• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roy (our boy) & Ryu confirmed for Smash Bros

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/RandomTBush/status/609657463151984640

D4zyLPQ.png

I9bY2i4.png

That stage is fire.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Oh God, someone mentioned earlier how Roy coming back in AZ's strip could be by another Roy substituting him.

Well...the author already played such a trick in the past, oh God

comic65.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
That reminds me. Sakurai should have skipped Roy and devoted his development resources to creating a proper sword-wielding Twilight Princess based Ganondorf. The fact that he's still a Captain Falcon clone is utter nonsense. The character deserves better.

He did explain it before though, that there are people who are fond of clonedorf that he made the ultimate parity that is changing some properties of the A moves like what he did to Falco.

The best is just make Ganon. The game recognizes Ganon and Ganondorf are different.

ugly

You don't understand
They ruined my hype
AND THEY SKIPPED MY FAVORITE HIDEOUS GIANT LIZARDTHING AGAIN

The hype is a valuable and we can only get it from the holy game men
GET YOUR OWN DAMN HYPE, THIS IS MINE
But sir, I have no hype and it is lonely, so lonely
YOU THINK I CARE BEAT IT KID
Sir, don't you know you were once a boy just like me and i am lonely and so cold
AW, DAMN IT YOU SCAMP GET IN HERE
I love you sir
YOURE NOT SO BAD YOURSELF KID

That reminds me. Sakurai should have skipped Roy and devoted his development resources to creating a proper sword wielding Twilight Princess based Ganondorf. The fact that he's still a Captain Falcon clone is utter nonsense. The character deserves better.

I would like to see them go in that direction with him but Ganondorf plays so differently than Falcon now it's no longer accurate to call him a clone. Even in melee there were a lot of things that differentiated them aside from Ganon just being a slower Falcon. But now?

They're almost entirely separate characters the same way Ike plays somewhat similarly to Marth but is still unique.

That reminds me. Sakurai should have skipped Roy and devoted his development resources to creating a proper sword wielding Twilight Princess based Ganondorf. The fact that he's still a Captain Falcon clone is utter nonsense. The character deserves better.
I don't think you understand how game design works lol. Also, Ganondorf is never getting changed, he's perfect the way he is!

The derp derp face of Ryu and the girl inkling just don't sit right with me. I need a moment.
I think it doesn't bother me that much because it still looks way better than his face did at any point in SF4.

Razmos

This post reeks of a /v/ troll post of "removed characters to be sold later" though. No not the second paragraph, that's a legitimate claim, but the idea of any of the DLC being part of the main game isn't. Time constraints and such.
I don't think they removed him from the main game, you are reading my post wrong (and saying i'm trolling, really?)
Just saying that Lucas is pretty much unchanged from Brawl and is practically a semi-clone of Ness already. There is no real reason as to why they couldn't have included him along with Ness, it would have been very little effort, especially since they seem to have added Dark Pit and others at the last minute too (I have no problem with clone characters.. well, except Roy)

If they had no plans to add him and added him as DLC because of fan backlash, sure I get that, but I see no reason why he wasn't included anyway.

Monocle

Who says it won't be? For all we know a Splatoon charactwr is on the way, but more likely they're saving that for Smash 5.

And regardless, Ryu and Street Fighter are infinitely more important to Nintendo's history and the history of video games than Splatoon or stupid the Wonderful 101 haha. Again, what are you trying to say? You're just listing characters you'd like to see, they have nothing to do with Ryu.
Had to tune out there, sorry. Don't hate on one of the best original games of the last two generations duder. TW101 is a masterpiece. Flawed but brilliant.

SSReborn

Ryu looks dope in this. I actually didn't expect him to look that good because he looked kinda generic in mvc3 design wise (in comparison to everyone else) but they did great.

Thud

Makes me wonder if Capcom and Nintendo sat down and discussed a possible SF5. Obviously it didn't work out, but then someone comes and ask: Why not put Ryu in Smash?

Kouichi

It definitely seems to be nostalgia. there is no reason to have Roy back other than nostalgia.

I'd like to hear some reasons for people wanting Roy in the game other than "He was in the game before and I want him back"

Fan demand is a legitimate reason though. Combine that with the fact that he's an easy character to bring back and I don't see why they wouldn't bring back Roy. Make a large number of fans happy with a little amount of work. Fighting game characters take a lot of time and money after all.

Had to tune out there, sorry. Don't hate on one of the best original games of the last two generations duder. That game is a masterpiece. Flawed but brilliant.
Okay, but it's also a game that barely anyone played on a system that barely anyone bought. As opposed to Street Fighter II which was so popular that it basically started a genre

ffdgh

See, that I just don't understand. I mean yeah he looked cool, and that chant was cool, but he was terrible to play as in Melee. And while I haven't played his Fire Emblem game, I constantly hear that it wasn't good. So why is there such demand? And for what would essentially be the third Marth clone? And in a series that gets constant derision for having clones? Is it really just overpowering nostalgia?

I just don't get it. It makes no sense to me.

Once a snash bro, always a smash bro.
He's the original marth clone
plus he probably got a moveset makeover.
:p
I always perfered his up close gameplay compared to marth's reliance on tippers despite him being worse.
Flare blade
......fire effect adds flash lol.

Razmos

Fan demand is a legitimate reason though. Combine that with the fact that he's an easy character to bring back and I don't see why they wouldn't bring back Roy. Make a large number of fans happy with a little amount of work. Fighting game characters take a lot of time and money after all.
I totally get that. As someone with no nostalgic attachment to the character though, it does feel a tad lazy and uncreative, especially since I was really excited at the prospect of DLC fighters and have been disappointed so far.

Wow, Roy's alts are fantastic. That white+purple one is probably going to be my go-to, but the green, blue, and gold ones are great too.
The Roy ones refences to FE6 cast members I think they are as follows:
Red: Alan/Lilina
Green: Lance
Purple/Pinkish: Marcus
Light Blue: Thany (or one of the other Pegusus girls)
Dark purple: Sofia/Idoun
Light purple pink: Clarine/Cecilia
Gold: Guinevere

If only Roy had hair colour changes it would make some of those easier/more definitative.

Golnei

Oh God, someone mentioned earlier how Roy coming back in AZ's strip could be by another Roy substituting him.

Well...the author already played such a trick in the past, oh God

They could probably do something similar, especially since this Roy is based partly on the Awakening design - which wasn't the character himself, but an Einherjar card. Roy being replaced by an inanimate object would fit perfectly with what's happened to him so far.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't think they removed him from the main game, you are reading my post wrong (and saying i'm trolling, really?)
Just saying that Lucas is pretty much unchanged from Brawl and is practically a semi-clone of Ness already. There is no real reason as to why they couldn't have included him along with Ness, it would have been very little effort, especially since they seem to have added Dark Pit and others at the last minute too (I have no problem with clone characters.. well, except Roy)

If they had no plans to add him and added him as DLC because of fan backlash, sure I get that, but I see no reason why he wasn't included anyway.

nah not trolling, just comparing the post to something that is used for trolling

The thing is though, Dark Pit is really just an alt costume turned playable. Same with Lucina and Dr. Mario. Their skeleton and animation are even derived from the original. People who analyzed character models agreed that Sakurai and his team really did build the characters from the scratch up, regardless even if they're returning characters, and Lucas, like Wolf, don't share the same animations with their "originals". They had to be recreated.

If they had more time in their hands we'd probably see Lucas and Wolf along the game but they weren't high priority. Hell, I'm not even expecting my main Wolf to come back even!

Green boobies.

woopWOOP

On the plus-side, if all three characters are released in one go it'll mean I won't fight against the same character for the next two weeks. More variation!

But this also means there will be less Ryu's online for me to copy with Kirby and spam adorable Hadoukens.

Crayolan

nah not trolling, just comparing the post to something that is used for trolling

The thing is though, Dark Pit is really just an alt costume turned playable. Same with Lucina and Dr. Mario. Their skeleton and animation are even derived from the original. People who analyzed character models agreed that Sakurai and his team really did build the characters from the scratch up, regardless even if they're returning characters, and Lucas, like Wolf, don't share the same animations with their "originals". They had to be recreated.

If they had more time in their hands we'd probably see Lucas and Wolf along the game but they weren't high priority. Hell, I'm not even expecting my main Wolf to come back even!

There'll probably be one more round of DLC with Wolf+A ballot character. I wouldn't lose hope yet.

Monocle

Okay, but it's also a game that barely anyone played on a system that barely anyone bought. As opposed to Street Fighter II which was so popular that it basically started a genre
I don't think popularity is necessarily a good reason to include a character in Smash 4 given the many alternatives. Ryu is a safe and easy choice, guaranteed to be a hit with a lot of gamers. I wish Sakurai would be a little more daring and inventive. Considering all of Smash 4's clones, and characters from big Nintendo franchises, and gaming icons like Pac-Man, its roster would benefit from more offbeat and fresh characters like Wonder Red. If he played well, people would use him. It doesn't matter that he's not a legendary character.

Kouichi

I totally get that. As someone with no nostalgic attachment to the character though, it does feel a tad lazy and uncreative, especially since I was really excited at the prospect of DLC fighters and have been disappointed so far.

I understand how you could be disappointed, but you don't need nostalgic attachment to understand the reasoning behind returning characters coming back as DLC. It makes sense whether you're a fan of the characters or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom