• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Routers for console gaming?

zarkand

Awhile ago I got a new PS2, had thread about it, somewhere. This new PS2 includes a network adapter, which I never got for my other PS2. I've been thinking about whether or not to take my PS2 online more than likely as a side project, the only online games I have right now would be Ratchet and Clank UYA, and Brothers in Arms. Socom 3 and MGS3 Substance do appeal to me, even though I haven't played a Socom game before. Of course a router would also be used for the PS3 or Xbox 360 if I ever get one of them.

I don't really need anything fancy, I did a little research (well, very little) and I thought the Linksys BEFSR41 router would be best for my needs. I don't have a PSP, nor plan on getting one, and everything is the same room in relative close position, so I don't need wireless. The Linksys BEFSR41 above seems to be the best, with the discount that amazon has right now. I really don't want to rush into anything, so I thought I'd come here to ask around.

koam

zarkand said:
Awhile ago I got a new PS2, had thread about it, somewhere. This new PS2 includes a network adapter, which I never got for my other PS2. I've been thinking about whether or not to take my PS2 online more than likely as a side project, the only online games I have right now would be Ratchet and Clank UYA, and Brothers in Arms. Socom 3 and MGS3 Substance do appeal to me, even though I haven't played a Socom game before. Of course a router would also be used for the PS3 or Xbox 360 if I ever get one of them.

I don't really need anything fancy, I did a little research (well, very little) and I thought the Linksys BEFSR41 router would be best for my needs. I don't have a PSP, nor plan on getting one, and everything is the same room in relative close position, so I don't need wireless. The Linksys BEFSR41 above seems to be the best, with the discount that amazon has right now. I really don't want to rush into anything, so I thought I'd come here to ask around.

That router is expensive AND not wireless. If you get a router, get a wireless one. There's no point in getting a wired one since the ps3 and rev will be wireless (your router will be useless if it's not wireless). Get a linksys one that supports 802.11G. There's 4 ports in the back for wired connection on most wireless routers (for your PStwo).

hgplayer1

koam said:
That router is expensive AND not wireless. If you get a router, get a wireless one. There's no point in getting a wired one since the ps3 and rev will be wireless (your router will be useless if it's not wireless). Get a linksys one that supports 802.11G. There's 4 ports in the back for wired connection on most wireless routers (for your PStwo).

I kinda doubt the PS3 and Rev will be wireless and not have an ethernet port for a wired connection. or am I just not paying attention in class?

I agree with you though that if youre going to get a router at this point you may as well get one thats wireless to give you more options. they arent much more expensive but if youre for sure youll never use wireless save the money.

Sapiens

hgplayer1 said:
I kinda doubt the PS3 and Rev will be wireless and not have an ethernet port for a wired connection. or am I just not paying attention in class?

I agree with you though that if youre going to get a router at this point you may as well get one thats wireless to give you more options. they arent much more expensive but if youre for sure youll never use wireless save the money.

I dont know about the PS3, but the Revolution will not come with a ethernet jack on the back. It will be exclusively in the domain of wirelessness.

Basically, I've found two good setups:

D-Link: DI-604
Looks ugly, but cheap and get's the job done. Used it for awhile with two PCs and a PS2

D-Link: DGL-4300 Gamerlounge
This thing rocks. A/B/G, enough ports, rock solid interface, hell, even the blue light treatment works. I dropped the DI-604 for this during a system upgrade and never looked back.

zarkand

Well so far I got my mind on the:

D-Link DI-604 Cable/DSL Router; little bit cheaper and good ratings but wired.

Linksys Compact Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54GC, wireless, but doesn't seem to have as good ratings

Top Bottom