• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roy (our boy) & Ryu confirmed for Smash Bros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you are. Sakurai could just as easily picked a different character, if the only criteria are that it has to be iconic or connected to Nintendo in some way.
But everyone does associate SF2 with the SNES. Ryu is iconic, his most iconic game is one of the most iconic Nintendo games, and his series is one of the most influential in video games. So what are you talking about? Like he could have picked another character, but why would he?

Anyway, love that they didn't go with Roy's stupid Awakening design. Love Ryu's target combos and his stage, I remember making Ryu movesets when Smash 4 was first announced like 8 years ago now, this is a dream come true!

Rhythm Heaven music is interesting. Chorus Kids on the way?

lewisgone

Sakurai give us back what you took from us

pichumeleeclearuurcr.png

I really hope Pichu comes back now.

Never said I wanted it for free, but I was quite excited about the prospect of DLC fighters in Smash, only to find Mewtwo with no customs, the return of Lucas who could have easily been in the main game, and a completely boring pointless returning character.

Sorry but i'm allowed to have my opinion that the DLC has sucked so far (with the exception of Ryu who looks interesting)

I kind of agree. We have gotten what will be 3 Veteran characters, regardless of the amount of time and effort it takes, we should be getting more Newcomers. All 3 of these character have only gotten minor tweaks it seems, judging from Mewtwo. Its taken over half a year to get 1 Newcomer? Thats ridiculous.

Ryce

Yes you are. Sakurai could just as easily have picked a different character, if the only criteria were that it has to be iconic or connected to Nintendo in some way.
What if Sakurai wanted to include a guest character as DLC but didn't want to deal with a new company? Ryu is much more recognizable than anyone else from Capcom, Sega, or Namco. Plus, as I said, Street Fighter II is the best-selling third-party game on any Nintendo platform. Ryu is iconic and fitting.

I kind of agree. We have gotten what will be 3 Veteran characters, regardless of the amount of time and effort it takes, we should be getting more Newcomers. All 3 of these character have only gotten minor tweaks it seems, judging from Mewtwo. Its taken over half a year to get 1 Newcomer? Thats ridiculous.

Why when people want these characters to return?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

No, that is what smash 5 is for, not to put newcomers they could easily save for the next game only to be spoiled as DLC for this one.

There was actual demand for Roy though. That's the main kicker. It's the same reason Lucas came back too.

See, that I just don't understand. I mean yeah he looked cool, and that chant was cool, but he was terrible to play as in Melee. And while I haven't played his Fire Emblem game, I constantly hear that it wasn't good. So why is there such demand? And for what would essentially be the third Marth clone? And in a series that gets constant derision for having clones? Is it really just overpowering nostalgia?

I just don't get it. It makes no sense to me.

Monocle

But everyone does associate SF2 with the SNES. Ryu is iconic, his most iconic game is one of the most iconic Nintendo games, and his series is one of the most influential in video games. So what are you talking about? Like he could have picked another character, but why would he?

Anyway, love that they didn't go with Roy's stupid Awakening design. Love Ryu's target combos and his stage, I remember making Ryu movesets when Smash 4 was first announced like 8 years ago now, this is a dream come true!

Rhythm Heaven music is interesting. Chorus Kids on the way?
If the likes of Rosalina can make it in (who I'm fine with), why shouldn't Sakurai draw from recent titles on Nintendo platforms? I'd love to have a Splatoon character, for example.

BTW, The Wonderful 101 was notable enough to be acknowledged with a set of trophies, so...

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
See, that I just don't understand. I mean yeah he looked cool, and that chant was cool, but he was terrible to play as in Melee. And while I haven't played his Fire Emblem game, I constantly hear that it wasn't good. So why is there such demand? And for what would essentially be the third Marth clone? And in a series that gets constant derision for having clones? Is it really just overpowering nostalgia?

Because people like roy, and he was only terrible if you were a competitive player otherwise he was my main and I preferred him to Marth, its that fucking simple.

JazzmanZ

because most of the negatives about roy and his game were lies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Never said I wanted it for free, but I was quite excited about the prospect of DLC fighters in Smash, only to find Mewtwo with no customs, the return of Lucas who could have easily been in the main game, and a completely boring pointless returning character.

Sorry but i'm allowed to have my opinion that the DLC has sucked so far (with the exception of Ryu who looks interesting)

This post reeks of a /v/ troll post of "removed characters to be sold later" though. No not the second paragraph, that's a legitimate claim, but the idea of any of the DLC being part of the main game isn't. Time constraints and such.

Tarry

His game was quite popular in Japan and they like Roy quite a bit over there.

Razmos

It definitely seems to be nostalgia. there is no reason to have Roy back other than nostalgia.

I'd like to hear some reasons for people wanting Roy in the game other than "He was in the game before and I want him back"

ffdgh

Yup, if you check the alts for pichu in melee and check the alts in brawl(have to refresh myself on smash 4) they have the same alts.

The swimmer goggles. Plus pichu(and by extension brawl and 4 Pika) can wall jump in melee while melee pika couldn't.

SoulUnison

Banned
The thing I don't like is the 3DS is gonna get a boat load of new music tracks in this new update, yet only 2 can be used for the actual stage, making the others useless unless you visit the music player.

I wonder what they're gonna charge for all this, they surely cannot charge money for Roy since he's just a clone..

If there's one thing I HATE about the 3DS version, it's how there's no "My Music" and how half of the great soundtrack is pointlessly locked to Smash Run.
There's literally no reason for it. It's a completely arbitrary decision that does *nothing* but frustrate.

If the likes of Rosalina can make it in (who I'm fine with), why shouldn't Sakurai draw from recent titles on Nintendo platforms? I'd love to have a Splatoon character, for example.

BTW, The Wonderful 101 was notable enough to be acknowledged with a set of trophies, so...
Who says it won't be? For all we know a Splatoon charactwr is on the way, but more likely they're saving that for Smash 5.

And regardless, Ryu and Street Fighter are infinitely more important to Nintendo's history and the history of video games than Splatoon or stupid the Wonderful 101 haha. Again, what are you trying to say? You're just listing characters you'd like to see, they have nothing to do with Ryu.

because most of the negatives about roy and his game were lies.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell, FE6 did have a lot of issues imo. But then again it was the first modern FE so it's fair to let some of those things slide since they were still finding their groove and learning

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Monocle

The "character design" in Smash 4 is so great globally, I just find Ganondorf to be a little bit messed up.
That reminds me. Sakurai should have skipped Roy and devoted his development resources to creating a proper sword wielding Twilight Princess based Ganondorf. The fact that he's still a Captain Falcon clone is utter nonsense. The character deserves better.

woopWOOP

Roy just turned Falco into a roast chicken. Roy da best
Those furry outfits like Totake and this kinda freak me out. It's because the face is still there so its looks like the Mii Fighter killed and skinned the damn characters. "Now I'll be a famous Smasher too!!"

Also I'll buy the EXE suit despite no online Mii's. I'm a chump like that

fernoca

GameCube got Capcom vs SNK 2 also! :p

But ..wow, great news. Just woke up for work...and Ryu render?! Stage?! Virtua Fighter Mii costumes?! :eek:!

Because people like roy, and he was only terrible if you were a competitive player otherwise he was my main and I preferred him to Marth, its that fucking simple.

I mean, if it's just emotional attachment, then that's cool. I just didn't realize that so many people enjoyed playing as him. He was always passed over in my circle of friends.

And I wasn't trying to be mean, I was asking for some context. I don't feel like swearing was really necessary here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom