• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Romancing SaGa 2 now available in English for iOS/Android

Wingus

Sitting here listening to "Encounter with the Seven Heroes"; quite possibly one of the best songs in RS2, as well as in the SaGa series as a whole :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS7GAoEcbyk

RS2 was the game that introduced the now-staple feature with the 'lightbulb' / sparking system that triggers when characters learn new abilities or dodge techniques.

I also love the game's structure of going through several generations in order to defeat the 7 Heroes, as well as the altering appearances/difficulty of these bosses depending on when and what you do in the game. For me it's a really special game and I love this one dearly.

T4u4LIz.png

This is why banning over Vita "localization" (port has been done and heck so has translation) is puzzling.
It's not puzzling one bit.

This thread is about the iOS/Andround version. Says so in the title, says so in the first post.

With that information, what does 95% of the posts being "mobile sucks" or crybabying about the Vita contribute to the discussion the topic is supposed to be about?

If the hardware the game is released on more important to you than the game itself, perhaps you could start a new thread to discuss that?

Yasumi

Banned
It's not puzzling one bit.

This thread is about the iOS/Andround version. Says so in the title, says so in the first post.

With that information, what does 95% of the posts being "mobile sucks" or crybabying about the Vita contribute to the discussion the topic is supposed to be about?

If the hardware the game is released on more important to you than the game itself, perhaps you could start a new thread to discuss that?
That was at the very beginning of the thread, literally page 1, when people discovered that the game will only be localized on 2/3 of the platforms it's available on. It's not really crybabying when people are discussing new news about a game they might've wanted to play on their platform of choice, which already exists, and is now no longer a possibility.

Haha the Vita train just won't die.

I'm shocked SE announced the new SaGa for Vita.

This thread is a great example of game player entitlement. This game coming to the west on any platform is a miracle and I was perfectly fine just playing the Japanese version on my phone. Now I don't have to. Even though I can buy it and play right this second. Western localization of Japanese RPGs is such a non-sure fire thing these days that complaining about a mobile remake of a turn based snes game, a game that I remind you that has never made it officially in English, makes many of you look absolutely foolish. All in the name of a lack of physical buttons. For a turn based snes rpg. This is why I don't tell people I play games as a hobby. What an utterly pathetic player base.

This sounds amazing.

You'll either love it or hate it. For me, I love the franchise. I own every game. But I'll conceede it's not for everyone. As much as I adore the franchise, I'll admit they aren't necessarily the most technically sound or best designed. But that weirdness is sort of an appeal to me.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

This thread is a great example of game player entitlement. This game coming to the west on any platform is a miracle and I was perfectly fine just playing the Japanese version on my phone. Now I don't have to. Even though I can buy it and play right this second. Western localization of Japanese RPGs is such a non-sure fire thing these days that complaining about a mobile remake of a turn based snes game, a game that I remind you that has never made it officially in English, makes many of you look absolutely foolish. All in the name of a lack of physical buttons. For a turn based snes rpg. This is why I don't tell people I play games as a hobby. What an utterly pathetic player base.

I would consider being grateful/accepting for somethings' mere existence kinda sad as well.
I can be happy for one thing and criticize and lament it in the same turn.

You'll either love it or hate it. For me, I love the franchise. I own every game. But I'll conceede it's not for everyone. As much as I adore the franchise, I'll admit they aren't necessarily the most technically sound or best designed. But that weirdness is sort of an appeal to me.

I tried Romancing Saga Minstrel Song and hated it. I picked one character and went into a cave where I was attacked by really really tough lizards. I had no idea wtf to do. So I picked another character and was doing okay but went to this snow location and got lost. I was so bored and I just sold the game. I was shocked by my reaction I'm fond of sandbox stuff in RPGs but I was completely confused by what I was experiencing in Minstrel Song. Maybe now I'm more open minded.

I tried Romancing Saga Minstrel Song and hated it. I picked one character and went into a cave where I was attacked by really really tough lizards. I had no idea wtf to do. So I picked another character and was doing okay but went to this snow location and got lost. I was so bored and I just sold the game. I was shocked by my reaction I'm fond of sandbox stuff in RPGs but I was completely confused by what I was experiencing in Minstrel Song. Maybe now I'm more open minded.
Such is the blessing and curse of SaGa.

It's hard to get into, but if you get in, you GET IN.

My advice for newcomers is to try Final Fantasy Legend II (aka SaGa 2); it's a relatively easy to get Game Boy game (er, last I checked, at least) that is probably the gentlest introduction to SaGa. It's a straight-forward linear RPG with some of the base SaGa battle mechanics (consumable weapons, stat leveling through weapon/item usage instead of EXP, etc.).

duckroll

The SaGa series is an extremely open ended sort of JRPG but in the complete opposite of what people see as "sandbox" RPGs, which might have contributed to your confusion. The games give players a ton of freedom... to screw themselves up. The open endedness is not just about choice and consequence, but about being able to make wrong choices, whether you understand if they are bad choices or not. Some parts of the games are implemented better than others, but there's always a feeling of not fully understanding the mechanics and the world, and that can be very frustrating to some people. The games are not about being able to mess around and discover all sorts of fun stuff, so much as being able to mess around and be amazed at how the game doesn't remotely try to stop or guide you from not making terrible choices. You just have to learn that on your own.

I would say a better comparison to SaGa would be that they are JRPGs designed with the system design sensibility of roguelikes, but framed around structured narratives and designed quests and settings rather than randomized ones.

MilkBeard

Sitting here listening to "Encounter with the Seven Heroes"; quite possibly one of the best songs in RS2, as well as in the SaGa series as a whole :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS7GAoEcbyk

RS2 was the game that introduced the now-staple feature with the 'lightbulb' / sparking system that triggers when characters learn new abilities or dodge techniques.

I also love the game's structure of going through several generations in order to defeat the 7 Heroes, as well as the altering appearances/difficulty of these bosses depending on when and what you do in the game. For me it's a really special game and I love this one dearly.

T4u4LIz.png

Yeah, the spontaneous skill sparking system is one of my favorite elements of the SaGa series. This is going to be fun to play.

MilkBeard

Yeah, SaGa series is kind of a 'tough love' sort of experience. The games just kind of throw you out in the wild, and you have to, for the most part, figure out what the hell you're doing. The initial bit is the toughest, though, and once you figure it out, you will see whether the style is for you or not. There are a lot of guides to help though, so if you're lost, definitely look up direction. I would say to look up and see what the easiest character is to start. There's usually one character that has a more linear narrative experience (for example, Red or Asellus in SaGa Frontier). Starting with one of those characters would help as well.

I have a feeling that after the Dark Souls trend has come, more people will be receptive to SaGa, because they share a similar design mentality when it comes to exploration. I would say that SaGa can be even more unforgiving.

bonkeng

I would consider being grateful/accepting for somethings' mere existence kinda sad as well.
I can be happy for one thing and criticize and lament it in the same turn.

Atleast some of us are legitimately excited on this news.

The mere fact that it will be officially translated to english should be better than none.

SE decided to release it on a platform that has the widest coverage, which is mobile phone. Smart move IMO.

And it's not that bad playing a touch screen rpg on mobile. I've played and finished a lot of games on mobile like Baldurs Gate, Final Fantasy Dimensions, Chaos Rings, TWEWY and Kemco games with ease.

Anyway, i hope this gets released soon. Can't wait to play this game :D

Astrael

I always felt fortunate having stumbled through my old college roommate's copy of the original game on the SFC even though I couldn't understand most of the Japanese text, so seeing an official English release come out is just flat out amazing to me after all this time. Absolutely a day 1 purchase on my iPad, the updated sprite work looks fantastic!

Totally agree on Kenji Ito as a great composer, with the majority of the SaGa games alongside his contributions to much of the Mana series he really solidified himself as one of my all-time favorites. The main title theme to the Romancing SaGa trilogy is so catchy I find myself humming it all the time.

They are notorious for that. If there is an update it's likely to come many months (if not years) later... Just in time for new iOS version release. Now, major fault is Apple's for deprecating APIs left and right with new iOS releases but that's unfortunately the state of mobile gaming.

Updating APIs is not Apple's (or Android's) "fault"; it's simple progress. Adding new features. If you have an app in the App Store, you're expected to update your game for the new versions of the OS if you want to continue selling to customers. Apple may prioritize progress over compatibility, but that's their prerogative. At the pricepoint SE is selling games at, I do think the onus is on them to provide support for new versions.

If you want a "Vita" experience, don't update your phone/tablet OS! But you may not get new games that take advantage of those new APIs.

No lies detected.

The SaGa series is an extremely open ended sort of JRPG but in the complete opposite of what people see as "sandbox" RPGs, which might have contributed to your confusion. The games give players a ton of freedom... to screw themselves up. The open endedness is not just about choice and consequence, but about being able to make wrong choices, whether you understand if they are bad choices or not. Some parts of the games are implemented better than others, but there's always a feeling of not fully understanding the mechanics and the world, and that can be very frustrating to some people. The games are not about being able to mess around and discover all sorts of fun stuff, so much as being able to mess around and be amazed at how the game doesn't remotely try to stop or guide you from not making terrible choices. You just have to learn that on your own.

I would say a better comparison to SaGa would be that they are JRPGs designed with the system design sensibility of roguelikes, but framed around structured narratives and designed quests and settings rather than randomized ones.

Still sounds up my alley. I'd like to give it another shot.

Yeah, SaGa series is kind of a 'tough love' sort of experience. The games just kind of throw you out in the wild, and you have to, for the most part, figure out what the hell you're doing. The initial bit is the toughest, though, and once you figure it out, you will see whether the style is for you or not. There are a lot of guides to help though, so if you're lost, definitely look up direction. I would say to look up and see what the easiest character is to start. There's usually one character that has a more linear narrative experience (for example, Red or Asellus in SaGa Frontier). Starting with one of those characters would help as well.

I have a feeling that after the Dark Souls trend has come, more people will be receptive to SaGa, because they share a similar design mentality when it comes to exploration. I would say that SaGa can be even more unforgiving.

Such is the blessing and curse of SaGa.

It's hard to get into, but if you get in, you GET IN.

My advice for newcomers is to try Final Fantasy Legend II (aka SaGa 2); it's a relatively easy to get Game Boy game (er, last I checked, at least) that is probably the gentlest introduction to SaGa. It's a straight-forward linear RPG with some of the base SaGa battle mechanics (consumable weapons, stat leveling through weapon/item usage instead of EXP, etc.).

Gotcha!

I was going to start with Romancing Saga 2 when it drops in English.

Yasumi

Banned

I don't think you understand what entitlement means. This is a case of people confused by why Square Enix would refuse to localize a game that exists, when they already have a full localization, and an audience obviously interested in their product. It just seems totally illogical, and people are disappointed they can't play something they had reason to believe that they would've been able to. It happened with Setsuna too.

All I'm seeing from you is "I got the thing I wanted, you didn't, you should be happy." Cool, I can play it on my iPod touch if I wanted, but I won't, because it's not the type of game I play on there. Options are nice.

StereoVsn

Updating APIs is not Apple's (or Android's) "fault"; it's simple progress. Adding new features. If you have an app in the App Store, you're expected to update your game for the new versions of the OS if you want to continue selling to customers. Apple may prioritize progress over compatibility, but that's their prerogative. At the pricepoint SE is selling games at, I do think the onus is on them to provide support for new versions.

If you want a "Vita" experience, don't update your phone/tablet OS! But you may not get new games that take advantage of those new APIs.
This is being facetious. If you have a handheld or console, they are still getting updates. PS3/360 are being updated 10 years from release.

Apple and to lesser extent Google are extremely aggressive about updating APIs which basically makes purchasing more expensive games and applications a chancy proposition as you are always a year or less away from them potentially not working.

Then Apple, Devs and Gamers wonder why is App Store is filled with F2P. It makes no sense for Developers or Customers to produce more expensive games. SE doesn't need to update Bravely Default 2 years down the road to make sure it runs on New 3DS. At same time SE needs to do yearly updates to say TWEWY constantly.

It's a losing proposition to everyone involved. Anyway, it's cool to see the game being released in the West. Personally, I don't buy games for more then about $5 (give or take couple $) on the App Store anymore.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
That was at the very beginning of the thread, literally page 1, when people discovered that the game will only be localized on 2/3 of the platforms it's available on. It's not really crybabying when people are discussing new news about a game they might've wanted to play on their platform of choice, which already exists, and is now no longer a possibility.
Thread is about ios/android game. If you want to whine about it, why not do so at that 300 mobile vita games thread or something.

I don't think you understand what entitlement means. This is a case of people confused by why Square Enix would refuse to localize a game that exists, when they already have a full localization, and an audience obviously interested in their product. It just seems totally illogical, and people are disappointed they can't play something they had reason to believe that they would've been able to. It happened with Setsuna too.

All I'm seeing from you is "I got the thing I wanted, you didn't, you should be happy." Cool, I can play it on my iPod touch if I wanted, but I won't, because it's not the type of game I play on there. Options are nice.

Rofl

Square2015

To those who've played RS1~3 and SF1~2 how would you rank the series?

I'm ranking what I've played with my score:
RS3 9/10
SF1 8/10
RS1 7/10
RS:MS 6/10
SF2 6/10
US 5/10

I've heard some say RS2 is the best in the series, even better than RS3....

Wingus

The final boss theme is just amazingly decisive feeling. Really started feeling it from the recent arranged theme.

Really every SaGa series has gone above and beyond when it comes to battle themes.

Yep, I adore Kenji Ito and Masashi Hamauzu's work. RS3's normal battle and final boss themes are my favourites. SaGa Frontier had plenty of outstanding and varied tracks as well.

To those who've played RS1~3 and SF1~2 how would you rank the series?

I'm ranking what I've played with my score:
RS3 9/10
SF1 8/10
RS1 7/10
RS:MS 6/10
SF2 6/10
US 5/10

I've heard some say RS2 is the best in the series, even better than RS3....

RS3, being my favourite RPG of all time, takes top place :) With RS2 and SaGa 2 following closely after.

SaGa Frontier 2, even though it's still good, is probably my least favourite. I enjoyed story aspect exploring the history of characters from differing backgrounds - (Gustave) and Quell Hunter Will Knights. That said, I still have nightmares about that damn Battle of Mount Southtop.

Whatever you do, don't forget to research magic like I did. The final boss fight in this game is BRUTAL. This is the type of game where you will eventually need to revive and heal as instantaneously as possible.

The games give players a ton of freedom... to screw themselves up. The open endedness is not just about choice and consequence, but about being able to make wrong choices, whether you understand if they are bad choices or not.

Pretty much.

I personally find that the enemy encounters in these games almost always get to a point where they're consistently more powerful than me, particularly in this game, where everything seemed fairly capable of one-shotting a character in a game with perma-death. Compared to 3 it's probably less forgiving, but at the same time, perhaps easier to find things to do (I got stuck a number of times in 3 where nothing really seemed available to me).

But at the same time, something about the games is incredibly compelling. If you can get over the sloppy feeling of playing one of these old games on a phone (I hate the virtual dpad), it's probably one of the better games to play here and there. At least if you fuck yourself over, it won't feel like something you have to overcome before you move on to another game.

bonkeng

You have the "option" of playing or not playing it on your Ipod Touch, because of reasons. Your lose.

But for some of us, we'll gladly take it as it is better than nothing at all.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm shocked. It's amazing how they're just doing this. It's great news for RPG fans. No offense, but I'm with the crowd who wants the familiar versus something that looks familiar, but obviously isn't.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I cant remember if it was 2 or 3 that had the "intro" part where you can get wiped out by a mimic lol.

Ok yeah it was 2.

hqdefault.jpg

Needlecrash

Hooray for an English release! Boo for no Vita. Fuck man, Vita can't catch a break. That's upsetting tbh. Guess they don't give two shits about it over here. Well at least it's getting an English release. I hope they don't fuck us over for SaGa Scarlet Grace.

As per this thread, I started up a game of SaGa 2 for ds.

My team is a human female (mc), elf female (with bow), mecha, and a monster (slime transformed into jaguar).

I'm really liking it. It's...different. In the beginning there's this cave dungeon and I found it pretty easy.

That is until I was wondering "I've used Cure with the Sensei a bunch of times so far. Where's the MP?" Then I realized that magic is consumable, like an item, like in Final Fantasy VIII or Chrono Cross. That made sense.

Then I realized the same was for attacks as well.

So by the time I realized this, my mecha had only 8 more attacks left with his gun attack, and my Jaguar had only four more moves left. Sensei only had 4 more Dissolve (I think it was?) left. So I realized that you need to take caution in these games. So I ended up having my mecha not attack or take any action for entire battles to not waste his attacks until I equipped Punch on it. When my monster could change into another monster I did so at the first chance because I only had four more attacks left and he'd be using up a space otherwise, so I might as well.

It was the first dungeon and I already had a fire under my ass to use my abilities better, fight the right battles, and not play so mindlessly. I saved up the rest of my mecha and Sensei's moves on the dungeon boss. Went down in two hits.

I slept at the inn at the next town and turns out my mecha's attacks replenish but everyone else's is static. I've replaced my Elf's depleting bow numbers with another bow.

This is...interesting.

I'm not sure how stats work. Sometimes agility goes up. Sometimes HP (for the humans). I equip Punch on my mecha and it does 0 HP 5 attacks in a row, until it finally gets a 1. I equip a giant Hammer on my MC and she attacks lower with that than her default sword. I'm assuming weapons get stronger the more you use them?

Either way, this is interesting as hell and should totally be up my alley.

Is Romancing SaGa 2 like this?

All weapons are consumable except for one (maybe two) end game weapons.

For humans and mutants, your stats go up depending on what items you use. Heavy weapons raise strength, light weapons raise agility, spells raise magic and shields raise defense (seriously, if you use a lot of shields you can build up naturally high defense). Humans grow fast than mutants but mutants get natural spells.

Robot stats go up based on what you equip them with. And as you noticed, their item usage is cut in half but will replenish at inns, etc.

Martial arts abilities are odd, they are weak at first and get stronger as they deplete. If you use that punch all the way up, save the last use for a boss to deal a ultra powerful attack.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Is this worth getting if I liked the two SaGa Frontier games?

SkyOdin

My team is a human female (mc), elf female (with bow), mecha, and a monster (slime transformed into jaguar).

I'm really liking it. It's...different. In the beginning there's this cave dungeon and I found it pretty easy.

That is until I was wondering "I've used Cure with the Sensei a bunch of times so far. Where's the MP?" Then I realized that magic is consumable, like an item, like in Final Fantasy VIII or Chrono Cross. That made sense.

Then I realized the same was for attacks as well.

So by the time I realized this, my mecha had only 8 more attacks left with his gun attack, and my Jaguar had only four more moves left. Sensei only had 4 more Dissolve (I think it was?) left. So I realized that you need to take caution in these games. So I ended up having my mecha not attack or take any action for entire battles to not waste his attacks until I equipped Punch on it. When my monster could change into another monster I did so at the first chance because I only had four more attacks left and he'd be using up a space otherwise, so I might as well.

It was the first dungeon and I already had a fire under my ass to use my abilities better, fight the right battles, and not play so mindlessly. I saved up the rest of my mecha and Sensei's moves on the dungeon boss. Went down in two hits.

I slept at the inn at the next town and turns out my mecha's attacks replenish but everyone else's is static. I've replaced my Elf's depleting bow numbers with another bow.

This is...interesting.

I'm not sure how stats work. Sometimes agility goes up. Sometimes HP (for the humans). I equip Punch on my mecha and it does 0 HP 5 attacks in a row, until it finally gets a 1. I equip a giant Hammer on my MC and she attacks lower with that than her default sword. I'm assuming weapons get stronger the more you use them?

Either way, this is interesting as hell and should totally be up my alley.

Is Romancing SaGa 2 like this?

Okay, here are how a few things work. Weapons such as swords and axes are usually strength based. They use strength to determine their attack power, and will level up your strength as you use them. Weapons such as rapiers and bows are agility based, agility determines their power, and they level up agility as you use them. However, there are a few strange weapons that use Strength to determine damage, but level up your agility. I think the whip is one of these? I would need to check a guide again to be sure.

Guns and explosives are simple: they always do the same damage regardless of who uses them. Some, such as handguns, will level stats even though they don't depend on them. Others, such as bombs, will not give you stats, I believe.

Now, magic tomes use Magic, and will level up Magic as you use them. There are a few weapons, namely the PSI weapons, that work the same as magic. However, the magic spells that mutants learn work differently from weapons. Namely, they recover their uses whenever you stay at an Inn. So a mutant who can cast healing magic or use a group attack spell is extremely useful early on. You can use such mutant magic rather freely. However, mutants can periodically some of their current spells or passive traits with new spells or traits, but it is random and uncommon. Your best chance at learning new spells with mutants is after boss fights. If you really want a new one, you might want to save and reload a few times after major boss battles.

Monsters are tricky. They can be useful, since all of their attacks will refresh after an Inn stay, or when they change form. However, if you are reckless, it is really easy to get a monster that is stuck in a weak form forever. I highly recommend reading a guide such as this one to figure out how it works. Basically, monsters are broken into eleven tiers of power, and need to choose your transformations carefully to keep your tier up. It works by comparing the type of your current monster to the type of monster meat it eats, and compares the tiers of the two and takes the higher. However, there are complications, since not every type of monster has a form in every tier, and you will drop in tier if you fall into one of those holes. I usually kept a chart on hand whenever I play SaGa 1 or 2. If you use them carefully though, monsters can rocket ahead of everyone else in power and carry you through some tough parts of the game.

Mechs are comparatively simple: just give them the best gear you've got. Mechs are the best at using expensive weapons such as guns and bombs, since they can refresh their ammunition by staying at an inn. However, the uses of a weapon are halved when a mech equips it, and this is never refunded. So, if you equip a mech with a sword, de-equip it, then equip it again, it will only have 1/4 its original number of uses even though it was never used in battle and staying in an inn will only return it to that level. On the plus side, mechs have no slot limitations at all. You can equip them with as many swords, helmets, full armor suits, or whatever as much as you like, and they get stat bonuses from such gear that other characters do not.

As other people have mentioned, martial art skills will increase in power as you use them. So each hit of a Punch will do more damage than the last, and the very last hit before it breaks will be especially powerful. However, I think only humans can benefit from those bonuses, making martial arts the specialty of human characters.

I also recommend using shields, since using one is the only way to defend, and later shields have some really nice benefits that can help the whole team in a big way.

Now, I don't actually know how similar Romancing SaGa 2 is to this. The Romancing SaGa series represents a big change in the series compared to the Gameboy games. Namely, Romancing SaGa 2 introduces the glimmering of special moves, where you can randomly learn more advanced fighting techniques by using basic moves. SaGa 2 is purely built around equipment and a simple array of stats, while the Romancing SaGa games have a very different paradigm.

SaGa Frontier 1 was an attempt to unify the original trilogy's gameplay and setting with the new stuff from the Romancing SaGa games. It is the first game where all of those mechanics were used together. The SaGa 2 and 3 remakes for the DS carried on some of that, I believe.

EDIT: And I just noticed that you are playing the DS verison, rather than the Gameboy one I am more familiar with. Oh well, they shouldn't be too different, but you will be able to take advantage of the monster transformation preview feature, which didn't exist in the original Gameboy version.

fury

Not surprising it won't get a Vita release. Adventures of Mana and Chaos Rings series also got Vita releases in Japan, but not the US. I'm just glad it is being localized, period. I like having these classics on my phone.

For humans and mutants, your stats go up depending on what items you use. Heavy weapons raise strength, light weapons raise agility, spells raise magic and shields raise defense (seriously, if you use a lot of shields you can build up naturally high defense).

Whoa. This is a great mechanic! It totally makes sense that different stats would go up as you use certain weapon types. This should be way more common in RPGs! Although raising your 'defense' from using shields seems kinda nonsensical.

Martial arts abilities are odd, they are weak at first and get stronger as they deplete. If you use that punch all the way up, save the last use for a boss to deal a ultra powerful attack.

Yeah, I guess the point was to simulate making your moves more powerful the more you practice/use them? But odd that you'd lose this experience after depletion.

SkyOdin

Yeah, I guess the point was to simulate making your moves more powerful the more you practice/use them? But odd that you'd lose this experience after depletion.

Well, in practical terms, by the time you exhaust those 99 uses of the Punch skill, far superior martial art skills have become available to purchase. Flavorwise, this is the SaGa world, you can explain it as magic crystals or cybernetic implants or something.

Game-breaking bug spoiler:
It is possible to cheese the system and use an infinite number of super-Punchs if you reorder your weapon list such that the Punch with 1 use left is at the top, then use a fresh Punch from a slot below it. The game checks the number remaining in the first weapon of that type that it finds, rather than the one you actually use.

Whoa. This is a great mechanic! It totally makes sense that different stats would go up as you use certain weapon types. This should be way more common in RPGs! Although raising your 'defense' from using shields seems kinda nonsensical.
In theory, you could max out your DEF stat with shields and then forgo using armor (saving up to for extremely valuable item slots on that character).

I always wanted to do that, but it would be pretty crazy.

MilkBeard

Another thing I miss from the SaGa games is the interesting worlds. There's usually always some interesting myths and complex world building going on underneath. SaGa Frontier is pretty crazy with this, with a ton of it not even really being explained in the game itself.

I'm ready for some more crazy Kawazu worlds.

Top Bottom