• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Romancing SaGa 2 now available in English for iOS/Android

Nimby

Banned
I hope this means Scarlet Grace gets treatment similar to Cyber Sleuth. If this can make it over, no reason a new SaGa game marketed towards classic JRPG fans couldn't.

SkyOdin

So you start off with specific classes but can have the characters branch into other specialties? Uncommon for a JRPG. I can start to see why this was a hard game to QA.

No, there are no character classes per se in any SaGa game. There are some mechanics that might make certain characters better at certain things than others, but generally, any character can learn any technique in most SaGa games, given enough effort. Characters tend to be built with individual quirks rather than as members of specific classes. I mean, characters in Romancing SaGa 3 vary from "runaway little girl" to "Zorro". The Runaway little girl starts with no skills in anything, while the Zorro expy starts with a variety of fencing techniques. However, you could teach either one magic or spend some effort to teach either of them how to crush things with an axe. The effort/reward ratio of these options will vary from character to character, but it is always possible.

The real craziness sets in the gameboy games or the PS1 game SaGa Frontier where monsters, mutants/mystics/vampires, and robots are all playable and use completely different game mechanics from human characters. Robots, for example, don't gain stats from battle at all, and instead get all of their stats from their equipment. Monsters get strong by eating other monsters to transform into other types of monster. So you start with a slime and keep eating other monsters until it turns into Tiamat.

Some SaGa games have so many arbitrary and arcane mechanics that it took some serious data-mining and/or disassembling the game code years after their release to discover that certain mechanics even existed.

Parham

Banned
How well do these games sell on mobile? Square in particular seems to offer a lot more premium games on iOS and Android than most other publishers of their size.

CrimsonN0

Hmm, has there been any newer games out like the Saga games? Multiple characters to play through or the ability to learn new techs in battle.
I think I remember people talking about Legend of Legacy?, but I didn't really the demo for it.

Aeana

Hmm, has there been any newer games out like the Saga games? Multiple characters to play through or the ability to learn new techs in battle.
I think I remember people talking about Legend of Legacy?, but I didn't really the demo for it.
The Last Remnant is an obvious spiritual successor to the SaGa games. It's recentish.

I stil have fond memories of FF Legend 1 and 2 on GB. I've poked around other Saga games, but those were the only ones I ever completed (unless you count FF2). The lack of clear direction in, for example, Minstrel Song, has the same effect on me as super open WRPGs.

How much of a clear and direct narrative is there in RS2?

Schnauzer

Why so much hate for mobile? I think touch screen is perfect for these types of RPGs. Put me in the looking forward to it camp.

Fat4all

Banned
Man this place is a graveyard. So what people can get banned now for complaining about not localizing games to the Vita? If that's true I see tons of whining in other threads about countless of things. This is a video game forum. This place is madness sometimes.

Port-begging is a no-no. Sometime you have to remind people of that.

On topic: it looks super faithful to the original design, loving the design of it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What abt the game quality? I hope its fun, of cause.

I think i'll get it on the iphone 6s :D

Negator

Does anyone know if the game has controller support on iOS or Android in the Japanese version? I searched the thread a bit but I didn't really see anything definitive. I have both available, so if one has it over the other I will pick that.

Regardless I'll probably pick it up. It has been god damn forever since a SaGa game came over.

CrimsonN0

The Last Remnant is an obvious spiritual successor to the SaGa games. It's recentish.
Huh, I keep forgetting about that one.
I played, but never finished it on the 360 and bought it for $5 during a Steam sale after I sold my 360, but then kind of forgot to actually download it.
I should get on that.

Kind of off topic, but is it worth buying an Android tablet for games like this if I would use it for literally nothing else?
Yeah, if you have any interest in mobile games, a tablet is pretty awesome. I have an iPad Mini and it's a very nice size.

PS: You'll use it for everything else once you have it, haha.

Does anyone know if the game has controller support on iOS or Android in the Japanese version? I searched the thread a bit but I didn't really see anything definitive. I have both available, so if one has it over the other I will pick that.

Regardless I'll probably pick it up. It has been god damn forever since a SaGa game came over.

I don't think so.

How well does it control? I was really impressed with how natural the Final Fantasy ports felt on mobile (even if some UI design choices and visuals left a lot to be desired), not so much with Dragon Quest.

That aside, hot damn those visuals look good. This has to be the best looking 2D remaster Square's done. UI and font choices are excellent as well - glad to see they're getting out of the default sanserif typeface.

Fuck yes!
Why so many people hating on mobile? I played FFV, Chrono Trigger and most of the DQ games on my MotoG3 and never had a problem. Wish there was actually more Squeenix stuff for Android, but they love Iphone more :(

Stand alone.

Thanks! Looking forward to this.

Kind of off topic, but is it worth buying an Android tablet for games like this if I would use it for literally nothing else?
Yeah, if you have any interest in mobile games, a tablet is pretty awesome. I have an iPad Mini and it's a very nice size.

I have an iPad Mini and use it mostly for gaming. It's worth it for the games, but you'll definitely use it for more stuff once you have it.

neoemonk

This is great. I have about $15 from the Google rewards app that I need to use. I picked up Dragon Quest 1 and would have gotten 2 and 3 if my hand was forced but this will be a lot better.

tensuke

Port-begging is a no-no. Sometime you have to remind people of that.

On topic: it looks super faithful to the original design, loving the design of it.

Technically it's not a port-beg though, it's a translation-beg...but the translation is already done. SE gonna SE.

No, there are no character classes per se in any SaGa game. [...]

The real craziness sets in the gameboy games or the PS1 game SaGa Frontier where monsters, mutants/mystics/vampires, and robots are all playable and use completely different game mechanics from human characters. Robots, for example, don't gain stats from battle at all, and instead get all of their stats from their equipment. Monsters get strong by eating other monsters to transform into other types of monster. So you start with a slime and keep eating other monsters until it turns into Tiamat.

Some SaGa games have so many arbitrary and arcane mechanics that it took some serious data-mining and/or disassembling the game code years after their release to discover that certain mechanics even existed.

Thanks for clarifying on the character mechanics. The 'craziness' in those games sounds like my kind of crazy.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
https://twitter.com/Romasaga2_PR/status/718296039262973952
https://twitter.com/Romasaga2_PR/status/718296297430769666
https://twitter.com/Romasaga2_PR/status/718296511952592896

CffmrJqXEAA5Y4a.jpg

CffmrPxWEAIMLOr.jpg

Cffm3sNXIAAYFqq.jpg

Cffm3sGWcAYt5Jg.jpg

I just hope this works on my old ass ipad. Would give me a reason to charge it up / update it if so.

Since my phone cant even run a lot of game apps properly am not going to put hopes on the android version lol.

iOS gods plz.

Parakeetman

Separate related topic, did they ever release the first front mission on mobile platforms? as in iOS / Android?

Giolon

Why so much hate for mobile? I think touch screen is perfect for these types of RPGs. Put me in the looking forward to it camp.

Touch screen is great for turn-based RPGs! But look at how major publishers (S-E included) drop support for older mobile releases and stop updating them for OS updates if the games aren't making money for them anymore.

While it's awesome to see new English releases, and it's GREAT to bring them to new audiences, mobile isn't exactly the best platform to expect your games to work forever on. Generally there's no such problem with traditional consoles and handhelds.

I just found last weekend that Doom doesn't work on my iPad anymore. It hasn't been updated since 2013 for iOS 7.

All that being said, this game looks pretty nice. I'll be keeping an eye out for sales on it.

SkyOdin

Separate related topic, did they ever release the first front mission on mobile platforms? as in iOS / Android?

A quick search of the iOS app store turned up negative for any Front Mission games. I wouldn't know about Android. That Nintendo DS port of Front Mission First is still the only localized version of the game, I think.

Parakeetman

A quick search of the iOS app store turned up negative for any Front Mission games. I wouldn't know about Android. That Nintendo DS port of Front Mission First is still the only localized version of the game, I think.

damn thanks for taking the time to check for me! yeah ill have to look for my ds copy might be packed away pretty deep though so was hoping for a mobile ver D:

GamerJM

Banned

I kind of doubt that honestly. Everyone said that to me about Smartphones but I hardly use mine. I'm a big laptop guy.

Dremark

Banned
I kind of doubt that honestly. Everyone said that to me about Smartphones but I hardly use mine. I'm a big laptop guy.

Yeah I bought a tablet 6 months ago. It's really nice but I barely use it.

My smartphone gets used constantly, I'm even typing this post on it.

Is this a good intro to Saga? Always wanted to get into it. I tried Romancing once and I couldn't stand it, but this looks more my speed. What Saga games do you suggest after this? Frontier? I'm ashamed I've never really delved into Saga. I have a deep history and knowledge of jrpgs and these games are just foreign to me.

SaGa is a very controversial series, but it is also one of my favorites! We didn’t get any of the Super Famicom games back in the day because of… well I don’t really know why. It’s a darn shame because the trilogy is some of Square’s best work

Square started rectifying this error 10 years ago, when they released the Romancing SaGa 1 remake on PS2 in English. Now…. that remake was HEAVILY different from the original SFC release, but it is an amazing game in it’s own right.

Now we’re finally getting Romancing SaGa 2. Thank god. This game is a wonderful.

What makes it awesome?

The music.

Check this stuff out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS7GAoEcbyk

https://youtu.be/WhCK6od2KHs

This stuff is DOPE, yo. Kenji Ito is an amazing composer and it’s a shame his name isn’t passed around more when people talk about great game composers. The final boss theme is one of the best in the industry, but I don’t want to spoil it.

The Battle System
The SaGa franchise represents Square at their most experimental. Often times these games will have some of the weirdest turn based battle systems you’ll find out of a major publisher. And I adore that.

RS2 plays kind of like SNES Final Fantasies in that battles are side facing, and you pick your attacks from a menu. But from there, it gets weird. You have typical stand bys like HP and TP (this game’s MP), but HP fully recovers after every battle. If your HP drops to 0, that character begins losing LP. LP does not recover after battle and if the character doesn’t have any LP, they cannot be revived without staying at the inn. Pretty cool, right?

BUT that’s not all. RS invented the glimmer system. This system is RAD. You essentially learn abilities in the middle of battle by using specific weapons. Wanna learn bow techniques? Use bow attacks and then suddenly your character will “spark” a new technique! It’s pretty cool and feels great when you learn a new ability in a heated moment in the middle of a boss fight

The Story!
SaGa games are traditionally fairly non-linear and RS2 is no exception. Where as other games in the franchise have you select 1 of 8 characters and follow their personal journey though, here you follow a multi-generational struggle of a royal family. Characters pass down learned abilities to their heirs!

But the story itself is great too. Probably one of the most tragic. It’s about 7 legendary heroes who were dragged to the underworld while fighting a demon. The underworld twisted their natures. After centuries, they have broken out of the underworld and are bent on destroying the world.

This sounds amazing.

bonkeng

Wow just noticed so many got banned.

People should at least just be happy this is getting released in the west. So when the time comes that you finally adapt to mobile gaming, it will be waiting for you.

I'd rather SE release as much of their hidden gems on ios/android than not having any of them at all.

Hopefully some will follow, like Treasure of Rudras, Bahamut Lagoon, Live a Live, Treasure Hunter G etc.

kromeo

Amazed I didn't get banned looking at all the other comments..

I'm guessing this is the same mechanically all romancing saga 3? I remember playing that with translation patch but I didn't really understand the skills, you seem to just learn them randomly in battle sometimes.. Might have to break that out again

Amalthea

Banned
I hope they do the same thing with games like Live-A-Live and Seiken Densetsu 3.

But Romancing Saga 2 is a good start.

Ydelnae

Do we know what's the deal with Scarlet Grace? It was announced in 2014 and the only thing we've seen since then is artworks and an of-screen screenshot. I'm kind of expecting it to have suffered some kind of reverse Agito transformation and be re-revealed as a mobile game.

If the game is truly coming out this year, they need to start talking about it soon, because if they wait until TGS then I fear it's going to be delayed again.

StereoVsn

Wow just noticed so many got banned.

People should at least just be happy this is getting released in the west. So when the time comes that you finally adapt to mobile gaming, it will be waiting for you.

I'd rather SE release as much of their hidden gems on ios/android than not having any of them at all.

Hopefully some will follow, like Treasure of Rudras, Bahamut Lagoon, Live a Live, Treasure Hunter G etc.
The problem with SE and mobile gaming is that there is a good chance that any of their mobile games (except for F2P) doesn't survive a new iOS release.

They are notorious for that. If there is an update it's likely to come many months (if not years) later... Just in time for new iOS version release. Now, major fault is Apple's for deprecating APIs left and right with new iOS releases but that's unfortunately the state of mobile gaming. This is why banning over Vita "localization" (port has been done and heck so has translation) is puzzling. Mobile gaming is unfortunately a bit ephemeral in nature and hence a lot of people are not excited for paying SE $15-20 for a game that may not work in a year (or as soon as next fall actually).

Top Bottom