In a platformer, sure. Maybe I could understand (I don't because I beat Monster Hunter 2 Freedom Unite on my iPhone with touch controls): But in Romancing SaGa? How is this even an issue?

Square Enix isn't interested in the Vita as a platform outside of Japan. They will rather port a non-phone game like Setsuna to PC just to release it on PS4 + Steam rather than bothering with a Vita release. The sooner you learn to #dealwithit the better. Vita = dead.

Honestly not bringing the Vita version isn't even my main problem. The lack of gamepad support on the android version seems like a silly oversight.

SkyOdin

I just don't get how touch dpad is so offensive in a game with turn based battles. It shows a tremendous lack of ability to adapt to controls. In a platformer, sure. Maybe I could understand (I don't because I beat Monster Hunter 2 Freedom Unite on my iPhone with touch controls): But in Romancing SaGa? How is this even an issue?
To be fair, while Romancing SaGa 2 has turn-based combat, the game doesn't have classic random battles. Instead, you initiate battle when you touch an enemy moving around the field. So avoiding encounters requires some real-time dodging.

Depending on how it's positioned and such they can be kinda awkward (accidentally scrolling through / activating dialogue when trying to move or hiding bits of the screen). I generally prefer touch as "cursor" for turn based phone games as a result since it means there's no awkward overlay but that's got issues too if precision (like SRPGs) is required unless you can cancel.

It's not a deal breaker for me I've finished games with touch d-pad + buttons on my phone but it does feel less natural to me than either a game pad or an interface designed for touch.

duckroll

Honestly not bringing the Vita version isn't even my main problem. The lack of gamepad support on the android version seems like a silly oversight.

I don't see why they can't patch it in if that's really the case. Tweet them and let them know you would support the game if it had gamepad support? It is certainly a silly oversight, and one that plagued FFIX too.

Eusis

It... might also be worth finding criticisms of the Vita versions too, even if it's just sort of going sour grapes with this: in this case it sounds like it can have some actual loading when going into some buildings IIRC. For something of this scale that sounds kind of unusual to have happen and probably could've been avoided!

I'd definitely like to have the game on anything with actual buttons (and still portable preferably [geez even supporting iOS controllers for when there's a deal on one would do]) but it doesn't sound like they actually even care in Japan and drop the pretext entirely outside of it. And frankly if the Vita versions are always that badly phoned in I'd probably just stick with iOS/Android anyway!

MilkBeard

Holy Shit, can not wait. A new SaGa experience awaits! One of my favorite, long-lost RPG series. Will definitely pick this up.

The port looks great, too. I really miss the diversity, lore and mystique of a good SaGa title.

Also, re: Touchpad Controls...You'll use the touch screen, and you'll like it! It's a menu based JRPG that (most likely) doesn't use active time battle...there isn't much of a downside here for touch screen, to be honest.

Top Bottom