• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roomate had money stolen (apparently) we have 3 people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosse

Neo Member
Just read the whole thread. At the start I was wondering why the roommate would blame the OP first and not really wanting to blame the other guy. But then I read the rest, and if I were her I would also be more suspicious of the guy that looks in other peoples wallets without them knowing.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Did the OP log off?

trGFtJ2.gif

Mudcrab

> Three people live together: A woman and two men, one Chinese.
> Woman is out $400 that was supposedly placed in a laptop bag.
> Woman immediately blames OP for stealing it and not Chinese man; ignores possibility of misplacing it.
> OP feels unfairly blamed because Chinese man is newer there.
> OP admits he rifles through people's shit behind their backs.
> OP went into Chinese Man's wallet and found $300 while Chinese man was showering, and while admitting he gets money from home, suspects he is the thief anyway, even though OP admits Chinese man is antisocial and stays in his room most of the time.
> OP admits he went through Chinese man's wallet to the Chinese man's face, and to make it better says Chinese man can go through his stuff in return.
> OP then apparently makes a video of him showing the doors and locks and once again going into the Chinese man's room.
> OP gets mad when GAF calls him creepy and disrespectful.
> OP has still not admitted that it's reasonable the woman would suspect him of being a thief.

Do I have that correct?

Yup, we just don't know exactly whose room it was OP videoed himself rifling through.

Doc_Drop

Rifling through a roommate's personal belongings and also taking g a video of their room and then posting it on the internet.

What is wrong with you OP?

You said yourself he's a bit antisocial and stays in his room, and even locks some stuff up, and you then proceed to go through his shit...how is it you lack this much self awareness?

neojubei

> Woman immediately blames OP for stealing it and not Chinese man; ignores possibility of misplacing it.
> OP went into Chinese Man's wallet and found $300 while Chinese man was showering, and while admitting he gets money from home, suspects he is the thief anyway, even though OP admits Chinese man is antisocial and stays in his room most of the time.
> OP admits he went through Chinese man's wallet to the Chinese man's face, and to make it better says Chinese man can go through his stuff in return.
> OP then apparently makes a video of him showing the doors and locks and once again going into the Chinese man's room.
> OP has still not admitted that it's reasonable the woman would suspect him of being a thief.

Do I have that correct?

1 girl and 2 men one of them is Chinese, so what race is the girl and the guy? Why is it important the other guy is Chinese?

Nepenthe

1 girl and 2 men one of them is Chinese, so what race is the girl and the guy? Why is it important the other guy is Chinese?

OP provided unnecessary info on Chinese guy's ethnicity without providing info on his and the girl's ethnicity, as far as I've read. I used that to merely differentiate him in the recap. If it bothers you, I can edit it out.

Daemul

Just read the whole thread. At the start I was wondering why the roommate would blame the OP first and not really wanting to blame the other guy. But then I read the rest, and if I were her I would also be more suspicious of the guy that looks in other peoples wallets without them knowing.

Yep, it's clear as day why the woman accused the OP over the other guy, OP is clearly a nightmare roommate with a history of not respecting other people's privacy.

Who the fuck do you think you are going through his private stuff while he's in the shower?

Guess what bruh, there's a reason she accused you.

Pathetic.

Zakalwe

Banned
OP provided unnecessary info on Chinese guy's ethnicity without providing info on his and the girl's ethnicity, as far as I've read. I used that to merely differentiate him in the recap. If it bothers you, I can edit it out.

I think they were being rhetorical.

Like, they're amazed at all of this as the rest of us.

Seems pretty obvious why the OP would specifically mention the race of one person...

Let's not be naïve about this.

I mean, if we're calling spades spades already....

neojubei

The OP was very specific on how he is Chinese and a NEET. And very messy.

Seems like it was added unnecessarily to make us look at the other male roommate as "other" than the girl and other guy. If the guy was a white guy instead of Chinese would the OP go out of his way to call him the white roommate who is messy? Everything I've read seems like he might be trying to set up the other male roommate or something. What if the other rommate keeps 500 in cash on him and 300 is the left over. So anytime money goes missing the other roommate has to be blamed because he is Chinese and messy?

I think they were being rhetorical.

Like, they're amazed at all of this as the rest of us.

I mean, if we're calling spades spades already....

OP hasn't done anything to be afforded the benefit of the doubt here.

I think it's fine to call their ass out for racist shit.

Wvrs

I had this last year. Turns out she didn't lose any money and was just trying to get funds for her ketamine addiction. She sent to rehab shortly after.

Not saying that's remotely the case, but fuck anyone who isn't you. You know you didn't do it, that's all you need.

Edit: just caught up on the thread, guess I assumed too much from the OP.

Do I have that correct?

Wtf is going on. Bad enough that OP takes a fucking video but why would you tell the dude you went through his shit and incriminate yourself?

Zakalwe

Banned
OP hasn't done anything to be afforded the benefit of the doubt here.

I think it's fine to call their ass out for racist shit.

I wasn't referring to OP, silly. OP lost that chance with me when his ego shat the bed a few pages back.

Like, I agree with you. A spade is a fucking spade at this point.

Cipherr

I would be less insulted by her assuming its you, and lets say... grateful that you didn't have to see a dentist after telling your roommate that you WENT THROUGH HIS WALLET!

Wow... Just... take that one on the chin. Yeah suspecting you wasn't out of line at all.

Nepenthe

Seems like it was added unnecessarily to make us look at the other male roommate as "other" than the girl and other guy. If the guy was a white guy instead of Chinese would the OP go out of his way to call him the white roommate who is messy? Everything I've read seems like he might be trying to set up the other male roommate or something. What if the other rommate keeps 500 in cash on him and 300 is the left over. So anytime money goes missing the other roommate has to be blamed because he is Chinese and messy?

This is my thought as well. OP and woman are just OP and woman, likely white but potentially not- blank slates with which the reader can more easily impart empathy towards. At most, we know they've known each other for years (which is an immediate red flag. I don't accuse my years' long friends of stealing.)

But here's what we know about the other guy!!!

He's antisocial, soft-spoken, plays video games all day in his messy room, and keeps the door closed. Don't forget that he's a Chinese man with the "weird smile" who only showers once a week and had $300 in his wallet when OP checked, which could totally be money from his parents back home but is DEFINITELY part of the woman's original $400.

Yeah. No narrative here.

Do I have that correct?

I see things have continued to spiral downward since I last checked this thread. Filmed his room without his permission and uploaded it for a bunch of strangers to see? OP what are you doing??????

This is my thought as well. OP and woman are just OP and woman, likely white but potentially not- blank slates with which the reader can more easily impart empathy towards. At most, we know they've known each other for years (which is an immediate red flag. I don't accuse my years' long friends of stealing.)

But here's what we know about the other guy!!!

He's antisocial, soft-spoken, plays video games all day in his messy room, and keeps the door closed. Don't forget that he's a Chinese man with the "weird smile" who only showers once a week and had $300 in his wallet when OP checked, which could totally be money from his parents back home but is DEFINITELY part of the woman's original $400.

Yeah. No narrative here.

It's kinda strange since OP has lived in China for the last 6 years before he's now gone to Canada:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1371135

Oh, and is the woman the same friend he got stopped in customs with?

Holy fucking shit at the victim mentality of OP, comparing himself to shinobi, lol. He was never as creepy as you bro.

Damn, I'm Asian and I have close to $300 in my wallet, it must have been me.

KoopaTheCasual

Wtf is going on. Bad enough that OP takes a fucking video but why would you tell the dude you went through his shit and incriminate yourself?
Yea, this is tied with the video for me. Actually had to double take to see that you'd do something this stupid, OP.

It literally does nothing except make you look super creepy and make your roommate more cautious around you if he actually is the theif. You gave him the heads up and blew away any leverage you had in the situation for.....?

Doc_Drop

Something tells me we won't be seeing OP again, and Mandrake air is refueling ready for take off - though we may need just one more twist before last calls for boarding

For those of you just joining us...
cURLrmC.jpg

This conniving criminal caper all began when our OP Jack the Nipper was accused by his female roommate of sneaking into her laptop bag and taking the $400 in cash that she had stored away there. Jack assured her that he was innocent, but she was quite upset with him regardless. In order to make matters right, Jack went about doing matters wrong in order to prove his innocence and perhaps find the missing money.

Jack's other roommate, a 21 year-old Chinese immigrant, likes to mostly keep to himself. He typically doesn't associate with the other occupants, and instead heads straight for his room where he can be alone. And so, Jack was suspicious. Waiting for his roommate to take a shower, he darted into his room and started rummaging through the young man's (or boy's, as Jack repeatedly, uncomfortably refers to him) personal effects. Going into his wallet--Yes, the OP totally said he looked through this guy's wallet without shame--He found over $300 in cash. Was it coincidence? Jack better fucking hope not, because he really needs all the help he can get to not seem like a complete ass.

Surprisingly... Or rather, that other thing... UNsurprisngly! That's it. Unsurprisingly, GAF took issue with both Jack's violation of his roommate's trust and privacy by going through his property, and also the whole "boy" thing was weird too. But our OP eagerly defended himself through an old favorite of the NeoGAF Thread Backfire Club, the "I'm actually far more enlightened than the rest of you" tactic. You see, we lowly GAFfers weren't able to see it, but Jack has risen above the petty desire and respect for property that the unevolved masses have.

"things" the thread, my things, things things

people are crazy about shit that has no meaning honestly

Ok, and to fuck off means what exactly. some of you and material things are borderline insane. As if it really has meaning, I guess you would go fight and hurt someone over it as well.

I will go through your things too if I have the chance, what will you do?

Because the things you own end up owning you.

9Wnpx35.png

But the question is, how hard are you willing to commit? To break away from society expects of you? To become devoted to Project Mayhem... Would you film your roommate's stuff and put it online without permission?

im not digging anything, I am stating a fact. A lot of you assume stupid things and all i did was try to help someone, that's it. Just cause I don't care about people looking at my stuff or the idea of seeing someone's stuff doesn't mean I want or care to go do it. I don't really care to see his or others things

https://vimeo.com/225315673

anyways, as some were saying about a guy that sits in his room all day, it's pretty easy to know when someone has left because of the way the security system works on the front door. It isn't hard to know when someone is leaving or gone anyways, it isn't hard to figure out or plan to do something when someone has left.

I am still not saying he took it either, as i have already stated in the OP (I don't know where the money is, simple as that) you guys can be jerks, be rude and act like you are whatever you are as long as you want.

Would you accuse him to his face?

plot twist

because of this thread i just knocked on his door. told him she has money missing and asked him if I mind if I see his wallet.

I never put money in my wallet

I never put money in my wallet.

Privacy strikes again at gaf .

Would you throw out everything to show that you're not a slave to your things? Not another Abercrombie & Bullshit fall-in-line cog in the machine.

TPnLSx8.png

Umm, er.... Anyway... Jack was being way too invasive for anyone to be comfortable, and he refused to see things from any other perspective. And then those daring GAF detectives started to search into his past and, well... It was just best for everyone if the thread was locked down.

So.... In conclusion...

I'm Lionel Mandrake.
Jgbiqtq.gif

Good night.

I9OZEAA.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom